facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 7, 2004, 12:22 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Rumour: Rafique out from the Champions Trophy

The rumour (from Bangladesher Khela) is that one part of the selection panel wants Mohammad Rafique to be dropped from the ICC Champions Trophy, and instead they want Abdur Razzak to be in the 14-member team, citing Razzak's good performance in the Asia Cup and Rafique's average performance.

Another part of the selection panel wants the veteran EXPERIENCED Mohammad Rafique to be in the team.

What do you say?

My thoughts are following:

If we want to beat West Indies (South Africa are far too professional a side to be beaten by us), we need the experience of Rafique. On the other hand, Rafique is getting old - 34/35 years of age, so we should look for new and upcoming spinners. Besides, Rafique has been bowling a lot better in Test match cricket than in the One-Dayers. Rafique has a Test Match Hundred, however, his batting has not won us any game in ODIs for a long-long time.

Another fact is that England's pitches are very seamer-friendly, and not too spin-friendly, so its rather the seamers and the pacers that will affect a win or a loss of the team, doesn't matter what the spinners do.

Moreover, its the batsman who have to come up with the goods, if our batsman can't do better than what they did in the Asia Cup, then its no use having an experienced spinner in the side. Because, Rafique alone, cannot win us matches in ODIs (i.e., he won't take 5 wickets against either South Africa or West Indies). So, why not think about our future (i.e., Rajjak)?

I guess the balance between picking Rafique and Razzak are hanging in the balance. We do have 4 home series coming up, after this Champions Trophy Tournament. So we'll need Rafique's services as a spinner very much.

Old August 7, 2004, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I think Rafique should be picked for champions trophy squad. He is doing average but there is not enough evidence that Razzak is better than Rafique. Rafique's experience would be valuable at this time.

As some of us is crying to bring Nannu back now it would be wise to give Rafique more chance before dropping for good otherwise lot of us will cry to bring him back after 2/3 years!!

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by sports_fan_bd]
Old August 7, 2004, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

What the hell is going on with this people? I though raj need more time to fix his bowling action! What are they thinking is he gone give us any miracle or something.
Old August 7, 2004, 01:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

I like Rafique.His is the most In........... mamber of Bangladesh team.His best in ODI with PK 77 runs and we has won the match in world cup.His best in test with WI 114 runs. Best luck for Rafique in ICC 2004.
Old August 7, 2004, 02:32 PM
Street Cricketer

I think it is really hard decision to select Rafique or Raj. Hopefully, they will select Rafique, because Raj bowling might need to be clear. Selector wouldn't take any risk in this matter.
Old August 7, 2004, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
On the other hand, Rafique is getting old - 34/35 years of age, so we should look for new and upcoming spinners
I like to know from fans and other quarters , what is the prevailing argument against using Enamul. why Razzak before Enamul?
Old August 7, 2004, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Rafiq has not yet impressed me in ODI, so I dont really care if he is selected or not. However, playing Raj is a bad gamble.
Old August 7, 2004, 10:10 PM

Quite hard to decide. Considering experience, it could be Rafiq.
Considering future and england pitch could be Enamul.
Razzak will be fine, if BCB can arrange a solution of his action problem.
Old August 8, 2004, 12:29 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

personally, i don't care. they both are good choices and both has their own strengths and weaknesses. those strength and weakness are suggested in above posts. they goes so even to each other that, there is not much of a difference whether rafique play or not. if it were a test series, i'd pick rafique over any other current bowler (after masri in any given time), but for odi, its all the same.
Old August 8, 2004, 05:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

its stupidst decesion to exclude rafiq....... razzak is of no match of rafiq yet.......... this is stupid.......... coupl years after when razzak cant do good will we ask for rafiq??? quite amazing quaite amazing in deed........everything is possible in this land of triangle
Old August 8, 2004, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well Rafique's never been as good in ODI's as he has been in tests, but I wouldn't say that Razzaq's better than him. Besides, Razzaq shouldn't be played before his action is rectified.
Old August 8, 2004, 11:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Apart from the arguement of Quality.. there is another factor!

Allmost all the Batsmen(of other test teams) do fear Rafiq a bit... n dont try to hit him out of the ground rightaway..!!

Many of those batsmen will dominate Rajjak/Enamul psychologically!!

Rafiq has got a reputation and Records that gives him a psychological advantage over any junior bowler!!
Old August 8, 2004, 01:52 PM
Street Cricketer

What!......... The tigers will go to England without Rafique. That shouldn't happen. Though Rafique has not yet impressed people in the ODIs, but there is a matter of experience. Rafique doesn't get too many wickets in ODIs but also doesn't give away that much runs. We should never forget, what role Rafique played in the match against Zimbabwe in which Bangladesh won. He didn't get so many wickets but bowled very tightly. I thought the bowling of Rafique was the turning point of the match as the pacers started there bowling so badly. I still remember 80+ runs were given in the first fifteen overs by our pacers though they came back goodly.
Old August 8, 2004, 01:56 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

dont worry rafique stays in. its raj who is not going to england. if raj's bowling action was not questionable, it would be really interesting to see who goes into the team, but his suspect bowling action took him off the competition. bcb needs to work on his action and iron out anything suspecious before they will consider him again for the team.

but frankly, raj seems pretty impressive to me in odi than rafique. i'm sure if raj were not open with new ball, he'd have done even better.
Old August 8, 2004, 01:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

I am worry for rafique.His is a best player of bangladesh team.
Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
dont worry rafique stays in. its raj who is not going to england. if raj's bowling action was not questionable, it would be really interesting to see who goes into the team, but his suspect bowling action took him off the competition. bcb needs to work on his action and iron out anything suspecious before they will consider him again for the team.

but frankly, raj seems pretty impressive to me in odi than rafique. i'm sure if raj were not open with new ball, he'd have done even better.
Old August 8, 2004, 04:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Rafique is a quality player..but there is a time when everyone has a bad patch in form..i believe he is undergoing that..but he still has some energy in him to become a force again..but guys remember the good points..that magical century against West Indies..he smacked the ball for Six's sooo many times man....shame the bowling wasnt as magical as his batting though.
Old August 9, 2004, 09:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
The rumour (from Bangladesher Khela) is that one part of the selection panel wants Mohammad Rafique to be dropped from the ICC Champions Trophy, and instead they want Abdur Razzak to be in the 14-member team, citing Razzak's good performance in the Asia Cup and Rafique's average performance.
Like all rumour "Rafique's Dropped" which was posted by BangladesherKhela is again prove as bad. Wise people should not listen to rumour.