facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 19, 2006, 10:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Differentiation of greeting based on religion? Cool or not so cool?

Quote:
Originally posted by ikthiander
salam to all my muslim brothers and hello to all the non-muslim cricket fans. this is my first post. nice to be in the forum.
Welcome to bd cricket. One request from me can you NOT show your relegious bias. I know you didnot mean anything and thats how you do it anyways can you still please consider not to distinguish between muslim and non muslim cricket fan.

Here we are all cricket fan. Please do not bring muslim and non-muslim thing.

thank you and once again welcome

Edited on, March 19, 2006, 3:37 PM GMT, by mafizraju.

Old March 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: kothhin proshno

dear mafizraju,
I am a muslim guy and thats what i want to be considered as, whether I am a cricket fan or not. if you want to be "dhormo niropekhyo", its your own decision, my brother. but thats how I am.

thank you again and lets not divert the topic to a different issue.
Old March 19, 2006, 11:37 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

"One request from me can you NOT show your relegious bias. I know you didnot mean anything and thats how you do it anyways can you still please consider not to distinguish between muslim and non muslim cricket fan.

Here we are all cricket fan. Please do not bring muslim and non-muslim thing."

I agree with mafizrazu. There is only one group of people here - and they're all Bangladesh cricket fans - muslim, non-muslims, Bangladeshi, non-Bangladeshi doesn't matter.
Old March 19, 2006, 12:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

i didn't saw anyone objecting when some opened match threads in bangla and in english.. this is stupid that guys just said salam to muslims and hello to all others he didn't said death to all others what's the problem here i don't know... may be now a days its crime to show your way in this world..... even in usa when we see a muslim we say salam but when we see anyother religion people we say hello. no one before this i hard any objection...

please correct me if i am wrong last time i checked it was ok to say hello according to any bodies language or religion.. please don't make every thing about muslim-non muslim thing sp the mods... cause when u guys write it seems that that's the rule here....
Old March 19, 2006, 12:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Kabir bhai, salam, I dont know why some people are not happy with what they are. I am always loud and clear with what I am and that is how I express myself. even I was shocked when I got that objection from a brother. I thought we practice freedom of speech and belief in this era. as long as I can remember, it was ok to say salam to muslims and adab or hello to non-muslims. has Bangladesh changed? or is there any special rule in this forum that you have to hide your identity -especially if you are a muslim? or is it very smart and fashionable to hide it?

I hope no one got offended just because I said salam to kabir bhai. or did anyone?
Old March 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
as long as I can remember, it was ok to say salam to muslims and adab or hello to non-muslims. has Bangladesh changed? or is there any special rule in this forum that you have to hide your identity -especially if you are a muslim? or is it very smart and fashionable to hide it?
Interesting!
Tel me something... did you really use to say "Salam to my muslim brothers and adab to non-muslims" when you used to enter a room or a group of people in Bangladesh? Are you sure? I must say thats a pretty uncommon style of greeting and have not heard anything like that in my whole life living in Bangladesh yet. Which BD are you actually talking about?

AFAIK... people in Bangladesh don't really distinguish between muslims and non muslims at the beginning of their conversation. Or have I missed something on that?

Anyway.. enjoy your stay.. dont worry if most people out here find your distinct way of greeting to be a bit uncommon.
Old March 19, 2006, 01:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think we need to re-read FW's post. She did not say we should not greet every one in the forum with religious or social greeting. (I think that's actually pretty nice).

She was requesting that everyone get the same greeting, and that no distinction be made between muslim and non-muslim forum members. It is probably just an attempt at general inclusiveness....
Old March 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

salam ahmad bhai,

actually I do say salam even when I enter my house, even when I meet my mom, my sister or any muslim brother. if I meet a non-muslim bangladeshi, I say "ki khobor, kemon achhen?". and ahmad bhai, it is very common in bangladesh, may be not common in gulshan or baridhara, I dont know. and it is very common to distinguish your ethnicity, which is one of your basic rights. it is practised not only in bangladesh, but also in the first world countries. people are always aware and proud of what they are. in bangladesh, hindus say "nomoshkar" to elders and it is a common practice as well. I am amazed that you havent heard salaam from anyone entering a room. someone who does not greet is always considered to be ill-mannered, even if that person is a white british. they say hi or hello to everyone over here as they dont have any specific greetings for christians. kabir bhai wrote how they greet each other in usa and bd, from my part I told how I am used to see people greeting in bd and in uk. there is a specific meaning of salam as well. but i dont want to go through a long discussion about those things as some people are not even used to getting or giving salam here.

ahmad bhai, stay with the middle class normal people for some days, you will know how they are and their culture. at this moment my assumption is that you are from gulshan or baridhara and studied in english medium.

in the end, i would like to say, there is no disgrace to state what a person is. and to state that you are a muslim is the best statement a person can ever make. and to hide or run away from it is simply strange.

I really find it disturbing when someone is trying to mock me up when I am practicing my personal way of choice. thats why I mentioned, anyone can practice "dhormo niropekhkhyota" and its his/ her own choice and no one can force him/her to come to islam. its really surprising to see the new generation asking me which bd am I from while not knowing the bangladeshi ways of greetings.

it really hurts to know how hamburger culture is catching up.

Thank you
Old March 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Quote:
as long as I can remember, it was ok to say salam to muslims and adab or hello to non-muslims. has Bangladesh changed? or is there any special rule in this forum that you have to hide your identity -especially if you are a muslim? or is it very smart and fashionable to hide it?
Interesting!
Tel me something... did you really use to say "Salam to my muslim brothers and adab to non-muslims" when you used to enter a room or a group of people in Bangladesh? Are you sure? I must say thats a pretty uncommon style of greeting and have not heard anything like that in my whole life living in Bangladesh yet. Which BD are you actually talking about?

AFAIK... people in Bangladesh don't really distinguish between muslims and non muslims at the beginning of their conversation. Or have I missed something on that?

Anyway.. enjoy your stay.. dont worry if most people out here find your distinct way of greeting to be a bit uncommon.

wHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD!!!!

Well it is not the tradition to sya at first Salam or Adab before starting discussion in any forum, but if someone do that I don't think he has done somethin so wrong we have to notify him this much

I don't think Ikhtiander has done anything wrong or really has done it by religious bias.

Just ignore it please
Old March 19, 2006, 01:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
ahmad bhai, stay with the middle class normal people for some days, you will know how they are and their culture. at this moment my assumption is that you are from gulshan or baridhara and studied in english medium.
ikthiander,
I am speechless! And don't really know what to say about your long post describing the greatness of salam... and I am more stunned to see your unnecessary assumptions about me. Come to BD someday.. and I may give you some insights about what me and my surroundings are about.

However.. you are either missing my (and FW's) point completely... or this time around.. you are delibrately trying to turn the thing to a different direction. There is no question about your way of greeting with salaam. The question is about your manner of distinguishing non-muslims immediately and greeting them seperately. Whatever you practice in your personal and family life.. that is actually not my concern at all. However.. don't really feel like extending this discussion any further with you.

Some things you really have to learn by opening your eyes and looking around. Others can't teach you about these things.

Enjoy the forum. Thanks
Old March 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

salam miraz bhai, I have already explained why and when I give salam and why and when I dont. if that makes me a biased guy, well, thats what I am. everyone has his/her own views and my view is one of the most commonly practised one. but people need to come down to earth to understand these things.

I dont have any more comments left in my bag about this issue. so i guess, its time to change the topic. and I wont answer to any more foolish questions.

thanks
Old March 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ejaj
ikthiander :

I have some serious disagreement regarding your first post. The case of Kenya and UAE arent same. Indians was shipped to Kenya during britsh timne.. more than 100 years now and ppl with indian origin are born and living there hundered of years. Just because, Some players doesnt look like a African, dont mean at all that they dont belong to that nation. PPl had been migrating to different parts of worlds for many years and these players are more than 100% kenyan. They spean Kachi and kenyan languege.

Your base of argument is soo poor.. i realy dont know what issue i can talk about. Just u see ppl have names similar to indian origin and u make a believe that they are same as UAE. This just shows how poor is ur cricket knowledge regarding cricketing teams.

Just as a question..... I guess, SA players are also similar to UAE .. even Australia(?)--------- since.. none of these countries.. match your criterion.

Very poor judgement. : sorry.

Well.. I dont really understand why ppl are making such big fuss abt salam/adab/hello/namaste. Ita all the same.. its a gretting. So. let ppl do whatever way they liek to do.. its completely personal. User ikthiander has every right to say whatever he feels a decent way to greet. PPl make comments abt his way is not what is expected here. Its a forum and everyone's right is to be respected. So i really didnt understand the necessity of Fwulla or anyother objecting or quesitoning or criticising ikthiander's way of greeting. please give us some space ppl.

However, i do disagree with the contents of ikthiander's first post. I wrote it before already. So. i m not repeating my criticism about that.

Any..ikthiander, welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.
Old March 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
Cricket Legend

I believe ikthiander did it all right,and from a muslim point of view,you cannot give salam to a non-muslim,moreover,what he told about middle calss BD people is fully true,i even have many hindu friends who say khoda hafeez to me while departing.

About salam again,one have every right to dostonguish users in a board according to their religion,as long as he is not attacking or discriminating a religion.And ikthiander
also addressed non-muslim community politely.

Many of the muslims are really asking too muxh in the name of uniformity,and i fear some day when some AATEL might propose to ban hijab like in france to uphold uniformity.

Having said all these,i personally do not have any objection towards anyone if he wants to address everyone uniformly,its only that he/she should also be tolerant of others who address people according to their religion,and i myself do not have any stand against people of other religions.

{A footnote,this reminded me of canvasers in the streets. }
Old March 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

salam and thanks ejaj bhai, things just got out of hands when I was being attacked personally. and when it comes to my religion and belief i have zero tolerance. you can see through out the posts a handful people have been trying to teach me what I should do. i have told them repeatedly, its my way of belief. but they wont listen. but what can I say when most of them are moderators and its their website.

I am really disgusted. I thought I will have a nice time talking about cricket but it really seems otherwise now.
Old March 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

request to mods please delete all the messegaes after zakirc and before reinausagi cause it looks like people r getting diverted from the main point and making fuss about nothing to notice at all....
Old March 19, 2006, 02:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Don't worry akabir77
I think everyone understands everyone else's stands now.

Lets continue with the topic. No need taking it any further in wrong direction.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Just stunned!!! Simply stunned!!! :duh:
Old March 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

a classic dilemma:

as shafin bhai has correctly possited, you cannot give salaam to a non-muslim. but you must greet muslims with salaam. so in order to meet these demands, ikhtiander bhai could only do one thing: not post on the forum at all. salaam is a muslim greeting. one should greet people as they greet themselves and others. i have said shalom to jewish people and had them reply with salaam.

so i don't see any problems with ikhtiander bhai's greeting MO. just another example of people on the forum making mountains out of mole hills.

what if a non-muslim takes offense to being greeted with salaam?

how can you dictate to another member on the forum how he should greet other members? its his own f***ing decision. i am afraid the knee-jerk hatred of most things muslim is reaching new and amusing levels. keep up the bad work, guys.

Old March 19, 2006, 06:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Wait a minute! Salaam is an arabic greeting... I have heard it from Christian arabs!
Old March 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
Wait a minute! Salaam is an arabic greeting... I have heard it from Christian arabs!
Absolutely right. It is Arabic. You can give it to anyone.
Salaam = Peace
Assalamu alaikum (السلام عليكم): Peace be upon you

Traditionally muslims use it as greetings. There is no rule which says you cannot give this greetings to non-muslims. It is greeting of peace; can be given to anyone, muslim, non-muslim.

This situation is similar to the case of Arabic word Allah. Some muslims (especially from subcontinent and east) assume that God's name is Allah. They argue with you that you cannot call on God by using the English word God. In reality etymologically
Allah = Al + Ilah = The God

Arab christian call on God by saying Allah; because thats the word for God in Arabic. Allah not His name, He doesn't have name like us.

So give Salaam to everyone, its the greeting of peace. Peace is for all

Edited on, March 19, 2006, 11:52 PM GMT, by Nasif.
Old March 20, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by NasifSo give Salaam to everyone, its the greeting of peace. Peace is for all

একেবারে আমার মনের কথাটা বলেছেন।
Goodwill is what's behind someone's greetings ... and that goodwill is what counts.

I think the original "offender" was only going the extra length by offering both salam and hello ... now that we all know salam is really non-denominational arabic word, he could easily have said salam to all. But regardless of what he said, get back to work people ... or spend time on more useful topics. (sorry for sounding condescending, on pupose :P)
Old March 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
So give Salaam to everyone, its the greeting of peace. Peace is for all
Man,Nasif, you are the dude. If you are running for president I am voting for you.

Old March 20, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

What's up with this Gulshan hating? A communist hiding under religious garb? deceiving indeed.
Old March 20, 2006, 11:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer
What's up with this Gulshan hating? A communist hiding under religious garb? deceiving indeed.
Did the capitalists already retire .
Old March 21, 2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mhferdaus
Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer
Did the capitalists already retire .

As regards to the greeting issue: What is the justification for not greeting non-muslims with "salaam". Does not the Holy Qur'an and/or our Prophet (S.M) even specifically tell us to wish non-muslims salaam in certain circumstances?! I certainly thought so.