facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers
Default Organized Campaign to Protest Bangladesh-Indian Border Abuse!

Dear BC members,

Like all of you, we have been shocked and saddened by the atrocities committed by the BSF (Border Security Force) at the Bangladesh-Indian border. We think one approach towards countering this is making Bangladeshis, Indian citizens and the rest of the world aware of this abuse, and would like to use an organized mail/social media-based peaceful protest campaign to bring this about.

A recent study by a human rights group named Odhikar shows that about 1 Bangladeshi being killed every 4-5 days for the past 12 years. Please see the table below.

Many BC members have already expressed an interest in such an initiative, and we welcome their involvement and participation:

BANFAN, BD_2015, Faguner Agun, firstlane, F6_Turbo, HereWeGo, Isnaad, Kalpurush, Mufi_02, Nakedzero, Night_Wolf, oronnya, playmaker, rifat @cri, roman, simon, shaad, Tigers_Eye and idrinkh2O.

Please let us know in this thread or by PM, if you also are interested in taking part. We will be using this thread to discuss and organize approaches and strategies, so please feel free to make suggestions and offer critiques.

Let's Do It Together!
Let's Make a Difference!
Let's Stop the Hate Crimes!
Let's Stop all Border Killings Between India and Bangladesh!
Let Our Voices Be Heard on Behalf of Our Bangladesh-Indian Border Community!

Thank You!!!

Old March 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Old March 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Photo: Sadatuddin Ahmed Amil
Brig Gen Shahedul Anam Khan ndc, psc (Retd)

Deaths from BSF firing have assumed disquieting proportion, and the Indian authorities seem to be able to do nothing about it. And only recently has the Bangladesh government been spurred, by criticisms at home and prodding from the Border Guards Bangladesh (and perhaps from abroad in the form of a report by the International Commission on Human rights about the border killings), to summon the Indian high commissioner to register its condemnation of BSF action.

This was in the wake of the brutal and senseless killing (that is how the particular killing was described by the Bangladesh foreign ministry reportedly) of a 15 year old girl by the BSF on January 7. The situation had come to such a pass that the chairman of the Bangladesh Human Rights Commission was constrained to invoke the help of his Indian counterpart.

One is at a loss to rationalise the trigger-happy attitude of the BSF, and even more at the fact that the killings have gone on in spite of the declaration of unilateral moratorium on border firings by the Indian government, and assurances of the BSF authorities at the very highest level of command that such killings would cease. Statistics of border deaths belie the much vaunted excellent state of relationship between the two countries.

Felani's killing (that was the name of the poor girl who was shot like a sitting duck literally when her sari got entangled in the barbed wire she was trying to negotiate in her attempt to cross the border illegally) makes BSF explanations of the shootings, and the descriptions of those being killed as being criminals and felons armed to the teeth, sound hollow. It is a fig leaf that fails to hide their contempt for human lives. And hiding behind semantics and resorting to verbal subterfuge like these are not killings but death by firing, as the BSF DG tried unsuccessfully during his visit to Dhaka in September of 2010, doesn't assuage the feelings of those affected.

It just so happens that a meeting of Bangladesh-India JWG on security is on in Dhaka currently and as one paper has reported, both the countries "have agreed on the need to stop border killing." Is it not such an obvious matter that needs no consultation to "agree upon?" Instead, what one would have liked to hear is what steps would be taken to that end?

However, we have been given to understand that the Indian government, in order to prevent deaths in the border, is thinking of providing the BSF with rubber bullets instead of metal ones, to fire at the trespassers, majority of whom, going by the number of reported deaths in BSF firing, happens to be Bangladeshis. And Bangladesh has taken the credit for suggesting such an alternative.

A bullet, whatever it is one chooses to coat it with, rubber, or sugar or honey, will still hurt, and if it happens to strike at a sensitive spot of the human anatomy, may very well kill. Therefore, neither can one take satisfaction in suggesting it as an alternative to metal bullets nor should one feel elated by accepting the suggestion. It is a bad alternative to an equally reprehensible use of illegitimate and disproportionate use of force. And there is nothing to exalt at the new arrangement, since it sanctifies a bad alternative without going into the very fundamental nature of the problem; neither does it guarantee the physical safety of those that choose to use the border illegally, but nonetheless don't deserve death as a consequence of breach of the border.

Rubber bullet, according to the manuals, is rubber or rubber-coated projectile which is intended to be a non-lethal alternative to metal projectiles and is used for short range practice and animal control, but is most commonly associated with use in riot control and to disperse protests. According to experts, these are kinetic impact munitions meant to cause pain but not serious injury.

Rubber bullets are used at close quarters, but if used indiscriminately can prove lethal; they may cause bone fractures, injuries to internal organs, or death. In a study of 90 patients in Northern Ireland, one died, 17 suffered permanent disabilities or deformities and 41 required hospital treatment after being fired upon with rubber bullets.

Since the core element is metal the risk to life remains from misuse, particularly where intentions are hostile. It is more of a defensive expedient, but given the psychological disposition of the Indian border guards, the palliative, poor as it is, will not work.

Regrettably, the Bangladesh-India border is not as well managed as it might be. And changing the type of weaponry only is not the answer to a situation which requires a change of mindset of the BSF. Some of the deaths have been due to torture also.

Managing the Bangladesh-India border requires a deep understanding of the intricate nature of the border, a border that is not like borders between any two countries. Thus the rationale of rubber bullets is full of holes. And a hole is a hole is hole, as much as a bullet is a bullet is a bullet.

THE AUTHOR IS EDITOR, DEFENCE & STRATEGIC AFFAIRS, THE DAILY STAR.

source: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=170706
Old March 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Can we write an official letter to the Prime Minister of India addressing the issue? just a thought. PM me if you need me type a rough draft? I am here to help!
Old March 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Can we write an official letter to the Prime Minister of India addressing the issue? just a thought. PM me if you need me type a rough draft? I am here to help!
Good idea We can also send e-mails, letters to BBC or CNN requesting to highlight this issue
Old March 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

good ideas senior rifat and jnr Rifat

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old March 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat @cri
Good idea We can also send e-mails, letters to BBC or CNN requesting to highlight this issue
Rifat and rifat, thanks for your help and support.

Excellent ideas.
Yes, we'll write one to the Prime Ministers of India and Bangladesh and send letters/e-mails to the media.
@ Rifat bro, please go ahead with your rough draft and PM to me or one of our team members. @rifat bro, we'll do it together inshAllah.

Team
idrinkh2O/mufi_02/simon/shaad/BANFAN/F6_Turbo
Old March 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Cricket Sage

rifat@cri,

Excellent idea, man! Alhamdulillah! What would be more effective is video footage's of innocent civilians getting killed broadcast-ed on CNN, that would definitely raise a lot of awareness, and BSF would feel the pressure that the whole world is watching their horrendous crime.

the GUILT TRAP always works....always
CNN can always do a special report(even half an hour should do it)
Old March 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
Banned

I got the pm and I am here to participate. Let me know how I can assist. And if I can think of anything (other than what you proposed) I will come here and share with you. Can't thank you enough for taking this great initiative.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Great initiative. Count me in.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Thanks to all who has shown their support so far. We are currently trying to draft a letter. Once draft it done, we will publish it here for further proof reading by all of us. Then we will send it to all the major dailies, political offices, human rights group, news channels.

You can also create your own letter with highlighting all the data in the opening post. Then PM to idrinkh20, simon, mufi_02, shaad, banfan OR even post it here.

Please share any ideas and suggestions you might have. None of us have enough experience in this sort of matter and any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old March 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Count me in too.
Old March 31, 2012, 03:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Just opened the pm. Sorry for the late reply. I'm in
Old March 31, 2012, 03:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Im in.
Lets do our part.
Peacefully.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 31, 2012, 09:24 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I really dont know how much can be done...this is our government we are taking about but plz count me in too
Old March 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

The goal is to put this issue into public's consciousness on both side of the border. That's how the hackers tried to grab attention, but it was a controversial approach. Our idea is to get the media involved. If any newspaper gets 50+ mail regarding a certain issue, the editors takes a note.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:16 AM

This thread has been created having prior consultation with BC Mods/Admins. Intended to discuss approaches and strategies for a organized campaign on particular issue, hence members hereby asked to avoid discussing irrelevant issues other than the topic on OP.

- Mod
Old April 4, 2012, 06:54 PM
Banned

If I was the captain or a player of BD team I would persue other players to wear a black badge every time I played against India. If that was not possible I would just wear it myself. In that way Indian people and media become aware of the killings. But its too dangerous to ask our players to do that and thus will never happen. But at least us, the fans could wear black shirts and bandenas in the stands in a match against India. Even if half the stands look black and just one banner stating the reason for that will make a great statement.
Old April 6, 2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

Almost 1000 killed! Why Dhaka isnt taking action?
Old April 7, 2012, 04:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_bright
Almost 1000 killed! Why Dhaka isnt taking action?
We are Dhaka, are you in for the event bro??

Let's do something... Thousand lives and none are our near and dear one ....let's feel for once that, we have some relation with those thousand killed/dead ....

We need you to join and strengthen our movement.... Are you joining us for the protest??
Old April 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

When and where? F i can make it, i will be there.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_bright
When and where? F i can make it, i will be there.
Please check your pm.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Thanks for the details bhaiya. I will do my best.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Any update on this?
Old April 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
Cricket Sage

We should get the UN involved.