facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Taking Batting powerplay at the last minute: is it the correct decision for Bangladesh?

i always felt that Poweplay should be taken at the 41st over when we have 5 wickets in hand. Why des Bangladesh always take it at the last minute? in my opinion, the last four overs, without the fielding restrctions are Powerplay overs anyways, because Batsmen has have to go at it since there is no point consolidating because the last five overs you hit out or get out anyways...

Taking many factors into consideration: Alhamdulillah, I was happy we got 296 BUT i still felt like many of you, that we were 20 runs short. especially when Indian fielding was ordinary.

I am not talking about Shakib's decision to bat first, that's another toppic. the point of this thread is that, had we taken the powerplay earlier, do you think it betters Bangladesh's chances of scoring those vital extra 20 runs. because suppose we take powerplay at the 42nd over...and Alhamduilllah ,everything goes according to plan...then after 47th over, the batsmen is set anyways, right?

point reiterated, we should take the batting powerplay a bit earlier especially when we have wickets in hand.
Old January 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Nope, it was losing the middle order cheaply that was the difference between 296 and 325

I thought they batted very very well after the mini-collapse
Old January 7, 2010, 07:09 PM
Cricket Guru

I agree with Rifat here. If not five, you should be slogging in last three overs anyway. So, at latest, batting pp should be taken from 43rd over.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah I don't understand why they take it in the 45th over. Actually a few other teams do the same. You should always take the powerplay when you have two set batsmen and are nearing or have just passed the 40 over mark. Of course, that's simply how I feel it should be done. Runs will always come quickly during the 45 to 50 overs. I think we're missing a trick here when setting totals.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:02 PM
Cricket Sage

ideally you want to take it when your best batsman is out there. i think it was a good idea to wait yesterday for riyad and nayeem to come in. Had we taken it when kayes/rock/mushy was batting we probably wouldn't have gotten the most out of it. but the problem with taking it so late is that if we lose one wicket in comes the bowlers and we won't be able to get the most ouf of the power play.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: TAmim + Ash

Agreed. It is very stupid of teams to take their powerplays at the end when everyone slogs to get a boundary. They should take it earlier if both of the batsmen are looking solid. Then in the last two overs they can play them as if they were powerplays.

Someone should tell this to BCB and Sakib.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by chol_bd123
Agreed. It is very stupid of teams to take their powerplays at the end when everyone slogs to get a boundary. They should take it earlier if both of the batsmen are looking solid. Then in the last two overs they can play them as if they were powerplays.

Someone should tell this to BCB and Sakib.
no there taking it at the right time, you have to take into account that you want to target certain bowlers the deeper you take the less options they have.

Your gonna lose wickets in the PP best off to milk 1's and the odd boundary in overs 41-45

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old January 7, 2010, 10:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Advantage of taking powerplay a little early is to use those 5 overs plus last few overs to score quick runs. Important bowlers will bowl those powerplay overs anyways and when you make them use those bowler earlier, most likely they won't have their frontline bowlers to finish the innings. For example, India may save Harbajan and Nehra's 3 over each to use at the end. When you take powerplay in the 42nd over, you are making them use these six overs earlier than planned. That will leave three overs to be bowled by the lesser bowlers at the end. Other option ofcourse for them is to have a lesser bowler bowl a over or two in the powerplay.

Now lets look what happens when we take powerplay in the 46th over. Nehra and Baji finish their overs as planned and most likely these two three overs to be bowled by lesser bowler has been already bowled before the powerplay. Batmen would obviously not go after them around 42nd or 43rd over as they would in the 49th over. So, we are missing those 10 extra runs.

So powerplay should be taken a little early as long as we have enough wickets in hand to take the gamble. You don't want to take powerplay too early and then lose some quick wickets and lose both aam and chala at the same time.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:12 AM
Cricket Guru

i hope you guys have seen the disadvantage of taking the PP early
Old January 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
i hope you guys have seen the disadvantage of taking the PP early
Ya we have seen and i think its better to take Power play at the end as our batsman r unstable

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 8, 2010, 06:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I have a different theory.

It is not the powerplay timing. It is the approach to the Powerplay. Powerplay doesn't mean slogging. No footwork shots will end up to cost a wicket doesn't matter powerplay or not. Players have lots of things to learn and implement.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I have a different theory.

It is not the powerplay timing. It is the approach to the Powerplay. Powerplay doesn't mean slogging. No footwork shots will end up to cost a wicket doesn't matter powerplay or not. Players have lots of things to learn and implement.
This too is true, theres a reason why Tamim is our best batsmen during the PP

Sometimes you do have have to throw your bat at everything tho, we lost 2 tail enders anyway ... wasn't a complete disaster

eg: Take Mushy's Wicket ... His onside game vs Spin Bowling is very good, yet he tried to drive it on the offside. I don't car if the ball is a foot outside offstump I'd be more confident if he pulls it
Old January 8, 2010, 06:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Atahar Ali bura hoiye jachchey
Old January 8, 2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Let me say what ZM would say sooner or later about this thread:

EPIC FAIL

PS: Just kidding, but the strategy backfired today Agree with TE bhai.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

timing to taking power play is very tricky. Today everyone was happy with the timing of taking power play but situation has changed so fast after Shakib's wicket... wish they would have wait till the end to take the power play. Shak and Mushi were playing great before taking powerplay!
Old January 8, 2010, 07:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Today the pp was taken at the best possible moment, but then both set batsmen threw their wickets away
Old January 8, 2010, 08:01 AM

After fall of Muhsi, they didnt planned again how to play rest of the overs including PP overs. For Example ...

1. Nayeem went for hit a very good yorker instead trying to block [more than 5 overs still to play]
2. Mahmudullah went for 3 runs making Razzak run out, instead keep the strike.
3. Rubel went for pull shot instead of duck under [knowing only Rasel in hand, 2 more overs to play]

These are all common sense and lack of these sense make us look nothing but minnow. Morons should learn fast from today's blunder.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

The idea to take the powerplay a bit earlier is a good one for any cricketing side except for Bangladesh. Our players are idiots and when they see that they have an opportunity to get a lot of boundaries with all the fielders inside the circle, they forget how to play cricket. Suddenly, they throw away the cover drives and start slogging. Instead of playing like how they did to get to a decent score before the PP, they completely lose focus and just start playing the crazy cricket that we are by now accustomed to from them. And the man most guilty of this is Shakib Al Hasan.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Powerplay kintu almiray shajay rakhar jonno toiri hoisilo....atleast bhodaigula tai mone kore. Or why else would mushfiq try to heave for six to get out without waiting for the PP?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 5, 2010, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

It seems the whole team in afraid or thinking is a negative way about the batting PP. They are more afraid of loosing wickets in PP rather thinking positively of picking up the RR and go forward.

Yesterday, when Mushfiq and Sakib was set in the crease, it was the ideal time to take the PP. Mushfiq got out of slogging anyway. Who know if there was PP at that time, there may be no fielder at long on.
Old October 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think when you take the power play earlier there are two ways to go about it.

1. You have to have a couple of strong clean hitters, who are going to basically use their power to clear the ropes or at least the fielders. e.g. Kieron Pollard, MS Dhoni, Afridi etc

2. The other option is to use players who use their game intelligence by being creative and finding gaps as well as manipulating the fielding restrictions using traditional orthodox shots, ie they will hit less risky sixes but more safer fours, threes, twos etc. e.g. Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen, Angelo Mathews.

Unfortunately it seem that Bangladesh don't have any of these types of players or aren't picking them in the team.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

IMO, batting power play should be taken between 35-40 overs if there is any pair settled during that time. Last ten over you otherwise bat aggressive if you have wkts. If you are short of wkts you won't play too many shots even during powerplay, so let it come mandatory at 45th over in that situation.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:14 AM
Banned

anytime between 35-42 we need our batsmen to play these powerplays, and also play normal cricket strokes. all the need to do is hit the ball in a gap and thru/over the infield. wild slogs will go nowhere.

ive seen so many times batsmen like mushy n shakib get caught on the boundary 2 overs before they take powerplay. thats just freking ridiculous. why not take it n bring them in then go for it? im sik of seeing mash n bowlers using powerplays n getting bowled out.

if our batsmen took them..maybe 1-2 boundaries an over n some singles. nothing rash. even a 25-30 will be fine cos we use up the overs of important bowlers.

and also its about intent. riayd n nayeem did nothing to show they were going for it wen it mattered.

im just sik of players playing test from 35 overs onwards n waiting for the 45th over to take pplay. its just not cricket !
Old October 6, 2010, 03:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I won't mind if they paranoid about the powerplay, but what's baffling, Mushy went for the slog without taking powerplay once they were set. That was plain dumb IMO.
Old October 6, 2010, 04:22 AM
Cricket Savant

^Ur shakib is also guilty of that in the past couple of times.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles