facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 12, 2006, 07:26 AM
Street Cricketer

Default mohammed ashraful & mohammed rafiqe

what do you think about ashraful. he isnt improving at all after that drmatic win over australia in cradif. he hasnt done much in both the innings his played in the first test match. rafiqe however, is getting better and better. what would we do without him?
Old April 12, 2006, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yeah, i wish rafique hangs around for another three - five years or so, and enamul can learn the trade from the veteran in the meantime.

as for ashraful - he's scored a test century very recently; however, cheletar mathay asholei ghilu nai. i think we should drop him after a fair number of matches for a fair number of matches so that he appreciates the essence of sticking in there.

i know he's been pretty unlucky in the second inning - but then that was a close call, and i'd say it was still his fault.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:47 AM

Ashraful's dismissal in 2nd innings doesnt bother me as much as the way he was playing his 28 balls. He was reckless as he always is. No, that is NOT Test cricket.The best batsmen in the world are so because they are versatlie and can adjust to situations. Look at Gilly, he was cautious, build his innings, took responsibility and then upped the tempo when he was safely ahead! Does Ashraful ever do that? He always goes for a generic form of his game: hit, slash, run, get cheered, get out. Yes, its his natural game to do that - then in that case he should bench it with Aftab and only play ODIs. A Test match isnt about how your natural game is only, its more about how your natural game can adapt to circumstance! Ash has not proved his salt yet, in my eyes. Until he can commit himself to getting set and not playing his risky game for his first 40 runs, he always will be a joker of a batsman.

As for Rafique: He and pilot can play until they are 40. There is no shame in that!Their service in bowling and keeping is invaluable, and we cant let them go in next 5 years time. But at the same time we have to groom Enam and Razzak and young Mushfiqur Rahim to play to the seniors' level.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Ashraful's dismissal in 2nd innings doesnt bother me as much as the way he was playing his 28 balls. He was reckless as he always is. No, that is NOT Test cricket.The best batsmen in the world are so because they are versatlie and can adjust to situations. Look at Gilly, he was cautious, build his innings, took responsibility and then upped the tempo when he was safely ahead! Does Ashraful ever do that? He always goes for a generic form of his game: hit, slash, run, get cheered, get out. Yes, its his natural game to do that - then in that case he should bench it with Aftab and only play ODIs. A Test match isnt about how your natural game is only, its more about how your natural game can adapt to circumstance! Ash has not proved his salt yet, in my eyes. Until he can commit himself to getting set and not playing his risky game for his first 40 runs, he always will be a joker of a batsman.
Right on!!! Both Ash and Aftab showed their inability to the requirements of test cricket this time and despite their talents, other players should be tested out fair and square (look at how an almost forgotten Rajin proved his worth). I hope Nafees Iqbal and Alok Kapali are given chances soon.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Mohamed Rafique: the most useful, patriotic and courageous Bangla player !

Mohamed Ashraful: well, I can't annoy the moderators !
Old April 12, 2006, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i wouldn't call for anyone's head yet; ashraful has just recently scored a test century, and he did sort of play a different game against sri lanka. judging him on a single series since then (kenya doesn't count) isn't fair.

aftab, on the other hand, has pretty much just started playing test cricket. let's bear with him for some time.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
i wouldn't call for anyone's head yet; ashraful has just recently scored a test century, and he did sort of play a different game against sri lanka. judging him on a single series since then (kenya doesn't count) isn't fair.

aftab, on the other hand, has pretty much just started playing test cricket. let's bear with him for some time.
Asif, I mentioned in another post this thing, and should have mentioned it here: Ash's good innings always comes in whenever he's scored 40 up. He plays more composed, and less recklessly in those innings afterwards: Case in point - vs. SL and even in the ODIs v Aus.

About Aftab, I also agree. He has enormous potential, and I would rather he play his natural game. He played 4 times as much longer as Ashraful in 2nd innings, faced 4 times as many balls and 4 times as many runs. It really doesnt prove anything, but in tests the number of minutes and balls faced (and especially the partnership with Rajin) will give you more credit than your strike rate. What I notice about Aftab in his natural game is that he plays confidently and with more orthodox technique than Ashraful, and can pace the innings quite well. He hits when he can, and rotates strike and takes singles at other times. But like Ashraful, his mindless shots have also cost him his scalp many a time.

Frankly I dont want either of them to bench it out. But if people can point to Aftab to only play ODIs, then you shouldnt discriminate about Ashraful staying in the test team either.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Nafees iqbal should be given a chance in place of aftab. and i think ashraful also be dropped for few games. and don't want to make any comments on javed. he just need to stop flashing
Old April 12, 2006, 08:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
Nafees iqbal should be given a chance in place of aftab. and i think ashraful also be dropped for few games. and don't want to make any comments on javed. he just need to stop flashing
No need to drop anyone...BD won't be playing any test match for a year after this series. Hopefully they will improve by then.
Old April 12, 2006, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
No Nafees plz!! He used to doing the same in very recent times.
Old April 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
hahahahahahahaha ......... where did u see him flash ?
Old April 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Md. Rafiq if u c hem closely.. he has somthin dat iz called 'responsibilty' N 'determination'... datz why hes RAFIQ.. a brand.. tho hes not young.. but luk at da way he play... n i hav nothin against.. AFTAB... cuz all da guys sayin not 2 play hes natural play.. n abt ashraFOOL.. hes just.. DUMB or wat can i say??.. enormous talent but no output!!
Old April 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Pagol-chagol bhai,
Where are you? This thread was created for you.

Ash, need to get dropped along with Aftab. they don't know what test cricket is. For Ash, I am not sure if he ever will. He has played few number of tests but still don't get it. both of them should be in the ODI/20-20 though. NI and Rana/Merab Jr. should be in line for the second test. Mentally these boys are more strong than boom-boom ash-aftab. I am missing Rasel badly in this test match.

Rafique - he is the lone fighter(tail). I wouldn't mind him playing few more years in test, may be retire in ODI after the world cup and give others chance. Worried about K Masud's batting. Hope he gets something going in the second test match.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 12, 2006 at 09:16 AM..
Old April 12, 2006, 08:54 AM
First Class Cricketer

Rafique is a true hero.

As I posted in another thread here, Ash should be dropped right after he scores big in a match, for at least 10 matches. He has an attitude problem and Bangladeshi media is partly responsible for that! He thinks he is even better than Bradman! The way he played those 28 balls in the 1st innings, that's not way to play test cricket. He never takes the responsibility. I remember when he got out against Kenya in ODIs, his reply to why he got out the way he did was "Kenyans bowled too slow...that's why the ball didnot reach the boundary and became a catch! Had it been Bret Lee, it would have been a six!!" That's how he thinks. We cannot wait for him to be reckless and get to over 40 runs with sheer luck and then too play more carefully everytime. I think he should be dropped from the team immediately.

As for those you too excited to Aftab being included in the team....He has talent. But he needs to learn what test cricket is all about. It's not about ones natural game! It's about being able to understand the playing conditions and play accordingly. Aftab should watch Gillys 1st innings for at least a 1000 times to learn how to play test cricket, responsibly.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Regarding this match and many more....Rafiq & Ash can't be discussed in the same thread.

Rafiq is a die-hard fighter and Ash is a Gambler.
Rafiq is a great example of Quality and Spirit and Responsibility.
Ash is, so far, an example of Talent gone ashtray.
Old April 12, 2006, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I agree Mohammad Rafique and Mohammad Ashraful should not be discussed in the same thread... they bear no similarity except their desire to hit every ball out of the ground.

I think person who creaed this thread might have mistaken them as brothers.
Old April 12, 2006, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I don't know whats wrong with Ash... I mean I don't want to lose a talent like that but at the sametime, there must be some ways to punish him and make him realize that he can't do that to the team... everytime the team looks upto him, he fails and makes thing harder... yeah once or twice, it just clicks and he gets a score then he goes back to sleep for another six months... maybe a break will do wonder for him just like Rajin
Old April 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I am always against picking aftab and ash togher in single match. we can have one hitter like them in the test but two is too much for us
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2006, 08:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

As for right now, I can't think of playing a match with out Rafique. What will happen when he retires. If you follow the BD vs. Aus match, you will clearly see the difference between Rafique and Enamul. As for the Batsmans, we can't afford to drop any of them, cause we don't have any alternative. For now One thing the coach can do is teach our bowlers how to bat.
Old April 12, 2006, 09:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

'NATURAL GAME'.............'NATURAL GAME'..................'NATURAL GAME', this words killing us. There is nothing like that. If you are a good player you have to play according to the situation. Look at Gill, everyone knows how destructive, but he was cool and played accordingly....thats what is absent in player like Ashraful. He has been already given enough chance to play test cricket..he now needs some REST.
Old April 12, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

i can say couple of name... tusher imran, nefis iqbal hell give rokon a chance fed up with these guys coming in and giving cheap wickets at least they will know that there r players waiting to get a chance....
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled