facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 4, 2014, 12:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Actually you are wrong. Its not deshi thinking, its american thinking.

Just see how the professional superstars end their career hetre in USA. NFL, NBA, MLB. the superstars even when their days are over, will not quit as long as teams give then opportunity to play. And they retire only when they get the signal the the team will not retain them and no other team will give them contract. There are exceptions, but they are few.

This is a player's profession, its their livelihood, why should he retire if he see that he can squeeze more money form his ending career? And why should I blame him?

On the other hand the management has the job to make the hard choice, they have to make a choice that will benefit the team and that's what they are supposed to make.

And oh please don't compare Razzak with Smith or Tendulkar. They have already eaned enough fame, money and public influence. Razzak was good to us, but he is nowhere near them and IO am not sure he is as financially solvent like Sakib or Tamim or Mushfiq. So why should I expect that he would voluntarily retire?

Actually your way of sentimal thinking is more in line with Deshi thinking.
Yeah. Kinda reminds me of the Habibul Bashar saga. No one wants to lose their livelihood. He has to be let go, or very soon people won't even remember his past success. The present always counts in people's minds.

Old March 4, 2014, 12:36 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Abdur Razzak,

I have been one of your strongest believers that you have something that troubles batsmen's since the first time watched you against India in the 2007 WC, BUT sadly I see there's nothing danger about you any more and you have lost it - the recent performances shows that.
There is no quality whatsoever In your bowling, too many short and down-the-leg stuffs in your overs and every spells its just not International standard, sorry to say. TODAY the nation needed you to deliver at least economically but you have failed pathetically.

It's time to retire and allow some enthusiastic/Inspired/motivated young talent to have chances.

Thanks for the good memories, my fav has to be the 2007 wc against India.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. Its not deshi thinking, its american way of thinking.

Just see how the professional superstars end up their career here in USA. NFL, NBA, MLB. the superstars when their days are over, will not quit as long as teams give them opportunity to play. And they retire only when they get the signal that the team will not retain them and no other team will give them another contract. There are exceptions, but they are few.

This is a player's profession, its their livelihood, why should he retire if he see that he can squeeze more money at the end of his career? And why should I blame him for that?
You can't compare franchise league with national games. In NBA, NFL, players hop around and even come out of retirements to play few more seasons. There is no sense of tremendous loyalty except for few players. That comparison works with IPL/BBL. But not with national teams. Money is but a small thing when you represent the country.

If you are not good enough then you just call it quits.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
You can't compare franchise league with national games. In NBA, NFL, players hop around and even come out of retirements to play few more seasons. There is no sense of tremendous loyalty except for few players. That comparison works with IPL/BBL. But not with national teams. Money is but a small thing when you represent the country.

That sounds very cool and patriotic, but does all of our players believe the same? The body language of some players on the field and Mushy's list of 4 players don't seem to suggest so.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:47 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. Its not deshi thinking, its american way of thinking.

Just see how the professional superstars end up their career here in USA. NFL, NBA, MLB. the superstars when their days are over, will not quit as long as teams give them opportunity to play. And they retire only when they get the signal that the team will not retain them and no other team will give them another contract. There are exceptions, but they are few.

This is a player's profession, its their livelihood, why should he retire if he see that he can squeeze more money at the end of his career? And why should I blame him for that?
Damn, I forgot my (and Orphy's) rule of never arguing with you because you will ALWAYS offer arguments without CONTEXT.

In the American system teams are CUTTHROAT. Peyton Manning a living legend, was released just because his arm MIGHT not have recovered and he'd have been worth the money. Joe Montana was traded to Kansas City because Steve Young was thought to have better upside. Michael Jordan was forced to retire because he was getting old and he was told the Bulls team was going to be dismantled and rebuilt. Shaq was traded from Lakers because management did a cost-benefit and decided the younger Kobe was worth investing in. In an environment where the management and selection process is extremely bottom-line driven, it behooves the player to extend his career as much as he can because he knows he will be pushed out the moment he stops producing as per his cost.

Comparing NFL/NBA American sports culture to cricket culture just shows a fondness for argument. Nothing else. I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post or whatever drivel you come up with as a response to this.

Note: reflecting my own position and not an official BC one.

Last edited by RazabQ; March 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: added disclaimer
Old March 4, 2014, 12:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

Mufi, I'm glad you too see the absurdity of Fazal's point. -- As myself
Old March 4, 2014, 01:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

Who make that decision that "you are not good enough"? the player or selectors?

It's not the honor system and player's job to declare "I am not good enough", it the role of selectors and captain/coach to select the right players. A player is not putting a gun to the selector's head, it's the failure of the selector and captain to select the right players.
If you think player have the responsibility to access themselves and declare themselves they are not good enough, then why we need selectors and captains to select the team? get rid of them and keep expecting the palyers will self evaluate and say "I am not good enough for the team".... and keep wishing.... that will never happen.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Damn, I forgot my (and Orphy's) rule of never arguing with you because you will ALWAYS offer arguments without CONTEXT.
sure if that is your method to counter argument with another fellow member please continue to show your true class. We can always agree to disagree, but no point to argue any further with you when you take your argument to that low.

Keep going on boss. You showed your true class.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

To Arafat Sunny, Taijul, Shohrowardy, Roubel and others - time for you to step up and replace a legendary player.
Yep. Abdur Razzak had really done well in past to stay above so many other SLAs qued up for his slot in the national team, but age has finally caught up with him.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Calm down bros.

If senior citizens like yourself behave as such what message are you giving to youths like myself? Its sort of like what Razzak is doing. Poor role model for everyone/
Old March 4, 2014, 01:59 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Guess what? It was his 150th match.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:06 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Well, its been 3 years since he lost his mojo yet we been sticking with him.

-avg 40 in 2011
-avg 20.75 in 2012 but we only played 9 odi
-38.44 in 2013
-92 this year so far

So last 3 years he avg 36; only picked up 44 wickets in 39 matches, and some people call him a genuine wicket taking bowler.

I would have taken those stats if it was from a Fast bowler but he is a SLA and we have loads of them who I feel could do better if given opportunity like he has been getting. Plus his fielding gives away 5 runs per game on average and that could make a lot of difference in modern cricket, specially in T20. his body language is pisses me off the most...
Old March 4, 2014, 02:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

The way our selector, captain and coach! picks the team, even if a great player loses his one hand he can continue with the team until his avg drops to poor which it will (unless a one handed player can play better then razzak).

I understand he was great but can't you guys see his body language that he lost his mojo?

Normally i am against dropping old! players after few bad games. But this is the second time i am in the band wagon of dropping him and that is before the asia cup started. 1st time i wanted to drop pilot for Mushi and see what that has given us...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 4, 2014, 02:52 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

''Yeah yeah, actually you're right, but you know what? I'm a very big LOSER actually, so yeah I won't retire unless someone kicks me out actually!''

Really had enough of this guy, this guy was one of the MAIN reasons we lost the last two matches against the Afghans and Pakistan today. When a part-timer like Mominul bowls maidens and takes wickets at will, then you should really just stop playing the game out of shame if not anything else.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:06 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

He will not retire, but should be phased out. Will the genius selectors and great skipper see that AR is now running on fumes? Or that, his best days are behind him. Or that, he no longer has it.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

with so many SLA options i see no reason to pick an inform one since razzak isn't bowling well.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:13 PM
Cricket Guru

At this moment since he will not retire bd so no option but to play him and pray that he get some form back as he is in the T20 list which cannot be changed unless the player is injured.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Do we actually know he said that?
Old March 4, 2014, 04:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
He will not retire, but should be phased out. Will the genius selectors and great skipper see that AR is now running on fumes? Or that, his best days are behind him. Or that, he no longer has it.
Exactly. Its selectors (selector, captain, coach) job to not select a out-of-form player, it's selector's job to select the best possible team. If it means dropping a senior player like Razzak, they should have the balls to do that. If they can 't do that, then I demand they resign. Because its selector's prime responsibility to do that, not the off-form player's responsibility to retire and make selector's life easier.

The end result what need to happen we all agree, how it need to happen that's where I disagree with some fans.

Last edited by Fazal; March 4, 2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old March 4, 2014, 05:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Razzak is the bowling version of SN. Check his stats against Zim/Ken vs. top 8 and you will see the difference.
Old March 4, 2014, 05:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Do we actually know he said that?
know what?
Old March 4, 2014, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

I agree with Fazal. Fazal nicely explained why a professional player dont want to retire.

I clearly remember when Razzak was at his peak form, he was not picked for the national team. And now that he is out of form, he is getting picked. Its obvious his mind and heart is just not there totally, something is bothering him or he pretty much just reached the end of his career. Razzak is also not dominating in domestics for a while now. He needs a break to sort things out.

Selectors need to do a much better job next time and pick the player who is in form rather than thinking about experience who is not effective due to form or other issues....

Last edited by reyme; March 4, 2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old March 4, 2014, 07:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

i feel bad saying this being a fan of Lala. time has come for him to vacate the spot
Old March 4, 2014, 11:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
fan of razzak here..his contributions to the team is undeniable..an unsung hero for BD team, but time has come to step down from international cricket
thank you razzak fan.... so we have it .... razzak should be replaced by sunny
Old March 4, 2014, 11:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

This is Bangladesh. Rex won't retire. He'd be allowed to fade even more, the way HaBa was, until he starts bowling at least 4 boundary balls per over.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)