facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Saddam Hossein Executed

Saddam Hossein has been executed just before 10:00 pm EST. he was hanged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6218485.stm

Old December 29, 2006, 11:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

at the risk of being risque, where is the youtube video???

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 30, 2006, 01:09 AM
Cricket Legend

hmm.... end of Saddam Hussain, the hero/the villain.....
Old December 30, 2006, 01:10 AM
Cricket Legend

.........and with him goes all the secrets.
Old December 30, 2006, 06:58 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Feel sorry for him,,
Old December 30, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Really sorry............It could have been a better Eid for many!
Innalillahi wa inna ilaihey rajewon.........
Old December 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Club Cricketer

I am totally disgusted and ashamed of this in humane act, I know Saddam was a terrible man, but I believe he should have spent his life in prison, so that he could have truly suffered for his actions, but now he has been hanged, I think Blair and Bush should be too, or is it one rule for one but not another. Totally totally wrong, and I feel ashamed that this was allowed to happen.
Old December 30, 2006, 12:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I'm happy he got executed, but not happy under which circumstances he got his punishment. I would've been happier if it was done by all Iraqi people, if not Middle Eastern people. But US and British doing his judgement? Not very happy about that.

I had a misconception...that there are other worse leaders around. On TV, they keep showing the torture and abuse people had to suffer in Iraq during his time. I used to argue that it's done in the US too. But yesterday, someone gave me a very different answer to it. He said that the way Saddan used to punish his own people for saying stuff about him, that is not done in anywhere else in the world...specially in the west. He was a maniac...wanted to take over Kuwait, said that he could take over Saudi Arab over a phone call, and what not. There're other great arguments he presented...and all I could do is just listen to his flawless arguments.

Whatever it is, I know every Iraqi is happy about Saddan's death...but they're not happy about the war. So lets not combine the two feelings. They're definitely not happy about the situation in Iraq right now.

Most commentators said that it wasn't a fair trial...so short? No way possible. The critiques on CNN said "Oh yea, I've read through the 298 page document, and it's 100% fair, and there's no space for a counter argument", while the ones on other news channels such as BBC said "the things he has done to the Kurds was done with US and British help...coz he was their biggest ally...and this aspect of the case hasn't been touched". There are a million others that could be mentioned here. He has definitely received the punishment he deserved...but not with fair trial, and definitely not under the proper circumstances.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of us won't agree on our view...so lets just keep it to our view only and not start a big huge debate over it.
Old December 30, 2006, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
He has definitely received the punishment he deserved...but not with fair trial.
Is it trying to make someone fool or showing the world about foolishness? .........If the trial was not fair, how do you say the punishment was fair? On the other hand, if he got the punishment he deserved.........who cares about the trial!

Even in the whole Arab world, they don't punish people on Eid day. I have to say, whatever he did in past, he must be a lucky that the whole world (except few) is praying for his forgiveness.
Old December 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I had a misconception...that there are other worse leaders around. On TV, they keep showing the torture and abuse people had to suffer in Iraq during his time. I used to argue that it's done in the US too. But yesterday, someone gave me a very different answer to it. He said that the way Saddan used to punish his own people for saying stuff about him, that is not done in anywhere else in the world...specially in the west. He was a maniac...wanted to take over Kuwait, said that he could take over Saudi Arab over a phone call, and what not. There're other great arguments he presented...and all I could do is just listen to his flawless arguments.
You just listened to the person who gave strong logics it is because your limited knowledge of Middle East. You could not argue!

Truly Mr Saddam was a dictator and didn't do the right thing. People didn't like him and thats why they didn't fight for him. On a eid day he was hanged! A total insult to the muslim world.

Now why another country has to execute him? Didn't they make him like a Frankenstine??? Remember Mr Ramesfeld once went to Iraq and shook hands with Saddam, it proves how close they were. Nature dosn't allow indiscipline.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old December 30, 2006, 04:24 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Read this article by Robert Fisk, I assume most westerners nd their leders do not pay attention to what he writes but all are simple truth.

Quote:
Robert Fisk: A dictator created then destroyed by America

Published: 30 December 2006

Saddam to the gallows. It was an easy equation. Who could be more deserving of that last walk to the scaffold - that crack of the neck at the end of a rope - than the Beast of Baghdad, the Hitler of the Tigris, the man who murdered untold hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis while spraying chemical weapons over his enemies? Our masters will tell us in a few hours that it is a "great day" for Iraqis and will hope that the Muslim world will forget that his death sentence was signed - by the Iraqi "government", but on behalf of the Americans - on the very eve of the Eid al-Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice, the moment of greatest forgiveness in the Arab world.
But history will record that the Arabs and other Muslims and, indeed, many millions in the West, will ask another question this weekend, a question that will not be posed in other Western newspapers because it is not the narrative laid down for us by our presidents and prime ministers - what about the other guilty men?
No, Tony Blair is not Saddam. We don't gas our enemies. George W Bush is not Saddam. He didn't invade Iran or Kuwait. He only invaded Iraq. But hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead - and thousands of Western troops are dead - because Messrs Bush and Blair and the Spanish Prime Minister and the Italian Prime Minister and the Australian Prime Minister went to war in 2003 on a potage of lies and mendacity and, given the weapons we used, with great brutality.
In the aftermath of the international crimes against humanity of 2001 we have tortured, we have murdered, we have brutalised and killed the innocent - we have even added our shame at Abu Ghraib to Saddam's shame at Abu Ghraib - and yet we are supposed to forget these terrible crimes as we applaud the swinging corpse of the dictator we created.
Who encouraged Saddam to invade Iran in 1980, which was the greatest war crime he has committed for it led to the deaths of a million and a half souls? And who sold him the components for the chemical weapons with which he drenched Iran and the Kurds? We did. No wonder the Americans, who controlled Saddam's weird trial, forbad any mention of this, his most obscene atrocity, in the charges against him. Could he not have been handed over to the Iranians for sentencing for this massive war crime? Of course not. Because that would also expose our culpability.
And the mass killings we perpetrated in 2003 with our depleted uranium shells and our "bunker buster" bombs and our phosphorous, the murderous post-invasion sieges of Fallujah and Najaf, the hell-disaster of anarchy we unleashed on the Iraqi population in the aftermath of our "victory" - our "mission accomplished" - who will be found guilty of this? Such expiation as we might expect will come, no doubt, in the self-serving memoirs of Blair and Bush, written in comfortable and wealthy retirement.
Hours before Saddam's death sentence, his family - his first wife, Sajida, and Saddam's daughter and their other relatives - had given up hope.
"Whatever could be done has been done - we can only wait for time to take its course," one of them said last night. But Saddam knew, and had already announced his own "martyrdom": he was still the president of Iraq and he would die for Iraq. All condemned men face a decision: to die with a last, grovelling plea for mercy or to die with whatever dignity they can wrap around themselves in their last hours on earth. His last trial appearance - that wan smile that spread over the mass-murderer's face - showed us which path Saddam intended to walk to the noose.
I have catalogued his monstrous crimes over the years. I have talked to the Kurdish survivors of Halabja and the Shia who rose up against the dictator at our request in 1991 and who were betrayed by us - and whose comrades, in their tens of thousands, along with their wives, were hanged like thrushes by Saddam's executioners.
I have walked round the execution chamber of Abu Ghraib - only months, it later transpired, after we had been using the same prison for a few tortures and killings of our own - and I have watched Iraqis pull thousands of their dead relatives from the mass graves of Hilla. One of them has a newly-inserted artificial hip and a medical identification number on his arm. He had been taken directly from hospital to his place of execution. Like Donald Rumsfeld, I have even shaken the dictator's soft, damp hand. Yet the old war criminal finished his days in power writing romantic novels.
It was my colleague, Tom Friedman - now a messianic columnist for The New York Times - who perfectly caught Saddam's character just before the 2003 invasion: Saddam was, he wrote, "part Don Corleone, part Donald Duck". And, in this unique definition, Friedman caught the horror of all dictators; their sadistic attraction and the grotesque, unbelievable nature of their barbarity.
But that is not how the Arab world will see him. At first, those who suffered from Saddam's cruelty will welcome his execution. Hundreds wanted to pull the hangman's lever. So will many other Kurds and Shia outside Iraq welcome his end. But they - and millions of other Muslims - will remember how he was informed of his death sentence at the dawn of the Eid al-Adha feast, which recalls the would-be sacrifice by Abraham, of his son, a commemoration which even the ghastly Saddam cynically used to celebrate by releasing prisoners from his jails. "Handed over to the Iraqi authorities," he may have been before his death. But his execution will go down - correctly - as an American affair and time will add its false but lasting gloss to all this - that the West destroyed an Arab leader who no longer obeyed his orders from Washington, that, for all his wrongdoing (and this will be the terrible get-out for Arab historians, this shaving away of his crimes) Saddam died a "martyr" to the will of the new "Crusaders".
When he was captured in November of 2003, the insurgency against American troops increased in ferocity. After his death, it will redouble in intensity again. Freed from the remotest possibility of Saddam's return by his execution, the West's enemies in Iraq have no reason to fear the return of his Baathist regime. Osama bin Laden will certainly rejoice, along with Bush and Blair. And there's a thought. So many crimes avenged.
But we will have got away with
Old December 30, 2006, 04:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I think it's disgusting, to hang him on the eve of Eid and he was holding the Quran when he was hanged and these were his last words 'God is great. The nation will be victorious and Palestine is Arab'.

The Ap put the video out so if you wanna see go ahead, he is and was an evil man but nobody deserves to die like this.
Old December 30, 2006, 05:53 PM
Cricket Legend

he deserved to be punished but not like this. he deserved a fair trial.
Old December 30, 2006, 08:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah! A fair trial would have found him innocent. *rolls eyes*
Old December 30, 2006, 08:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Is it trying to make someone fool or showing the world about foolishness? .........If the trial was not fair, how do you say the punishment was fair? On the other hand, if he got the punishment he deserved.........who cares about the trial!
I was hoping you wouldn't ask this question...coz I thought I mentioned it quite explicitly. Yes it wasn't a fair trial, simply because many aspects of the things were simply ignored. Check Miraz bhai's quoted text...it'll tell you what I'm refering to. And the reason he got the fair judgement is because, no matter what the trial would have looked at, he would have received this judgement anyway. Now the reason I call it unfair, is once again because there are others who deserve the same punishment. Most notably, there are a few western heroes who deserve it. I may have mentioned this quite explicitly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Even in the whole Arab world, they don't punish people on Eid day. I have to say, whatever he did in past, he must be a lucky that the whole world (except few) is praying for his forgiveness.
Yes, this is something I didn't talk about. And you are right, he didn't deserve to get hanged on Eid day. Absolutely...I agree with you. However, I wouldn't agree a bit with the fact that the WHOLE Arab world is praying for his forgiveness. There's no evidence that will prove either me or you right/wrong. So lets not get into it...please.
Old December 30, 2006, 08:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
You just listened to the person who gave strong logics it is because your limited knowledge of Middle East. You could not argue!

Truly Mr Saddam was a dictator and didn't do the right thing. People didn't like him and thats why they didn't fight for him. On a eid day he was hanged! A total insult to the muslim world.

Now why another country has to execute him? Didn't they make him like a Frankenstine??? Remember Mr Ramesfeld once went to Iraq and shook hands with Saddam, it proves how close they were. Nature dosn't allow indiscipline.
Hasan: I don't expect you to talk about my limited knowledge of Middle East...rule of thumb: critique the msg, not the msger. Keep your pride about your knowledge to yourself. The way he presented his arguments, they were flawless. And I probably did mention the fact that I don't certainly agree with the circumstances under which he was executed. I just agree on the fact that he deserved to be executed. So please, don't argue without properly understanding my comments. And as I mentioned, I don't wanna start a debate here.

I agree on the fact that he shouldn't have been executed on Eid day...and it is an insult to the Muslim world. But did I also mention that he wasn't executed under the right circumstances? Read my post properly first...then comment.
Old December 30, 2006, 08:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I was hoping you wouldn't ask this question...coz I thought I mentioned it quite explicitly. Yes it wasn't a fair trial, simply because many aspects of the things were simply ignored. Check Miraz bhai's quoted text...it'll tell you what I'm refering to. And the reason he got the fair judgement is because, no matter what the trial would have looked at, he would have received this judgement anyway. Now the reason I call it unfair, is once again because there are others who deserve the same punishment. Most notably, there are a few western heroes who deserve it. I may have mentioned this quite explicitly as well.
Very true. Judging by Saddam's curriculum vitae, the punishment was deserved, not the route. The way I see it, this is just another victory in the fight against justice - a farcical trial spawned out of a farcical democracy. The charges were mellow because the proper charges would reveal more than the complicit western leaders, past and present, can swallow. Any chance of an appeal was nullified because of the heavy politicization and western intervention. What stings me is how a landmark trial, as historically significant as this, bore not a glimmer of moral superiority on the prosecution's part.

But then, what more could I expect of a country... err I'll stop here; I don't want this to turn into another US-bashing topic.
Old December 30, 2006, 10:15 PM
Cricket Legend

a fair trial would have probably meant the same fate for him. but then people wouldn't question it though.
Old December 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

regardless of his trial people would claim he didn't get a fair trial...similarily everyone knew this guy was a killer...no regrets about what happened.

as far as an insult to the muslims, with wars in 2 countries, executing a mass murderer on eid day should be least of the muslim worlds problems. besides it was his fellow IRAQI MUSLIMS that executed him when they did...the US had no part in the timings.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 31, 2006, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

As mentioned in various newspaper is he the only one or first one who killed people for attempting murder of President of Country? Crime againest humanity? How about that for Mr Bush gong. For the last three years Bush gang looking for the money Saddam made by depriving Iraq. Like WMD not a single trace of Saddam's so called money have been found any where in the world.
He may be mass murdered. But so is Nepolian, Churchill even our own Sk Mujib and Zia. To me, he is the legitamate president of Iraq and died like a true hero; not afraid of death.
Old December 31, 2006, 04:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Totally inhumane and to top it all-in Eid!. Whatever the crime, shame on those responsible, even if it is sanctioned by religion.
Hope to see the day when capital punishment is abolished all over the world. It will be a truly momentous occasion for all humanity, but I guess we still live in the middle ages.
Old December 31, 2006, 07:25 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Saddam probably deserved the death sentence, and Iraqi people got justice, but have their lives gotten any better? Bush and Blair may not be genocidal, but the result is same. Their method is just slow and systematic. They've started a war based on lies, and thousands of innocent Iraqis are dying as a result of their actions. Will Bush and Blair even be tried for their crimes? I don't think so.
Old December 31, 2006, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

The reason why some (in fact many of us) condemn his execution and trial is because we are seeing a graphic display of of someone who is about to meet his ends in the gallows. You dont see such a video everywhere. And any civilised nation won't display the execution of its ex-leader or any criminal which Iraq did yesterday. Further more the fact that some d@ckhead guard taunted him moment's before his execution is more blood boiling. I hope whoever that person is, meet his end the same way and get taunted before his death.

Execution, may it be a innocent person's or a murderous dictator's, is a dirty disgusting business. The very sight of it disgusts any normal minded rational individual. When we watch Saddam's execution, we focus more on its gruesome death he met rather than than the reason why he is there in first place.

Its is just unfortunate that others who deserved the death penalty more than Saddam, including Bush, Bush's daddy, Condo, Cheney, Blair, etc, are walking around free and running the world.
Old December 31, 2006, 11:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I thought he was murdered.He was murderd By a puppet court.

Whats pathetic is that he was tried for a 'minor sin' in dujail.Whereas his 'Major sins' (Quwait invasion, Iran War, etc) were kept in the backyard. Probably because It would bring America's evil policies in to the picture.

A Gentelman rightly said on Al Jazeera." In a country where everyone is blind, the person with one eye becomes the king , and Saddam was that person in the middle east"
Old January 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

The West has again very succesfully ripped open minor differences between people living in the East - Shilte Sunnis, Hindus Muslims.

The West has always plundered the East, and some of us have conveniently lent them a hand.

So here is the thing, stop feeling sorry for those who you consider to be your brother, because they have murdered another brother of yours. Instead, channel that emotion (or loss of energy) in doing something good for yourself and your country/religion. Help others in small ways - in ways your skillset allows you to. Do not be mis-directed by individuals or political parties of your country who do not practice progressive / developmental acts. Shun them.

We Easterners need more mental discipline. Until we become more tolerant, we will never be united, and will continue griping.