facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me
Default pakhi..

when my sister and brother in law stopped by in london recently for a couple of days we decided to attend the tour de france opening ceremony in trafalgar square. the youngest nephew is just five and speaks mostly bengali and a little smattering of english in a canadian accent. he is very fond of pigeons and shouts out 'pakhi' every time one is in sight. there are a lot of pigeons in london. when we were walking along the side of cordoned off cycle track near whitehall my young nephew kept on shouting 'pakhi' every few moments seeing all the pigeons. i couldn't work out why there were so many people looking at him and us in general with a look of surprise. then it dawned on me that his shouting of 'pakhi' sounded like 'paki'.

paki is to the pakistani and brown skinned people what 'nigger' is to the black people, an insult

Last edited by reverse_swing; July 23, 2007 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: thread title

Old July 23, 2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I dont think you can compare them (paki and and the N word). Paki can be offending to few, but not all. Also depends on the context I guess.

If you can call someone from Britain a Brit, someone from Pakistan can be a paki. I wont mind at all if someone calls me a Bangla.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

well that might be the case if live outside of uk. for those living in uk, paki is a very insulting word, as insulting as nigger.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Yes, fascinating.

There's a Mandarin Chinese word "Niga", which is the equivalent of "ummm" in English before you think of the next sentence. So imagine a kid using that term near a black person without knowing what connotation it might have.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:17 PM

I remember in my first year here, when talking about the Second World War with some friends, I used the word "japs". I used it naively, as an abbreviation for japanese. I was told very politely and in no uncertain terms that it is a very offensive term. Its the same when saying paki and mallu, and very recently in these forums - "bandors".

Thanks for this public advisory thread Puck, BanglaCricket will not tolerate the use of such discriminating and offensive words by members to identify certain persons or people.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

I got into an argument here once with a member named tiger_man because he used the term "Japs". I told him it was derogatory and not to use it. Let's just say I never saw him since.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Yes, fascinating.

There's a Mandarin Chinese word "Niga", which is the equivalent of "ummm" in English before you think of the next sentence. So imagine a kid using that term near a black person without knowing what connotation it might have.
many years ago, at king edwards, my best friend was ariel, an israeli doctor's son. he spoke with a very strong middle eastern accent. there was a big black kid a year below us known to be a trouble maker. his name was negus. ariel had a minor fight with negus during lunch hour. first lesson after lunch was latin. so latin master looks at ariel's shorn jacket and asks why he was looking so shabby. so ariel announces in his really strong middle eastern accent that negus was picking on him so they had a scuffle. latin master heard 'negus' to be 'nigger' and had ariel stand outside of the class room for the entire lesson!
Old July 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cricket Sage

I think there is a common mis-information/feeling among Bangladeshi, that it is not an offensive word. I think, it doesn't matter whether we (non-Pakistani origin) feel it's offensive or not, rather it should be the Pakistani origin people who decides whether its offensive or not.

Based on conversation with Pakistani people in the past in USA, I am quite sure they consider that word 'offensive'. Therefore without any qurestion asked, we should respect their feeling and not use it.

And thanks Puck for bringing that thing up.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I mentioned this months ago. Every single member just so nicely avoided my comment. In reality, words like paki, ghoti, mallu, dadaiya...all these are extremely discriminatory and many people use it without knowing their real meaning. I'll probably draw attention if I say whether BanglaCricket should do something about it. Afterall, I'm not a mod.
Old July 23, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The N - word is offensive to the blacks when a general person uses it. However, if a black person uses it then it is seen as calling him "bro". The white race can not use it in any circumstances. brown people like us, if we are attached to them like brothers and the setting is set (like in a game) they wouldn't mind. Just like the other words "F".
Old July 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

instead of banning these offensive terms wouldn't it be better to educate the forum members not to use them in an offensive context?
Old July 23, 2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I mentioned this months ago. Every single member just so nicely avoided my comment. In reality, words like paki, ghoti, mallu, dadaiya...all these are extremely discriminatory and many people use it without knowing their real meaning. I'll probably draw attention if I say whether BanglaCricket should do something about it. Afterall, I'm not a mod.
As a member - you and every member do have the right to educate, suggest and urge as necessary.

The primary "rule" of our forum (read the FAQ) is "maintaining a civil and courteous forum". Remember too that the rules often speak of "BanglaCricket Community Standards". In addition to what the admins and mods may think, we also take a cue form the community of members that make up BanglaCricket in particular, and the community these members come from at large in general.

Now speaking particularly of the term in question: I had known that the term is extremely offensive in the UK. Bangladeshis/Pakistanis/Indians et al are all subject to this. I have also been told more recently by some that the term is losing its offensive nature. I am not sure how widespread this is but I would still refrain from using this term myself.

Outside the UK, people are not aware of the offensive turn this word has taken and use it quite often.
Old July 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Rather interestingly, i have seen many pakistani fans sporting "Paki-Power" banner during some India-Pakistan series.

Paki in Pakistan is not a racist. Spoken elsewhere, it is racist .
Old July 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

In UK it is a racist word and anyone shouting it can be tried in the court of law. If proved, he can face a jail term of up to 5 years (to best of my knowledge, due to racial abuse).

Last edited by Miraz; July 23, 2007 at 01:18 PM..
Old July 23, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I have also been told more recently by some that the term is losing its offensive nature. I am not sure how widespread this is but I would still refrain from using this term myself.
in the post 9/11 and 7/7 context many words have lost a little edge. the term muslim, used in a derrogatory sense by right wing groups can also come across as offensive, but not in a general sense. paki is still a very offensive work and i'd take it as an insult if someone called me a paki. society is nowhere near as latently racist as it was perhaps fifteen years ago.
Old July 23, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I remember in my first year here, when talking about the Second World War with some friends, I used the word "japs". I used it naively, as an abbreviation for japanese. I was told very politely and in no uncertain terms that it is a very offensive term. Its the same when saying paki and mallu, and very recently in these forums - "bandors".

Thanks for this public advisory thread Puck, BanglaCricket will not tolerate the use of such discriminating and offensive words by members to identify certain persons or people.
did the same thing in my eurpean history class in 12th grade...teh teacher told me it was offensive so i stoppped using it. although i had typed the word in my report, lol

i think we can all take a page out of clayton bigsby's book and follow his advice:

"if you have hate in your heart, let it out"

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
In UK it is a racist word and anyone shouting it can be tried in the court of law. If proved, he can face a jail term of up to 5 years (to best of my knowledge, due to racial abuse).
Here's a news story about the use of word paki (2003 news).

Racist faces jail under first British court order
Old July 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Dave Chappelle - The Black White Supremacist - The best free videos are right here

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Miraz bhai, that guy was mainly found guilty for abusing council housing staffs,threatening violence or attempting criminal damage not for using that word only. Many third generation British born Pakistani now a days use this word to classify themselves. BBC also used this term in the past.But this is also true that for many British Asians it remains a totally unacceptable form of racist abuse. So better if we avoid this term.If you live cities like Glasgow or Edinburgh where most of the asians are Pakistanis chances are you will frequently hear this word used in casual conversations.

Btw, made this thread title to pakhi as requested by the members.

Last edited by reverse_swing; July 23, 2007 at 01:56 PM..
Old July 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
- embedded video -
Dave Chappelle - The Black White Supremacist - The best free videos are right here
LMFAO
Old July 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
Cricket Legend

what about 'paikka' and maura/mallus.
Old July 23, 2007, 03:24 PM
Cricket Guru

That's when you know that there's no other explanation for that other than being "racist".
Old July 23, 2007, 03:49 PM

nigger, paki, mallu, ghoti, jap, paikka, maura, kaffir, dadaiya, kike, spic, sand nigger.... all the same, discriminatory & derogatory.
Old July 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Once at someone's Janaza, some people were talking about Shariya law, and the fact that it was denied in the Canadian system. That was back in 2005 or 2006 I believe. I opined that Shariya law shouldn't be in the Canadian system simply because there's too much multiculturalism and there's mixing of different races and religion. Inclusion of it will bring in flaws in the system, and people who shouldn't be imposed with the law will eventually fall into those gaps where you have no "clear" answer.

One of the most respected members in that group (definitely a Bangali) started his boktrita, and said "whoever don't want Shariya law is a kafer".

His intention was clear - to get the message across. I was sad that day, coz I couldn't get my message across. My parents gave me enough education and lessons to not smack the s**** out of my elders, even when the ones of "this" sort deserved every little inch of the dirtiest shoe I had in my closet.
Old July 23, 2007, 04:12 PM

you're right Kabir... when muslims go around brandishing people as "kafer" left right and centre, thats as much hate speech as a white person calling a black african a "kaffir". I find it to be an affront and extremely offensive if someone was to go around questioning my iman because i dont keep a beard, criticised a policy I think flawed, or "worse" things like having a gf!