facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 3, 2010, 02:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default Batting first...are you kidding me!!

Being in a foreign country for less than 3 days, no practice no nothing and we decided to bat first on a pitch we had no idea how to bat.....what the hell were the team management thinking? And this is the not the first time Shakib and the mgmt decided to bat first (once against India in Mirpur when batting 2nd everyone won the match).
This showcase of fake confidence by batting first is getting on my nerve especialy when we don't seem to know how to bat in T20. Why not chase on an unknown pitch and bat according the match situation?

Old February 3, 2010, 02:14 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: tamim,sakib,riad,rajib

Hey man I am totally agree with you. I really don't understand what the heck management are thinking. Wow how embrassed we are front of this whole world and the whole crowd.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 3, 2010, 03:37 AM
Banned

I can't beleave that sakib choose to bat first. Only way we can win the 2020 match odi match and drew the test match if we only batting second. Because batting is our key only to win the game. Because if we do even make 200 in 20 over nz will chase it down. Even in odi if we bat first make 400 runs they will chase it for sure. But we will have opportunity to win if we bat second chasing what ever runs nz make.

Last edited by jahidus200; February 3, 2010 at 04:07 AM..
Old February 3, 2010, 03:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Shakib: "I've misread the pitch".
Old February 3, 2010, 04:02 AM
Club Cricketer

If you cant play simple cricket. it doesnt matter if read or misread the pitch... Also pitch was very good for batting. But we did collapse. So bat or ball first doesnt matter result would of been same.We can give 1000 excause. but it is very important time for bd cricket . its time to fix themself ... Plus soon world cup will be knocking at the door..
Old February 3, 2010, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

BD captains should just follow this cheat sheet:

T20 - Always field first
ODI - Bat first in batting pitches, otherwise field first
Test - Always bat first
Old February 3, 2010, 04:16 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rath_Mama;1065040]If you cant play simple cricket. it doesnt matter if read or misread the pitch... Also pitch was very good for batting. But we did collapse. So bat or ball first doesnt matter result would of been same.We can give 1000 excause. but it is very important time for bd cricket . its time to fix themself ... Plus soon world cup will be knocking at the door.
Sakib really mad big mistake. If we bat first we never gonna have chance to win match aginst anybody . Because we don't have world class bowler yet
It's not about simple whenever Bangladesh bat second they always have chance to do somethings better, our batting side is stronger than bowling. Look at India they always depend on their batting only. Bangladesh just made huge mistake by taking batting first. In 2020 cricket batting second is always best for anyside because than they know how to approach cause it's depend on how many runs are y making. And y can play whatever opposition make.

Old February 3, 2010, 05:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

BD lost their last 17 wickets only for 101( 23 for 7 against India + 78 for 10 today match)
how much we can expect from the up coming ODI and Test series ?
Old February 3, 2010, 05:09 AM
Banned

man, forget about it man, itz only t20, it's pointless, just look, in 3 years hey have 3 world cups, it's ridiculous. it's a joke, sort of, wait for the 1st odi! and the rest of the series
Old February 3, 2010, 05:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

its a 20 over game, even if we batter 2nd the conditions would not have changed a tiny bit. The bounce/spin would still be there, plus we would have had a burden of 220 runs on our shoulders. If we batted second, I am sure there would be more threads complaining about it.
The reason we lost today was our dismal batting. The pitch was a bit bouncy, but nowhere close to unplayable. No need to blame the captain/team management.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Batting first was OK, if the Kiwis had batted first, they would have had batting practice, get a big score and then BD bowlers would have had to toil in the field.
Remember, the Kiwis are playing on their own home turf, so they have super advantage.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:40 AM
Cricket Guru

What beshideshi said.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:11 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Batting first or second didn't matter - as per Sakib's honest admission: "Mindset was not right".

And the way he says that 'we're professionals' - it makes me wonder whether how many of these players are really professionals.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
Batting first or second didn't matter - as per Sakib's honest admission: "Mindset was not right".

And the way he says that 'we're professionals' - it makes me wonder whether how many of these players are really professionals.
Well, that's really odd for Sakib to say that we are "professionals". All the cricketers are still young and inexperienced, except Ashraful (even then he is not a professional)!
Old February 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
its a 20 over game, even if we batter 2nd the conditions would not have changed a tiny bit. The bounce/spin would still be there, plus we would have had a burden of 220 runs on our shoulders. If we batted second, I am sure there would be more threads complaining about it.
The reason we lost today was our dismal batting. The pitch was a bit bouncy, but nowhere close to unplayable. No need to blame the captain/team management.
Ok let me tell you why we should’ve batted second.

When condition of the pitch is unknown and half the team never even played in NZ before what do you do? You bat second so at least you can gauge the pace and bounce of the pitch by observing the opponent bat first. As a bowler, bowling first on a unknown surface is not as unforgiving because a bowler gets 6 balls in an over to correct his line and length where as a batsmen is done if he misjudges the first ball, take Mushy as an example.

We also needed to bat second in T20 because we don’t know how to pace our batting. We think the only way to bat in T20 is by going there and having an ugly heave at each and every ball……just like the young Tamim used to bat in the onedayers at the beginning of his career. Knowing the target by batting second would've atleast worked in favor of us. Yes it’s true NZ in their own condition would’ve given us a big score to chase, but at least we would’ve known what to do.

I am not saying we lost solely because of the condition of the pitch, but all things (bad shot selection, bad bowling and bad fielding) considered equal, batting second would’ve been a better option……that’s a no brainer. As Shakib himself later admitted that they misread the pitch, says a lot of what he would’ve done if read it right and that is to bat second.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: tamim/ash/aftab/sakib/ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
BD captains should just follow this cheat sheet:

T20 - Always field first
ODI - Bat first in batting pitches, otherwise field first
Test - Always bat first
if bangladesh bat first in test match they always will lose by an innings . look in the record of bangladesh mostly always they lose by innings if bangladesh bat first, but bangladesh have chance not to lose by innings when they bat second because even tho if nz make 400 runs in first innings all bangladesh have to do is only 200 runs for not to lose by innings . and also match is gonna go for 5 days for sure when bangladesh will bat second . so toss is really important and and decision for team like bangladesh
Old February 3, 2010, 12:36 PM
Test Cricketer

batting first was the stupidest idea by our captain no doubt about it..

Old February 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear betaar,
Misread or not Vettori said he would have batted first had he won the toss. End of discussion on what needed to be done to get the maximum benefit from the toss.
+++
In the last post you mentioned:
Quote:
...because we don’t know how to pace our batting...

Now we can't disguise this by batting second. Fixing this problem would put a stop for us questioning what needed to be done after winning the toss.

So the first thing needs to be done as a fan, is come down from the high horses and smell the roses. Lower your expectation. This is not the flatbed (stat fluxing) pitch of Mirpur. NZ mgmt long before said they would bounce us out. That is what they are doing and we are falling right in to their trap. We have compounded worries now. Can't catch anything.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

with no mashrafe, not sure why shakib decides to bat first over and over.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yes I agree, I was also very surprised why Shakib decided to bat first. Even the commentators were surprised too. We definitely should have bowled first and get a read of the pitch that way our batsmen would have known what kind of pitch to expect. Honestly speaking NZ bowling was good but nothing extra ordinary, yet our batsmen looked lost and were completely mistiming their shots.

I think with the pace bowling line-up currently have, we should always bowl first whenever we win the toss. Shakib and management needs to realize that he is not Ricky Ponting and we are not Australia.

Last edited by Shakil_TX; February 3, 2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old February 3, 2010, 01:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

new zealand boundaries are short i believe, it is possible to make 350 in the ODI matches. hopefully BD can at least score 300 if they bat first in the ODI series.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear betaar,
Misread or not Vettori said he would have batted first had he won the toss. End of discussion on what needed to be done to get the maximum benefit from the toss.
+++
In the last post you mentioned:
[/font]
Now we can't disguise this by batting second. Fixing this problem would put a stop for us questioning what needed to be done after winning the toss.

So the first thing needs to be done as a fan, is come down from the high horses and smell the roses. Lower your expectation. This is not the flatbed (stat fluxing) pitch of Mirpur. NZ mgmt long before said they would bounce us out. That is what they are doing and we are falling right in to their trap. We have compounded worries now. Can't catch anything.
TE,
First of all I am calm and I don’t believe in knee jerk reaction.

What horrifies me more than bad performance is the stupidity in decision making. What Vetorri wants to do in their own soil is not our concern…..because we should always play to our strength…..if we don’t have any strength then let’s not expose our weakness. If you remember the commentators, they said Vetorri himself was going to bat at #9 which means they were batting heavy side which why he would’ve wanted to score as many runs as possible ahead of the onedayers.

Knowing our lacking in building an inning first in T20, we should’ve batted second. I am not saying we can or should disguise our lack of skills by batting second, but even the best side of the world likes to take advantage from external factors (in this case an example would be to observe how the ball is behaving of the pitch from our bowlers). Obviously if a team is really good in all departments the pitch condition, the toss would not matter……but we need to be wise on how we utilize our limitations and come out good.

Old February 3, 2010, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

pitch wasn't an issue...we really suck at thsi form of the game...every script is the same, regardless of the strength of the team.

score at 6-7 an over and lost 5 wickets inside 8 overs...then bat like test to finish with a laughable RR at close of innings. go on to lose embarrassingly. rinse and repeat as needed.

but i don't care as long as we win some ODIs and inflict some major flesh wounds in the test.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 3, 2010, 03:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

someone please give him 'how to read the pitch for dummies' so that he can next time 'read' the pitch. Although I dont think batting second would have made any difference apart from more fielding and bowling practice.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Doesn't captain talk to coach before deciding if they should bat first or second if they win the toss? I find it hard to believe that JS doesn't know the pitch and if it appropriate to bat first.

Is it possible that BD (Sakib/JS) didn't care much about the T20, but focusing on winning 1 or 2 ODI? Just a thought!