facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cricket Savant

I am trying to set up internet and connect to wifi; it connects me but says limited or no connectivity. Talked to sys admin at school and he said sth. about dhcp and static ip and to talk to isp ppl but roomie comes at 5 when isp ppl hours off. What to do? I really need this help for tonight. Plz help.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old October 7, 2010, 05:19 PM
Test Cricketer

There are a number of solutions (depending on the source) to that problem:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...ed-connect.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896

My personal guess (without knowing any details) is that its a LAN ip collision; in which case if you have a router or modem box in your place, try powering it off/on for ~30 sec and see if it works.

If not, try this on your command prompt ( Start > run > CMD) 'ipconfig /release' (wait for output) then type 'ipconfig /renew'. (without quotes)

See if it helps. If not, I am out of ideas.

Last edited by Blah; October 7, 2010 at 05:51 PM..
Old October 7, 2010, 07:06 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
I am trying to set up internet and connect to wifi; it connects me but says limited or no connectivity. Talked to sys admin at school and he said sth. about dhcp and static ip and to talk to isp ppl but roomie comes at 5 when isp ppl hours off. What to do? I really need this help for tonight. Plz help.
I'm guessing the pc/laptop you are trying to set internet has some prior STATIC ip address alreday. to get rid of this - click start-control panel- click wifi icon- click properties at the bottom- highlight TCP/IP - click properties - and now you can find out is there any static ip or not! (this is for windows XP btw)
Old October 7, 2010, 08:53 PM
Cricket Savant

dadara turns out i had the wrong password....

thanks a lot for your help though.

Old October 9, 2010, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
Alright, thanks for the help Murad and Tonoy. I have a friend who is good with Computers that has offered to take a look at my Computer tomorrow. If he can't resolve this issue, then I will go for Ubuntu. And I remember trying to download those drivers earlier Murad. I had some problem with it for some reason, but I'll try it again. Again, thanks to the both of you.
Rommel: Let me know if you find that the resolution problem is not OS or driver related. I might be able to offer another angle.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

What should I put for settings on Camtasia studio for recording sports videos? I used to record cricket highlights all of the time but computer crashed and I never got to fix my settings. Anybody here that uses Camtasia or other good screen captures can you guys help me out a little?
Old November 12, 2010, 01:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Hi friends, it's your Bichitra magazine voted Funniest Man Alive Gopal here.

I did system recovery 3 times yet weird things start happening.

At first instead of cleaning the hard drive it brought back my old "deleted"-wink wink- files from long time back. Yeah didnt know things can be resurrected once you delete them.

So i did a sys rec again and whenever i go online malwares pop up and it starts redirecting me to ad sites etc.

BestBuy gave 'avash' - must admit it's a clever pun by me here...avast! avash....that if i take it to them they will do a system analysis and see if they can rectify it and if the problem is big they will clean my harddrive and give "discount" on kaspersky to "protect my pc"

Oh one nugatory detail. umm they will charge about like 250 bucks.

What are my options here? What is the best way to wipe my harddrive clean like blank slate??? I dont wanna spend that 200 bucks.....any suggestions?

Thanks. And it's a Compaq Desktop. I will try to get more specifics if necessary.

Old November 12, 2010, 02:07 AM
Administrator

ccleaner (I use that)

or

Get a bootable linux CD
Boot from the CD.
Run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda to erase the master drive on the primary IDE controller.

or
Old November 12, 2010, 02:10 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Gopal - sharing my exp, it may help:
I had lot of problem with my dell Inspiron 640m Laptop and decided to do a "factory restore" recently. I backed up all my data in a separate usb hard drive. I'm still using XP. Dell has a option (press ctrl +F11 when it boots) and after factory restore I found out it only delete all my C (primary) drive data, it did not touch other drive, which was good. this factory restore thing really worked for me. it was lot like "blank slate" for me!

so, now what method of system recovery you are trying? like trying to installing new windows or doing with your compaq CD or other way? if you have not tried the "factory restore" option by compaq then try it first.
Old November 12, 2010, 02:14 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Hey guys,

Anyone here quite familiar with java regex? I am stuck on writing a proper expression which would allow me to get the following characters (b c d f g h j k l m n p q r s t v w x z sh ng fn). I can create an expression which would allow me to get all the consonants by typing the following

[a-z&&[^aeiouy]]

I also know that in order to put in the sh ng and fn I need to group the the characters by using a bracket. (ng) (sh) (fn)

Could anyone here help me out on this?

Thanks.

BTW zeeshan, you could easily format your drive by just loading up any OS cd and then before installing the OS, look around for the option on formatting the hard drive. I am sure if you boot the computer from any windows cd you will find the format option.
Old November 12, 2010, 02:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks doc. First those hacks at BestBuy said no softwares are out there that can wipe your hard drive clean and they referred me to their Geek Squad. I guess they would've done the same thing and just charge 250. Should've gone to Fry's I guess.

Well...I get to save 250 before Eid. Maybe i will use this money to create an ADULT banglacricket website. Boo ya!

p.s. Offers to merge with my would be site may be negotiable.

Old November 12, 2010, 02:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Hey thanks tonoy and Noc bhai.

Noc bhai, I think it WAS factory restore. I hit F10 when rebooting and then it took me to a magical portal to a fantasy lala land where i was able to choose between pc diagnostics and recovery; alas! either path like norton or morton's fork leads me to some dark places.

I think it's God's way of slapping me on the wrist and saying: "Naughty naughty...look at all these disgusting files you had and was trying to sweep under the rug under the guise of deleting them. They are there! Oh Haaa le luyyiaah! You don't think that your life is recorded? Well guess what Z--fire and brimstone will fall forth upon you destroying like Sodom and Gomorrah."

Old November 12, 2010, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy

Could anyone here help me out on this?
Oy. Is this homeworkhelp.com?
Old November 12, 2010, 02:33 AM
Administrator

^^ Tonoy - [a-z] will only match lowercase ...
Old November 12, 2010, 02:36 AM

Dr. Z, I am only going for the lowercase now. Any help on how to add those three(sh ng fn) to the following?

Last edited by tonoy; November 12, 2010 at 02:43 AM..
Old November 12, 2010, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Question:

consider "shangri la"

Do you want to match "sh" or "s" and "h" - same for "ng"

I will give you this starter pattern

Code:
import java.util.regex.Matcher;
import java.util.regex.Pattern;

public class Test {

public static void main(String[] args) {
	Pattern somePattern = Pattern.compile("(ng|sh|fn|[a-z&&[^aeiouy]])");
	  Matcher matcher = somePattern.matcher("White ToNoY 1 shangri la");
		while (matcher.find()) {
			System.err.println(matcher.group(1));
		}
	}
}
Old November 12, 2010, 02:53 AM

Awesome!

Thanks Dr. Z. I wasn't aware that we could add "|" on the expression.
Old November 12, 2010, 04:34 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Awesome!

Thanks Dr. Z. I wasn't aware that we could add "|" on the expression.
"I" is a metacharacter here used as "or". It allows you to combine multiple expressions into a single expressoin. Go read O'Reilly's Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey Friedl.

Old November 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Wow, Java looks remarkably similar to C#.

One question though, Can we actually make an exe file from java (not jar)? The reason I ask is that the jar file eventually packs all the libraries with it making it huge. I had a simple converter (between farren. to Celsius) and the jar file was found to be about 40 MB. Any solution?
Old November 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
Go read O'Reilly's Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey Friedl.
someone handed me this book on my 2nd day of internship back in the day.... I dont think I have thanked the person enough....
Old November 12, 2010, 02:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Wow, Java looks remarkably similar to C#.

One question though, Can we actually make an exe file from java (not jar)? The reason I ask is that the jar file eventually packs all the libraries with it making it huge. I had a simple converter (between farren. to Celsius) and the jar file was found to be about 40 MB. Any solution?

C# is like a mix of Java and C++.
Old November 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Hi Guys,
I am in serious trouble with my computer. It's HP Pavilion with AMD Dual-Core processor. I bought it in March 2008 with Vista installed in it. Recently, I found most of the time it failed to start the Windows. After one fail start, I tried to restart (by disconnecting the power capable or keep pushing the power buttons). Then Windows suggested the recovery option. Using recovery option, the windows started but the next time same happened (fail to start). I thought there might be some virus and/or something that caused such problem. Hence, I have copied all the files and formatted hard drive and reinstalled the system ( I have recovery CD). But it did not help me. Then I tried to install the Ubuntu or Suse. I created a live CD and burned iso image for SUSE. But whenever I tried to boot the computer from the Ubuntu or Suse CD, it returned the error message "No Default or UI configuration directive found".
Now, there is one new problem, the computer shutdowns automatically suddenly.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Without disrespecting others, I think Nasif can help me out.

Last edited by cricket_dorshok; November 26, 2010 at 08:28 PM..
Old December 4, 2010, 04:23 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
Hi Guys,
I am in serious trouble with my computer. It's HP Pavilion with AMD Dual-Core processor. I bought it in March 2008 with Vista installed in it. Recently, I found most of the time it failed to start the Windows. After one fail start, I tried to restart (by disconnecting the power capable or keep pushing the power buttons). Then Windows suggested the recovery option. Using recovery option, the windows started but the next time same happened (fail to start). I thought there might be some virus and/or something that caused such problem. Hence, I have copied all the files and formatted hard drive and reinstalled the system ( I have recovery CD). But it did not help me. Then I tried to install the Ubuntu or Suse. I created a live CD and burned iso image for SUSE. But whenever I tried to boot the computer from the Ubuntu or Suse CD, it returned the error message "No Default or UI configuration directive found".
Now, there is one new problem, the computer shutdowns automatically suddenly.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Without disrespecting others, I think Nasif can help me out.
Without knowing specific details, here are some options you can try:
  • Go to your BIOS (usually by invoking F2 or Del key during bootup), and reset BIOS to factory default. Then retry booting to Ubuntu Live CD.
  • If that didn't work, take out the hard drive; and replace it with a spare one if you have. Then see if it boots up fine. If it does boot up; then your hd boot sector (sector 0) or the partition sector might be corrupt (i.e. hd is practically dead).
  • If you don't have a spare drive to replace with, then download Hiren Boot CD (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, for downloading search torrent sites). Boot into Hiren Boot CD, then select Window XP live. You should be able to boot into XP. Then open command prompt and execute chkdsk full check with bad sector recovery on your hard drive. Make sure you enter the right drive letter in the command.
    Code:
    chkdsk driveName: /f /r
    If you have already formatted the drive into linux ext file system; open XP computer management console (under Admin tools), go to Disk Management and kill the linux partition and format the drive as NTFS (don't check quickformat).
  • If any of the above worked, then don't use HP recovery CD. Install your windows operating system manually. Or you can stay with Linux.

Hope it helps.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old December 7, 2010, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

^^ Thank you Nasif.
I'll get back once I have done the above.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...he-Recycle-Bin
Many many thanks r_s bhai