facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 21, 2007, 02:25 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bashar likely to retain Captaincy and One Day place

From BDNews
Quote:
Habibul Bashar is likely to retain captaincy his and his one-day place for ensuing home series against India in May. It is learnt from Barbados that the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) was going to retain Bashar considering his one-day records and contribution in Bangladesh cricket. The board also thought that the most successful captain in Bangladesh history should retire from one-day version of the game through a prior official announcement.
Good sense from BCB. Now Bashar should announce his retirement after the series and a series win would be a great farewell for him and Dav Whatmore.

Last edited by Miraz; April 21, 2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old April 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Yeah. Series win would be a great farewell to both of them.
Old April 21, 2007, 02:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

he should stay as a Test Captain, but not as ODI, BCB should use ODI as training ground for the next captain.
Old April 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

kind of saw this coming, but this is a temporary solution. Hopefully the board comes up with a new captain after the India series (SL series is next?).....
Old April 21, 2007, 02:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Since Miraz somehow failed to quote the whole report, here it is-

Quote:
Habibul Bashar is likely to retain captaincy his and his one-day place for ensuing home series against India in May. It is learnt from Barbados that the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) was going to retain Bashar considering his one-day records and contribution in Bangladesh cricket. The board also thought that the most successful captain in Bangladesh's history should retire from one-day version of the game through a prior official announcement.
No if and buts, this must be Bashar's farewell ODI series (I wish the board showed enough guts to make this his farewell tour from international stage all together).

Last edited by TheWatcher; April 21, 2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old April 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

fare enough, lets hope he goes with a flare
Old April 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
No if and buts, this must be Bashar's farewell ODI series (I wish the board showed enough guts to make this his farewell tour from international stage all together).
That's pretty harsh.

he is the only world standard test batsman in our side. Let's see how he performs in the test series and then decide.

For ODI, I think he will retire after the series and with a prior announcement.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

No problemo. I can only hope home advantage and our slow, low pitches will help him get some runs on the board. If he's going to retire from one-day cricket I want him to retire on a high.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
That's pretty harsh.
That's reality - Bashar lost his touch with bat since he got injured in Zimbabwe, he is no more good for international cricket of any sort.

I know most of you will say Bashar was always a failure in ODI while stayed a good option for Test matches. On contrary, I think Bashar finally figured out how to bat in ODI, he showed good performances in the period from NatWest series to home series against Australia. Unfortunately, that was his last flare.

Just wait and see how he does in the upcoming series.

Last edited by TheWatcher; April 21, 2007 at 03:17 PM..
Old April 21, 2007, 03:13 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Just wait and see how he does in the upcoming series.
I hope you will do the same before ruling him out of the test cricket.

He performed quite well in the last test series BD played. And we should know by now, how different he is in test cricket compared to ODI.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Ash, Sakib, Mash

...hope bd wins all the games wit india...dat would b a gr8 farewell ti bashar nd dav
Old April 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

i think he is a joker bcoz bashar is the only good test batsman of bangladesh team!!! his average is also awsome!!!
Old April 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Bashar looked hopelessly out of his depth during the World Cup. I hope he can salvage some pride in the India series. It would be good if he can go out on a high.

I'm still not sure who is capable of filling his shoes as captain of the ODI team. Hopefully someone will show some maturity in the India series.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Definetly, India series should be Bashar's last ODI series and Bashar shld know we r giving more respect than he shld get. Its Bangladesh that gives players some extra respect. Hardly other country wld still want to keep a player performing bad n bid him fairwell in a gud way. Chacha;s example we can see hw much we respect our players.

Bashr should only concentrate in tes n be captain for as long as he can be after India's ODI series.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I hope you will do the same before ruling him out of the test cricket.

He performed quite well in the last test series BD played. And we should know by now, how different he is in test cricket compared to ODI.
Actually there are some playrs.we r very gud in test but jst not dat gr8 in odi.

Apart from Bashar we can consider Michel Vaughan too.

in test both are great batsman but in odi non has a century n both averages in 20's.

i think luck matters sometime.

if we look at hablu in test. he is a class n we all know wht the commentators call him in test. habitual bashar but it odi he is so diff.
Old April 21, 2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner
Definetly, India series should be Bashar's last ODI series and Bashar shld know we r giving more respect than he shld get. Its Bangladesh that gives players some extra respect. Hardly other country wld still want to keep a player performing bad n bid him fairwell in a gud way. Chacha;s example we can see hw much we respect our players.

Bashr should only concentrate in tes n be captain for as long as he can be after India's ODI series.
bashar is the most successfull bd captain.so he fully deserve that respect ok????????

Last edited by naz_kuwait; April 21, 2007 at 04:06 PM..
Old April 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz_kuwait
bashar is the most successfull bd captain.so he fully deserve that respect ok????????
I suppose there is some merit to that argument. Bashar has lead this team well previous to the WC and he has been big part of leading the most succesful team in our history. But it is clear to me and most of others that he clearly does not belong in the odi arena anymore based on his play with the bat on the field. Hopefully he'll get his moment in the sunshine in Bangladesh against the Indians.

By the way I used to live in Kuwait. I was born there actually and lived there for 11 years. Used to live in the Farwaniya area and I miss those days. Shawrma's are not as good here as it it there obviously. Hope to return there one day and visit the old neighborhood. Peace.
Old April 21, 2007, 05:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

It was inevitable for BCB. Could not find a replacement who can compose the nature of the team with so many seniority biases. So lack of hand eye coordination and reflex will still keep the glucose smile grinning with the hopes shattered. Lets see how he performs in the test matches.
Old April 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

tushar imran can be a good replacement.his performed well with bat as the captain of A team.but ultimately,i would say ash will become the next captain.i think more responsibility will make him stop playing crazy shots and become more reliable.
Old April 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Rahman wull become our next captain
Old April 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Next skip is doubtedly will be Shariar Nafees...he's a good bat and he's also a relative of the chief selector Farooq. I really hope Mortaza becomes the next skipper because let's face it he's the only consistent performer of the side so he deserves it and he is probably the person who will be least affected by this added responsibility of captaincy.
Old April 21, 2007, 07:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

i don't think he's getting the captaincy for the home series.. he will be in the squad though..

i think he will play the last match of the ODI series for his farewell..

Ashraful will be the captain.. and i think he will be a great one.. hes more aggressive.. and i think captaincy willl do better for his batting as he will be more carefull on his shot selections...
Old April 21, 2007, 07:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

good to see that bcb realise the value of a great bangladeshi player. i was shocked when i heard that they gonna sack him from odi & as a captain. i was shocked, all my mate was shocked, it wasn't fare to bashar, he has done a lot for bd cricket and bcb should show some respect to him. i am glad to know the news now.
Old April 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
Street Cricketer

Ashraful is way too young to be captain (even though he has a lot of experience). Mashrafe deserves to be captain. He has the experience and most of all he performs! We need a captain who leads from the front with his performance.
Ashraful has not matured yet. And Shahriar Nafees is still a bit new to the national team. He should continue to be the vice-captain of the team.
Old April 21, 2007, 08:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Thank GOD!!..i didnt wanted Ash as the captain..he really cant take any pressure.
Im sure SN will do good and prove to be bashar's successor after India series, Inshallah.