facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old November 7, 2003, 12:57 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

What a bloody shame. Yet, I am up. I wish I could stop caring.

Old November 7, 2003, 01:06 AM
Retired BC Admin

125/9 is much better than 34/10
Old November 7, 2003, 01:15 AM
First Class Cricketer

men we need a saviour for our country our home our freedom our soverienty and everything that makes us bangladeshis .

i feel sorry.We have players like that can be compared with the best.What waht a shame.our very government is putting us down in games like cricket.men y was i and others a diehard fan of bd cricket?at least we would not feel bad!

[Edited on 02/08/80 by Emad03]

[Edited on 02/08/80 by Emad03]
Old November 7, 2003, 01:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

men i feel sorry for dav.He must be working hard but some dont learn i guess.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:23 AM
Retired BC Admin

Look at the brighter side, we are still very much on board at the end of 44 overs with 143 runs and counting.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Khaled Mahmud is not an alrounder... a bowler effective against sub-continent teams... in test matches... and tests only...
Old November 7, 2003, 01:25 AM
Retired BC Admin

Well not counting anymore.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Come on guys. Dont be that upset.

True we are having some real bad days. But its only the last test and this ODI.
Even though I think it will not be that much one sided. The pitch is suppose to turn.

The U-19 and Dev. teams: they don't count. Too much politics goes in there.

143/10. Lets see how much turn it takes.

Its our team, we got it as birth-right and we cannot leave it. So be optimistic please.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:30 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I would say our top order (disguised as tail) did pretty good. They are future batsmen. They are also our bowlers. They are true assests.

Three cheers for our top order!
Old November 7, 2003, 01:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Absoultely ridiculous to equate sporting accomplishment with national self esteem n pride. Please refrain.

Its unbelievable really how some of u have been so emotional n making statements. Bangladesh is just making its way in International cricket, drafted in bit early Imo, and just now trying to find their way, obviously results wont be great. One would think, by your reactions as if it is Australia who is playing so poorly all of a sudden.

Please some of you read this old article by the social n cricket historian Ram Guha
+++++
This attempt to make of cricket a template of national identity and national self-respect begs several questions. First, does it not grossly overvalue cricket as a sphere of human activity? Second, does it not place an unfair (and at times unbearable) burden on the cricketers themselves? Third, does it not encourage a kind of escapism, where the more serious problems of Indian society are willingly brushed under the carpet?

More at
http://www.indianexpress.com/ie/dail.../iex31042.html

++++++

I really pity the cricketers on whose shoulders this huge burden exists. What will happen is either they will mentally disintegrate or to keep the crowd happy BCB will go the India way ( earlier on) and start producing absolue crap wickets at home to somehow win, and these cricketers will then be engulfed in a mass hysteria of joy from crowd n their ego will feel inflated.

Both directions are obviously wrong n bad. As whatmore said, this is the time for building the infrastructure, getting the mental aspects right e, putting a proper system in place.. etc then the light will be gloriously visible at the end of the tunnel.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:38 AM
Retired BC Admin

Bravo. You are really making a life out of cricket!
Old November 7, 2003, 01:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Bravo. You are really making a life out of cricket!
LoL! Yeah I know my nick sort of negates what I wrote there! but seriosuly I do believe that. Its not the same, I think this is the greatest game, it could even be your life, talking/writing on it or alternatively spending hours n hours on it, reading discusing etc but to equate it to national selfesteem etc is too much. I think emad or somebody made a comment like for Bangladeshi freedom or somewords like that- over the top n not needed at all. I wrote that cos I am worried if this is how a majority of viewers in Bangladesh think about the game, then its not right. As guha wrote.
Old November 7, 2003, 01:51 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

eight wicket (Pilot and Rana) = 34 runs
tenth wicket (Jamal and Tapash) = 36 runs

Half the runs came from the last three partnership. Only goes to show that our middle order did not do what they were supposed to do.

In a sense, we should not be surprised. Alok has been off form, Mushfiq is a bit player, Shujon is NOT an international batsmen, Rajin is too young (and only playing his second tour) and based on this batting line up, Pilot should have come in at 6, not Sujon. That decision was puzzling.

But, happy to see that the two debutantes did not lose nerve. Rana made good use of his limited opportunity and Jamal did more then what we have come to expect from a typical number ten.

If the batting gets a little serious in the next two matches, we may put up much better performance
Old November 7, 2003, 01:53 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

No CricketLife, I can't agree with you.

When the Chittagong test was bad, Whatmore was telling us to support the team.

But now look at this 1st ODI - there is no improvement.

The lone player standing who I suppose has improved a bit is Hannan Sarkar. Although he could not handle the short pitched balls and so got out - HITTING OUT.

At this time, we need a Saber Hossain Chowhdury who will get the life out of the players.

Remember the Meril International Cup 1999? Bangladesh lost to Kenya twice in a row pretty badly and once against Zimbabwe. In fact, the players played so badly against a similar strength team like Kenya at the time, that it forced Saber Hossain to simply 'abuse' the players in such a way that the same players in the next match not only scored a highest score of 257 against Zimbabwe, but also made the next match to be a competitive one.

And that match also included Mehrab Hossain's and Bangladesh's maiden One Day International Century, Akram Khan's blistering knock of run a ball 50.

Rumours has it that Gordon Greenidge at the time had taken the side of the players and told Saber Hossain not to talk to the players that way.

Now Saber Hossain is gone. Who will take his place now and bash at the players?
Old November 7, 2003, 01:54 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

For those who do equate to national self-esteem, one word of advise in this early stages. Try to keep those apart (ie, don't think of it as a national disaster yet) for now.

The day will come in the nxt few years when BD will start winning atleast half their matches. Only then should you start making that connection cause otherwise, you are just letting BD down by associating it with a lost cause. When we start winning, we'd ateast have a fifty-fifty shot at it.
Old November 7, 2003, 02:04 AM
Retired BC Admin

Fwullah, what abuse can do, love and caring can do way better. Saber might be able to dictate the outcome of a single game but Dav will dictate the outcome of a generation.
Old November 7, 2003, 02:06 AM
Club Cricketer

NO Fwullah, I am not saying you should blindly support the players, infact as I wrote it will lead to their egos being inflated, as it has occured in India to some, just mediocre to good players but hyped to all time greats level.

criticize, condemn, but it should be constructive isnt it? obviously as a follower, we will feel down, terribly down. I rmbr that chennai Test where Sachin came close to take India home against Pakistan and we lost. Apparently Sachin went inside the room and cried n cried. I was terribly down myself! then the miracle hapned as the crowd there rose n gave a standing ovation to the Pakistan players as they ran around. Now that was a awesome sight. It just lifted everything n put things in perspective.

coming back, just one Test or few days gap, a team is not going to from shambles to heroics. My point and I guess Whatmore's is also a period where lots of things are done at grassroots and a proper feeder system is put in place.

Yes, if any player is not showing the will n temperament n not trying hard enough, then he should be dealt with severely.
Steve Waugh for eg had a huge prob earleir on with the bouncers, jumping, and gloving catches. But then he worked hard at it, even now he is ungainly at them but very rarely gets out. Just sways or takes it on the body etc.. That is the commitement one should try to inculcate in the players. Thts the stuff I hope Saurav Ganguly manages to do with his own prob against bouncers.

YOu need tremendous self discipline and fire to go back in the nets and practice on that. Effort level is what is important.

NewZealand in the past at times has shown that u dont need to be a team full of stars to accomplish something. A focussed n dedicated team can do wonders and right now thats what Bangladesh should attempt. Each one playing at his best, infact outperforming his best, rallying around as a team and fighting hard. But even then there is no guarentee that they will win consistently right now given the skill set of some other strong teams. But the effort is what u and I need to look at, is it there? if so we should be happy, if not criticize but again construtively.

All I am saying is lets not get into national self esteem association with cricket. Its a huge swamp, that one, to drag ourselves into.

I
Old November 7, 2003, 02:54 AM
Banned

Mushfiq on a hat trick! Oh man, looks like we're gonna win this one. England is cornered with only 8 wickets and a whole 104 runs remaining. They only have 42 overs!
Old November 7, 2003, 03:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Amitting???
Old November 7, 2003, 03:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Vaughn gone!!!!
3rd ball of Rana
Old November 7, 2003, 03:05 AM
Banned

Vaughan is just beggin for that 3rd eye...I hope we can deliver
Old November 7, 2003, 03:06 AM
Banned

The SLA comes in. Rana.
Old November 7, 2003, 03:09 AM
Banned

You guys, better wake up! Vaughan just got his wish!! First wicket for Rana, only on his 3rd delivery of the match.
Old November 7, 2003, 03:15 AM
Banned

Mushfiq is out of breath, from all that batting I'm sure. I think our allrounder superstar skipper will bowl now...
Old November 7, 2003, 03:20 AM
Banned

Now Flintoff is asking for it. What's his rush anyways? What does he think this is ? An ODI or something?