facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Reasons people get banned?

Okay, so while reading threads, I sometimes go to the very first page, just to see when the thread was created and such. It is very eerie to see a lot of the members, who seem courteous and decent enough by their posts to have the word "banned" stamped under their names. Now I know BC hands out life long bans, so what could many of these peeps have done to piss the mods off so much as to getting kicked out of the site for life?

For a newcomer like me, this is highly interesting, almost bordering salacious. I'm guessing the crimes were downright crude, or maybe they developed a disorder which they couldn't help? I don't know, but I sure would like to know.

Would it be a good idea to publish the reasons behind banning 10 prolific banned members? Like 10 case studies of what not to do? I'm sure certain mods do remember the exact reasons why they personally banned someone.

And I'm out,

Roey

Old April 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Mods do not ban anyone personally or on a whim. All the mods discuss such a decision together and do not take the step lightly.

Regarding the publication of why members have been banned: to paraphrase what Zunaid has mentioned in other threads (as you may have seen), the members' family and friends may visit BC and see such unpleasant details. It may sour their impression of the said member.

Rest assured, we take any decision to ban a member extremely seriously.
Old April 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I'm guessing you are talking about "What's on your mind" thread. Ya that thread made me ask the same question ones..
Old April 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

These three posts made recently should suffice.
While hyper-linked above, I am also including the text of those posts below:

A post by Shuja bhai on his thread on maintaining civility
Quote:
We are watching with growing alarm that troubling posts are on the rise again. Folks, this is only a forum and cricket is not larger than life. Please act in a way you want others to act toward you. Better, act in a way you want your children to act.

If you step over the line, you'll receive a warning or worse, as appropriate. Some offenses result in immediate permanent ban, such as:
Quote:
  1. Extreme prejudice like blatant racism, religious bigotry, national hate, gender bigotry, homophobia and other similar forms of extreme bigotry
  2. Repeatedly engaging in blatant and vile personal attacks
  3. Repeated use of obscenity and profanity
  4. Repeated violations of forum rules after multiple warnings
  5. Spam, spam, and more spam
Please exercise restraint, take a step back, or take a deep breath when you are about to post something you might regret later.

A response from me on a query in the support forum

Quote:
You are assuming we do not have anything like this. As we have said many times, decisions to ban someone permanently is done after extreme deliberations. The mods are like a community and they DO things by means of consensus that conforms to the BanglaCricket community standards. Even temporary bans are adjusted, upwards or downwards as decided by the COMMUNITY. There are many checks and balances in place to ensure that no power is abused and that no decision is made through one's personal biases. There is a very well-defined and working workflow that goes behind how the board is run.

That is why we urge people to use the report button - which is then viewed by ALL mods and actions are also taken in full view of ALL mods. If you do have am issue with moderation, bring it to the attention of one of the mods, who WILL bring it in front of the mod community.

But do note one thing - there are certain standards you all agreed to abide by when you signed up here. While we are always looking to err on the side of the member (people do make mistakes and people can learn from mistakes), there are instances when that is just not viable. No "regular" member is made to leave on the say so of ONE mod. He/she must have done something really heinous to merit such drastic repercussions.

This is only a virtual forum. That member has a life outside this forum and has friends and acquaintances outside this forum. That is why we are so very reticent as to why a certain member was banned for good. Why shame someone unnecessarily? There have been occasions when even a permanent ban has been rescinded.

We have said many times what usually merits a permanent bans. Let me list some of them:
  • Extreme prejudice like blatant racism, religious bigotry, national hate, gender bigotry, homophobia and other similar forms of extreme bigotry
  • Repeatedly engaging in blatant and vile personal attacks
  • Repeated use of obscenity and profanity
  • Repeated violations of forum rules after multiple warnings
  • Spam, spam, and more spam
  • Preferring emacs over vi
Just in case the humor gene is missing with someone, the last one is a joke.

You will be surprised to see so many of us are racists and bigots. It's shameful the way we play accuse others of the same. We are no better. For item 1, there is no 2 or 3 or 4 strike rule.

A response from me to a query on What's on your mind thread
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Why's the starter of this popular thread banned? I mean how does one get an life sentence on an internet forum? I don't mean spammers or bot, I mean a regular, everyday member. What can one do THAT bad in a forum that should get him/her life ban?

lol unless you cuss at a mod or something, even than people cuss at the authorities all the time. Or you can do the same BS over and over again, even after getting an warning, but that's just dumb. I'm talking about decent members.
As PoorFan said.

Unfortunately, there are enough 'dumb' people who do that and they then say goodbye. Usually, most members do not get to see what they did as the offending posts are either edited or removed by the moderators. So it may appear to some as if an everyday member was banned for 'no reason'. That is never the the case. Modes deliberate long and hard before such a drastic step is needed.

Interestingly, IMO, being dumb like that is probably the second most common reason for a life sentence.

The most common (apart from spamming) is bigotry - such as racism, religious prejudice, homophobia, and other similar hateful acts. These usually lead to an automatic and permanent ban WITHOUT notification.
Discussion closed.
Closed Thread