facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

I know I've been rude to Ash on the thread I made, but it hurts me to see to lose by 7 wickets, and in both innings he scored nothing. What can I do? It is frustrating. I would not be unhappy if the result was competitive like lost by 4 or 5 wickets, then again, we did not fight.....and why our bowling is this low quality....can someone explain....

Old March 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
My point, which most of you seem to understand, is that after 13 years of Test cricket the team is still struggling to make the game last 5 days most of the time. Come on boys, fight....

My worry is when Ireland get Test status
coach, before it was that we lost for second innings.....now it is whole 2nd test out of 2....so I think another 5 to 7 years In Sha Allah we will be more competitive, you know like beating West Indies on odi series last time.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaA
coach, before it was that we lost for second innings.....now it is whole 2nd test out of 2....so I think another 5 to 7 years In Sha Allah we will be more competitive, you know like beating West Indies on odi series last time.
Also I am tired of hearing "you have been playing for 13 years now show some improvement" . As if the same bunch of players are playing for 13 years and still didn't learn. It's a pretty young team, I mean out of the current 11 players 6 are totally new to international cricket. What do you expect them to do? Win each and every test match?

How people don't see our improvement? We are finally being able to draw a match whereas 5 or 6 years ago we used to lose by an innings. Our batsmen are getting to that 200 mark and nowadays almost regularly putting up a total over 500. One step at a time. You won't see us winning match after match all of a sudden. How many years did Aus, Eng, Ind take to come to this point? I think we are improving at a much faster rate. And why scare us by saying oh if you can't do it then IReland will get it. Really? I can bet a million bucks that Ireland won't get the test status very soon. They still have a lot to improve. Our boys are not lucky enough like the Irish players to get to play in county, Our players comes from areas were hardly they get to play with a real cricket ball, heck they don't even play with a cricket bat. Professionalism is something totally new to them. Despite all these they are shining in the world cricket now and they are still ahead of Ireland.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Although I was also a bit disappointed by the end result, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I now feel we're good enough to compete against teams like WI/NZ/SL at home. I expect to start winning home tests against them every now and then. When Sangakarra/Jayawardene/Dilshan/Herath retire in a year or two, it'll be a big blow to their team. On the other hand our team is starting to look more balanced from top to bottom and less reliant on one or two individuals. Our achilles' heel remains however our pace bowling.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

I agree with both sides of this argument. I mean we are improving collectively as a team but the losses also leaves us in a situation where we feel we COULD have won. We always have the potential to win it and if you take out Sangakkara, Dilshan or Herath, I think bangadesh team stands same if not better than SL on paper. The match was head to head on the second and third day when we came to bat.I just can't fathom, why herath out of a sudden became a damon ? I guess there is a trend here that whenever we are under pressure there will always be a herath, narine or tino best rising against us. I don't know whether its in our mind or the batsmen forget to play these guys at that point.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Only a true well wisher can say these words. Thanks, coach for putting it nicely. I do share the same view that more often "the squad is not preparing to win" rather just "hanging on" thereby ending up as a mere pushover. If we look at the early days of Zimbabwe's inauguration to test cricket, we can see how positive their attitude was against top teams when they managed to inflict an innings defeat on Pakistan in '95. So, we got to raise the bar and truly believe in our abilities to reap something better.

Quote:

Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'. There's a fact of life that you get what you prepare for and I feel strongly that the squad is not preparing to win at any stage, but merely 'hang on' so defeat isn't so large.

The mentality brings the answers, and that starts with expectations being set up to be harsher, not easier. If you set the bar low then there is nowhere to go after that. So I would hope to see a tougher push for wins and a higher pride in expectation from even the lesser players coming into the team.

I guess my views are different to most, but having seen the talent on offer, I am disappointed it has yet to galvanised into a winning mindset at least, if not in results.

If you want to do something BADLY enough you will always find a way. If not, you will always find an excuse.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:01 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
My point, which most of you seem to understand, is that after 13 years of Test cricket the team is still struggling to make the game last 5 days most of the time. Come on boys, fight....

My worry is when Ireland get Test status
Since 2010 we have played 16 tests and out of those 16 tests we have taken 12 tests to 5 days..any team can lose in 4 days..it happens in cricket,one test doesn't mean anything,if your point is about still struggling to take the game to 5 days please do your research, but if you say after 13 years BD still cant win then you have a point

But since i have seen BD cricket lose time after time, being humiliated day after day,i see this 12 matches out of 16 as positives..we struggled to take the test to 3rd day..now finally we are taking it to 5 days..slowly but surely we would win. But for that couple of changes to the infrastructure needs to be done and i would agree with you about one thing that our management isn't interested about doing those changes

and we'll see what happens after ireland gets test status, better leave that argument for future
Old March 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

in this series we showed lots of promise, but it was really disappointing the way it finished. from a very strong position when we were about 140/2 in the third day final session we lost momentum. it was a mix of perhaps some good deliveries of herath but mostly some poor shots from BD batsman.

these things we should have learned in this 13 years, its our failure, to be honest.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Sorry Ian, contract disputes, lack of match preparation, new captain, new players. Whatever disadvantages they had they always started strong favourites. Never easy beating Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. I think there are a lot more positives than negatives from this series. We were walloped everytime we played there. Look at the number of innings defeats even in 2007 when we were doing fairly ok with many of the current players. I am dissapointed we couldnt push the 5th test to day 5, dissapointed we gave in to SLA's when we play so much of it. But at the end they exceeded our expectation. Lets not call the dead pitch a savior. On any other tour we may have capitulated even on a dead pitch. Not this time.

Oh and regarding Ireland, they said the same about Kenya, UAE, Scotland at one time. We ll see how long they can keep up.

Bangladesh 90 and 328; Sri Lanka 555/5d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 137 runs

Bangladesh 161 and 184; Sri Lanka 541/9d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 196 runs

Sri Lanka 373 and 263/2d; Bangladesh 164 and 184
Sri Lanka won by 288 runs

Bangladesh 319 and 181; Sri Lanka 338 and 163/2
Sri Lanka won by 8 wickets

Sri Lanka 457/9d; Bangladesh 191 and 197 (f/o)
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 69 runs

Bangladesh 89 and 254; Sri Lanka 577/6d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 234 runs

Bangladesh 62 and 299; Sri Lanka 451/6d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 90 runs

Bangladesh 131 and 176; Sri Lanka 500/4d
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 193 runs
Old March 19, 2013, 11:29 PM
MLC World Series I

I am disappointed.

I won't buy the "beating SL in SL is tough" talk for this Test series. The pitches were made in such a way that it neutralized whatever advantage SL has had. They applied themselves more than us and this is where it was lost. Bar Sangakkara, Dilshan and Herath, the other players who made up their XI had almost the same Test experience. We should be disappointed with the result.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
After all this years, to be bundled out by a wily, but not overwhelming SLA is disappointing. Herath is just a slightly more wily version of Raw-freak! It was our temerity that caused us to stick to the crease instead of getting a long stride in to him.
The key to Herath is playing with the straight bat and playing on the front foot. In the first test, the boys did this and the result was good. In the second test, the players played him either on the back foot or played cross batted shots to throw their wickets.

I hope they learn from this outing.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Very nice article by Mohammad Isam on Cricinfo. Herath showed why we produce so many SLA's in Bangladesh
Old March 20, 2013, 02:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

The team selection was problematic as usual and Shakib's absence was painfully felt. Having said that, can't get a Maruti Suzuki to do a Toyota's job (shooting low here) but it is still disappointing when even that Maruti Suzuki doesn't perform optimally. However, the disappointment was greatly mitigated by good batting from Mushfiq, Nasir, Ashraful and Mominul.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 20, 2013, 02:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Since 2010 we have played 16 tests and out of those 16 tests we have taken 12 tests to 5 days..any team can lose in 4 days..it happens in cricket,one test doesn't mean anything,if your point is about still struggling to take the game to 5 days please do your research, but if you say after 13 years BD still cant win then you have a point

But since i have seen BD cricket lose time after time, being humiliated day after day,i see this 12 matches out of 16 as positives..we struggled to take the test to 3rd day..now finally we are taking it to 5 days..slowly but surely we would win. But for that couple of changes to the infrastructure needs to be done and i would agree with you about one thing that our management isn't interested about doing those changes

and we'll see what happens after ireland gets test status, better leave that argument for future
Good post I loved it.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:46 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I thought our expectation was too high? Now all of a sudden it's too low?
Old March 20, 2013, 02:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Very nice article by Mohammad Isam on Cricinfo. Herath showed why we produce so many SLA's in Bangladesh
Thanks for the post. I missed it.
Because Bangladeshi batsmen struggle against left-arm spin, first-class teams, clubs and every other league side rely on two or three left-arm spinners in every game. Whenever a "lefty" (a popular term in Bangladesh for left-arm orthodox spinners) comes on, the batsmen stiffen up.

The general approach against left-arm spin in Bangladesh is to play safe. Against Herath, they neither took the safety-first approach nor were they successful in hitting him out of the attack. It could have been a different day had they offered a more assured foot forward. . . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lank...ry/625817.html
Old March 20, 2013, 03:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Mollah Salt.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:50 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

We lost 33 out of 58 matches of our first 9 years by an innings. That's 57% of our matches. In the last 5 years we've lost 2 out of 19 by an innings. That's 10.5% of matches. At least we don't get thrashed by an innings in 3 days anymore.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:04 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:

Good post. I would go even further. 14 of our last 20 matches lasted 5 days, 1 of which we won within 4 days.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:

I have to disagree with you here. A team that is playing for 13 years should automatically take a test to 5th day. No exceptions.

Just like AUS is playing for 130 years and they are taking tests to 6th, 7th...10th day. But against India --

1st test - ended on 5th day (11 ov)
2nd test - ended on 4th day
3rd test - ended on 5th day. yay!! oh wait, day 1 was washed out. so still lost within 4 days

First test was drawn coz it was batting paradise. So blame condition and don't consider good batting performance. Second test was lost and outfield was super slow. Now don't blame condition AND consider below average batting performance.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I have to disagree with you here. A team that is playing for 13 years should automatically take a test to 5th day. No exceptions.

Just like AUS is playing for 130 years and they are taking tests to 6th, 7th...10th day. But against India --

1st test - ended on 5th day (11 ov)
2nd test - ended on 4th day
3rd test - ended on 5th day. yay!! oh wait, day 1 was washed out. so still lost within 4 days

First test was drawn coz it was batting paradise. So blame condition and don't consider good batting performance. Second test was lost and outfield was super slow. Now don't blame condition AND consider below average batting performance.
But.... but..... wait a minute .... you have a great sense of humor....
Old March 20, 2013, 12:49 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
The key to Herath is playing with the straight bat and playing on the front foot. In the first test, the boys did this and the result was good. In the second test, the players played him either on the back foot or played cross batted shots to throw their wickets.

I hope they learn from this outing.
Batting with a straight bat is good for most of the players. No everyone has Bradman's footwork, eyesight, and hand-eye coordination.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysun
I am disappointed.

I won't buy the "beating SL in SL is tough" talk for this Test series. The pitches were made in such a way that it neutralized whatever advantage SL has had. They applied themselves more than us and this is where it was lost. Bar Sangakkara, Dilshan and Herath, the other players who made up their XI had almost the same Test experience. We should be disappointed with the result.
Buddy while i agree on your views on application or rather the lack of it i dont agree about the experience factor.

The test experience may be similar, but you have to understand these Sri Lankan players have a lot more first class experience, and their first class is a league above ours. Karunaratne might be only playing his 6th test match but he has close to 50 first class caps with an average close to 45. Chandimal, Thirimane also have similar experience, except Chandimal averages around 57 in first class.

Dont get me wrong the likes of Mominul, Anamul are talented. But they havent played the same volume and quality of cricket as the Sri Lankan newcomers have.

While in ODI's, T20's this difference in experience may not show, it will become clear in the longer version.