facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 15, 2008, 03:30 AM

Default Fan's Expectation and Reality...

আশা আর উচ্চাশার খেলা...

সবাই আমরা হতাস - ওডিআই সিরিজ না জেতার জন্যে...
আর, টেস্ট সিরিজ ড্র করতে পারিনি বলে...
একটুতেই বিশ্বাস হারিয়ে ফেলেছি আমাদের তরুন দলটির উপর থেকে...
কিন্তু কেন?

বিশ্বকাপে তিনটি খেলা জিতেছি---তাই বলেকি আমরা সবাইকেই হারানোর যোগ্যতা অরজন করে ফেলেছি? বিশেষ করে নিউজিল্যান্ড এর মাটিতে তাদেরকেই হারানোর শক্তি আমাদের কি আছে? যেখানে অন্য বড় দলগুলিই হিমসিম খায় ভাল করতে!

আম্পায়ারিং এর কথা আর নাই বললাম!! জনাব পারকার এর আম্পায়ারিং যে এতো কদাকার...ক্রিকেটে একটা ভুল সিদ্ধান্ত খেলার ধারাই বদলে দিতে পারে, সেখানে ভুল ছিল অসংখ্য...
বিসিবি'র কথা কিছু বলার নেই আমার... লাথথি খেতে খেতে আমাদের যে অভ্যাস হয়ে গেছে...প্রতিবাদ করার মানসিক শক্তিও আর আমাদের নেই, বিচার চাওয়াত দূরের কথা...
ভাগ্যদেবী ও আমাদের সহায় ছিলনা যে!!! আশরাফুলের টস ভাগ্য কালের সাক্ষী হয়ে থাকবে।

আমরা এখনো একটা স্থায়ী দলও পাইনি...পরীক্ষা-নিরীক্ষা চলছে প্রতিনিয়ত, আর নতুন কোচতো পেলাম সেদিন...সাথে আন্যান্ন সীমাবদ্ধতাতো আছেই।

এত সহজেই হতাস হয়ে যাই কেন আমরা?
হতাসা হচ্ছে সংক্রামক ব্যাধি...এই ব্যাধি যেন খেলোয়ারদের মধ্যে না ছড়ায়...আমাদেরই দেখতে হবে সেটা, এবং সাথে অনুপ্রানীতও করতে হবে আমাদের তরুন দলটাকে...সুন্দর আগামীর প্রত্যাশায়...
আমাদের কাজটিও কি আমরা করছি??

Last edited by kalpurush; January 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old January 15, 2008, 03:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I know there is no use getting frustated, it does not help. But as fans, we must be surely concened at a continual down ward trend of the team. Had it been bacause of extra ordinary performance from the opponent, could be acceptable, but it is mostly our players failure to perform.

The concern is, Have they even met any ealistic expectation? when we started loosing the practice matches, many were telling, ohh it's just a practice match, and they havn't yet got used to the condition, and now you are saying that, they are new team, young boys etc... This attitude does not help. When you are playing at the test level, every one expects you to perform appropriate at that level, there is a level for the young and inexperienced side as well, we are clearly falling short by miles in every standards. If we just find such lame excuses to get them away with such performance, we are not doing enough and are spoiling them. No reason is good enough fo such performance.

Do they have the potential and ability to perform at this level soon? Determining that should be our biggest concern. what are the cricketing reasons for such poor performance and can it be rectified soon? we should find that out and if it is not possible, we should voluntarily come up to keep ourselves away for a few years from test status, rathar than being forced out by ICC. We can't bear that shame as a nation.

There is a big difference between expectation and ability. There is nothing emotional about it. We must face it practically. I share the concerns of many other fans and it is time for us to be serious about the issue and take a realistic decision to protect our national respect. If we are not capable of determining that, we can take the help of a team of experts from all over the world to do it. Right now, our expectation and ability surely don't match.
Old January 15, 2008, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

We didn't expect BD to win over NZ!!! We only expected a better performance than what we did in 04 against the Black caps. We expected a test match running at least 4 days. We expectded some perseverance from our batters. We expected a much better fielding attitude. We didn't expect too much, cause pur players are well capable of doing these. But they have no brain what i forgot.
Old January 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Something definitely went wrong here and I am sure Coach Siddons has gotten to the bottom of it. They performed better in the first test, just like when they performed better in the first ODI. My observations is that they go downhill, and there has to be a reason for that.Perhaps, it is their mindset, cannot concentrate, failure to continue to live up to expectations, I am just baffled, as I am sure so many people are.

Think about this team who beat india and SA so convincingly, beat the WI in SA so convincingly, This is a much better team which beat the Aussies in 2005.
It is a mystery, there is no shortage of talent, yet they fail to capitalize.

I feel that they are mentally demoralized at the moment, and it will take some time for a proper mindset.
Hoping Siddons can give them the pep talk and tell them to believe in themselves
Old January 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

^^Yeah they performed better in first ODI and first Test. The partnership between Ash/Tamim and Tamim/Zunaed was also similar but everything else was pretty much down. Siddons need to give a very HARD pep talk. Seemed like he did a workout with Tamim and he should do same with Ash.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

It is very simple. The fans expectation is too high. Therefore, their frustration is also at the highend. Wants some head on a platter, overhaul changes. That is not the way to go. Lower your expectation to the reality.

As for some positive lashing to the fans who are calling heads:

I want to see one fan who really expected two rookie in their debut opening in a test and having a century stand. Anyone? That is even at a hostile condition? Now tell me was that above your expectation or not?

Second, coming in to the test, after losing Rasel (who was suppose to get the most out of these wickets), you guys expected to get NZ all out at their place? Come on, be realistic? They did twice. Now tell me was that above your expectation or not?

If any of the answer is "no" then you fall in the category of expecting too high. Bring it down a notch.

Kalpurush bhai,
Thank you for your timely reminder. (we won three WC matches by the way, two big ones )

Last edited by Tigers_eye; January 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM..
Old January 15, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

wud it help if we acted lik da indians?like stick the pics of players on da face of sum scarecrow nd den burn it?i mean lik i really luv dose guys but itz lik sth dat cud bring them bak 2 senses.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
It is very simple. The fans expectation is too high. Therefore, their frustration is also at the highend. Wants some head on a platter, overhaul changes. That is not the way to go. Lower your expectation to the reality.

I want to see one fan who really expected two rookie in their debut opening in a test and having a century stand. Anyone? That is even at a hostile condition? Now tell me was that above your expectation or not?

Second, coming in to the test, after losing Rasel (who was suppose to get the most out of these wickets), you guys expected to get NZ all out at their place? Come on, be realistic? They did twice. Now tell me was that above your expectation or not?

If any of the answer is "no" then you fall in the category of expecting too high. Bring it down a notch.

Kalpurush bhai,
Thank you for your timely reminder. (we won three WC matches by the way)
I dont think fans were expecting very high. One win in the ODI and I wouldn't complain a thing. We had a very good chance to win first ODI btw. However, the fact of the matter is that they got destroyed by NZ club teams, and pretty much destroyed in ODIs too. Tamim and Zunaed stand was indeed unthinkable but it was pretty much cancelled by the 93/10 fallout. We didn't have Rasel in the same fashion NZ didn't have Bond. Bond-Martin-Mills trio would have been too much for our batsman to handle. However, they made Obrien into pretty much Shane Bond. On the bright side we managed to bowl NZ out on both occasion. I mean we pretty much bowled NZ out to 360 on both occasion really, which is very good.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Yeah I think FANS expectation was too high (Including me). Cause even though we won some big matches we won them in a condition which was close to home condition(against India, WI, SA etc) or we have been to the condition longer than the other team(Australia in England) which we all try to forget. Remember we lost to IRLAND in a condition like NZ (HARD and Bouncy). so its easier to see that in a NZ like condition we will struggle.

I realize that the expectation that we had was realistic for a home series not an away series (4 day in test and one win in ODI). I am sure BD will bounce back in SA series (bounce back= fight).
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear Russell2k7,
All my life I have seen big nation teams getting destroyed by local club teams in almost all away tours. So that is no big issue. Those games are as meaningless as it can get. Those are there for the players and visiting teams getting to know the condition as you have mentioned. Do not read too much in to those losses.

Bond kom mar khai nai. In the warmup WC match go check his stats. Replacing Bond even with someone else would have similar affect on BD team because of the condition.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Kalpurush bhai,
Thank you for your timely reminder. (we won three WC matches by the way, two big ones )
ditto.
and, yes, i meant the win against India and SA, i have edited my post as well. Much thanks, Mijan Bhai.
Old January 15, 2008, 12:36 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I am very sorry Obayed bhai,
ei ekta bishoye apnar shathe ek mot hote parlam na...

I, for one, didnt expect too much from this series. Yes, may be one odi win and a good battle on the other two before going down. But thats about it. I wasnt up any miracle.

In test, some improvement.
May be playing 5 days in both tests, not 6(3.5 + 2.5) days in two tests.

May be atleast one century from someone. (tamim and junaed went close to that achievement).
May be a fifer from one of the bowlers. ( Mashree got 4 in the first innings of the first test).
May be not another innings defeat.
May be not another innings defeat of over 100 runs.
May be something to cheer about.

I didnt expect the team to win the test matches, all i wanted is some respectful performance.

...and yes we are capable of beating any team in odi. We have shown the world we can do that and nz was no exception.

Hec we loose so often, and so badly that it doesnt even ring any bells.
It doenst break any hearts.
It doesnt ruin any sleep.

But it does hurt the pride, it does break the hearts when we get beaten within 7 overs!!

Thats where i guess lies the difference between fan's expectation and reality.

Our expectations are forceably getting so low everyday that soon there would be nothing to be hopeful about. This type of performances was ok back in 2001-2004, not in 2008.

To qoute Sohel bhai, "magar tui fifty kyemne korli ?" has become the million dollar question.

7 years,50 test matches and 100+ odies after, if we cant afford to dream a little big, i dont know when we can.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dear Russell2k7,
All my life I have seen big nation teams getting destroyed by local club teams in almost all away tours. So that is no big issue. Those games are as meaningless as it can get. Those are there for the players and visiting teams getting to know the condition as you have mentioned. Do not read too much in to those losses.

Bond kom mar khai nai. In the warmup WC match go check his stats. Replacing Bond even with someone else would have similar affect on BD team because of the condition.
Ok, nvm the club games. The warmup WC game was also a practice match. In real ODI Bond took 2 wickets giving away just 15 runs in 10 overs.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

'Self-confidence' is a very crucial and delicate word. Its actually a very fine line between lack of it and too much extra of the same thing. No matter how easily we talk about the concept of 'knowing own limitations and strengths'.. that is probably the toughest thing on earth to achieve.

I'm afraid, at this very point of BD team's progress... both the fans and the players are in the same sort of emotional turmoil. Both these group know ‘It is possible’... so they stare in utter disbelief when they see the whole team collapse like a sand-wall.

Are we complete worthless?
Or are we hidden tigers?

The truth is probably none. It is probably somewhere in between these two extremes. Being almost a juvenile Test-playing nation, we fans/players do find it hard to find the grey areas between these two extremes. We find it quite ‘non-entertaining’ to read between these two lines. Either we fly high in dreamland or we dive down and hit the emotional rock-bottom.

We float in the dream-land too fast... because Cricket is one of our biggest national prides. Then again... we bang our heads on the wall too early also... interestingly enough, for the very same reason! The wave of these to very opposite emotions tear us in two halves –a pain that is beyond any wordly-expressions.

Maybe the problem starts there: We’ve made it a symbol of our national-pride and identity-issue.

The truth is: At the end of the day... it is only a sport. Not a matter of our existence or identity.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

The above posts are very thoughtful and practical. Rasel was a key bowler and he was not around, one big setback for BD.
A plus was Mash, he tried his best, also Shahadat bowled his heart out. Sakib in the second test was a good pick for BD. Without him, BD would not have passed the 100 mark, so BD did not score below 100 like what happened in SL.They bowled out NZ for less than 400 runs in both innings, did not allow any batsman to score a centuy. In SL, they lost all 3 tests by an innings and ? runs. In NZ, they lost the first one by wickets, and in the second, well it went downhill.
In SL. Sangakkara scored double centuries and about 5 other batsmen including Vaas scored centuries, at least they did not have to toil that hard here.
In SL, their ODIs were better, even though they batted, fielded poorly, their bowling was good, because they managed to bowl out SL.

Their batting and fielding let them down badly. Anyhow, this is all water under the bridge. They have to pick themselves up, try to forget this bad tour and work hard for the next one. They have Jamie with them and he has a lot of faith in them, and he will boost their morale.I have confidence in him.

Fans, please, let us keep hope alive, I am not Bangladeshi, but I love this team and i still have faith and hope that they will improve and play better cricket Inshallah.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Do fans need to lower their expectation or do they need to control their unrealistic/unconstructive outburst?
There are different groups of fans and their respective expectations. But there is one thing commond in all of them and that is to see Bangladesh play a level of cricket which tell us that they are putting in an honest effort and they are learning day by day or game by game.

How long does one take to learn that if you put your hand on fire you will get burned? 4-times, 10-times or 25-times? I believe a child learns it after just few instances. Our batsmen showed a net zero progress in changing their attitude towards batting. Some game they do well and most others they go back to the old habbit; net is zero. I expect them to learn and understand the concept of putting a price on ones wicket. So far they haven't show any yet; more damaging is that the leader (captain) is among the worst. He is the one with the highest skills with bat and with the least brain power to realize that skill with inappropriate application is nothing short of stupidity. By no means I am implying we need change our captain. He is the most eligible for the job right now and since he is the one who has the capability to show the way to others I hold him most accountable.
Old January 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
Cricket Guru

DOTBALL very good post
Old January 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i never expected bd to win odi series. all i wanted to see some competitive cricket. they won the t20 and was in a good position first 25 overs of 1st odi.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I am very sorry Obayed bhai,
ei ekta bishoye apnar shathe ek mot hote parlam na...

I, for one, didnt expect too much from this series. Yes, may be one odi win and a good battle on the other two before going down. But thats about it. I wasnt up any miracle.

In test, some improvement.
May be playing 5 days in both tests, not 6(3.5 + 2.5) days in two tests.

May be atleast one century from someone. (tamim and junaed went close to that achievement).
May be a fifer from one of the bowlers. ( Mashree got 4 in the first innings of the first test).
May be not another innings defeat.
May be not another innings defeat of over 100 runs.
May be something to cheer about.

I didnt expect the team to win the test matches, all i wanted is some respectful performance.

...and yes we are capable of beating any team in odi. We have shown the world we can do that and nz was no exception.

Hec we loose so often, and so badly that it doesnt even ring any bells.
It doenst break any hearts.
It doesnt ruin any sleep.

But it does hurt the pride, it does break the hearts when we get beaten within 7 overs!!

Thats where i guess lies the difference between fan's expectation and reality.

Our expectations are forceably getting so low everyday that soon there would be nothing to be hopeful about. This type of performances was ok back in 2001-2004, not in 2008.

To qoute Sohel bhai, "magar tui fifty kyemne korli ?" has become the million dollar question.

7 years,50 test matches and 100+ odies after, if we cant afford to dream a little big, i dont know when we can.
Sydney...I know how you feel. Realy I do. But, pls. don't burn yourself too much.
As Ahmed Bhai said:
"At the end of the day... it is only a sport. Not a matter of our existence or identity."
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/

Last edited by kalpurush; January 16, 2008 at 02:55 PM..
Old January 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Sydney...I know how you feel. Realy I do. But, pls. don't burn yourself too much.
As Bashir Bhai said:
"At the end of the day... it is only a sport. Not a matter of our existence or identity."
Dont worry bhai, im not burning myself..dont hv that much time ....
....but thanks for the concern though....

on a brighter side..i couldnt spend that much time on this series as i would otherwise. my work kept me busy....

looking forward to the next series.... wouldnt miss a chance to go to stadium to watch BD plays... havent seen a BD game for a long time now...
Old January 16, 2008, 12:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
on a brighter side..i couldnt spend that much time on this series as i would otherwise. my work kept me busy....
I hear you bro...
Specially during the test matches.. BD had to bat at the beginning of almost every day and most of that was over before people of Dhaka could get up frm bed on winter morning..

Was some sort of a relief I must admit.. not having to watch them bat!
Old January 16, 2008, 12:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
I hear you bro...
Specially during the test matches.. BD had to bat at the beginning of almost every day and most of that was over before people of Dhaka could get up frm bed on winter morning..
Winter Morning? It felt like Early Summer Morning to me.
Old January 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Winter Morning? It felt like Early Summer Morning to me.
Mamu is back. Welcome back Mamu
Old January 16, 2008, 01:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
I hear you bro...

Was some sort of a relief I must admit.. not having to watch them bat!
yah..you are right...
match started 4 in the morning and the day was over at 11.
still woke up couple times that early in the morning....
funny....one day i woke up..still in the bed.....opened one eye and the first thing i see is Ashraful out!

i didnt waste any time to turn the tele off and close my eyes to sleep again..

.....the rest ...as they say.... is history.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Now i know why bd lost because you lazy *** where sleeping... and ash thought damm rabz and others r not watching why even play and got out...