facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 20, 2004, 11:41 AM
Club Cricketer

Default A critique to Richard McInnes, The U19 coach

"There are only three qualified coaches in your country and they are Shahidul Alam Ratan, Nazmul Abedin Fahim and Sarwar Imran,"

This incredible remark made by Richard while reacting to a group of journalists who wanted to know why the youth team performing poorly since he took over in October last year.

Then he declared the possibilities as "Our main target is to play good cricket and if my boys can do so they can beat anybody in the World Cup."

Well we now know that we are not in the super league any more. Now the tigers will roar at the silent jungle left with some cats. This is where we had been for years until we justified our test status. The game is over for U19.

Whether he is a good coach, or may even be considered as a coach, or not, lets see what he said just after being humiliated by the Indians earlier today.

"The occasion overwhelmed the team," he said. "There were enormous pressures created by expectations on them. However, the team is still learning. This experience will be useful to them. They will get used to playing under pressure, noise and high quality opposition.”

That’s it; he believed his players would learn from the experience of playing a strong India side confessing the fact that we are not any strong team. Just read back what he said couple of weeks earlier (Our main target is to play good cricket and if my boys can do so they can beat anybody in the World Cup). The point of getting more and more experience sounds vulnerable. Where did the Indian team get all their experiences and temperament to play against a huge crowd on a different soil and still performing clearly ahead? Actually, he messed up everything. He used to pertain a new idea among the young cricketers to make them mentally strong and tough enough to handle pressure. Now he says they were turned down cause it was too much pressure!!

The other facts that doubt his qualification as a coach are all around. We talked a lot about Net run rate. This NRR would not be a problem any more if we decided to bat first against Scotland. Not only that, Knowing the fact that we had a bad batting day against NZ, we opted to bat first to make sure all our batsmen can practice before facing the big giant. What we did, is we won and toss and showed our strength (!) finishing the match only in 12.2 overs, whereas both India and NZ made huge batting practice against them and boosted their NRR as well. The clear decision to be taken from here is that either he has lack of cricket knowledge (excluding the fact that he tried even Ice-water bath) or he is too weak in math. Any of them should be enough to fire his position.

Another mystical decision we saw today when BD won the toss and elected to field first. As I remember one statistic, the average first innings score in Dhaka Stadium is around 260. Don’t we all know it that Dhaka stadium has always been a batting paradise? He talked about “pressure” which overwhelmed us, but why to select batting second then? Isn’t it always difficult to bat second?

The third point was not using Talha Jubair in any of the three matches. He was not injured, that was only a rumour. Its irrelevant try to prove that Talha should be the best bowler of the squad. If not then there must be something wrong with the selectors who decided to make him play for the national squad. Now take this, even a national team player may not be judged as one of the best 11 (of course Richard”s 11) unless the big boss does not want it. Or should we say if he really is capable to judge a player?

Before making any conclusion to this article, I urge a definitive investigation to our performance and results before he can say that “Oh yeah! We have beaten Nepal, Scotland, Ireland, PPN blah blah… All the players who played in this U19 squad are our future cricket. We made mistakes in the past employing unqualified coaches, now this mistake should not be done again. Save our cricket please.

[Edited on 2/20/2004 by adnan]

Old February 20, 2004, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

This article should be posted on the main page. McInnes deserves a critique.
Old February 20, 2004, 11:59 AM
Club Cricketer

thnx nav for the right word...lol.
Old February 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
Retired BC Admin

Adnan, please check your U2U.
Old February 20, 2004, 12:16 PM
Retired BC Admin

Adnan, please check your U2U one more time.
Old February 20, 2004, 12:28 PM
Retired BC Admin

Done. It's in the front page now. Thanks Adnan.
Old February 20, 2004, 12:36 PM
Club Cricketer

Dhonnobad chinaman.

Its my first article ever published on net. . Readers, please consider my weak english and other mistakes. Any suggestion or critique will inspire me to write more.
Old February 20, 2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

Don't know about Talha, though his exclusion does sound suspicious !! But until the press confirms the real reason, speculation can be all too futile.

In my mind the main reason why we lost to NZ and India is over-confidence !
Old February 20, 2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We should not blame McInnes. If anyone is to be blamed for this is BCB. They select kepler Wessels, makes the deal almost done, and then gets a no name coach. Right then they pretty much F**ked the future of the U-19 team.

To put a cherry on the top, they let McInnes be the sole selector too.

This is just hopeless and I am mad at them for distroying our chance, playing with fans heart.

They should all be fired.
Old February 20, 2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

Raj, where is all that anger coming from ??

How financially solvent do you think the BCB is that they can afford both Whatmore & Wessels, and on top of that continue to build the infra-structure, employ local coaches etc ?

Did we not see a lot of ravings for R McInnes earlier on here on this board ?? And does he not genuinely have high credentials ? I mean just because you never heard of him before does not mean that he is bad - he was a professional coach, and not a star test player turned coach, right ???

Also, are you saying that we should also have a selection cmte for our age teams ?? A separate one from the main selection team ?? Again money !!! We could have the main selection cmte play that role, but that's not their job focus (I mean that they will be distracted from their main job ?). For a under 19 team, the coach perhaps knows the best.
Old February 20, 2004, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

So, you believe BCB can not pay 3 thousand dollar more a month? That is the salary difference between Dav and McInnes.

As for fans accepting McInnes, I didnt. He came in with head coach experience of Queensland Cricket Academy for four months and trainer of Australian U-17 team. Compare that to the almost done deal Kepler Wessels.

Selectors no problem? What did Asiq do as the captain? Why is Sunny not in the team? The whole idea of 3-5 member selection panel is to filter out one person's personal like/dislikes. Even not playing Talha is not acceptable, specially since now reports found out he was not injured!

Where is the anger coming from? The poor performence of BD U-19 team, this is totally unacceptable, and BCB is 100% responsible. I know they dont care for the BD cricket, but someone needs to do something so that they start taking seriousness on their job.
Old February 20, 2004, 03:11 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default jumbled thoughts

sorry adnan! couldn't agree with you (keep writing though )... I wanna see Mcinnes some more before passing any judgement...the tournament isn't over yet...there are quite a few matches left. I think he is doing a good job, and whether or not they should have batted or bowled first, believe he and the team probably felt BD would be better at chasing. All of us thought we had such a good 'bowling attack' and would be able to restrict the Indians. Some decisions sound injudicious, but incompetency is not the reason in my opinion. How about Bennet King? (the aussie U19 coach) He just presided over a humiliating loss to Zim U19. I have checked out their reactions, and none are rushing to blame any one, and taking it in their stride. I find criticisms, conspiracy theories, and emotional diatribes that gush forth (particularly from us South Asian fans) as soon as there is a perceived failure quite unhelpful and, frankly, detrimental to the interest of the game. Like Whatmore says, you have to give a coach enough rope to hang himself with. In all his interviews so far Mcinnes has repeatedly said that he is grooming this team for the long-term. We will see if his long term objectives are fulfilled. At least he has a plan, and I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mcinnes is a qualified coach. He works really hard and is not a slacker. His goals for the team are obvious. Build a tough, strong, patriotic, united team with a strong work ethic. He probably has his limitations but I would much rather go with him than any one else, and right now I would definitely stick with him.

Patience

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by pompous]
Old February 20, 2004, 03:19 PM
Retired BC Admin

Well done, pompous. Care to prepare this for the front page?
Old February 20, 2004, 03:37 PM
Banned

Raj, coaching the Aussie U-17 speaks volumes of him, does he not ??

R McInnes is the BCB ! Or do you Raj, mean Lobi, or A Rahman ? I don't think either of them has a relative in the team ?

Please read Pompous' response several times. He has stressed on the coach's comment on long term progress. What does that mean - I would guess that our players have mental, physical, technical deficiencies to the point that they require long term attention. Arafat Sunny being in the team or someone else for that matter, would have not made any difference.

I think that your expectations of the team was just too high !! How much do we know about our level with respect to other countries, that you go as far as to think that we would have beaten India ?? The fact that we crumbled after reaching a formidable position only reflects of the fact that we as a race lack (relatively speaking) mental discipline !!! Has this not been reflected many a times in our Senior team !!! These cultural changes can only be addressed over the long run !

And speaking of being a fan, fan's who have played competitive cricket (even in upper school level) can only appreciate what playing on the ground really is really about. How much cricket have you or I played, Raj ????
Old February 20, 2004, 03:38 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Pompous... I agree... its definitely not time already to give Mciness the axe... he was the topic on the chats too when India was batting... and although some people are going all out on McIness there are several who thinks the dude does a decent job... I personally think he shaped us up well...

Think abt it... we were actually upset cause we lost to NZ... wasnt that supposed to be a normal thing under normal circumstances...??

BUT we know our team is good and has the ability to battle it out with the pros... and I am sure the coach has a good deal of hand in preparing the team that way and to make us think like that... Or atleast so I like to believe...

They need to work a bit out on the post toss decisions... I think BD SHUD have batted first in both the matches (scots and India).

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by radicalsami]
Old February 20, 2004, 04:02 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

sure cm bhai (by the way we share our first names though mine is spelled differently ) I will write up a more detailed one.

Quote:
Well done, pompous. Care to prepare this for the front page?

[Edited on 2-20-2004 by chinaman : You know!]
Old February 20, 2004, 04:06 PM
Retired BC Admin

Thank you very much.
Old February 20, 2004, 04:07 PM
Club Cricketer

my reactions are mixed. i feel everybody should be accountable and no one should get carte blanche on any of the affairs, specially when it comes to grooming our future. Like Sham i also liked his training style. but ignoring Talha showing dubious reasons, not making the 'right decisions' after winning the toss put some question mark on Mcinnes. Lets take the case of Talha.
if he is not up to the mark, dont select him, why is this tanahachra. this will demoralize this boy. and i dont think he would have been worse than :6 0 45 0 (3w) or 8 0 69 0 (1nb, 4w). Like enamul he also had top level experience, which could have benefited us yesterday. Now i hope he will give us some definite explanations of his selection process instead of philosophical buli.

Sure, we dont want to be like the saudis, firing coaches after every defeat; but we do need to extract an explanation from him for his apparent bullheaded selection style, which might have aided the defeat.
Old February 20, 2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

Being a big fan of Talha, I would like to know also why he was left out ?

I just love fast bowlers - waz one myself during the crescendo of my youth !!

Old February 20, 2004, 05:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Answering pompous

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
sorry adnan! couldn't agree with you (keep writing though )... I wanna see Mcinnes some more before passing any judgement...the tournament isn't over yet...there are quite a few matches left. I think he is doing a good job, and whether or not they should have batted or bowled first, believe he and the team probably felt BD would be better at chasing. All of us thought we had such a good 'bowling attack' and would be able to restrict the Indians. Some decisions sound injudicious, but incompetency is not the reason in my opinion. How about Bennet King? (the aussie U19 coach) He just presided over a humiliating loss to Zim U19. I have checked out their reactions, and none are rushing to blame any one, and taking it in their stride. I find criticisms, conspiracy theories, and emotional diatribes that gush forth (particularly from us South Asian fans) as soon as there is a perceived failure quite unhelpful and, frankly, detrimental to the interest of the game. Like Whatmore says, you have to give a coach enough rope to hang himself with. In all his interviews so far Mcinnes has repeatedly said that he is grooming this team for the long-term. We will see if his long term objectives are fulfilled. At least he has a plan, and I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mcinnes is a qualified coach. He works really hard and is not a slacker. His goals for the team are obvious. Build a tough, strong, patriotic, united team with a strong work ethic. He probably has his limitations but I would much rather go with him than any one else, and right now I would definitely stick with him.

Patience

Would you please show me how exactly we have improved at U19 level after he is the coach? We even beat India last U19 WC, and this time we are lost by more than hundred runs, not even for a second in the match we seemed to be fighting. WHere is the improvement?

Didnt we lose all our games in the last Asia Cup since he is the coach? Also dont forget the 34 all out. Its not a question that we always argue about a coach, but in this case, his disrespectable nature of talkings and unusual ways of treatment and ruthless comments could only provide us a win over Scotland and some more over Nepal in the last few months.
Why didnt you answer why he choosed to bowl frist againist Scotland? BEcause it put our NRR down.

Why he choosed to field first today earlier against India? To put them pressure? Knownig that India's strength is batting?

Dont compare with Australia please. They came here to play in different conditions. They won enough in all levels of cricket already too. What did we win in the last 20 years except ICC? Australia did beat Srilanka today, didnt they? Didnt SA came back strongly beating England? Yes, and thats where I see that they had a bad day and they are not type of losing at everything. And we? How much have we learned from the match against NZ? Yes, we learned to lose worser.

Old February 20, 2004, 05:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default chinaman bhai! here is my article!

Richard Mcinnes- Coach, Bangladesh U19 team

-Zobair Anam

McInness is once again at the centre of controversy. Of course controversy surrounding national coaches in Bangladesh is common. Generally, the hue and cry is about how incompetent, lazy and useless coaches are. We have discarded coaches left and right, sometimes for good reason. Not that this robust hiring and firing policy has paid any dividends. At the national senior level, in spite of having had Dav Whatmore for a while now, we are yet to win one international match (ODI or test) since you know when! We simply do not seem to be good enough just yet. But, as many of us think and hope, success is just a matter of time. After all, our cricket infrastructure is just about getting into place now, and slowly we are growing a cricket culture, cricketing terminologies are entering our vocabulary. We are no longer just a nation of ardent fans. We are preparing to achieve glory on the cricket pitch. However, if we look at other successful test playing nations and their performance, we quickly realize that cricket at the highest level is also about attitude, physical and mental toughness. It is as much about discipline, consistent hard work, passion, and more hard work, as it is about talent and skill. Richard McInnes come from a country whose cricket and cricketers have epitomized this for the past decade.

Coaching the U19, at this stage, is the single most important task in our cricket. After all these are the cricketers that will go on to represent Bangladesh in the future. The quality of these cricketers will decide the quality of Bangladesh Cricket. Yet, this is the time when you not only want to fine tune your talents but also engender the right habits, weed out the bad ones to ensure maximum longevity at the highest level. McInnes, in my opinion is fully aware of his task, and genuinely committed to see it through. Not satisfied with just attaining physical fitness and cricketing skills, he has tried to bring qualitative changes in the players’ diet, and their life styles i.e. long-term changes. He is desperately trying to instill some real fighting spirit in the boys. McInnes has backed himself to make the right decisions, and has been unafraid to voice his opinion. That’s the Aussie style- celebrated in times of success, rubbished in defeat. It obviously has rubbed our media, and some egos the wrong way.

As far as the U19 World Cup has been concerned my evaluation so far is mixed (it is not over yet for our team). We disposed of Nepal in the warm-up matches in a clinical fashion. We should have won the New Zealand match. Some decisions sound injudicious (batting second in the last two matches), but incompetence is not the reason, in my humble opinion. Whether Talha should have played against India or not is beyond my judgement. Talha has been known to give away tons of runs at a moments notice in spite of his wicket taking ability, and his star power. I have no idea about his current form. Have we considered the possibility that the bowlers chosen in the XI are simply better? As far as batting or bowling first is concerned McInnes took a gamble and failed. He is certainly not alone. How about Bennet King? (the aussie U19 coach) He just presided over a humiliating loss to Zim U19 and exit to the plate round.

I find criticisms, conspiracy theories, and emotional diatribes that gush forth (particularly from us South Asian fans) as soon as there is a perceived failure quite unhelpful and, frankly, detrimental to the interest of the game. Like Whatmore says, you have to give a coach enough rope to hang himself with. In all his interviews so far Mcinnes has repeatedly said that he is grooming this team for the long-term. We will see if his long term objectives are fulfilled. At least he has a plan, and I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. One has to give kudos to our media. They never pass an opportunity to pour salt on your wounds. In any case I failed to see the relevance of the 9 wicket defeat to India 3 months ago when Pathan turned in that sensational performance (McInnes was on the job for 3 weeks) to our performance in the World Cup. Bu then our media seems more intent on breaking this “stubborn” man than anything else.

Mcinnes is a qualified coach. He works really hard and is not a slacker. His goals for the team are obvious. Build a tough, strong, patriotic, united team with a strong work ethic. He genuinely wants his charges to do well. He is competent and he has my vote.
Old February 20, 2004, 05:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default adnan!

I thank you for your answer though I wasn't asking any question :P I am just giving my opinion. Do not take it personally.

Old February 20, 2004, 06:04 PM
Club Cricketer

sorry to you too.
Cause you have no answers. Its a nice literature you posted without any explanations of the facts. May be you dont even care the Bangladeshi newspapers, otherwise you may would take a look at them too before posting this "mclnees bir gatha".

In Janakantha they expressed him as "Udhata".

Read Prothom Alo.Jugantor. Read Daily Star....all of the newspapers think the decision of putting India into bat was absolutely wrong.
Prothom alo thinks he is not a better coach than "Osman" who rightfully challanged his stupid comment.

Anyway, it only cares if we care. If not then thats enough.
Old February 20, 2004, 06:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default time to evaluate his goals...results later!

I talked about his goals...and all I am saying is I am ready to give him some more time before I judge his abilities comprehensively from the results. Hey! did I say he was right to put India in first?! And I do read newspapers. But I decide whether I should buy everything they say or not?
I feel sorry for Mr. Osman. McInnes are referring to formally qualified coaches (level II or above - ICC standard). Anyways, time will tell! which is exactly my point! Lets defer our decision for some more time.

Old February 20, 2004, 06:25 PM
Retired BC Admin

Adnan, everybody is soundly entitled to his opinion irrespective of popular or media opinion. Difference of opinion is always healthy.

If you like to rebut in the form of an article, you are more than welcome. Just writedown it in the form of an article and U2U to me or any other moderators.

On a different note, why wasting your writing talent on one issue, pick up another one and start writing. A performance history of our U19 team, may be. Or a critical analysis of our junior players or just anything that interest you. We'll be looking forward to you.