facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2009, 08:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Bangladesh supporters UK

I live in London and drove to Nottingham to watch the game expecting thousands of Bangladesh fans given how many of us live in this country. I was shocked to see more than 95% Indian supporters at the ground! Where I was sitting, I was the only Bangladeshi and couldn't even see any others close to me (went with a mixed group). The Indians constantly booed us, shouted at me personally as I was wearing a Bangladesh shirt and shouted wherever they saw a Bangladesh fan.

My question is: where was everyone? There are hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshis in this country and having less than 5% of the total is just ridiculous. I understand that most UK Bangladeshis own restaurants and it is tough be out on a Saturday evening. But what about the younger generation?

Not only did we lose the game but being surrounded by only Indians and constantly being booed and ridiculed was not fun.

Last edited by AGC; June 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old June 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
Test Cricketer

even in the carribean, there were more bd supporters...

feel bad for you bro....
Old June 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I was there too brother and I agree with everything you said here. Where was everyone is also my question?
Old June 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

I also went to see Bangladesh - Sri Lanka in Johannesburg, South Africa (2007) - there were many more BD supporters there! Just doesn't make sense....
Old June 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ji bhai, apni ekdom thik bolsen...!
Kothai tomra lookie aso keno?
Old June 6, 2009, 09:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

Of course there's many more Indians in the UK but the presence at the ground was way out of proportion.

Regarding the behaviour of fans, discussing that was not the intention of this thread.
The booing, shouting etc started well before the game started and I have been to many many cricket games - I have never seen direct insults, booing etc like that.
Old June 6, 2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGC
Of course there's many more Indians in the UK but the presence at the ground was way out of proportion.

Regarding the behaviour of fans, discussing that was not the intention of this thread.
The booing, shouting etc started well before the game started and I have been to many many cricket games - I have never seen direct insults, booing etc like that.
Mate u surely will see tht once ur side start winning regularly ... I tell u it was all cos we were so burned with tht WC 2007 loss ... we needed this win badly ...

And one thing more u can imagine tht while discussing on forum some guys can be so harsh so wht will happen if they gather in masses.. I guess it gives u an idea y u saw such behaviour ... Just don't take it to the heart..
Old June 6, 2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

I have excised a whole bunch of posts that was just treading the wrong path. AGC's questions and experiences just led others to go down a slippery path. Let's not go there.

- As an admin
Old June 6, 2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Hey man u removed my post also .. I was just explaining to the guy y he faced such behavior ... I don't think I said anything wrong to him .. Anyways will make sure to be more precise in future
Old June 6, 2009, 11:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

In prothom alo it is written maximum Bangladeshis work on food shop and though it was Saturday Bangladeshi people couldn't manage to come to the ground.
Old June 7, 2009, 03:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TI/Dwayne Bravo/Afridi

i agree 10000%. we let the team down big time. me and my bro were the only people screaming our lungs out in the whole enitre stand i tell ya! i feel really really bad for them.

When there's a crappy mela somewhere every tom dick and harry turns up, but when they're needed the most.....oh it was just awfull

i understand that it was nottingham and travelling may have been a huge concern, but it's not everyday you have our beloved boys play against the mighty indians in our back garden!

Mrs Mahmudullah Riyad
Old June 7, 2009, 03:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

We should have win that.... It would have been heavenly joy after all that booing.

Inshallah our team will go to super eight and perform.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

See, everything depends on how the team performs. Buying some journos and killing raja-ujir while talking to the press can not fool the public for long. The way we are playing, we simply do not deserve much attention. Why should I go there to watch humiliation spending hard-earned money?
Old June 7, 2009, 04:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Saturday night is the business day for Bangladeshis as most of them are involved with 'curry' business. This is the main reason as per Prothom alo
Old June 7, 2009, 05:12 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Me and Mo vai was there, me and Mo vai was screaming all the time (amar gola venge gese), we had a big flag, Mo vai almost took the catch when Big Z hit one big six.
Old June 7, 2009, 05:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It was chaseable target. Just same nonsense from the top order.
Old June 7, 2009, 05:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Tickets for tomorrows game are not available on-line. For Uk residents call this number 0844 847 2020 to see if you can get some tickets. No point calling today as its sunday but try tomorrow orning first thing.

I know and hope there is plenty of you going tomorrow. Few things I could share with you.

If you are driving from london.

1) Leave early as legal driving will take you 2 hours and 40 minute ,dont forget tomorrow is Monday (Rush Hour). I experienced 30-40 minute delay to get inside nottingham city
2) Car Park: Oh boy that was difficult. There was earlier arrangement which was not mentioned on ICC website, we found that car park but was not allowed in because we did not have that pass. any way we found a car park opposite station for £4 up to 2130 some people also parked there car in station car park. Any way try calling this number Tel: +44 (0)870 168 88 88 (nottingham cricket ground).

Those who are going by Public Transport (train) return ticket is expensive. Cheapest is £30 return (travel after 1000 and coming back after 1900) and if you get sucked in to watch Aus v Sl then keep an eye on your watch last train leaves Nottingham to London is on 2128, miss that and you are doomed.

If you have anything you want to ask please do not hesitate.

Sorry to everyone as I wont be able to go and watch tomorrows match.
Old June 7, 2009, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

I swear, if this was in London, i would have begged my dad until he bought me a ticket and let me go
Old June 7, 2009, 06:06 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
I swear, if this was in London, i would have begged my dad until he bought me a ticket and let me go
Will u go for Super 8 matches coz BD will play to match in London(if hey qualify)
Old June 7, 2009, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm afraid British Bangladeshis do not care as much as British Indians to pay and watch Bangladesh. Most of the Bangladeshi fans in the match were Bangladeshi students. And this match was sold out very quickly and a not a lot of Bangladeshi people knew when the tickets went for sale.

It is shameful really. In South Africa we saw better support for Bangladesh eventhough there is a bigger Deshi population in the UK. I guess that is because in South Africa most Bangladeshis are born and brought up in Bangladesh where as in UK the majority of the Bangladeshis are born here. What was even more sad was when the anthems were playing the few Deshi teenagers who were there were smiling and talking in between but when India's anthem was playing all of them united and sang it together.
Old June 7, 2009, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

well i go to all the hk sixes tournaments
every year
even though bangladesh doesnt play very often
Old June 7, 2009, 06:31 AM
Club Cricketer

"I'm afraid British Bangladeshis do not care as much as British Indians to pay and watch Bangladesh. Most of the Bangladeshi fans in the match were Bangladeshi students. And this match was sold out very quickly and a not a lot of Bangladeshi people knew when the tickets went for sale. "

I agree. Hope tomorrow things will be different.
Old June 7, 2009, 06:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I have excised a whole bunch of posts that was just treading the wrong path. AGC's questions and experiences just led others to go down a slippery path. Let's not go there.

- As an admin
I am glad you did what you did. I was also there but with about 10 Bangladeshis in close proximity. The place was overwhelmingly full with Indian supporters. But I must stress I did not find anyone hostile. There was booing but it was more friendly like. If anyone wants to see nastiness just go to a football match here - you will see what vengeful booing is all about !!

Remember the Indians and Pakistanis and others do not yet accept us as equals in cricket. So the edginess is not there. But the impression I got was that we were taken more seriously than in any other Bangladesh match. This could partly be as a result of their experience in the 2007 WC.

Before the start the respective national anthems were played. I thought both sides showed respect. There was certainly no booing at that time.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur R & Nasir H

I also went to the match yesterday and frankly I was very disappointed not just with the indian fans but with us as bangladeshi's. In referance from Wikipedia, we have the seventh biggest population in the world with many bangali residents living in UK, and yet we cannot spare one day to watch our beloved tigerz. 'We call this our shunar bangla'? Yeh right. Many of our Bangladeshis especially the youth, dont love bangladeshi cricket. My cousins laugh at me for supporting bangladesh. Was it worth us getting independance. I leave that, for others to reply?
Old June 7, 2009, 07:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I was there. My 3 friends and I were the only Bangladesh in the members pavillion. Although we faced some abuse initially and Bangladeshi players got boo-ed for everything, they weren't too bad at the end. Got some dececnt attibutes towards the end.

Ya I surprised by the turn outs. It was more like 99.5% inidians and 0.5% of us. I know lots of Bangladeshis were looking for tickets at the end but there were none as they left it till too late. I bought my tickets last year June for all Bangladeshi matches except for BD v NZ on the 11th. I am off to TB again on Monday insallah.