facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy
Default Help with choosing a laptop!

hey guys! i am planning to buy a laptop and i am knda clueless about what to buy. i won't go for apple beause i am very comfortable with windows. i had vaio or maybe sth from dell in mind, but pls feel free to suggest other brands. so pls shoot away with ur suggestions(i am looking for a pretty laptop, with switchable lids if possible)!

Old September 9, 2011, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

switchable lid to DELL INSPIRON R model e ase ......

tomar approximate budget koto ???? budget er idea paile then suggestion dewa easy hobe.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

^^^ budget nai. my dad was very happy with my results and so i earned a free hit! it can be anything, even the tk 200 000 worth apple laptops.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:11 PM
Cricket Savant

u can go for DELL INSPIRON 14R, 15R or 17R

basic difference is

14 R consists 14 inch screen which is the best size of a laptop for me.
15 R consists 15.6 inch screen which is not too big, u will enjoy the bigger screen but the laptop gets bigger and heavier and a bit tough to carry
17 consists a 17.3 inch screen and laptops should not be this big and heavy in my opinion.

so choose between 14R or 15R. or if really want a big laptop u can go for 17R too but i dont recommend

now for 14R u can choose between i3,i5 but for 15R and 17R u can choose between i3,i5,i7. as u dont have budget limit no need to go for the cheap i3 processor. again i7 may be too powerful. u may not need such a powerful laptop.

so i recommend u to go for i5 processors. but if want to pick up an i7 processor its ur wish. no problem as u have no budget limit.

although u have to check the availability in BD. i doubt whether the i7 versions are available. but i5 versions should be available. but if u wish to have an i7 version u may have to order one from abroad.

so if i was in ur position, after all the advice above i would have gone for 14R with i5. if you need some extra dimensions in screen go for 15R
Old September 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: shakib,shourav

never buy dell. it sakks
Old September 9, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Toshiba are long lasting machines.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Go for "Doel" (not 'dell') ! its a deshi brand and its cheap too. deshi ponyo, kine hoy honyo !

Quote:
'Doel', the cheap laptop manufactured by the Telephone Shilpa Sangstha (TSS), waits for prime minister Sheikh Hasina's green light to hit the market at the price of Tk 10,000-25,000. According to Raju, four brands of Doel laptops will be sold at Tk 10,000, Tk 12,000, Tk 21,000 and Tk 25,000.

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=4&id=205563&hb=5
Old September 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
hey guys! i am planning to buy a laptop and i am knda clueless about what to buy. i won't go for apple beause i am very comfortable with windows. i had vaio or maybe sth from dell in mind, but pls feel free to suggest other brands. so pls shoot away with ur suggestions(i am looking for a pretty laptop, with switchable lids if possible)!
What would you use it for?

Computation?
Gaming?
Graphics and Design?
Portability?

I had many Vaios and also HP and I will discourage you from both.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: shakib,shourav

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Toshiba are long lasting machines.
ditto
Old September 9, 2011, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

You can go for Alienware m14x. If you are buying from bd then contact Computer Source BD coz they are the only distributor of alienware.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old September 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
^^^ budget nai. my dad was very happy with my results and so i earned a free hit! it can be anything, even the tk 200 000 worth apple laptops.
In terms of looks nothing beats apple. These days their performance are very good as well - it isn't like the old days anymore. You can always buy them and get used to it (personally i wouln't buy one for me but for a gift that is the first thing I would think of). Go for Macbook air if you gonna be carrying it around around campus - it has "mug me" all over it. And you will be so cool.

I was actually researching for some laptops for protability that is not macbook but windows based as i need one. I never used this but ck this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RMYnVAiM0

For you, I think Lenovo idea pad 260 would be good. But for me, I think I am gonna purchase that acer timeline 1830t they showed at the end of the video.
Old September 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I would suggest the macbook pro 13" model. It looks amazing... really fast and not that heavy to carry around. The battery life is about 7 hours so u can do a lot of things while the electricity is not there. The new operating system for apple OSX Lion allows you to bootcamp the laptop which means you can run both windows and mac operating system on the same machine...just have to select when you switch on.

Macbook air is nice too but i don't like the fact that it doesnt have a dvd drive.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

For the last 8 years, I've always recommended Dell laptops. Unfortunately, since they started building more laptops in China (instead of Malaysia), the build quality seems to have declined. More and more people getting laptops these days with defects. I bought an XPS L701X earlier this year (really pimped up configuration), and it came with a major defect straight out of the box which could have been easily picked up if there was any level of quality control... and I'm not the only person who received the same laptop with the exact same defect. The laptop itself is not bad though, well worth the money... just that the initial screw-up has put me off Dell now! They were, however, kind enough to send a technician to my house to replace the part (even though my warranty did not cover on-site repair).

BTW, do NOT buy the overpriced Alienware crap!

But, like someone said already, it all depends on what you are going to do with your laptop, and how portable you need it to be. I use mine for gaming (including PS2 emulation, which it does amazingly well), streaming SD/HD videos to PS3 (and sometimes watching on the laptop itself), and general Internet stuff...
Old September 10, 2011, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I would suggest the macbook pro 13" model. It looks amazing... really fast and not that heavy to carry around. The battery life is about 7 hours so u can do a lot of things while the electricity is not there. The new operating system for apple OSX Lion allows you to bootcamp the laptop which means you can run both windows and mac operating system on the same machine...just have to select when you switch on.

Macbook air is nice too but i don't like the fact that it doesnt have a dvd drive.
I've been Windows/Linux user for ages (my current laptop is a dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu) and it's an HP that I will not recommend to anyone. It's a quad core and was designed to replace my desktop but runs too hot and performance does not live up to the specs.

That saying - my wife and daughter are both MacBook Pros and I am very, impressed. Looks great, light and zippy. I love the Unix underpinnings and performance/$ is now about par with comparable non Apple machines. As for running Windows application, parallels is even better than bootcamping it.

I am even contemplating switching next to an apple and perhaps even the Air. Frankly - with net access as good as it is here. I've not had to use my optical drive at all. And these days - we are purchasing shows via iTunes and watching it on TV via Apple TV.

With bandwidth what it is in Bangladesh, that might not be an option for Lamisa. If not a MacBook pro, a Lenovo IdeaPad, a Toshiba Protege or a Dell inspiron might work.

Now if what's on top of the laptop (the cover) is more important than what's inside, then the Inspiron might be your thing. Dell does switchable covers.

I am not sure you are a gamer that you'ld need the ooopmh of Alienware.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:32 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

ASUS EEE Slate EP121 looks pretty nice. Decent hardware and battery life, good looking, doubles as tablet and not too expensive. Costs $1100 in US, shouldn't cost more than 100,000-110,000 if you buy from BD. You could order one from Global Brand, if it's not available in local market yet.

Ultrabooks (PC manufacturers' answer to Macbook Air) should hit market soon, they are worth waiting for IMO.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4729/m...a-protege-z830
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4725/l...300s-ultrabook

Last edited by Spitfire_x86; September 10, 2011 at 04:36 AM..
Old September 10, 2011, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
How much you want to spend?
Scroll up.
Old September 10, 2011, 04:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Is size is a matter for you?

For me, 13" is good and I dont like sizes beyond 14", but you don't get all the features in this size. Like Mac pro 13 doesnt have "AMD Radeon graphics processors" which the 15 & 17 models have. Since I do sometimes a bit of video editing, so when I saw Mac Pro 13" doesn't have that, I'm in a dilema. It's not mandatory but getting greedy seeing a completely seperate processor for graphics. Since I'm no expert, i don't know how this will affect me in future. And Mack book pro also doesnt have USB 3.0 slots, which may be a problem unless you are changing laptops in 1/2 years. I'm using a vaio S series for last almost 5 years, it's still working fine, but just a bit low in configuration for current laptops. Will be waiting for next version of mac book pro 13", meanwhile my iPad 2 has taken over a good amount of work load fom my vaio.

So, you have to first decide what size, look, work, performance you want from your laptop and then compare, who all meet your fixed criterias. IMO Mac Book Pro is still the best for durability and performance. You may also check ASUS 13.3 or so, that is also at par with mac Book Pro 2 by most of the expert reviews on performance. But durability and looks may not be as impressive.

if you dont have any fuss with size, you should go for Mac Book Pro 15" and relax for at least 5 years if not more.
Old September 10, 2011, 04:37 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Scroll up.
Thanks for pointing out.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:45 AM
Cricket Legend

size in no big deal for me. and i am not getting it from here. my aunt will go to singapore in two days time and she will get it for me. so far, i am more inclined towards dell, so pls share ur opinion about dell guys! and i will use the laptop for uni, browsing and watching movies. so nothing too high powered for me
Old September 10, 2011, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

i have nearly made up my mind about getting a 15R i7.i chose 15r mainly becaus i want i7. i intend to use this laptop for as long as i can and that's why i want i7. now pls help me with the specifications
Old September 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
i have nearly made up my mind about getting a 15R i7.i chose 15r mainly becaus i want i7. i intend to use this laptop for as long as i can and that's why i want i7. now pls help me with the specifications
Product Description
Processor

Intel® CoreTM i7-2630QM (2.0GHz/6MB cache)
Processor 2.0 GHz Turbo upto 2.9GHz, Qual Core, 8 Threads, 6M Cache)

Memory

6GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory

Chipset

Mobile Intel® 5 Series Express Chipset

Video Card (Dual Graphic Card)

Integrated 1600MB Intel® HD 3000
1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M

Display

15.6 inch display (1366x768)

Audio and Speakers

SRS Premium Sound™ - 2 speakers @ 2W each
Built-in microphone

Hard Drive

640GB SATA hard drive (5400RPM)

Optical Drive

Internal tray-load DVD+/-RW

Power

6-cell 48WHr Li-Ion Battery

Camera

1.0MP Integrated 1280x720 native HD Webcam

Wireless

Wi-Fi Options:

Wi-Fi Bluetooth Options:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn + Bluetooth)

WiMax Options:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 (1x2 bgn + WiMax)

Ports, Slots & Chassis

Externally Accessible
(2) USB 3.0
(1) USB 2.0
(1) USB 2.0 with E-SATA & Power Share
HDMI v1.4 Port
VGA Port
Integrated network connector 10/100
LAN (RJ45)
AC adapter connector
Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 Mic-in)

8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Digital (SD) Memory Card
Secure Digital Extended
Capacity (SDXC)
Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC)
Multi Media Card (MMC)
MultiMedia Card plus (MMC+)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick PRO (MS Pro)
xD Picture Card (xD)

Dimensions & Weight

Standard system
Width: 13.50" (343mm)
Height: 1.20" (30.4mm) front / 1.29" (32.8 mm) back
Depth: 9.68" (245.8mm)
Starting weight of 4.89lbs (2.218 kg)

SWITCH by Design Studio
Width: 13.50" (343mm)
Height: 1.26" (31.9mm) front / 1.35" (34.3 mm) back
Depth: 9.68" (245.8mm)
Starting weight of 5.24 lbs (2.38 kg)
Old September 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

^^thank u so much! where did u get all this info from? if i could pls have the link, i would like to check out the price
Old September 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

laptops like PCs more or less are similar in their respective sections.

All depends upon you as a user what you want from the machine. The higher the spec tends to be better machines. What I suggest is choose a few laptops and read customer reviews for better known brands.

For lighter use you can select any of the well known brands. However for heavy duty use I have seen dell,acer and Toshiba seem a bit more reliable.

But from my experience and Sony HP Packard bell and compaq tend to be a like a little less reliable.

Users outside bd tend to focus on extras and after sales customer service.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old September 10, 2011, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
size in no big deal for me.
you manage to say just the right things in this forum day after day.
Old September 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Always go with 7200RPM hard drive(s) on laptops... trust me on this!