facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 8, 2012, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes
Default Shakib's 'laziness': Should we be worried?

We all love Shakib. He is the pride and soul of the Bangladesh Cricket Team. His stats are fantastic and he is the rock of the team. He gets the job done. We also cannot forget he is also the worlds best allrounder.

But one thing that is a bit concerning is his laziness in training. Ian Pont mentioned it. Shakib mentioned it himself. Stuart Law mentioned it.

Shakib is what the youngsters in the Bangladesh Cricket Team (e.g. Anamul, Nasir etc.) look up to. So if the youngsters see Shakib being lazy in training then wouldnt it make them feel that hard work isnt required to be in the top level?

We need youngsters to work hard so they can be developed and learn to be the best they can possibly be. So is Shakibs 'laziness' affecting the team?

Old May 8, 2012, 01:27 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

You did not just open this thread....

Merge with OT please. This is one positive of having an OT.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Well i had to. I just felt like a discussion is needed for this topic. We want to hear peoples views on this.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Shakib is the pride and soul of the Bangladesh Cricket Team. His stats are fantastic and he is the rock of the team. He gets the job done. We also cannot forget he is also the worlds best allrounder.

But one thing that is a bit concerning is his laziness in training. Ian Pont mentioned it. Shakib mentioned it himself. Stuart Law mentioned it.

Shakib is what the youngsters in the Bangladesh Cricket Team (e.g. Anamul, Nasir etc.)look up to. So if the youngsters see Shakib being lazy in training then wouldnt it make them feel that hard work isnt required to be in the top level?

We need youngsters to work hard so they can be developed and learn to be the best they can possibly be. So is Shakibs 'laziness' affecting this?
from a role model point of view as to what we want the younger generations to do as cricketers and be professional i can see your concern. i mean lately everyone has been saying that the best player BD has so far produced is lazy in training, we definitely don't want younger players to think it's fine to slack off when it comes to training and fitness and for them to think it's not required.

but i reckon, despite people saying he's lazy and even himself, i reckon he still trains really really hard and still puts in a good amount of hours. he still has to pass fitness tests and still needs to keep up and improve his skills and those things only happen if you train and since he is always improving then obviously he is putting in a good amount of work despite the latest being that he's lazy.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:41 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I already put my input in this putting. http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...0&postcount=32
Old May 8, 2012, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
from a role model point of view as to what we want the younger generations to do as cricketers and be professional i can see your concern. i mean lately everyone has been saying that the best player BD has so far produced is lazy in training, we definitely don't want younger players to think it's fine to slack off when it comes to training and fitness and for them to think it's not required.

but i reckon, despite people saying he's lazy and even himself, i reckon he still trains really really hard and still puts in a good amount of hours. he still has to pass fitness tests and still needs to keep up and improve his skills and those things only happen if you train and since he is always improving then obviously he is putting in a good amount of work despite the latest being that he's lazy.
Exactly

But one thing is yes he might be keeping up with match fitness but there is probably a 'criteria' that the team has to reach in training and Shakibs not reaching it. Shakib is talented but i dont want him to send the wrong message to youngsters.

But since Pont and Law mentioned about it i think its an issue that Shakibs needs to fix.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

Shakib is a role model, but it doesnt mean the youngstars will have to follow his total lifestyle.. If you want to be a super star like shakib you have to unique..Off course Shakib worked hard from his under 15 stage to reach this higher level and he never mentioned that he followed anybody during the whole journey..I know few names, S nafees, Imrul, Mushi these are the guys who always work really hard in nets but they cannot be Shakib..So if a youngstars wanna be a superstars they should know their strengths and work hard on their weekness. Shakib already set the path for them.. But it doesnt mean he has to always train hard in nets to show them.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:04 AM
MLC World Series I

If you don't give your everything in training, you will never give it all during the real test.

Quote:
I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
–Muhammad Ali
Old May 8, 2012, 02:12 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

No we shouldn't be worried.
He might be lazy, but still holds the No 1 ranking in the world.

This things are different to individuals.
Some trains really hard yet can't deliver to their potential, and there are some really talented individual who does just the bare minimum but still produces amazing results.
I'm sure Shakib knows how much he needs to do to perform at his best level.

Also sometimes, this things depends on how much he is being challenged in the team.
He IS Shakib Al Hasan, so his worth with the Bangladesh team is beyond any doubt.
The moment he realises that he is not competing with rest of the team mates, but with the rest of the best this world has to offer, it will bring a new challenge for which he will need to pick up the paces and Inshallah he will.

Your input will only reflect your desired level of output.
Now that the bar has been raised ( and hopefully he realises that), his input will also change.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 8, 2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
That was my thought too.
I don't care as long as he performs. Its the other ones who we should be worried about.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:55 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

There are two issues here: whether a player trains as hard as he can, and whether a player has to be told to train.

I am sure the fans simply don't care as long as a player performs. After all, this is all that matters right?

If a young player sees a senior player doing very little, they might think it's OK for them to also do very little. This is a role model situation and it depends on the gullible nature of the young player to be influenced negatively. What will then happen is the coach will have to TELL that player to train and this leads to problems.

If a coach is telling international cricketers they must train, then there is an issue. Grant (trainer) can tell you many, many stories about certain players not training or simply turning up and not doing what they should.

The problem for Shakib is that every coach knows of his lack of desire to train. It's a problem because others like Gambir, Narine, Lee, Ten Doeschate, Kallis etc at KKR, work hard in the gym and on the training field. These players will do more over and above what they have been asked to do. They push themselves extremely hard. It can work against a player if he isn't seen as a team player.

At Worcestershire, Shakib didn't want to train compared to the others. Essex, who are discussing the possibility of signing Shakib, already knows this.

So Shakib has a reputation of not training. My point is, just how good could he be, how much more would he play, how much more would he be revered outside of Bangladesh, if he simply trained like an international athlete? The knock on effect to the BD team would be immense as people copied what he did and Grant's life would be far easier as trainer.

If you have to be told to practice and train then you are in the wrong mindset as a player. It doesn't make you a bad player. It simply means you will not fulfil your fullest potential. Being number one at a certain time is no excuse.

Shakib is talented there is no doubt. What he doesn't realise perhaps he has a far more important role to play as a role model. The BD structure isn't strong enough to tell players they MUST do this or that. A player can go running to the board to complain if they don't like what a coach is doing.

I spent time at the BPL chatting to Anamul. He is extremely talented. But I wanted to discuss his mindset and I said not to look at other senior players in the BD team and think that's what you must be like. I told him to train hard, work hard, be the best he can be and he will get recognition all over the world. I told him not to chase the dollars, as the dollars will chase him. I wouldn't want Anamul to go down the wrong path with his training and practice.

So overall, you guys shouldn't be worried about Shakib's laziness, after all he doesn't. And he is a wonderful cricketer. However, if you want the cricket to get out of where it is right now, there are long term reasons above why you should keep an eye on things.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

@ Ian : Are you saying he never practices or he should do more ?
Old May 8, 2012, 04:01 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
@ Ian : Are you saying he never practices or he should do more ?
I am saying he is allowed to get away with little training because he is such a fine player and a national hero. I just wouldn't want others to copy his 'training' model.

If you are trying to instil a training discipline of hard work, effort and going the extra mile in practice, then Shakib is not your leader. My point is you don't build an environment of excellence based on doing as little as you can get away with.

Does he care about Bangladesh? Yes most definitely. Is he a world class player? Absolutely. But he is those things IN SPITE of his training and not because of it.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I also heard that Tamim never bats in net before the game. How ridiculous ! Is he superstitious or a complete snob ?
Old May 8, 2012, 04:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

After all what Ian Pont said, that we should worried, I reckon him to be serious while training as he is the big fish of our team. He is the inspiration for the youngsters.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
There are two issues here: whether a player trains as hard as he can, and whether a player has to be told to train.

I am sure the fans simply don't care as long as a player performs. After all, this is all that matters right?

If a young player sees a senior player doing very little, they might think it's OK for them to also do very little. This is a role model situation and it depends on the gullible nature of the young player to be influenced negatively. What will then happen is the coach will have to TELL that player to train and this leads to problems.

The problem for Shakib is that every coach knows of his lack of desire to train.
So Shakib has a reputation of not training. My point is, just how good could he be, how much more would he play, how much more would he be revered outside of Bangladesh, if he simply trained like an international athlete? The knock on effect to the BD team would be immense as people copied what he did and Grant's life would be far easier as trainer.

If you have to be told to practice and train then you are in the wrong mindset as a player. It doesn't make you a bad player. It simply means you will not fulfil your fullest potential. Being number one at a certain time is no excuse.
I dont understand why people are saying 'why did you open this thread'. This is exactly why i opened this thread. Ok Shakib is a great player but how good would he be if he trained to his potential?

But thats not the thing im worried about. Shakib is sending the wrong message to youngsters. Whatever you put into training will be worth it on the field.

Why isnt everyone understanding this? I love Shakib. Dont get me wrong. Sorry Ian but i am worrying.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
I also heard that Tamim never bats in net before the game. How ridiculous ! Is he superstitious or a complete snob ?
I think maybe batting before the game is optional? What i feel personally is if you are not batting well before the match then your confidence level might be down when you get on to bat.

Thats what i think Tamim feels.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Seriously? This is what the topic's for? WOW!!

No....we shouldn't be worried....despite his resistance to train more...he still holds the No. 1 position..each to his own....this is how Shakib al Hasan is......
Old May 8, 2012, 05:34 AM
MLC World Series I

I bet such things wouldn't have been tolerated at the Australian camp, no matter how big you are.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf

No....we shouldn't be worried....despite his resistance to train more...he still holds the No. 1 position..each to his own....this is how Shakib al Hasan is......
Its not about he is currently number -1 and he dont have to practice, but how good he could be if he practice same as other leading athlete in the world (repeating what Ian Pont said)
Old May 8, 2012, 05:38 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:

We shouldn't be worried as long as he delivers and renews his hunger for greater challenges. If his desire remains stagnant, then that's it. He has to realize it, and I'm sure he does as he has spoken about it, to continually grow.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Its not about him! Its about the team as a whole and sending the right message and morales.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Then let him be...who knows maybe he does practice....I don't think we should be worrying this.....yes maybe he can do even better if he pushes himself....but maybe this is how he is....its upto him anyways...
Old May 8, 2012, 05:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
I bet such things wouldn't have been tolerated at the Australian camp, no matter how big you are.
The Australian camp would have the the 'working hard' morale in training. You dont have to find out. Its instilled into the players. No one is lazying about. They are all working hard. No slacking around. I would say the Australian coaches would even drop the player from the team if he isnt putting effort into training.

Bangladesh arent world class yet. They need to work hard to achieve. I dont see how 'slacking about' in training is going to help the cause.

It all comes down to the morale of training. If senior players arent training hard then youngsters are going to follow that moral. If the senior players of the Australian team are working hard then the youngsters in the Australian team are looking upto a good moral and belief. This will bring out the best out of the youngster.

Everyone just please try to understand. Its not just about the player itself. Its about the moral and message he is bringing across into training. We dont just want the best out of Shakib. We want the best out of the whole Bangladeshi team.

Old May 8, 2012, 05:50 AM
Cricket Legend

^^for that you have to tell this to Grant Luden-----the designated trainer for the Bangladesh Cricket Team