facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 16, 2009, 06:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Default Change of action troubling me - Shahadat

Shahadat's interview at Prothom-Alo

According to Shahadat, Ramanayake made him adapt a more open chested action and that's why his speed has been reduced. He is obviously not happy with it and thinks his older action was better for him.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:29 PM

Shahadat could have been selected in this series as he has proven good record against Zimbabwe. Don't want to talk about out selectors...anymore.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

He should get back older action.

and reproduce this amazing bowling

3.5 inside edge.... pitches on a good length outside the off stump, Smith shapes to drive through the line past the covers but doesn't move his feet well, he ends up getting a thick inside edge onto the base of leg stump 12/1

5.3 Shahadat removes the openers..... Pitches just outside the line of off stump and comes back in after pitching, McKenzie gets forward to defend but fails to cover the inward movement, the ball hits him flush in front of middle and leg and umpire Aleem Dar has a fairly straightforward decision 19/2

52.5 the bowling change works..... Shahadat gets it to slant back in towards the right hander in the air, Botha gets a half stride forward to defend and gets struck on the pad, umpire Bucknor raises the finger, replays showed the ball hitting in line with leg stump so no doubt there 156/7

54.1 that's four for Shahadat and Bangladesh are rubbing it in further.... pitches on a good length outside off and kicks up, Morkel stays glued to the crease and doesn't use his feet as he sticks his bat out to steer it to the off side, a thick edge is taken easily by Rahim 158/8

56.2 that's a five-for for Shahadat..... he gets the indrift working again, Boucher leans forward for an across the line flick but the ball strikes him on the base of the front pad pretty much in line with middle and leg, Bucknor thinks about it and raises the finger 163/9

60.3 Six for the road for Shahadat..... he gets it to swing in sharply from outside off at good pace, Steyn doesn't get his bat down in time and the ball strikes the base of off stump. He takes 6 for 27 and leads his team off the field. 170/10

12.1 the drinks break does the trick.... Shahadat expectedly bowls it short, McKenzie attempts a pull but mistimes the stroke and the ball lobs to Bashar at square leg 52/1

42.2 now that makes things a little interesting.... Shahadat bangs that in a little short, Kallis swivels and pulls, he reads the length early but fails to see that Mortaza was placed at deep backward square-leg for that stroke. He takes it and falls over to his side 144/4

62.4 loud shout for lbw and its been given! But it had pitched outside the leg stump and Prince is unlucky. It him in front of the stumps all right but the umpire Aleem Dar didn't pick up the fact that it had pitched outside leg. 193/5

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/323947.html

Thats all he has to do.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

aaaahhhh...there goes the mystery...

Well, With All due respect to Champaka Ramanayake: A bowler performs best when he feels the most comfortable with his acion...this allows him to have better control over his line and length and significantly increases his chances of bowling the bowlers stock deliveries...maybe Ramanayake knew what he was doing but If Shahadat was feeling uncomfortable then why did it Take Shahadat over one year to complain about it ?
Old August 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

I hope Shahadat comes back stronger. He is quite young and most pacers his age will still be playing domestic cricket in most countries. I have the utmost respect for Champaka and I am sure he was trying to help Rajib but ultimately it is your own body and own game that will make you a success or failure. I am sure Rajib will learn from his mistakes and one day lead our pace ranks.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

ramanayake ccomes from Sri lanka,where the text book always takes the back row. One wud think Rmnky wud try to polish Shahadat,s action,rather than making him open chested.
But, he is the bowling coach,and surely has more cricketing knowledge than many.so he probably knows wat he is doing.
I just want to see the 6fer Shahadat back
Old August 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Oh, Shahadat- he is such a cry baby.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:36 PM
Cricket Guru

It's not uncommon for bowlers to change actions. Mashrafe had to change his action couple of times because of injury. Shahadat obviously did not have good accuracy with his old action. So, I support Ramanayake for trying to change him. But a pacer takes long time to get used a new action. Ramanayake needs to put up lots of hours with Shahadat and keep him out of the national team till he gets it right.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:04 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

If he can put some work on it and with time can get the speed back, stick to it. A flawed action with high speed is not desirable for the long run.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Let's plan for the future.
With the Current injury crisis one thought always comes to my mind. It is very important we have pace bowling academy where players can be taught the art of pace bowling from tender age and learn how to keep them fit. After all it is a pace bowlers who always gets injured, not always but 8/10 time it is a pace bowler. BCB should take some kind of initiative ASAP otherwise we have a dark future ahead specially on that department.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
Cricket Sage

if he has it in his mind that this change will not help him, then it will never help him.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

shahadat's econ rate has come down a bit, to around 3.5...but his average has ballooned to around 70-75, with a strike rate well into the 100s. thats terrible by even alamgir kabir standards!

his old action was expensie, but his average was under 40, and his strike rate was a phenomenal 52.

i think shahadat should go back to what worked. there isn't any reason why he should have changed his action - he wasn't even an injury threat.

i'm not quite sure what the hype around champaka is, he hasn't done anything outstanding with any of our pacers.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
if he has it in his mind that this change will not help him, then it will never help him.
This is spot on. I'm convinced that the problems a bowler faces when tinkering with his action is all in his head.

If a bowler is resistant to change, feels it is being imposed on him and/or can't see the benefit of it, he is less likely to be able to bowl as well.

Rajib sounds like he's making excuses, he needs to develop mental strength. believe in your self, your natural ability and the rest will follow. 90% of the game is palyed in the mind...

Last edited by abu2abu; August 17, 2009 at 10:12 AM..
Old August 16, 2009, 08:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Champaka is hyped because he is the one nartured current crop of Lankan pacers.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Champaka is hyped because he is the one nartured current crop of Lankan pacers.
well that crop must then be seriously over-hyped, at least thats my view. it doesn't matter if champaka spawned and even gave birth to 2 Ws, his record with BD pacers hasn't been all that good. mash still sucks as a test bowler, he was always a damn good ODI bowler before champaka, shahadat is both slower than khaled mahmud, and more toothless. etc. not to mention, rasel's bowling has also plummetted at first sight.

i think the successes of the lankan attack are more due to their innate abilities rather than genius coaching from champaka.

either that or our fast bowlers are all extreme idios, mash included.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Why was it changed in the first place?
Old August 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
Why was it changed in the first place?
Very important question and we can't comment on the validity of the decision without knowing the answer. Any bowler is granted to lose at least a few k's when transitioning to a slightly open chested action. If I had to guess I'd say this was to reduce chances of an injury, but then again he's been relatively injury free for four /five years now.

About the interview - he doesn't seem to be any more intelligent than his bowling would suggest, does he? Especially given what he says in the last paragraph.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

i want shahadath 2 b out 1day n t20 no matter wat his problem... he is inaccurate bowlar hate his sharapova noise.... ziaur should play instead of him in odi n`t 20..

my fast bowlars
ODI n t20 bowlars: ziaur, mashrafe, nazmul n shafak al zabir( may b mahbubal in T20}..no rasel
test: mashrafe, shahadath, rubel
Old August 16, 2009, 10:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Shahadat never had any longterm or nagging injuries..why change his action? oh well...open chested is the "textbook" way to go...but there are many legendary fast bowlers who did just fine with unorthodox actions and had long careers. And a job of a coach is not only to direct the player to make a change but also to convince him that it'll be good for him. Shahadat sounds less than convinced in that interview. it has hurt his confidence.

and call him a cry baby all you want...I liked his straight forward/honest responses in this interview. He hits the nail right on the head when he says there is no good pacer in the team other than Rasel...implying (and correctly) that himself, Mash and Rasel are still by far the 3 best quickies we have...they are at a whole different level than the others and I honestly believe those others will never get to their level..except Rubel in 3/4 years.

This interview makes me miss Shahadat even more. No other BD bowler can use the word 'Bhoy" with more comfort than the Butcher!
Old August 16, 2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfreak
Shahadat never had any longterm or nagging injuries..why change his action? oh well...open chested is the "textbook" way to go...
Open chested isn't necessarily the text book way to go. In fact, many junior level coaches emphasize on the side on action as it produces greater pace and away swing. There is nothing wrong with adopting either - it's when you mix it up that you risk breaking your back.
Old August 17, 2009, 01:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Open chested isn't necessarily the text book way to go. In fact, many junior level coaches emphasize on the side on action as it produces greater pace and away swing. There is nothing wrong with adopting either - it's when you mix it up that you risk breaking your back.
The coaches I had growing up all prescribed...not recommended, PRESCRIBED ...open chested action. One of them being wahidul Goni who i think did a great job with batsmen like Ashraful, but ruined many bowler's careers including Mohammed Sharif. Coaches in Bangladesh and sub continent are too conservative. they don't understand or appreciate the passion and aggression fast bowling requires. Being economical is emphasized over taking wickets, accuracy/swing is preferred over raw pace. no wonder we ened up with 6 spin bowlers in our national side...that is the "Safe way" to go for a young kid trying to become a professional.

The stats Al furqaan presented shows that Shahadat has become more economical at the expense of his strike rate. I guess that's what the change in action was meant for...turn him into another medicore, no personality medium pace bowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
with his new action, will he grunt more or less?
funny, but old
Old August 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfreak
Coaches in Bangladesh and sub continent are too conservative.
I can identify with that, having trained under Sarwar Imran and watched how other coaches in Bangladesh operate; and this is true for batting as well. They emphasize too much on the basics. While it is imperative that technical glitches be fixed at an early age, it doesn't hurt to think outside the box and fix only those aspects of one's game that are actually preventing him from performing.

As for side on actions, I've seen/heard of a lot of coaches prefer it over the open chested one, but as you've had different experiences with Gani, et al., I guess it sort of comes down to individual preference, at least in Bangladesh.

The bottom line, though, is that as long as one isn't mixing it up (x% of side on and y% of open chested, where neither x nor y = 0), risks of an injury are pretty low, provided one can sustain the pressure that comes with a side on action. At the end of the day, it's all about whether you want to bowl fast outswingers or slow down, concentrate more on line and length and bowl inswingers. Then again, there are players capable of bowling outswingers with front on actions - Debashish Mohanty comes to mind.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Ramanayake should be sacked... I haven't seen any improvement in pace bowling after he joined. I don't understand why every bowler needs to bowl with a certain action, even greats like Wasim Akram do not have orthodox action, same with Srilanka's Lasith Malinga.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

oh, now im feeling sad for him
Old August 16, 2009, 11:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good Luck Shahadat.