facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 12, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
Also, Tamim Iqbal is not in the Test squad. Interesting.
not interesting at all...he did nothing to warrant a place in the test squad...have you been following BD cricket lately, fahmida?

#OneTeam1Dream

Old May 12, 2007, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I'm so glad that this is the last selection of this selection board. Awefull team selection.
yes its awful and for 2 reasons only: habibul bashar

shala ja kee, amra nejei buzi na...

i think mushy should have been there in place of pilot, but hopefully pilot's fire is lit to keep his Test spot. don't like Javed's inclusion but i guess we had no one else, would have favoured N Iqbal.

aftab didnt deserve a spot, tho his fielding alone would be 50 trillion times more useful that bashar's batting and captaincy combined.

i am just worried that we might see biased selection from akram.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 12, 2007, 01:51 PM
Cricket Sage

on 2nd thought exclusion of mushy was a cardinal sin - dumb dumb dumb move...they could have even drafted both pilot and mushy

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 12, 2007, 01:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

In this series all these oldies should retire, Basahr, Pilot, JO.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:00 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
In this series all these oldies should retire, Basahr, Pilot, JO.
If I remember correctly, all 3 has same day ODI debut (or is it Rafique instead of one of them?). It would be nice to have these 3 retire on the same day. Most preferably, before the test series.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Wish they will play at the best.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
Street Cricketer

I think the best team can be picked has been picked... aftab, tamim and razzaq isnt well suited for Test. not quite sure about pilot. here is my team
1. JO (for test no replacement we have)
2. SN (first preference)/ Enam Jr
3. Basher (for test no replacement we have)
4. Tushar (first preference) / sakib
5. Ash (for test no replacement we have)
6. Rajin (He is the best for Test )
7. Pilot
8. Rafiq
9. Mash
10 Enam Jr.
11. Shahadat (first preference) / Rasel

I hope Bashar will retire from ODI after the last match against IND.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

i think its a good selection...

Aftab is a very good ODI player.. but in test hes a flop.. as he was in domestice league
Tamim could've been picked up..but hes very young and inexperienced..
Mushfiques is not a good keeper. In ODI he's okay for his batting. In test we need good keeping who can be there for long hours... Mushfiq lacking that.. He could have been picked up as a batsman though..
Pilot is there for his keeping ability only. We need a good keeper in Test.
Razzak is not there because of Enamul Jr. Enamul Jr is much much better than Razzak in Test. Razzak is a very good bowler in ODI but not in Test..
Tushar deserved the chance. He was playing welll with the A team recently.

Overall its not a bad selection..
Old May 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Worst ever selection process in Faruq era! Mushfiq should have been kept ahead of Pilot or at least he could be easily selected as a specialized batsman. Tamim's exclusion is well judged but why is Aftab out of the club makes no sense to me. Beamer mentioned that Aftab got to learn how to play spin before considering himself as a Test player. I wonder if there is any single batter in our team who is comfy with quality spin attack except Ash. Aftab, if not for a long innings, has all the ability to score runs (which is similarly important in Test cricket) in any given wicket condition irrespective to one day or Test format.

Mehrab Jr's inclusion is also a tough call. He didnt justify his talent while playing for A team. Ok ok, I will still consider him well ahead of javed Omar, when the later has no right to play either version of cricket with zero technique and inability to click the score board.
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life

Last edited by Navarene; May 12, 2007 at 02:54 PM..
Old May 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

Quote:
If I remember correctly, all 3 has same day ODI debut (or is it Rafique instead of one of them?). It would be nice to have these 3 retire on the same day. Most preferably, before the test series.
hahahaha lol i wish that did happen.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
By far the worst selection made by this panel. I am very very disappointed to say the least. Whatever chances we had of making a contest out of the test matches has been thrown out of the window. I am no longer interested in following the test series now.

Time and again people talk BS about test cricket no being for aggressive players like Tamim, aftab et al. If this was true then the entire Australian batting line up should be replaced. The game has evolved but unfortunately some people do not adapt well to change and keep thinking in their age old formula fashion. These fans are equivalent to bashar. Bashar follows a script while captaining while these fans cannot think outside the box which is what made the australians the invincible team they are now. Aftab and Tamim have the ability to play long innings and seeing how Aftab has performed in some of the test matches it gives indication of his ability to play test matches. The inclusion of pilot is the biggest crap of a decision in the entire selection process. Mushfique should be playing both forms of the game and there is no two way about it. I also think rasel is not suitable for test matches where mere line and length will not get you any result. Exclusion of razzak is also very unfortunate. He has performed well and should also have been chosen in the test matches ahead of enamul jnr who would come in once rafique retires. JO in the test match is a no no. Mehrab jnr is a better option. You dont need players who can block all day. You need players who are capable of playing long innings but are also adept at taking singles and twos. Mehrab jnr is better in that respect than JO. No point in taking both. I have a feeling Bashar will fail miserably in the test matches too and after this series should retire from international cricket completely along with JO. Overall the worst selection for this panel. Disappointment and shock is an understatement.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Perfect team although all defensive players.
Old May 12, 2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
I believe the seniors are more valuable in test teams...People like Tamim would not be able to score much in test match conditions any time soon...its too much to expect from these sloggers .
Old May 12, 2007, 03:06 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

My complain is against Tushar as well. He has been given so many chances and always choked to death. Are we gonna see anything different from him? I'm sure we won't.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

My Team for the 1st Test:

Javed Belim
Shahriar Nafees
Habibul Bashar
Rajin Saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Khaled Mashud
Mashrafe Mortaza
Mohammad Rafiq
Shahadat Hossain
Enamul Haque Jr.
Sayed Rasel

There is no point of playing with two pace bowlers in such hot and humid condition. I had to omit Shakib Al Hasan to make room for Shahadat Hossain, but I truly believe that Sakib has the potential to become a great test player.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Javed Belim
Shahriar Nafees
Habibul Bashar
Rajin Saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Khaled Mashud
Mashrafe Mortaza
Mohammad Rafiq
Shahadat Hossain
Enamul Haque Jr.
Sayed Rasel

There is no point of playing with two pace bowlers in such hot and humid condition. I had to omit Shakib Al Hasan to make room for Shahadat Hossain, but I truly believe that Sakib has the potential to become a great test player.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohra
I believe the seniors are more valuable in test teams...People like Tamim would not be able to score much in test match conditions any time soon...its too much to expect from these sloggers .
Have you seen tamim play in any test matches that you know he will be slogging there? Tamim has the technique to play in test matches. If you think otherwise you have not been watching him play in the ODIs. Yes he does go after and try hit everything in ODIs but how do you know he will not adapt his game to test matches? After all he is not an idiot to not realise the difference between test and odi. What matters is if he checks his slogs and plays his usual aggressive self but in a more conventional style which he is very well capable of. Aftab has played test matches and I dont remember seeing him try and slog there. Yes he has not been that successful yet but he has not played that many test matches either. What matters is the technique of the player in test matches. Not his age or his level of aggressiveness. This talk about defensive and experienced players being better for test matches is the biggest bull.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
My complain is against Tushar as well. He has been given so many chances and always choked to death. Are we gonna see anything different from him? I'm sure we won't.
To be fair to him, he got very little chance in tests. Many of his good A team scores were in FC matches. Hopefully tests will suit him better than ODIs.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Tamim has the technique to play in test matches. If you think otherwise you have not been watching him play in the ODIs. Yes he does go after and try hit everything in ODIs but how do you know he will not adapt his game to test matches? After all he is not an idiot to not realise the difference between test and odi. What matters is if he checks his slogs and plays his usual aggressive self but in a more conventional style which he is very well capable of. Aftab has played test matches and I dont remember seeing him try and slog there. Yes he has not been that successful yet but he has not played that many test matches either. What matters is the technique of the player in test matches. Not his age or his level of aggressiveness. This talk about defensive and experienced players being better for test matches is the biggest bull.
I agree with you here.

As Beamer already said, Aftab's exclusion is justifiable because of his weakness against spin. But I don't see any good reason behind Tamim's exclusion. He is the only batsman Indian pacers seemed to be scared of, they will be definately be happier not to see him in Tests.

Also, I don't see why Mehrab Jr should be considered as a back up opener. His recent performances for the A-team/Academy team as an opener are not encouraging. He seems to do better as a middle order batsman.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Take Golla out and put Mehrab in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul

Javed Belim
Shahriar Nafees
Habibul Bashar
Rajin Saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Khaled Mashud
Mashrafe Mortaza
Mohammad Rafiq
Shahadat Hossain
Enamul Haque Jr.
Sayed Rasel

Old May 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I think Aftab is our most talented batsmen alongside Ashraful, they should still keep hope for Aftab. In the long run, he will be awesome.
Old May 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

I am very much frustrated and disappointed that Mushfique was not included. Shame on the selection board.
Old May 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
To be fair to him, he got very little chance in tests. Many of his good A team scores were in FC matches. Hopefully tests will suit him better than ODIs.
u might be onto something...TI might do better in tests...plus remember the kid debuted at 17 years of age...he has matured a lot since then i'm sure.

captained the a team for a while...this is the ideal route...he may actually be an integral part of our team come 2009

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I'm not too happy about Mushy's exclusion. I think he's shown sufficient temperment and ability to justify a place in the test side. Othewise it's an ok squad.

My playing XI:

1. Mehrab Hossain Jr.
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Habibul Bashar
4. Sakib Al Hasan
5. Mohammad Ashraful
6. Tushar Imran
7. Khaled Mashud
8. Mashrafe Mortaza
9. Mohammad Rafiq
10. Enamul Haque Jr.
11. Syed Rasel
Old May 12, 2007, 08:20 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

heres my test playing 11

SN- for his amazing test ability and the only true good all around opener for BD

Mehrab- Good player and is better option than JO and communicates well with SN. and can bowl and takes wicket.

Bashar-yup this version of the game was made for him, i mean he played good test yesterday even though it was quite painful to watch and looked to make easy 43

Saqib- what can I say about this guy, Just will be loving test matches and good partnership builder and has test(right) mentality. HIs bowling might also have luck if he turns the balls

Ashraful- well showed no hope on the ODIs but might show signs of hope on the tests. We all know what he is capable of on his days

Tushar- welll he looks like a good test player and He really didnt get fair chances to prove himself.

Masud- well we need a good keeper who will not drop chances

Mashrafe- good fast bowler but needs to show more consistancy of taking wickets.

Rafiq- SO far the only reliable test bowler

Enamul jr- from what I have been hearing he might be the wicket taking spinner we are looking for. I pray to god that he can actually "turn" the ball and "turn" it both ways

Shahadat- well test is the only way he can improve and might actually turn around.

ps. Rasel not in due to his slow pace which will give no trouble to test condition. The debate between mehrab and JO was quite difficult, but due to Mehrab's bowling ability and better understanding with SN, I think he deserved it. I also noticed that we are going with only 4 recognizable bowlers and 2 allrounder( saqib and Mehrab). I just hope that our bowling wont be that much toothless as in the ODIs

Last edited by tonoy; May 12, 2007 at 08:26 PM..