facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 6, 2010, 07:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Default Bangladeshi ship seized by Somali pirates

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11925616

Bangladeshi ship seized by pirates heads to Somalia

A Bangladeshi-flagged cargo ship hijacked by pirates off the coast of India appears to be heading towards the Somali coast, shipping officials say.

The MV Jahan Moni, carrying 43,000 tonnes of nickel ore, was taken over by heavily-armed pirates on Sunday.

The ship was taken around 300 nautical miles (550km) off the coast of the southern Indian city of Kochi.

The ship, with 25 Bangladeshi crew on board, was on its way from Indonesia to Greece, officials said.

"For the first time a Bangladeshi-owned ship has been hijacked," Captain Jashimuddin Sarker, chief nautical officer in the Department of Shipping, told the BBC.

"We are tracking the ship and it appears to be moving towards the Somali coast," he said.

The vessel is owned by a Bangladeshi shipping company Brave Royal. One of the sailors is travelling with his wife.

"If the pirates are from Somalia, then it shows that they have the capability to travel even more than 2,000km (1,245 miles) from the Somalian coast," Captain Sarker said.

He said it will take at least four days for the ship to reach Somalia.

Somali pirates have been seizing ships increasingly far away from their homeland, but have never been known to operate so close to India.

Bangladeshi officials have now asked for help from the Indian coast guard and from anti-piracy teams in Dubai and Singapore.

Old December 6, 2010, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

It happened off the coast of India. I am amazed these criminals are have reached up to India!
Old December 6, 2010, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I had been surprised when I heard they were traveling as far south as south as the Tanzanian coast but that was hugging the African continent. Now they are reaching across the Indian ocean all the way to the Indian coast.
Old December 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I think the government should act.

Send in a some paratroopers, arrest/kill the pirates and recover the cargo.
Old December 6, 2010, 01:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

^^ Govt is too busy.
They dont have time for this petty stuffs.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Ek Fakir chintai another Fakir.

Shouldn't we get discount rate while paying ransom money?
Old December 6, 2010, 02:06 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

^^As Fazal mama said the best way....other than that I don't know what to say!

I pray for our sailors safe return home and I pray for these impverished, sad, misguided, starving Somalian pirates that they themselves get out this viscious self-destrutive counterproductive venture and find a better way to fend for themselves instead of giving in to drug addiction and sacrificing their youth and lives to a bunch of blood-sucking gang leaders and warlords.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
^^As Fazal mama said the best way....other than that I don't know what to say!

I pray for our sailors safe return home and I pray for these impverished, sad, misguided, starving Somalian pirates that they themselves get out this viscious self-destrutive counterproductive venture and find a better way to fend for themselves instead of giving in to drug addiction and sacrificing their youth and lives to a bunch of blood-sucking gang leaders and warlords.
These guys are anything but starving. Lot of them are millionaires with all sorts of high tech equipments.
Old December 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
These guys are anything but starving. Lot of them are millionaires with all sorts of high tech equipments.
Scratching my head.
Millionaires do not go in the expeditions. The poor ones have very little options other than trying to find a easy way out.
Old December 6, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

These pirates (their owners/bosses) have a temporary stock exchange and recently introduced mutual funds.
Old December 7, 2010, 12:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Starving, eh ?

NAIROBI -- The young Somali couple had plans. Ilka Ase Mohamed and the love of his life, tall, bright-eyed Fatima Mukhtar, were going to leave their little fishing town of Harardhere, attend university and, when Mohamed had enough cows for a dowry, get married.
But a little over a year ago, the woman Mohamed still calls "my beloved girl" was betrothed to a Somali pirate who wears a black cowboy hat, drives a Land Cruiser and paid $50,000 cash in what Mohamed described as a soulless deal with her mother.
"This man was like a small king who came to Harardhere," said Mohamed, 23. "He was dressed like a president. So many people attended him. I got so angry -- I said, 'Why do they accept this situation? You know this is pirate money
Old December 7, 2010, 12:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Scratching my head.
Millionaires do not go in the expeditions. The poor ones have very little options other than trying to find a easy way out.
Millionaires may not go on monthly expeditions, but plenty a pirate have turned millionaires through these expeditions.
Old December 7, 2010, 09:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Breaking news predicts those are ex-LTTE guerillas turned pirates. No realiable source yet whereas shipping ministry buying time calling it a new and un-dealt problem.
Old December 8, 2010, 12:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Well I agree with all of you bhais here.

Somalis are poor, Tamil Ex-LTTEs are poor and our people are poor as well. So I think although I can understand the misery of poverty but still there is International law, maritime law, this is 2010, this is not Moger Mullook, we all live in a somewhat civiliszed world with civilized manners, rules, this is unacceptable! Poor or not, we should seek these hijjackers/pirates, find them, terminate them and rescue our sons from the dead sea-creatures' filthy hands! We may not have Navy Seals, but we do have our armed force and navy commandoes!

Last edited by bujhee kom; December 8, 2010 at 01:00 AM..
Old December 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Update from AFP.

Quote:
DHAKA (AFP) – A Bangladeshi-flagged vessel hijacked by pirates in the Arabian Sea off the coast of India was heading towards the Somali coast on Monday and would reach there within days, officials said.

The M.V. Jahan Moni, which has 25 Bangladeshi crew on board, was captured on Sunday about 550 kilometres (885 miles) off the coast of Cochin in southern India while sailing to Greece.

The vessel, owned by Bangladeshi shipping company Brave Royal, was carrying 43,000 tonnes of nickel ore from Indonesia.

"So far, we have information that all the Bangladeshi crew are safe. Until it reaches the (Somali) coast, we cannot say whether the pirates are likely to seek a ransom," Shipping Minister Shahjahan Khan told AFP.

The ship is expected to take at least four days to reach the lawless waters off the east African country.

Government ministers and shipping officials were to meet later Monday to discuss their response, while the Bangladeshi prime minister was closely following events, a shipping ministry official said.

India, which has warships deployed in the waters of the Gulf of Aden and the Arabian Sea, also said it was "monitoring" the seizure.

An Indian navy spokesman said there were no immediate plans to board the Jahan Moni, which was attacked twice Sunday before being boarded by the heavily armed pirates.

"The Indian Navy is only monitoring as the international policy is once a ship is taken over then people don't intervene because of the risk to the crew on board," commander P.V.S. Satish told AFP.

India currently has a destroyer-class warship in the waters off Somalia.
The US and other navies have deployed dozens of warships to patrol off east Africa but have failed to stem piracy, one of the few thriving businesses in Somalia, a country devastated by war and poverty.

Officials said Bangladesh's shipping department had also contacted a British anti-piracy office in Dubai and a regional anti-piracy office in Singapore for help.
Old December 8, 2010, 01:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

era to dekhi Maldives ke 30mins ei lengta kore dite pare....such a tiny little country ! bechara ra emni global warming niye bache na, ekhon pirate hamla hoile to kono kothai nai
Old December 8, 2010, 07:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Once hijackers take over, its too late.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Looks like Somali piracy is drawing up a new niche market - pirate hunting.

Pirate Hunting Cruises Being Offered in Russia

Pirate hunting cruises along the African coast are being offered by private yachts in Russia. For £3,500 per day customers can sail along the coast of Somalia at low speed to entice a pirate into attacking.

Former special forces troops are on board to make sure no harm comes to the wealthy punters. If a pirate does take the bait, they are met with machine gun, rocket, and grenade fire. For an extra fee, customers can hire an AK-47 and join in.

"They are worse than the pirates. At least the pirates have the decency to take hostages, these people are just paying to commit murder," said Vladimir Mironov, a Russian yachtsman.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=79310
Old December 8, 2010, 08:00 AM

^^^ They've been watching Van Damme in Hard Target a bit too much. Darned Russkies!
Old December 8, 2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

^^^ Damn fools are gonna get themselves killed. That would have been fine. But - they will also get the hostages killed. They should be hunted out the water.
Old December 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Check it out guys..

http://www.somalicruises.com/

Please read some of the testimonials. And see what you can rent. No Meals included.

Another one, this has better deal.
http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com...ng-Cruise.html

I think I am gonna go after this sea-parasites and should lead a team to rescue our boys!

Bhais and apas, I know I am adding a sense of humor here when 25 of our fathers, brothers are hijakked, kidnapped, kept like prisoners on a vessel that belongs to a Bangladeshi Company and I am sure our brothers are naturally very very scared, probably hurt, and traumatized. I just have such boiling anger in me that sometimes I laugh too much, almost unnaturally just to calm myself. But seriously these fools are on sh!tlist now and these fools this time messed with the wrong brothers, wrong famiglia! If you feel annoyed by these weblinks that I provided, if you find that I am mocking or undermining our men's safety, please let me know gently and I will remove them asap. Or dear mod bhais please deleate this post if you found it too insensitive.

May Allah bless our 25 brothers and bring them safely back home.

Last edited by bujhee kom; December 8, 2010 at 08:06 PM..
Old December 12, 2010, 11:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Anybody has any latest news on this sensitive issue?
Old December 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Chittagong, Dec 11 (bdnews24.com)—Somali pirates, who hijacked a Bangladeshi ship in Arabian Sea, has taken it to the Somalia coast.

The private ship—MV Jahan Moni— reached the Garad village in Somalia's coast at Bangladesh time 1:30am on Saturday, Brave Royal Shipping Management Limited, the owner of the hijacked ship, confirmed bdnews24.com analysing satellite photographs.

Marine superintendent of the company Captain Mohammad Golam Mostafa told bdnews24.com on Saturday that the ship had been anchored at the east coast of Garad.

The authorities could not yet contact with any of the crew or pirates. A satellite telephone to the ship on Saturday morning remained unanswered, Mostafa added.

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=181310&cid=2
Old December 13, 2010, 02:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Update from AFP.
Quote:
Officials said Bangladesh's shipping department had also contacted a British anti-piracy office in Dubai and a regional anti-piracy office in Singapore for help.
Thanks.

You see, it's not only the pirates, there are others who also benefit. I believe that if some one like US Navy is determined to stop these piracy, they can do it in no time. It's really a matter of will. Who knows what politcis/business is being pursued under the cover of piracy.

I worked 1 year + in Somalia/Mogadishu in 1994/95, and I travelled by ship all along the cost of North Africa from the horn to Tanzania. It's not geografically difficult area. It's impossible to hide a boat in the costal areas. It should be a matter of minutes for the US Navy to locate the ship.

There is clearly severe lack of desire to stop this piracy.

Last edited by BANFAN; December 13, 2010 at 02:16 AM..
Old December 13, 2010, 03:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

নাবিকদের মুক্তিতে ১০৫ কোটি টাকা মুক্তিপণ দাবি!

Source: Banglanews24