facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: What's your major?
Mathematics 1 2.78%
Engineering 14 38.89%
Computer Science 5 13.89%
Astronomy 0 0%
Botany 0 0%
Zoology 0 0%
Philosophy 1 2.78%
English 0 0%
Business Administration 3 8.33%
Political Science 1 2.78%
Medicine 2 5.56%
Law 2 5.56%
Anthropology 1 2.78%
Other - specify 4 11.11%
None, I am a college dropout and I will end a bum like cricu 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 6, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

biochem,microbio at Highschool,
in Uni it's more biol-biochem & chimie orga

Old September 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering@NSU

Reason: No particular reason
Old September 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Where is Economics or Finance ?
Old September 6, 2012, 11:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Soon-to-graduate in Information Technology. Hate coding..more into networking, database and system design.

First internship at an E-commerce company, currently at IBM.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Alhamdulillah! I have a BS in Computer Engineering, Minor in Mathematics from the University of Connecticut. It took me 5 years, but hey, It's the end result that counts...

so i guess on the poll, I have a little bit of the first three options: Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science. Right now i want to stay as far away from school, at least Academic School. in future, who knows? Let me work for a few years and then figure out what i really want to do with my life. I am thinking of becoming an A'lim, I could easily Alhamdulillah, go into it right now as I have many connections in Saudi Arabia , but I want to stay in the States and work for at least another 5 years since My parents worked really really hard to come to America(and after coming to America, even harder) and I want to value their sacrifice...It would only be fair!

Alhamdulillah, my options are quite diverse...
Old September 6, 2012, 12:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Alhamdulillah! I have a BS in Computer Engineering, Minor in Mathematics from the University of Connecticut. It took me 5 years, but hey, It's the end result that counts...

so i guess on the poll, I have a little bit of the first three options: Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science. Right now i want to stay as far away from school, at least Academic School. in future, who knows? Let me work for a few years and then figure out what i really want to do with my life. I am thinking of becoming an A'lim, I could easily Alhamdulillah, go into it right now as I have many connections in Saudi Arabia , but I want to stay in the States and work for at least another 5 years since My parents worked really really hard to come to America(and after coming to America, even harder) and I want to value their sacrifice...It would only be fair!

Alhamdulillah, my options are quite diverse...
May you reach your goals In sha Allah. That is good to hear. If you ever consider Middle East or UAE in particular, the PM button to me is just a click away!
Old September 6, 2012, 03:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

so i guess on the poll, I have a little bit of the first three options: Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science. Right now i want to stay as far away from school, at least Academic School.
agey bolo party tarty kemon kore berala UConney. Keg beer, beer ping pong, frat club.... ki rifat miya.... bad experiences hoise naki kono je you want to stay "as far away from school" hehe..... kono sorority meye ki tumar upor khepa naki...hehe

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 6, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Surprised no one is majoring in English. TRUST ME, that's where all the money is. It's not a soft field as it used to be. Get a degree, come back home and open up "house tutionee" for lakh lakh taka beton and tankify with female students.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

@Zee: English happens to be one of the toughest majors in Bangladesh. One has to have astute sense of literary aesthetics as well as an appreciation for very convoluted literary themes to get a Bachelor in English. Engineering is comparatively a lot more straightforward (not to mention lucrative/prospective).

I am an electrical engineer with a major in communication, specially photonic communication.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
Cricket Sage

The truth behind academic learning is that: Sometimes you just do it for the grade and not just for the sake of learning...I think it defeats the purpose of true education...but the great thing about UCONN Engineering at least in the final two years is that most of my upper senior level classes were more project oriented and group based, so it was a lot of fun too...not just hitting the books and plugging away formulas from cheat sheets
Old September 6, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_You_Go
May you reach your goals In sha Allah. That is good to hear. If you ever consider Middle East or UAE in particular, the PM button to me is just a click away!
JazakAllah khairan definitely bro...
Old September 6, 2012, 03:30 PM
Cricket Sage

@ Gopal Bhar,

Humayun Ahmed was nowhere close to an English Major, and yet he made a fortune from creative writing, it just goes to show that if you really have the passion and willpower for it, it doesn't matter what your background is, I believe he was a chemist.
Old September 6, 2012, 04:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
^^ Do you need to spend a year in overseas Antora ?
I need to study a semester overseas in 2nd year or beginning of 3rd year, preferably in a French speaking country ( since I'm learning french-minor).
Old September 6, 2012, 05:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

I was gutted to see 0 next to Mathematics, had to change that.

Reason I picked this major: No more* essay writing.

* Occasional reports and presentations don't count.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

another thread phail from GB ! the basic science subjects are not there but astronomy, a very specialized topic of physics is there, as are a host of bio subjects. meh.

major in physics with minors in math and chemistry. masters in theoretical physics with specialization in quantum field theory, particle physics and non-linear dynamics & chaos.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
another thread phail from GB ! the basic science subjects are not there but astronomy, a very specialized topic of physics is there, as are a host of bio subjects. meh.

major in physics with minors in math and chemistry. masters in theoretical physics with specialization in quantum field theory, particle physics and non-linear dynamics & chaos.
ei shob ki jinish bhai ? porei to matha ta kemon jeno ghure gelo
Old September 7, 2012, 03:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

amaro porte giye matha ghure geche bhai !
Old September 7, 2012, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
ei shob ki jinish bhai ? porei to matha ta kemon jeno ghure gelo
All it means is that he will be rooming soon with Sheldon and Leonard.

I may have ended up a physicist or linguistic anthropologist had I not done my undergrad in Bangladesh.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Don't have a clue what a 'Major' is.

I have a BEng (Hons) in Aeronautical Engineering and an MSc in Fluid Power Systems.
Whats this in Yankee lingo?

Chose those subjects as I always had a keen passion for aeroplanes and found myself strong in Maths and the Sciences during my school years. I have developed a deeper interest during my Undergrad degree for control systems and power transmission hence the MSc.
I am currently working and hopefully as I gain more experience, I will eventually start a PhD. I guess thats whats known as Major?
Old September 7, 2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Where is Economics or Finance ?
Here...

Masters in Finance from Dhaka University
Migrated to Canada
Got my International Hotel Management degree from Royal Roads University, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Old September 7, 2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antora
majoring in International Studies.
I studied International Relations and Political Science in Toronto... enjoyed it thoroughly and still am passionate about the subject. I didnt finish there though, and instead came back home to study Finance and Marketing. Enjoyed all my subjects actually and thats what makes the difference in having a positive perspective to life and things. Good luck with your French immersion.

University of Montreal and University of Ottawa in Canada have very good IR programs in Canada in French, and will immerse you to a very progressive, liberal worldview and fast paced mindset than that in Australia (imho). Montreal is also a GREAT city... just ask everyone who's been there!
Old September 7, 2012, 12:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Bsc Biomedical Sciences
Old September 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim the Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antora
I need to study a semester overseas in 2nd year or beginning of 3rd year, preferably in a French speaking country ( since I'm learning french-minor).
hey come to U.S . I am sure you know more English than French.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:00 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
The truth behind academic learning is that: Sometimes you just do it for the grade and not just for the sake of learning...I think it defeats the purpose of true education...but the great thing about UCONN Engineering at least in the final two years is that most of my upper senior level classes were more project oriented and group based, so it was a lot of fun too...not just hitting the books and plugging away formulas from cheat sheets
Best way to learn...practical hands on learning, and actually allows you to put into practice the things you get shown via powerpoint slides every week!

Not to mention, you're far better prepared for the real world.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I studied International Relations and Political Science in Toronto... enjoyed it thoroughly and still am passionate about the subject. I didnt finish there though, and instead came back home to study Finance and Marketing. Enjoyed all my subjects actually and thats what makes the difference in having a positive perspective to life and things. Good luck with your French immersion.

University of Montreal and University of Ottawa in Canada have very good IR programs in Canada in French, and will immerse you to a very progressive, liberal worldview and fast paced mindset than that in Australia (imho). Montreal is also a GREAT city... just ask everyone who's been there!
Montreal would be a nice place to go to. Abbu wants me to go there since he has a lot of friends in Canada :P But...I have this thing for France. Plus, My boro Chachu lives in France and is a diplomat there, so maybe I can get a bit of work experience from him...Diplomats seem cool Unfortunately the Universities you've mentioned are not partner universities with Monash The partner ones are : Bishop's uni, Carleton uni, Queen's uni, Simon Fraser uni, Uni of Waterloo and York uni :S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashed
hey come to U.S . I am sure you know more English than French.
I do know more English than French, which is why I want to go to a French speaking country to improve :P . we have a few family freinds in US, but like I said, I have this thing for France...well Europe in general :P