facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 21, 2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
some questions:
how do you operate your DTE business from abroad? i heard they still don't have things online. i'm very new to this and just learning.
I just opened a new FC account in standard chartered bank in Dhaka.Yet to open BO account but soon i'll.

any tips how to operate from abroad? i would appreciate a tutorial as i failed to search step by step tutorial online.

thanks guys and suddenly i'm back again in BC forum. Still avoiding "bangladesh cricket" thread.
I have received flyers from some brokerages that advertise online trading through their portal. But they arent any established brokerage houses, and seem dodgy. In time I think more brokerages will open up this system.

Old January 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Rabz: I have around 150 AB Bank shares too. here's my plan. I'm pretty sure that AB is going to 100% dividends this time around, plus their profits were the second highest amongst banks here so I'm pretty optimistic. My advice: keep the shares. prices are bound to start picking up by the end of February. You will then have a choice: sell them at either a premium or to break even (I don't know how much you bought them for) or keep them to get the dividends. Me, I bought them for an average of Tk 800 so I'm gonna go for the dividends. Plus most of my strategy is long term focussed anyways.

I'm curious: what is your portfolio like?
Old January 22, 2009, 01:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

For those who are doing this in DSE, how do you show profit in yearly tax papers? These income must be reported right?

The profit after selling, plus the dividends are Taxable. What is the percentage of Tax people pay nowadays? 20%-30% of total reported income? Now think is it worth this much of headache to get a return (possible return) which gets taxed and at the end profits gets shrinked.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Does anyone have any information regarding Uttara bank? Should I continue buying their shares?
Old February 4, 2009, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
So, I'm stuck with my AB Banks shares.
What do i do with it?
Retain them till the half year end, or should i start to count my losses and look otherwise?
Heard that banks share may increase at the end of March.......
depends on which rate u had ur AB banks share.....its 675 last day....as per the rumor if its increases after march...surely will cross 1000 then.....
Old February 4, 2009, 02:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samircreep
Does anyone have any information regarding Uttara bank? Should I continue buying their shares?
From my sources....I have heard that Banks share not gonna increase in near future....so many of them not interested in bank shares.

My opinion is....as all the bank shares are a bit low now.....and definitely gonna increase in some time.....so if you are thinking on long term investment.....you can buy that.......but again...u know our share market.....how unpredictable it is.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Does anyone has any opinion/news on AIMS?

Any shares that might be profitable on short term investment?

I don't have AB Bank.....but seeing the low price of it.....I am very much tempted to buy some.......can't decide though!!
Old February 4, 2009, 03:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

yaser, if you really want to get some mutual fund, I'd suggest you wait till GRAMEEN3 comes out in March. That's going to be a hotcake item. Aims isnt bad, but its really the slow and steady rate, might as well invest in an FDR.

AB Bank shares are incredibly cheap now, I'd suggest people should grab them. For sure, this is dividends season, so prices are definitely going to go up really soon.

You're right though, DSE isn't about day trading anymore, it's all about the long term right now. Get some shares on the cheap, sit on them and eat dividends.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

HOw much dividend do you get per share? I assume you would have to put in a lot of money to make a dividend return that matters..I think Bank stocks are the worst investment anyone can make at this time. Things need to clear out before jumping into banks. Even if there is no further downturn, the finance sector will take some time to recover - so your money would be stand still when you can maybe invest in some better sector with more short term promise.
That just my opinion - but then again I lost 8 grand in 2 months - more than the index in percentage wise. But I will blame that on lack of my time and bad luck...Market seems to swing a lot (my bread and butter) when I am extremely occupied with studies whereas it just stays flat when I have break.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Banks really haven't been hit hard in BD, but I'm speaking relatively of course. AB Bank made a net profit of 150 crore Taka last year, it's second highest ever. Plus there's a whole new bunch of banks like Prime, EBL and Brac that are doing well indeed.

But more importantly, shares are really under priced right now. AB is selling Tk670 a pop, that's extremely low for a share that was selling at Tk3500 just a year ago. AB will give 100% dividends this year, so even if prices drop after dividends are paid, you're not going to lose at all. It's a win win situation.

But you're right, there are some other sectors like pharma and insurance that might do better, but i'm viewing my bank shares as a long term prospective. I'm pretty sure i'll double my money in 2-3 years.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend

If the banks made overall profit, then it's not a bad investment because they were probably dragged down due to loss in US banks. Major banks here lost billions of dollars each quarter for last 8 quarters....with thousands of bad loans still out there... so more losses to come. There is no way they will be able to recover that in couple of years. Many people may look at chart and say hey this bank (that I use) was $60 dollars a year ago, now it's $3.. maybe it will go back up to that level...never.

but yeah if a profit making bank (profit up quarter to quarter) is dragged down 1/5th of its value by sector.. then it can be a promising investment given there are no more hiccups internationally.

100% dividend, how much is that per share? Just to get an idea.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:26 PM
Cricket Savant

yawn....is this wat you guys do for fun? sheesh....

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
yawn....is this wat you guys do for fun? sheesh....
It's more addicting than your tandoori chicken after a joint.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:36 PM
Cricket Savant

it's the other way around....i am on diet.

Old February 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think you have too many bank shares in your portfolio. Ab Banks, Uttara and you are now naming some more.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

orpheus, check out ab's page at the dse

http://www.dsebd.org/displayCompany.php?name=ABBANK

as i said, don't confuse us banks with deshi ones. big difference. decoupling actually works here a bit
Old February 4, 2009, 03:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
orpheus, check out ab's page at the dse

http://www.dsebd.org/displayCompany.php?name=ABBANK

as i said, don't confuse us banks with deshi ones. big difference. decoupling actually works here a bit
man dse website is so crap....it has less than bare minimum info on the company. Anyways, "divided yield" is the percentage of money you are getting from your investment after a year. For 2000 and 2001, it was 7% and 8% respectively (other years not provided), which isn't bad at all. I would actually consider investing there just for dividend if that is the case every year.

What I don't understand is the "% dividend". I am guessing it the percentage of total profit that are given out to shareholders. BUt then in 2007, it had 200% - which doesn't make sense.

So if AB bank is givin 100% dividend, I am gussing they are handing out all the profit of last year which is as you mentioned 150 crore.

150crore(1500,000,000) /22297854 (total number of shares) = 22.4 takas per share.

Which comes out to be 22.4/700(approximate share ab share price) = 3.2% of dividend yield a year - which isn't really that attractive.

Or is my calculation wrong? Well it is right if %dividend is what I understand it is to be.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Latest share prices dropped for Tulipdairy in case someone's interested....

Old February 7, 2009, 10:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

The finance minister just visited the DSE offices yesterday and made sveral promises about the market. Expect a week long bull run at least.

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.in.../08/58315.html
Old February 8, 2009, 12:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

or not
Old February 8, 2009, 02:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

A small question for people who invest in DSE:
What kind of returns can one expect typically from investing in the DSE. I know the best and most stable stocks to buy in DSE are the Financial company stocks. So maybe they would have the highest returns. So what percentage of gain would an investor see if he has a diverse portfolio of good stable companies trading in the DSE? Now my next question, interest rates on saving instruments are so high in Bangladesh that you can get rates as high as 10- 12 % if I am not mistaken. There are saving instruments which double your investment in 5 years as well. When people have such high returns on savings instruments which are averse of any risk at all, one would assume that clever people would only invest in the DSE if the returns promises to be as high as 15-20% because the returns in DSE would not be guaranteed by any means. BTW, are there mutual funds in Bangladesh. If so where do I get more information on the portfolio of these mutual funds?
Old February 8, 2009, 03:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

If you invest with a bit of financial acumen, you can easily get around 20% returns annually.

Lots of mutual funds like Grameen2 and AIMS. Check out the dse webpage.
Old April 5, 2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
What I don't understand is the "% dividend". I am guessing it the percentage of total profit that are given out to shareholders. BUt then in 2007, it had 200% - which doesn't make sense.

So if AB bank is givin 100% dividend, I am gussing they are handing out all the profit of last year which is as you mentioned 150 crore.
No its not the percentage profit per se, its the percentage of the face value of the share that they distribute from their earnings.
Old April 5, 2009, 01:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Im glad you started the thread again...

Wow, bank shares have completely tanked. How's everyone doing?
Old April 5, 2009, 09:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Im glad you started the thread again...

Wow, bank shares have completely tanked. How's everyone doing?
I'm in deep s**t...My bank's rate is going down after declaring their 100% stock dividends. I don't get it.