facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Aren't we getting overboard with Shakib?

I mean, he is ranked the number 1 allrounder and is a player of great talent but so many fans are talking him up to so much. Places like Cricinfo are littered with BD fans who say "Shakib is better than Kallis, Hes the best in the world, If KKR don't play him they will lose, Hes better than Narine, Narine is crap compared to him". These kinds of comments actually derail a player and make a mockery of their achievements, because they arent being taken seriously. Narine (to me) certainly seems a better bowler for now and Shakib can never be compared to Kallis (unless he plays for another 10 years or so).

Old May 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

yes..and this kinds of reaction are influencing trolls more...now i saw some guys calling Shakib Sir Shakib as indians call jadeja Sir jadeja..this is really sad
Old May 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Yeap .. I'm tired of hearing Shakin Shakib..Just Imagine how those Indians/Pakistanis are feeling

I'm also tired of hearing Shakib no 1 all-rounder.. oof to hoise ta ki.. Let him play and prove his worth.. why do we have to shout every time.. faka kolshi baaje beshir moto obostha.. r kichhu niye kotha bolar upai nai khali achhe Shakib re niye..
Old May 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

As Bangladesh cricket fans, we've never really had a player like Shakib - a player who can walk into any team in international cricket - and that's no exaggeration. In saying that, as fans, we're pretty new to this. So it's expected that we may get a little carried away with our first internationally-recognised "star". Frankly speaking, I really couldn't care less what pakistanis and indians think of our players. They're spoilt when it comes to international stars from their countries, so they'll obviously look to put us down whenever they get the chance. Wait a few more years (yes, again with the waiting), and we'll soon have a small army of internationally recognised stars bolstering our defence against our douchebag neighbours.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
As Bangladesh cricket fans, we've never really had a player like Shakib - a player who can walk into any team in international cricket - and that's no exaggeration. In saying that, as fans, we're pretty new to this. So it's expected that we may get a little carried away with our first internationally-recognised "star". Frankly speaking, I really couldn't care less what pakistanis and indians think of our players. They're spoilt when it comes to international stars from their countries, so they'll obviously look to put us down whenever they get the chance. Wait a few more years (yes, again with the waiting), and we'll soon have a small army of internationally recognised stars bolstering our defence against our douchebag neighbours.
What's the defense against our own douchebag fans? The ones that go overboard both with praise and condemnation? The ones who boo (bhua) in the stadium? The ones who calls the players nasty names when things go wrong?
Old May 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Trolling at its best
Old May 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikss
Trolling at its best
He has a point. Do you? Why the ad hominem attack?
Old May 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
What's the defense against our own douchebag fans? The ones that go overboard both with praise and condemnation? The ones who boo (bhua) in the stadium? The ones who calls the players nasty names when things go wrong?
Is booing in the stadium that much of a crime? Yes the fans should support them through thick and thin but when their favorite team that they pay to watch play, surrender without putting up a real fight over and over again, that has got to piss them off big time. Did they boo after our defeat in the Asia cup final? No and that's because BD team atleast put up a fight that day.
Even in football leagues around the world, supporters often boo their own teams for spineless display. It's a much more civil way to show your displeasure than throwing stones at the team surely?
BTW I am totally against name calling the players. It should be a punishable offense without question.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As for that, I'd say it's part of the Bangladeshi characteristic, nothing really to do with cricket or Shakib. Our nation has a fairly depressing and bloody past, and the present is riddled with corruption in every corner, so what do we have to be proud of as a nation other than independence (which, from what I've seen, very few actually know or give a damn about)?

Shakib provides us something to be proud of; a reason to hold our heads high. We flock the stadiums expecting that rare feeling for a few hours, and when things aren't going the team's way, it means we've paid money or invested our time into something that has brought us no joy, only further embarrassment.

The bottom line is, Shakib is one of the few reasons we've achieved world-wide recognition, and our people are naturally very poor at handling this in a modest and dignified fashion. But in my opinion, they can be forgiven.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Ok. I get your point. We are douchebags as a nation. So it's fine, no need to change. No need to speak out, here in the cricketing arena or there in socio-cultural arena. (Cricket_king - not directed at you but riffing on your comments to vent).

Who was it who said, the world can be a bad place, not because bad people exist, but because the good don't speak up?
Old May 27, 2012, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Ok. I get your point. We are douchebags as a nation. So it's fine, no need to change. No need to speak out, here in the cricketing arena or there in socio-cultural arena. (Cricket_king - not directed at you but riffing on your comments to vent).

Who was it who said, the world can be a bad place, not because bad people exist, but because the good don't speak up?
Hey don't get me wrong, I feel the same way. I've just realised that you can't expect these people to change overnight. How many living in Bangladesh "think" the way we do? The "Good people" you're looking for, in modern society, are usually those educated enough to speak up. I'm sure you already know this, but you're not going to find too many in Bangladesh just yet.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

Yes. We're too obsessed with these lad. Let him be where he is. He has a lot more to give. And we can't rely on 1 only.
Showing so much respect and love to a person results bad.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Of course we are. I am a huge fan of Shakib myself, but I won't ever go bonkers in cricinfo saying Narine's crap and Shakib's much much better than that of Kallis!
Shakib's definitely the pioneer for Bangladesh Cricket and might be the most popular celebrity in our country, but the time hasn't come yet to compare him with cricketing gods like Kallis or even Sobers....let Shakib play for 8 years more.....that will itself be a legendary thing for any Bangladeshi cricketer to have consistently performed for 14 years
Old May 27, 2012, 03:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Of course we are. I am a huge fan of Shakib myself, but I won't ever go bonkers in cricinfo saying Narine's crap and Shakib's much much better than that of Kallis!
Shakib's definitely the pioneer for Bangladesh Cricket and might be the most popular celebrity in our country, but the time hasn't come yet to compare him with cricketing gods like Kallis or even Sobers....let Shakib play for 8 years more.....that will itself be a legendary thing for any Bangladeshi cricketer to have consistently performed for 14 years
Exactly! The thing with our Bangladeshi nature is that we get proud at the littlest achievements and start howling away at everyone. Maybe that's what is holding us back. We get satisfied too easily. Thats why we keep Ashraful and others in the team for years because of one or two good innings they play. We should develop a proper mindset. We should be proud of shakib, but the person who said that he would walk into any team in the world...really? Hes on par with most other spinners in the world, and there are at least two better than him (ajmal and swann, he averages 30 in tests and he plays most of his games in BD) and hes not a good enough No.5 to bat for ANY team except for maybe WI and NZ. Hes great for BD but admitting these kinds of things will let him improve his game better in the long run
Old May 27, 2012, 03:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

We always get carried away with euphoria and retarded bravado whenever any of us makes a mark at the highest level, and will continue to do so no matter how many Shakibs we're blessed with in the future. What's important is that the subject of our adoration cuts through the BS, gets inspired to do even better, and not let any of the hype get to his head.

Shakib didn't (unlike Ashraful, Aftab, Alok and MOST LAUGHABLY, Md. Rokibul Hasan Nauyon) and he won't InshAllah.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 27, 2012, 03:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, mushy

I actually think some of these comments are posted by Indians posing as Bangladeshis. I was reading the match report of DD - KKR game and one of the poster wrote something like Sir Shakib is gonna score a hundred in the final and take all ten wickets. There were lot of other funny and outrageous comments like this and its hard for me to believe that these were written by us. But other than that I like the loud presence of Bangladeshis at cricinfo and love how passionate they are about Shakib and our cricket.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

The good need to speak up
i think there are some other people posting these crazy comments but I think more out of satire than anyhting
at the end of the day what we say won't really make much difference regarding team selection etc

I was under the impression these aren't serious commments but rather the sledging version of the fans and "mental disintegration" as Steve waugh would call it
There has been a fair bit of mentals disintegration when you see the replies/more comments

Memes nicks etc will b there among fans as long as we don't go into the public domain it's probably alright but not abuse them i guess
Old May 27, 2012, 05:15 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

Getting overboard? Maybe. But Bangladesh fans have the right to be proud of a player like Shakib. He's producing constantly for his country and is winning games off his own bat and ball. Narine is having a great IPL but can't be compared to Shakib until he plays test cricket. Kallis is of course in another class but his time is coming to an end. Bangladesh fans need some hope, Shakib will have to burden some of that because he's a good player, now it's up to guys like Tamim, Nasir, Rahim, Mortaza and Riyad need to support him and take some of that pressure.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Some IPL haters
Old May 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

We have a right to overhype about Shakib because lets be honest we dont have nothing much else to cheer about. I watch Bangladeshi Cricket for a passion. Obviously watching Bangladesh win is great but it doesnt happen as often as we hope. Since we cant compete with the big cricketing teams and win on a regular basis (but we are getting to that stage) we transfer our expectation from the team as a whole and onto one player who stands out in the team which is the great man Shakib Al Hasan.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

it's not "we" but some blind fans who write such stuff on Cricinfo.we dont even know if all of them are bangladeshi.
but anyway, fans are fans...some exxaggerate some don't...such mentality is more visible among indians and pakistani fans...we r just starting.
even in BC Anamul who hasn't played a single intrntnl match gets more vote than Kaedge as our second best opener for Odis.
nothing wrong or to be embarrassed, the flow of emotions has different motions among different individuals.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old May 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Shakib is the best.

He is better than Kallis, no doubt. I would pick him over Kallis at this point of his career. He is the current WORLD #1.

Dear thread starter,
20 over domestic game is not cricket to me. It is entertainment at best. Like a movie, mela, puku'rey shatar (swimming in the pond) etc. So I suggest take a chill pill and don't read the comment section. It would do you a world of good.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
He has a point. Do you? Why the ad hominem attack?
I actually meant to say those who are commenting on cricinfo probably trolling just to piss off Indian fans .. Sorry for the post earlier I was kinda sleepy when I posted that
Old May 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikss
I actually meant to say those who are commenting on cricinfo probably trolling just to piss off Indian fans .. Sorry for the post earlier I was kinda sleepy when I posted that
Haha. Next time, get stronger coffee.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Trolls gonna troll, Haters gonna hate...

At the end Shakib's gonna pwn them all..