facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 25, 2004, 08:48 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Three new test venues

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has set out a plan to increase the number of Test venues in the country from two to five.
After the successfully staging of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup in eight different venues across the country last year, the Board has short-listed Shaheed Chandu Stadium in Bogra, Khulna Divisional Stadium and Chittagong Divisional Stadium as possible venues for future international games.

Presently, both one-day and Test matches are being held at the all-purpose Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka and the MA Aziz Stadium in Chittagong.

"If everything goes accordingly we are hopeful of holding at least one one-day international each in Bogra and Khulna during our home series against New Zealand," said BCB's grounds committee member secretary Rafiqul Islam Babu yesterday.

The Kiwis will fly to Bangladesh in October to play their first away series against the Tigers.

The Board has already started its groundwork to upgrade the three venues before the arrival of an ICC inspection team in July.

"I think there is little chance to get a negative response from the ICC inspectors because the three venues have already impressed the high-ups of the game's ruling body during the U-19 World Cup. ICC president Ehsan Mani has already spoken highly of the Khulna Divisional Stadium," he said.

"The ground staff have already put everything in place and I think all the venues are ready to hold international matches. Besides, the media committee is also working out details of the facilities needed for each venue."

However, the Board decided to explore new venues apparently in an effort to end its age-old row over the possession of the BNS with the Bangladesh Football Federation, who wanted it exclusively for soccer from January next year.

Besides, the Board also seemed reluctant to carry on its sharing policy of country's second Test venue in Chittagong's MA Aziz Stadium.

"We are facing the same problem at the MA Aziz Stadium where cricket, football and even hockey is being played. The multipurpose use seriously hampers our preparation of wickets. I think with the Divisional Stadium ready Test matches can be played there if necessary," said Rafiqul.

Among the three venues Shaheed Chandu Stadium in Bogra has been described as the next best place after the Basin Reserve in New Zealand. Shaped in modern design, 12,000 capacity stadium boasts an attractive members' stand and a decent-sized press box. Another important factor in its favour is the enormous crowd appeal that was generated during its inaugural match between Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka in the juvenile meet.

Khulna Divisional Stadium is a picturesque ground and the region is popular among tourists since it is the home of the Royal Bengal Tiger and of course the Sundarbans, the largest mangrove forest in the world.

Source: Daily Star

Old May 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

This 1 more Test venue was supposed to be prepared right after the U-19 World Cup, but India's rejection to come to Bangladesh this April has hampered with the BCB's plans to introduce a new Test venue.
Old May 26, 2004, 08:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Nascer]
Old May 26, 2004, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Bogra and Khulna don't have standard hotels to host the visitors do they?
Old May 26, 2004, 12:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Do we really need that many test venues? Our current test series only feature 2 tests nad 3 ODIs (except for the Pak tour). How are we going to maintain this many international venues?!
Old May 26, 2004, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

are bolse r ki kothar kotha...eita ki r korbe naki...sheikh hasinao to bolsilo j ekta int'l standard math banabe dhakay...tarpor shetar r kisui hoy nai...eta amader bangalider kothar kotha r ki...
Old May 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Both Bogra & Khulna have standard hotels. In Bogra recently modified Parjoton Motel & Safeway Hotel both are 3/4 star rating. On the other hand Royal Hotel in Khulna in my view is also equivalent to chittegong's Agrabad Hotel in terms of facilities.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Besides, they don't "maintain" these grounds, except only before a match or series. I don't see the point of having a whole bunch of test venues when your team is in the gutter.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by billah
Besides, they don't "maintain" these grounds, except only before a match or series. I don't see the point of having a whole bunch of test venues when your team is in the gutter.
Its true but I'm sure we'll get three new ODI venues(Mirpur,Chg & bogra)within next 12 months. This is because Fatulla has no quality press box. And from next year Dhaka st will be only for football & same for M A Aziz stadium.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Both Bogra & Khulna have standard hotels. In Bogra recently modified Parjoton Motel & Safeway Hotel both are 3/4 star rating. On the other hand Royal Hotel in Khulna in my view is also equivalent to chittegong's Agrabad Hotel in terms of facilities.
Note that 3/4 star that Bangladeshis apply to their hotels is meaningless. Even Sonargaon at best is a 4 star hotel (not 5 star as popularly miscontrued - all you need to do is go to a real 5 star in a major city of the world to see the point)

But it doesn't matter - as long as there is a decent hotel or two near the venue it's OK.

I am all for the Zia clan building up Bogra. But hate to see that Sylhet and the Northwest districts like Rajshahi are getting shut out. Especially with tourism options in Sylhet (no I am not from there)

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by rafiq]
Old May 26, 2004, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally posted by billah
when your team is in the gutter.
ouucchh! brutal!!
I can see the frustration balooning up...yet we the die hard fans live with the dream

:embaressed:
Old May 26, 2004, 12:54 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Note that 3/4 star that Bangladeshis apply to their hotels is meaningless. Even Sonargaon at best is a 4 star hotel (not 5 star as popularly miscontrued - all you need to do is go to a real 5 star in a major city of the world to see the point)

But it doesn't matter - as long as there is a decent hotel or two near the venue it's OK.

I am all for the Zia clan building up Bogra. But hate to see that Sylhet and the Northwest districts like Rajshahi are getting shut out. Especially with tourism options in Sylhet (no I am not from there)

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by rafiq]
actually we have only one 5 star hotel. And it's also true that they selected Bogra for political reasons but Bogra is well developed. And from my personal experience I can say that you will get better hotels in Bogra compared to Rajshahi.I have no idea about Sylhet.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by reverse_swing]
Old May 26, 2004, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

word from my home districts is that people in naogaon are ready to vote for Bangla Bhai if they have to in order to get some development out there!!
Old May 26, 2004, 01:33 PM
Chief Moderator

yep that will be an ultimate development for Naogaon People
Old May 26, 2004, 01:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
are bolse r ki kothar kotha...eita ki r korbe naki...sheikh hasinao to bolsilo j ekta int'l standard math banabe dhakay...tarpor shetar r kisui hoy nai...eta amader bangalider kothar kotha r ki...
Don't worry bruvz, ICC is Asia or vice versa

We'll keep getting money from ICC for our infrastructural developments.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Zephaniah]