facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 4, 2017, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Default Bribing Culture in Bangladesh?

Any suggestion how we can end the bribing culture in Bangladesh?

What are our roles as human beings? When we know this culture exist?
Many poor people are the victim of injustice just because another person has more wealth?

Would appreciate suggestions on how we can bring awareness to this.
What we can do togerther in eradicating this big problem in Bangladesh.

Old August 4, 2017, 06:59 AM
Cricket Legend

The reason bribing is happening is because people believe that they can get away with it. To be honest we as a nation need a massive reformation to get this cancerous bribing culture out. People high up the bureaucracy needs to address this issue more.
Old August 5, 2017, 03:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
The reason bribing is happening is because people believe that they can get away with it. To be honest we as a nation need a massive reformation to get this cancerous bribing culture out. People high up the bureaucracy needs to address this issue more.
Normal people have to play a big role in exposing those bribes etc. Those media channels some of them work for different political parties. Hence, it's important normal public expose them using social media like Facebook, Twitter etc. These are the small steps people can take for a start to reduce the mass bribing that takes place around Bangladesh. Shame them until everyone/most know about them.

Than they will lose relevance.
Old August 5, 2017, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Eh... are you even from Bangladesh ? Were you born there ? How Bangladeshi are you ? Apner moto outsider er mukhey eshob shova pay na.
Old August 5, 2017, 12:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Once, right before Eid, Our water line and phone line got disconnected. WTH? My mom called me and said, I performed Hajj, I cannot bribe them to reinstate the lines. Without bribe they are not going to reconnect in a month because of coming holidays. I consulted the local Imam. He said, for the water line, she can give the money but must tell them that she is being forced to give the bribe by them and she will not be responsible to her Lord for this action. The receiving party are the culprits. Because water is an essential element for survival, the need is immediate. As for the phoneline (land line), she must wait it normal course (even if it is few months). Use cell phone instead.

They did that to get extra money before Eid.

I think Bribe is giving extra money before the service and to get additional benefit. Am I right? Is there any other form of bribe?
Old August 5, 2017, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Once, right before Eid, Our water line and phone line got disconnected. WTH? My mom called me and said, I performed Hajj, I cannot bribe them to reinstate the lines. Without bribe they are not going to reconnect in a month because of coming holidays. I consulted the local Imam. He said, for the water line, she can give the money but must tell them that she is being forced to give the bribe by them and she will not be responsible to her Lord for this action. The receiving party are the culprits. Because water is an essential element for survival, the need is immediate. As for the phoneline (land line), she must wait it normal course (even if it is few months). Use cell phone instead.

They did that to get extra money before Eid.

I think Bribe is giving extra money before the service and to get additional benefit. Am I right? Is there any other form of bribe?
There are extreme level of bribery. People get away by bribing police/judge etc from crimes such as murder, amongst other things.

The poor people are the most affected by this 'bribery' culture in BD.
Forced take-over of lands, injustice against them when they speak up, some beaten very badly. The culture of bribery is heavy on the poor people.
Old August 7, 2017, 03:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

In the West, we pay bribes as well. But, it's not called bribe. it's called PRIORITY SERVICE. You find that everywhere to jump the queue and you have to pay extra for this service.
Old August 7, 2017, 11:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I heard that logic poor logic before.

For an expedited service, in the west or anywhere else, if one has to pay an extra fee - that is NOT bribery. As that money is legally transmitted/tendered between an individual or corp. and agency. And that money is going right back into the system, not an officer's pocket.

In that system, one clearly has a choice, if he/she or they do not have that extra money to pay for that 'expedited' service, they can still get the service at a standard procedure/pace. While in BD or many other third world countries, if you did not 'bribe' someone who is in charge of the job that you need get done, that file will not move, period. In the mean time you will not get your pension and starve, or will not have water supply or active telephone connection.

But genuine bribery/kick backs does happen in western countries as well, like in New Orleans, Louisiana and New York City. On a limited visible pattern/level.

One of the reasons it is very hard to eradicate corruption/kick backs in third world/poor countries at a lower socio-economic level is that average bribe takers struggle to live with their meager pay next to a high cost of basic living. And fall into a hole from the beginning and eventually get greedier.
Old August 7, 2017, 01:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Bribing in west:
I can't comment on the current cases I am working on but can give you a general idea.

Pharmaceutical company creates a new drug, gets a patent, and gets FDA approval. Now it starts advertising. But the doctors wouldn't prescribe that drug heavily because it is not proven. So now to get the market share, they sponsor conferences through 3rd parties, in Bahama, Jamaica, Aruba etc.; 3 day conferences, doctors go free, family members 70% off. Or take one person free etc. deals. Sweet sweet deals in the name of conferences and meetings is a golf resort beside beaches. Now you know why many conferences are in those islands or lake tahoe or similar places. One hour conference 7 hours field study on the golf course.

These are bribe and kickbacks.
Old August 7, 2017, 03:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

When 17, I bribed and got out of attending 5 hours drivers ed class required for license. My brother said ajeira 5 ghonta boshe thakbi ken, 40 dollar diya de ar paper ta niya ai. Made sense. All Bengali owned school does it.

When 19, I bribed a bouncer to get into a club. We were all college students and underage.

Few years later, bribed a chacha in Jackson Heights who was selling illegal benson and hedges loosies.

At BD embassy once, bribed the guy behind the counter to do some paperwork without some required documents.

At a wedding once, bribed the DJ to sit next to a cute sylethi girl. But didn't work out.

Moral of the story - I bribe whenever I get a chance to get some things done
Old August 7, 2017, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
When 17, I bribed and got out of attending 5 hours drivers ed class required for license. My brother said ajeira 5 ghonta boshe thakbi ken, 40 dollar diya de ar paper ta niya ai. Made sense. All Bengali owned school does it.

When 19, I bribed a bouncer to get into a club. We were all college students and underage.

Few years later, bribed a chacha in Jackson Heights who was selling illegal benson and hedges loosies.

At BD embassy once, bribed the guy behind the counter to do some paperwork without some required documents.

At a wedding once, bribed the DJ to sit next to a cute sylethi girl. But didn't work out.

Moral of the story - I bribe whenever I get a chance to get some things done
It's not in your fate bro, Takdir-dhiro nai. Give up man...

On a serious note, bribe is common. But there seems to be two level of bribing.

One that's done to get things completed quicker, without harming others..
The other is done in order to hurt others e.g. injustice against the poor.

Most of what has been mentioned above falls on the quicker part.

What I was saying is how people in Bangladesh, especially the poor are being impacted due to the bribes because x,y,z are rich..and often get away with serious crimes. This seems to be more common in BD and some of the other Asian countries.
Old August 7, 2017, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Also would like to point out. Any level of bribing is forbidden in our religion. I'm pointing this out.. so Allah doesn't ask me on day of judgement for not disclosing his command/law. It is considered a Major Sin.

The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said:

“Allah cursed the briber (rashi) and bribe-taker (murtashi).”

Ahmad narrated from Tawban who said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) cursed the briber, bribe-taker and the mediator meaning the one who walks between the two.”
Old August 7, 2017, 07:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

It will change somewhat...

In 2050.
Old August 8, 2017, 03:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
It will change somewhat...

In 2050.
Yea by then the whole nation will be underwater.
Old August 8, 2017, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Ehh bribing culture is still strong in developed first world countries, getting rid of it in a third world corrupted country such as ours is a pipe dream.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I gave someone 500tk "Bokshish" at Dhaka Airport to help out with my baggage. Well he came asking to help. Sort of like porter service but he did not look like one he was more like those uniformed staff you see in Airports in BD.

Was it a bribe?
Old August 8, 2017, 10:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
I gave someone 500tk "Bokshish" at Dhaka Airport to help out with my baggage. Well he came asking to help. Sort of like porter service but he did not look like one he was more like those uniformed staff you see in Airports in BD.

Was it a bribe?
That tip is expected .... in fact they actually abuse that system and asks for a lot more taking away this bokshish phenomenon .....

When I was in Dhaka airport .. one of the porter took a young lady for 20 dollars .... (mistake is to ask them how much to to give ) ..

When I asked mine he asked for 50 USD .... I was shocked at his boldness ....

I ended up giving him 1500 Taka and to this day I regret it .... I don't like being taken advantage of ..

500 taka is the appropriate amount I think ...

These ppl in airport are con artists ..
Old August 9, 2017, 02:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

500 taka?! You guys are rich.

20 Taka gets the job done