facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

If Ponty does apply, there is hope of him taking over as there is a new president im pretty sure he wouldn't let this chance go!

Old October 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Ian, go for it man. Dooo it!! We are with you. Contact BCB and push them hard to give you gig or apply the very first thing once they open up the application process. Get after it man. You can be a great coach for us. I can feeellll it! Let's goo. IAN PONT FOR HEAD COACH!! WE WANT YOU IAN! Oh one more thing, please sign the contract first and foremost if they hire you
Old October 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickbang
Ian, go for it man. Dooo it!! We are with you. Contact BCB and push them hard to give you gig or apply the very first thing once they open up the application process. Get after it man. You can be a great coach for us. I can feeellll it! Let's goo. IAN PONT FOR HEAD COACH!! WE WANT YOU IAN! Oh one more thing, please sign the contract first and foremost if they hire you
Old October 29, 2012, 03:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Coach, with two coaching stints in the country you now realize the ugly truth: we, as a nation/peoples, are disgraceful. We have no dignity. All politicians are liars, and in Bangladesh everyone is a politician. Subcontinent in general is a cesspool of corrupt and uncivilized people, Bangladesh epitomizes that.
This statement itself shows how low and how cheap we think about ourselves.

Just for few corrupted politicians (who unfortunately run our country) you can't just make a general statement like that. When you talk about a nation/people, you better learn the history first and then make a statement.

Very offensive/insulting post, to say the least. Sorry.

Last edited by Naimul_Hd; October 29, 2012 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old October 29, 2012, 03:33 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

^^ Ditto bro, couldn't agree more!
Old October 29, 2012, 03:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Does something seem funny to you?
Old October 29, 2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd

Just for few corrupted politicians (who unfortunately run our country) you can't just make a general statement like that. When you talk about a nation/people, you better learn the history first and than make a statement.

No wonder that post was liked by some!
Old October 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I think if you accept the job in BD you accept it knowing you have to live in BD - and your family either join you (Jamie) and you make a life, or they don't (Stuart Law, Richard Pybus) and you just get on with it. You cannot accept a role and THEN use family reasons as an excuse.

Whether you agree or not with his reasons, Lance Kluesener refused the bowling role due to family. Mick Newell withdrew for the same reasons as potential Head Coach. Honest and respected decisions.

We have seen Craig McDermott (Aus), Damien Wright (Aus in NZ) leaving key roles due to 'family' reasons or wanting to be back home. Allan Donald even did it to NZ and then Australia to take up SA role. McDermott was even stranger as this was his own country and he had been a player so knew what life was like.

It isn't just BD therefore that has these issues, but I suspect living in Dhaka is viewed as more of a challenge than living in Sydney or Auckland.

Simply put, the BCB will always have to offer higher salaries than some other countries to even get coaches to want to apply.

I enjoyed Dhaka personally (traffic aside) and felt it is possible to build a life there as a foreigner.

You have to assess whether the estimated money spent since Dav Whatmore in 2007 world cup on certain Coaches has been well spent and taken BD cricket forward. The harsh reality of Test rankings points and ODI rankings points might tell the truth.

The answer is to either appoint someone passionate about developing BD as a nation, and build a coaching staff of like-minded support staff like RM, or to appoint a BD coach and give them a chance. At least a local coach cannot use the excuse of being homesick, unable to convince his family or not understanding the politics of a government run board wanting to interfere in the team.
I am talking about making a difference in BD despite all coach issues, not a lot of issues you replied. And if one cannot, the coach should leave, respecting his profession. I am saying, of course its hard for u coaches in BD to implement improvement from your experience having to deal with coach issues and problems/corruption we have, but coaches had made changes here, the names I mentioned.

If a coach cant make changes due to whatever complication/Coach issues they have in BD and with BCB, isnt it a better idea to leave BD and find a better job somewhere else where you can put your improvement strategies straight, for a team? If I were a dignified coach and have respect for my experience, i would go anywhere else in the world and stay where i have the authority I should have and see my ideas working - I dont have to complain about less facilities/complication and still cash in whatever hefty salary BCB or any franchise offer.

For example, as a fan of Bangladesh cricket, I myself dont see if you (yourself) were able to implement any changes in the national side as a bowling coach, whether it was all complications/coach issues you faced with BCB or not. I dont know if you quit or were released, but since you are staying in BD and is working there with Dhaka Gladiator, I hope you are staying because you think you can make some changes on a small scale at least, with Dhaka gladiators, despite all problems in BD or with BCB or franchisees.
------
And based on what you replied, Yes ofcourse, family reasons or the challenge of living in BD must not be an excuse for leaving a role. Richard Pybus actually mentioned many more reasons with cricinfo on why he chose to end the position.

I actually respect his decision to leave, beside the one excuse of family. He chose to leave because his position was undermined and he didnt have the authority as a national coach he should have. Thats a solid decision to leave, he didnt stay for salary.

And the last 5 paragraphs you mentioned, yea, well said and we are also well aware that we must appoint like minded people who have passion for BD cricket and can work despite coach issues and can make some changes. And thats not something alien to us, we have seen such coaches. Yes we are ranked at the bottom, and we know why so, we got problems. But like u hinted and If I may add -

BD is for coaches who see the potential and passion for cricket in this country, and stay despite all problems/coach issues they have to face with BCB/living in BD and make little changes that they can, dignifying the salary they are getting in the process. Its not an alien concept but proven by few.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

Just for few corrupted politicians (who unfortunately run our country) you can't just make a general statement like that. When you talk about a nation/people, you better learn the history first and then make a statement.

Truth hurts, look at BD's corruption level (ranked among the worst countries), per capita income, poverty, healthcare etc.... All we are good at is getting offended and complaining about unfairness.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Truth hurts, look at BD's corruption level (ranked among the worst countries), per capita income, poverty, healthcare etc.... All we are good at is getting offended and complaining about unfairness.
Tell me a country where there is no corruption at all !! And how come per capita income, poverty and poor healthcare make us 'disgraceful' nation ?

Its same as calling all muslims 'terrorist' just because of few bad apples in the society. If you feel ashamed to be called yourself as 'bangladeshi' just because we are poor and third world country then i have nothing but to feel sorry for you.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Tell me a country where there is no corruption at all !!
Why we have to justify ourselves better by making others corrupt?

Quote:
And how come per capita income, poverty and poor healthcare make us 'disgraceful' nation ?
Isn't there a relationship there?

I thought poverty is one of the main reasons why people transform themselves into a "monstar", no?
Old October 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Tell me a country where there is no corruption at all !! And how come per capita income, poverty and poor healthcare make us 'disgraceful' nation ?

Its same as calling all muslims 'terrorist' just because of few bad apples in the society. If you feel ashamed to be called yourself as 'bangladeshi' just because we are poor and third world country then i have nothing but to feel sorry for you.
If a country has 0.1 percent people as corrupt and another one as 5 percent you would say both are equal? There are no countries with non existent corruption but the fact is Bangladesh is among the worst, there is a massive difference. Maybe you need better comprehension skills. A few bad apples in the society would be Turkey, not Bangladesh where corruption is the norm not an exception.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

[quote=kalpurush;1595758]Why we have to justify ourselves better by making others corrupt?

Isn't there a relationship there?

I thought poverty is one of the main reasons why people transform themselves into a "monstar", no?[
/quote]

There is a direct and very strong link between poverty and crime/ corruption so yes.
Old October 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

"we, as a nation/peoples, are disgraceful. We have no dignity."

This is harsh in any sense.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cricket Sage

It should have been BCB as a board/organization is a disgrace to our nation. Last I checked 20+ board administrator's and Loitta doesn't make up all of Bangladesh.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

The thread has become substantially de-railed but it is interesting to see which members make their presumptions and assumptions about Bangladesh from online news clippings and decontexualized, often faulty WB, IMF, etc statistics.

Really, if you think TI's corruption index really reflects the extent of corruption in all of society rather than just a particular segment, then I'm left speechless.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
Test Cricketer

To the outside world, BD is a corrupt country and that's a fact, but there are lots of good people in BD.
Back in 1983, I was in the french embassy in Belgium for visa to France. I was told that no visa for anyone who carries a BD passport.
Moral of the story, a few bad apples can ruin the bunch.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

There is a trend I notice. Some people like to present the country the worst possible way they can to others. By doing that they try to prove that they have the courage to admit it, so they are better and different from the pack. It's kind of like our opposition parties- they scream their lungs out to let the outside world know how bad the county is doing when they are not in power.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo

The thread has become substantially de-railed but it is interesting to see which members make their presumptions and assumptions about Bangladesh from online news clippings and decontexualized, often faulty WB, IMF, etc statistics.

Really, if you think TI's corruption index really reflects the extent of corruption in all of society rather than just a particular segment, then I'm left speechless.
Have you ever lived in Bangladesh? Do you know everytime you want to get something done with the police you have to give bribe? To get admitted in public hospital you have to bribe or you might not get a bed, in university/ college you have to bribe. If you get caught cheating in exam you can give bribe and get away, if you commit a crime then it's very easy to get away if you can pay the price. Ever tried to fight the system? Well then you risk physical harm as well as getting in trouble with the authorities. Freedom of speech? Say what you want as long as you don't offend the rich/ powerful or go against the majority, otherwise consequences will be terrible.Try living in one of the more rural areas and you will see things even more shocking.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
BC Editorial Team

Stick to the thread topic people! - Mod
Old November 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cricket Sage

This thread is pretty much liveless. Looks like nothing more to discuss about 'coach issues".

Can we please change the thread title to someting like "our corruption issues" and continue to discuss how corrupted we are compared to the rest of the world.... and ofcourse after thainkg proper clearance to move forward from the MOD.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
This thread is pretty much liveless. Looks like nothing more to discuss about 'coach issues".

Can we please change the thread title to someting like "our corruption issues" and continue to discuss how corrupted we are compared to the rest of the world.... and ofcourse after thainkg proper clearance to move forward from the MOD.
Before we do the Akika of the thread,, are there any discussions going on about hiring a new coach? Or that curcial issue just fell through the crack with the elections, WI tour etc. ?
Old November 6, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Before we do the Akika of the thread,, are there any discussions going on about hiring a new coach? Or that curcial issue just fell through the crack with the elections, WI tour etc. ?
yep surprised we haven't heard anything about the coach hunt.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:03 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I enjoyed Dhaka personally (traffic aside) and felt it is possible to build a life there as a foreigner.
I was in Dhaka in the summer for 3 months and this was preciously my sentiment. (And, I grew up in Bangladesh.) Thank you, Ian. Dhaka was a beautiful city, but we need a time machine to go back at least 15 years to show you that city.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:07 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I hope Ian begins his national head coaching career with us and wins his first Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
I am keeping my fingers crossed for Ian and Fountain. We need someone like them who truly care and also highly qualified to provide hands on training...