facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 29, 2004, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

WHERE is the "policy"?

WHO makes the policy? Kahar Urbor Mostishko Hoite "policies" abirbhuto hoi?

Exactly WHAT is the logic behind NOT connecting a person's handle and his real name? There is NONE!

Eto Dhak Dhak Gur Gur Korar ki maney? Agekar diney mohilara choddonam niye likhto jate tader views don't get discredited. Ekhane to sherokom kichu dekhina.

[Edited on 29-6-2004 by Arnab]

Old June 29, 2004, 09:26 AM
Retired BC Admin

Moderators made that policy. You will find some explanation behind this from my posts above.

In any event, I personally do not want my name to be mentioned in any posts. I'd cordially request you not to use my name in your posts. Thank you.
Old June 29, 2004, 09:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Moderators? I demand ALL the Moderators, not just Chinaman, present a full description and a logical explnation behind this "policy".

What other stupid "policies" like this one are out there in the dark?
Old June 29, 2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Not stupid, by any means. Many male writers use Pseudonym even today. This policy is a responsible and a well-thought-out one.
Old June 29, 2004, 10:50 AM
Administrator

I would not call this a policy per se, but more as how business gets done. No, nothing is enshrined in the "Moderator's Rule Book Volume 3, Chapter 2, Para 5".

We get article submissions in many forms - some are posted to this forum and some are U2Ued and some are emailed. Many times the only identity we have of the author is the nick he/she uses on this forum. And often we also know the "real name" of the author. For articles that are posted to the main page, we prefer that authors use their real names. We ask for it and we also ask for permission to append a mini one/two liner profile about the author which also includes the author's forum handle. We do honor the author's wishes if he/she does not wish to associate his "real name" with his forum nick. In this day and age, we understand some of us needs to maintain a semblance of privacy. In many cases, the articles are very timely and we need to go ahead and publish them as is, even if the original author has yet to respond to our request for profile/nick etc. If they do respond, we try our best to go back and add the little coda. Of course, there are times we forget to go back and edit the article.

This is just as simple as that. There is no nefarious agenda. No cabal. No conspiracy.

Speaking personally:

I would like to map an author of an article to a nick on the forum. This gives me an opportunity to get a broader context behind the article, knowing how the author thinks and reasoning behind the thoughts which is not always apparent in the article itself. On the other hand, I also do understand if the author does not wish to be connected to his/her forum nick.

Btw, my articles are signed Zunaid Kazi. Not that hard to figure out so I don't even add the profile coda.
Old June 29, 2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

An addendum:

If forum members do not wish to have their real names identified we do have to respect that.
Old June 30, 2004, 07:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
In this day and age, we understand some of us needs to maintain a semblance of privacy.
IF they were writing incendiary political or religious or any other provocative articles. But that is not the case here. Even if it is "in this day and age." Let me see. They are willing to take the risk in exposing their real name in the actual article. But you cannot link those to their forum handles. That's plain ridiculous.

And I want my list back. I wasted precious minutes compiling that list.