facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Default Potential test/ODI players - what are the options?

i'm pretty new here, and i'm an aussie and have to admit i don't know much about the specifics of bangladesh cricket, so i'm mainly here to learn. i've been going through some player profiles and it seems there are players that either haven't been given enough of a chance at the international level or haven't been tried at all (unless the profiles aren't up to date). i realise some need a bit more experience before moving onto the international level but i'm wondering who are the current and/or future options at the international level.

batsmen:

Gazi Salahuddin - 22 years old solid average of 36.26 after 30 first class matches (possible test option in the future?)

Ehsanul Haque - only played one test match but averages 38.26 in first class cricket having played 53 matches and can bowl a bit. stil only 27 years old

Naeem Islam - just 20 years old but averages 40.02 in first class cricket after 30 matches and 40.64 in list A cricket after 19 matches (test and one-day international option?)

Anwar Hossain - 23 years old played just one one-day match and got 42 runs but more importantly averages over 43 in list A cricket having played 19 matches (should be looked at closely as a potential one-day international player)

Raqibul Hasan - 19 years old, averages 57.92 in first-class cricket, only 9 matches but has a highest score of 313* (definately should be closely watched as a potential international player)

Ariful Haque - 14 years old, well too young atm but should be closely monitored and groomed to be an international. in first-class cricket averages 46.66 in 5 matches with 3 scores over 50 in 7 innings (one century). looks like he can bowl a bit as well.

Mahbubul Karim - not sure about his age but averages 40.28 in list A cricket, only 7 matches but again is someone who should be watched intently to be a potential international in the future.

Imrul Kayash - again don't know the age but averages 43.40 in one-day matches, still inexperienced with only 5 matches but again someone who should be watched closely.

bowlers:

Shabbir Khan - still only 29 so has a few good years still left, 212 wickets in 55 first-class matches with an average of 27.35 and an economy rate of 2.67. how come he's never been tried in the test arena?

Mohammad Shahzada - 20 years old, tremendous averages in both first-class and list A cricket, good economy rate in first-class cricket and great strike rates in both list A and first-class cricket. played 29 first-class matches and 30 list A matches. not sure why he hasn't been given an opportunity at the international level but he should be given one imo.

Nabil Samad - 20 years old, solid wicket taker in both list A and first-class cricket, great average of 25.11 in first-class cricket with a good economy rate of 2.34 in 33 matches. list A average of 23.25 is very good as well. potential test and one-day international player?

Abdur Razzak - should he be given more of a chance at test level? really good one-day bowler.

Suhrawadi Shuvo - 18 years old, only 12 first-class matches but already has 54 wickets, averages 21.92, economy rate of 2.73 and a solid strike rate of 48.14. one to watch?

thoughts?

Last edited by Gowza; July 19, 2007 at 06:40 AM..

Old July 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

wow brilliant thread. five thumbs up... but however, i think current guys should be given another shot in the New Zealand series. we want a very solid organized team, current guys who should be given chances are:

Mehrab Jr.
Sakib ul Hasan
Abdur Razzak
Syed Rasel
Aftab Ahmed*(by popular demand)
Tamim Iqbal

i play simulation cricket captain 2006 and i know all these guys potential, in my game by the time Tamim iqbal retired, he had 8000 Test runs and Rahim had 10,000 runs. hopefully given 20 more years this becomes reality. inshallah! in that game my test ranking was 4th and ODI ranking was 3rd.

rest Mortaza for a game or two
Old July 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Guru

yes i defiantely agree in giving the current players more of a chance. i think i've read on these forums that there's been 40+ selections in a similar amount of matches played. when a player gets selected they need a few games to get settled in so they can really show what they're capable of, and also for the team. the more the players play together the better they get to know each others games which helps the teams overall performance.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yes i defiantely agree in giving the current players more of a chance. i think i've read on these forums that there's been 40+ selections in a similar amount of matches played. when a player gets selected they need a few games to get settled in so they can really show what they're capable of, and also for the team. the more the players play together the better they get to know each others games which helps the teams overall performance.
we never mention one vital factor "TEAM CHEMISTRY". if we keep replacing players then we will never be consistent. playing together for a very long time will build up a solid bond and good team performance.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Add Nazimuddin in your batting list...

Batting and fielding averages
MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR10050CtSt
First-class437462469 204 36.30 5129 48.13 613200
List A36350814 10823.25 1161 70.11 1460

Last edited by Murad; July 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM..
Old July 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Ehsanul Haque was one of the unfortunate one who was given chance when he wasn't fully ready. After that, he had some very successful domestic career but was ignored. He is one of the batsman who should've got some chances.

Mahbubul Karim and Imrul Kayes did quite well last year but it was their first season performing. They definately need some few more good seasons before they can come to the spotlight.

Raqibul Hasan is very much under the radar and need to gather some experience before he makes it to the national team. But he definitely got the potential and I am pretty sure if he can continue his good work with the bat, we will be seeing a lot of him in coming days.

One thing that goes against Nabil Samad and Shuvro is they are both left arm spinners and that is the only department we have too many quality bowlers. However, after Rafique retires they can give Razzak some competition for sure.
Old July 18, 2007, 11:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Good thread. Long list, so will read tomorrow completely. I see a couple of names with extensive First Class exposure.

I previously mentioned that our standard should be raised to 30+ First Class matches with consistent performance before a player is even considered for national team. But to be honest with you, I personally believe that the bar should be raised by ceiling(15/n) FC matches every year, and starting from 40 this year. Here 'n' is the number of years from 1 to 5, starting from now. So basically, this year we'll only consider players with 40+ FC matches...then next year, we'll only consider new ones with 55+ FC matches...and then the following year we'll take players with 63+, and then 68+ matches.

That means, every year we should raise the standard for the next 5 years. On top of that, BCB should also make sure that the national team players get to play FC cricket as much as possible...and for them, they may want to impose some similar "minimum FC matches" criteria too (I highly doubt this one though).
Old July 18, 2007, 11:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

very good thread...timely as well...

really am impressed by raqib, heard of him once he hit his mammoth triple. but he needs at least 20 matches and if he can keep his avg above 50, draft him immediately into the A team and let him play 3-4 series...if he continues to bat superbly, then draft him into the national team.

salahuddin's number's dont seem too impressive and i have no idea about ehsanul. but the other batsmen look real good. pleased to see naeem in that list...he seemed to drop off the radar after 2004 U-19 WC, but glad to see him with a 40 plus average. 3 years ago, i thought naeem would be where aftab and SN are, and ahead of sakib and tamim.

bowlers i am not impressed by since any tom dick and harry bowler can average under 30 in our NCL.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 19, 2007, 01:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: aftab,mashrafee and tamim

i m rilly impressed with this Ariful Haque guy he is only 14 and has an average of 46 which includes a century i think as he is still really young he should be sent to some australian academy for training and after 2 years we can call him back ,if he carries on his batting even better he should be called to the national team. He is going to be the youngest centurian i gess he will beat ash's record.(not sure though)
Old July 19, 2007, 03:49 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Moderators please merge this thread with the old one.

Potential Candidates for National Team(s) Place(s) Thread
Old July 19, 2007, 04:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

The 14 yr old looks promising but most of the time they turn out to be duds and dont fulfil expectations, the only exception is Sachin.
Old July 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
Cricket Legend

A very good thread .I think this player has a bright future http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...er/228349.html His name is marhall ayub FC has 2 centuries highest 145 in 17 matches and with a few wickets as well bowls legspin and in list a ave.25+ wickets 8 in 9 list a matches.
Old July 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fan
A very good thread .I think this player has a bright future http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...er/228349.html His name is marhall ayub FC has 2 centuries highest 145 in 17 matches and with a few wickets as well bowls legspin and in list a ave.25+ wickets 8 in 9 list a matches.
Oh and also him http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...yer/56167.html
Old July 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Average 36 after 17 First Class matches doesn't speak for someone's qualifications. Marshall Aiyub may be doing well now, but he hasn't been tested enough for his consistency. Until and unless that is done, don't just throw someone out there in the hope for him to start performing. That's the same mistake that selectors did for most of our national cricketers...including Ashraful.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The standard of our First class cricket is so low that all these stats means very little. Most of our current players in the national team don't play that much of FC matches. They are busy getting humiliated in the international arena.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The standard of our First class cricket is so low that all these stats means very little. Most of our current players in the national team don't play that much of FC matches. They are busy getting humiliated in the international arena.
it's not humiliation all the time.

examples:

Sakibul Hasan
Tamim Iqbal
Syed Rasel
Abdur Razzak
Mohammad Rafique
Mashrafee Mortaza
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mohammad Ashraful

these guys were not all that bad in the WC against quality oppositions, they just had a rough 3 test match against a very solid opposition. do these guys play a lot of first class matches? i think not.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Average 36 after 17 First Class matches doesn't speak for someone's qualifications. Marshall Aiyub may be doing well now, but he hasn't been tested enough for his consistency. Until and unless that is done, don't just throw someone out there in the hope for him to start performing. That's the same mistake that selectors did for most of our national cricketers...including Ashraful.
I am not telling that he can join the national team all i mean is that this player has a good future and can do well.
Old July 19, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

McInns mentioned Marshall Ayub as one of brightest prospect but since then he hasn't done much. He was given a run with the A team along with Nadif and others but I was kind of disappointed to see the lack of consistency. His legspin is over-rated. He is mainly a batsman who can bowl a bit.
Old July 19, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Very good thread Gowza. I like to read this kind of thread where we can track the next generations. Its much better than 100 Ash/bashar/Gullu/SN theads pop up every time they caugh or hickup.
Old July 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Nice thread... good to see some names for the future. I am really excited about raqibul hasan. I remember that he was sent to AUS couple of months ago on a scholarship. Did he get to play any matches there?
Old July 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
Nice thread... good to see some names for the future. I am really excited about raqibul hasan. I remember that he was sent to AUS couple of months ago on a scholarship. Did he get to play any matches there?
yes raqibul hasan looks like a good prospect imo, a lot of his average has to do with the triple century not out but the fact that he was able to concentrate long enough to score a triple century should impress the selectors. i actually didn't know he came to australia, but i've looked around a few sites and haven't been able to find any information on his time in australia so i have no idea if he played any matches or not sorry.

Last edited by Gowza; July 21, 2007 at 07:22 PM..
Old July 21, 2007, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Look at this guys stats http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...yer/56264.html
Old July 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fan
Look at this guys stats http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...yer/56264.html
anyone know what type of bowler he is? and/or his age? i'd say watch him for a few matches and if he can keep up that list A average (bowling), strike rate and try to lower that economy rate a bit then try him at a higher level. his list A stats are looking good so far though but he needs to prove himself over more than 9 matches, plus get the experience.
Old July 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Check him out http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ban...er/281188.html
Old July 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Not including players in the current squad plus Alok Kapali, Tapash Baisya, Nafees Iqbal, Enamul Haque and Mehrab Hossain Jrs - I think the following cricketers may make decent debuts in terms of demonstrable talent, temperament and technique in less than two years.

ODI Prospects: -

1. Junayed Siddique.
2. Nazmus Sadat.
3. Ehsanul Haque.
4. Dollar Mahmud.
5. Talha Jubair.
6. Md. Shahzada.
7. Dhiman Ghosh (WK).

Test Prospects: -

1. Nadif Chaudhury.
2. Raquibul Hasan Nirala.
3. Dollar Mahmud.
4. Ziaur Rahman.
5. Talha Jubair.
6. Dhiman Ghosh (WK).

Too early to talk about MM Riyad and some of the others mentioned here, IMHO. Monir? No way ! Nazmul has a better chance being the better bowler.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)