facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 14, 2005, 05:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default \'Super\' Test Match Thread

End of Day 1

Aus 331/6

Gilly 94*, Hayden 11

Harmison bowled Langer 3rd ball of match, wickets also for Fred, Vettori and Murali with a run out.'

I would say Australia just on top with Gilly still there and looking dangerous. Boy, he treats Vettori with no respect!

Discuss......

Old October 14, 2005, 07:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

World XI needed one more pace man in their attack. My favourite choice is Shoaib and Harmison as opening bowler and Flintoff at change. Let's see how the two spinner theory works.

Gilchrist is Gilchrist! England were just lucky in the Ashes. And you can't keep a class player out of runs for long.
Old October 14, 2005, 07:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

they went with an extra batsmen and if Kallis fails what can we do. Smith is south african nd he went with kallis.

Picking too many south africans was a mistake ... as Boucher failed to take few simple chances of Murali and even Vettori. I was watching it in our Office's dinning area but for the next 2 days i will get to watch the whole game at home if weather doesnt cause any disruptions.

Edited on, October 14, 2005, 1:07 PM GMT, by amim.
Old October 14, 2005, 08:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Ricky ponting looks old enough ...& not to mention ugly as well.

Edited on, October 14, 2005, 1:06 PM GMT, by amim.
Old October 14, 2005, 08:05 AM
First Class Cricketer

For Super Test day 1 photos, please visit

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/supe...ry/222033.html
Old October 14, 2005, 09:16 AM
First Class Cricketer

well including shoaib or evn bond in a test team would b stupid(as according 2 me)
coz these bowlers r helpful in one dayers no tests!
how many overs will shoaib bowl wid dat 145ks speed??
i dont think he'll evn bowl more dan 15 overs in a day!
well a gud choice according 2 me on a swinging track would certainly hav bin irfan pathan (i kno u ppl wont agree)
hes a bowler who actually has bin the most succesful wid the zimbos n bangladesh thas the reason hes not in da squad!
Old October 14, 2005, 10:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Gilchrist is Gilchrist! England were just lucky in the Ashes.
Nope. Disagree as you can imagine. If you watched the Ashes you will know that England found a weakness in Gilly and exploited it as any good cricket team should. End of.

He has worked out his problem against Flintoff now though. All great players work things out.

Old October 14, 2005, 11:49 PM
Club Cricketer

What has happened to Dravid these days?
Is he feeling the pressure of Indian Captaincy already?

Dravid’s scores in last 8 ODI are: 5,14,39,6,0,4,28,16.
Got this info from another site.

On top of that he has scored a duck today in test match.

Thanks to Shewag for saving India's and Gavaskar's face.
Old October 15, 2005, 01:41 AM
Cricket Legend

What happened to Lara? He didn't look comfortable at all, and fell LBW to McGrath for the 15th time, I think. They are 175 ao now. Imagine how we'd have acted if BD did the same.
Old October 15, 2005, 01:53 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Joke XI allout for 190. BD team couldn't do much worse. Sehwag played the role of Bashar today.
Old October 15, 2005, 02:08 AM
Club Cricketer

What happened to Inzamam after all the..fuss ...about his selection?

I think they are not playing as a team.
There can not be test cricket unless it is between two countries.
Old October 15, 2005, 04:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

lol, pathetic!

Man!

i was watching Star Tek Voyager instead of the match cos it wasnt worth watching.
Old October 15, 2005, 04:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

World XI are a joke.

Why are these silly matches affecting their stats? Its daft.
Old October 16, 2005, 10:13 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Inzy's combined score of this test is 1:P

Ashraful could score only 1 less than him. Why did the selectors leave Ashraful out of World XI?
Old October 16, 2005, 11:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Pathetic performance. Goes to show that you can't just put a team of stars together and expect them to perform - just look at Sri Lanka. Individually they are not all "top of the world" class (pretty good anyway, mind you!) but as a team they are awesome....

Interesting to read people's comments that BD would have faired better. You're not too far off the mark - as they are "gelled" as a team (or so we are lead to believe...) they would perform better as a team. What a collosal waste of time this super series was...!!
Old October 16, 2005, 11:32 PM
First Class Cricketer

Well umpires didnt use the technology and gave many wrong decisions by themselves. The chief culpris Rudi Kirsten himself who gave boucher out and then Inzy out when the ball was missing leg stump by 4 inches. He could have decided to use the 3rd umpire but he didnt.

Aussies used bad light as an excuse to walk of, but World XI had to bat in such dull conditions.

Bangladesh wont have done better. Bangladesh team that visited in the past had batsmen like Hannan sarker who played against Mcgrath, Lee, Gilly and Mcgil and still scored 76 (wasnt really LBW but was give out) & 55 because he was technically correct and scored his runs fairly easily.

This world XI should have more English players like Trescothink instead of Smith.

World XI bowled really well it was the batting that didnt work. Its hard to beat Australia in Australia because they always cheat ... umpires do the job for them. You will see more of that this summer.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:17 AM
Cricket Legend

In my opinion, if they are to have star studded matches like this - they should not make it 1 Team vs Thugs XI. May be they can follow in the footsteps of the North American industries and introduce a yearly (or bi-yearly) all-stars game. You can have Team A vs Team B. That way the disadvantages are evenly spread, and you don't have to leave out a good number of top players unlike this series.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

What a poor effort from the World XI, and sadly, it was just so inevitable. I doubt I was the only one that knew it would happen.

My only real concern however was how the England players did though. Harmison and Flintoff bowled well, but how Flintoff batted pissed me off.

Having batted so well for England in the Ashes, with his brain and with fabulous technique, he had a chance to turn up and show some Aussies that hadn't seen him bat live much what a good batsman he is, and he goes on the slog and gets dismissed in poor fashion in both innings.

His 1st innings of 4 sixes and then hold out was right out of the Afridi textbook, and his 2nd innings dismissal was a bit of a slog.

He has such a good batting technique these days, good enough to open to bat in the top 4 in my opinion especially in one dayers, I just find it disapointing that he found it in himself to get dismissed so pathetically in this match and leave some Aussies with the impression that he is just a gloryfied slogger - which he isn't.

Edited on, October 17, 2005, 6:58 AM GMT, by Rob.
Old October 17, 2005, 02:04 AM
Cricket Legend

As a big Freddie fan, I am also disappointed with his efforts. But I'm sure his batting will be as good as the Ashes in the Pakistan series. It seemed to me he was not very comfortable with his partners. It is also possible that he did not take the match too seriously. Who in the world XI did anyway? My most disappoinment is at Lara's batting. He was consistently awful. I am beginning to wonder if this is almost the end of a great career.
Old October 17, 2005, 02:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

It could well be. But I would be hesitant to jump to such a conclusion over his efforts in exhibition matches like these ones were.

It wasn't so long ago he was smashing hundreds all over the park in the West Indies with awesome typical Lara flare. We should wait to see how he does againt Australia first playing for the West Indies, although I can see his current technique of getting right accross his stumps getting him into trouble against McGrath.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

I do know that Lara will not fail miserably for 3 test matches in a row. He will deliver the goods because he will get to bat 6 times.
Old October 17, 2005, 09:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Well again this super series just proved that cricket is a "Team" game. "Team" aussies over powered a collection of superstars.

The next time ICC wants to organise such a money spinner, they shld come to Bangla cricket forum and put a poll here for the XI. I guess the posters here have very valuable and logical explanations on what the XI should be, it should be inform, against Aussie performign players than out of form super stars. also they shld give the team atleast 1 month to Gel and form together as a team.

In the end, the superiors reigned !!!

Cheers !
Old October 17, 2005, 10:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by amim
Bangladesh wont have done better. Bangladesh team that visited in the past had batsmen like Hannan sarker who played against Mcgrath, Lee, Gilly and Mcgil and still scored 76 (wasnt really LBW but was give out) & 55 because he was technically correct and scored his runs fairly easily.
What are you suggesting? Hannan is better than all these star players??? Or he is more technically correct than these folks??? Or he plays better against McGrath and Lee??? Or he should be selected???
Old October 17, 2005, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

>> What are you suggesting? Hannan is better than all these star players??? Or he is more technically correct than these folks??? Or he plays better against McGrath and Lee??? Or he should be selected???

or all of the above? Moreover should Hannan be included in the World team as lone BD representative?

Yes .... tell us. We need to know exactly what you are suggesting.