facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 26, 2011, 11:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
We all know what kind of atrocities BDR is capable of....And YES Rohingyas are shot at everyday (including women and children)...
Ok. I've to say what I've said in my previous post.

Quote:
I hope you can prove what you're saying when you are trying to compare this with the BSF brutality.

Even the Rohingya people are not claiming that BDR shoots them, how can you say that? It's Nasaka who're shooting them.

http://www.rohingya.org/index.php?op...=263&Itemid=63

Old January 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
we shouldn't boycott the game...that would hurt us more than anyone else.

black arm bands not just for the India game but for the entire WC would be an amazing idea. besides, betaar, how are we going get BCB to boycott the game? Isn't our current government a virtual Indian chamcha...anything the BCB does, would have to be approved by Miss Bongobondu. And thats considering the BCB boss would even want to...doesn't the government always appoint its lackeys to be the chief of the cricket board?

but yes, black arm bands would be an awesome idea...and it would be terribly embarassing to New Delhi as well.

but then again you can kiss every playing India again good bye...but principles matter more than that. so i say go for it.
Al, I know damn well that boycotting the game isn't happenning and also isn't the right way either, which is why I asked the question, should we? Trust me, I am one of those people who very much want to keep dirty politics at its place which is why I suggested the black arm band. Even that's not going to happen I know for sure, unless the players take the initiative on their own. But knowing these balls less players I don't think they will dare to. Who would want to risk their precious future for the sake of the country that doesn't in return care for them?
Anyways, few of our Bangladeshi friends are trying to get together here in Minneapolis, MN and have a peaceful procession in front of the capitol, not sure if that's going to happen either......let's see.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Can a mod fix the spelling in my title? I misspelled Bangladesh, reason: too much anger was coarsing through my vain.

Last edited by betaar; January 27, 2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old January 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I think wearing a black arm band or boycotting India match might not be a solution here. Keep in mind that our "deshpremik" goverenment is not taking any sincere steps to stop the killings at the border. And if our players boycott or wear black arm bands during India match, then they might face the consequences that the Zim players faced for wearing black arm band to protest their govt's actions... But wearing a black arm band seems to be a great idea
Old January 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

What good would boycotting a mere cricket match do to the families of the dead? Will it make a difference to the father who had watch his own daughter die ? Boycotting the game, would lead to a chain of effects that would shadow our own pride. Once you read the news, your heart aches, you will feel the urge to do something , to somehow help the girl. But a week from now, all will be forgotten. Only the family will remember.

Should our cricketers wear a black arm band? Yes.
Can they? I am not sure. It will be potrayed as a big issue, and should India take it as offense, It wont be great for us.

Thats the sad truth. In politics, we do as they say. Even in the world of cricket, they hold the power.

Shakib, crush them. Atleast for the sake of that little girl, win.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Al, I know damn well that boycotting the game isn't happenning and also isn't the right way either, which is why I asked the question, should we? Trust me, I am one of those people who very much want to keep dirty politics at its place which is why I suggested the black arm band. Even that's not going to happen I know for sure, unless the players take the initiative on their own. But knowing these balls less players I don't think they will dare to. Who would want to risk their precious future for the sake of the country that doesn't in return care for them?
Anyways, few of our Bangladeshi friends are trying to get together here in Minneapolis, MN and have a peaceful procession in front of the capitol, not sure if that's going to happen either......let's see.
any protests should be done in front of the Bangladesh and Indian embassies and consulates. Washington won't care too much what is happening, and Minneapolis (or is it St Paul???) will care even less.

Black arm bands might cost Shakib and any other BD player a future IPL contract. I don't think we the people, have the right to demand our boys part with such a good fortune.

Unfortunately, we don't have a whole lot we can do. All we can do is try to win the game. Thats it.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Isolation, solitary living is not a good option, we have to engage in talk and more deeper communicacion between the Bangladeshis and the Indians. We have to talk about the truth, and see why a person like the unfortunate Felani has to go to India illigally. The Indians have to understand it and we have to understand it, and then together we have to see what we can do to prevent or support, help this cross-migration or one-way migration. No matter how inhumane it looks and how shameful it be for the government of India, the BSF soldier shot at an illigally border crossing subject, acording to the law he has the right to do so.

We should not boycott the match as the players have nothing to do with the crime. We should always hang on to whatever friendship we have left and build on that, because fighting is never a good option.

But I can feel our dear Betaar bhai's boiling blood.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Its a fight. This is the best ever chance to reply since you wont be able to do so politically.11 men vs 11 men. Lets face it as a chance to punch back regarding the issue. WE GOTTA WIN! we have to show that we can beat Them face to face. Not by killing an unarmed 15 years old rural teenage girl. Lets transform the shock into power.

No way to go backward from the war. we won the first battle in 2007. we will win this time . this is our time you know.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

it's very easy to shout brutality and what not. I admit that the death of a kid is a very tragic affair.
that said, why don't the people here who are shooting off the sound bytes try and cross into Bangladesh from the Indian side of the border, and see what BDR does to them ?
fact is every border guard anywhere in the world would shoot at intruders, especially if many of them are involved in smuggling and cattle lifting.

some people were arguing in the other thread that BSF should have arrested them. well, it has been tried before. bangladesh govt flatly refused to take them back and those people were kept on govt money for some months and then left to go on their way. there is a reason why India is erecting a fence at the border and not bangladesh.
fact is, India itself has enough poor to care about without any contribution from her neighbours, even by conservative estimates there are more than 2 million bangladeshis illegal immigrants in India. the not so conservative estimates put it at 3 million.

India has as much ground to boycott Bangladesh as the other way around (allowing camps and leaders of anti-India terrorist groups in BD, not curbing illegal immigration etc), which IMO is not very much. I do not believe either of our countries are actively harming each other.

if people want to stop tragic events like these, the solution is not to indulge in misplaced gimmicks like wearing armbands or boycotting. the solution would be to get BDR try to prevent these incursions for a change and make it active govt policy that illegal immigration is not to be tolerated.
Old January 27, 2011, 02:33 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
it's very easy to shout brutality and what not. I admit that the death of a kid is a very tragic affair.
that said, why don't the people here who are shooting off the sound bytes try and cross into Bangladesh from the Indian side of the border, and see what BDR does to them ?
fact is every border guard anywhere in the world would shoot at intruders, especially if many of them are involved in smuggling and cattle lifting.
I agree, BDR does as much as BSF, but that never gets into our news papers, and BDR never admits that they have done it, exactly what BSF does. You can see such newses in Indian news papers.

Quote:
some people were arguing in the other thread that BSF should have arrested them. well, it has been tried before. bangladesh govt flatly refused to take them back and those people were kept on govt money for some months and then left to go on their way. there is a reason why India is erecting a fence at the border and not bangladesh.
fact is, India itself has enough poor to care about without any contribution from her neighbours, even by conservative estimates there are more than 2 million bangladeshis illegal immigrants in India. the not so conservative estimates put it at 3 million.
There are many Indians working illegally in Bangladesh and that happens in neighbouring countries. These movements are just to meet the demand of the market. The employers either get better skills or lower wage or something beneficial to employ them. If there was no demand, these movements wouldnt have taken place. So there is no point picking up these issues.

Quote:
India has as much ground to boycott Bangladesh as the other way around (allowing camps and leaders of anti-India terrorist groups in BD, not curbing illegal immigration etc), which IMO is not very much. I do not believe either of our countries are actively harming each other.

if people want to stop tragic events like these, the solution is not to indulge in misplaced gimmicks like wearing armbands or boycotting. the solution would be to get BDR try to prevent these incursions for a change and make it active govt policy that illegal immigration is not to be tolerated.
BD doesnt have to export terrorism to India, India has enough hardline groups to generate their problems and export even to BD. Bangladesh has a much more tollerant & moderate % of population than India and that's why we haven't seen any Hindu-Muslim riots in BD. Even during the partition, india had bloody communal fights, while Bengal had nothing compareable to that.

We are neghbours, and there will always be issues of contention between neighbours. We cannot hold any government responsible for the activities of some black marketeers. Even a Kata Tarer Fence isnt enough to stop movemnets and interactions between the people of both sides. Lets just take it normally and improve our relationship, rathar then getting bogged down with petty issues.

We must play, boycotting an WC match isn't at all any consideration. And if Iran & USA can play each other, why cant BD and Ind? Are we in that bad relation ship?
Old January 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

BD doesnt have to export terrorism to India, India has enough hardline groups to generate their problems and export even to BD. Bangladesh has a much more tollerant & moderate % of population than India and that's why we haven't seen any Hindu-Muslim riots in BD. Even during the partition, india had bloody communal fights, while Bengal had nothing compareable to that.
not entirely true about history. didn't Direct Action Day start here in Bengal? Also weren't some of the worst riots in Bengal also? Or perhaps you meant it was on "their side" i.e Calcutta and other areas of "indian" bengal and not on our side...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 27, 2011, 08:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
Hasina's promise--one day BD will be India's state. hate her chamchagiri
I am speechless! When did she say that?

The solution should be at the government level. The killing by the BSF is not the only thing we need to settle with them, there are so many. And it does not vary much from AL govt to Jamat govt. The bahavior at the border is similar.

Boycotting the match against India is not a solution. Wearing black armband can be OK; but the problem itself is much bigger than this.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
If our team is the only entity capable of sending out a message as you claim, it should be through beating the living hell out of their team to the extent that their players are fallen to their knees, their apparel torn in several places, their hands clasped together begging in vain for mercy for their careers. All in the cricket field. And no, the message we send out shouldn't be political, but something that will forever instill fear in the minds of their cricketers, something that will take the form of their worst - and only - nightmare, every night.

And we should do the same to all other teams.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

My understanding is that these things happen between neighboring countries. Just a week ago a Mexican teen was shot dead by U.S border guards. I read about Cambodian troops killing Thai citizens as well in local news paper. I am sure Cambodia have such grievances too about thai troops killing their people but that won't be shown in Thai news paper and vice versa. In border provinces these things do happen in many places... My understanding is that these are isolated incidents caused by bad people in the defense forces...and its not some kind of national conspiracy that some people would like to believe. I think its better to address this issue during bilateral meetings between governments instead of boycotting cricket
Old January 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
not entirely true about history. didn't Direct Action Day start here in Bengal? Also weren't some of the worst riots in Bengal also? Or perhaps you meant it was on "their side" i.e Calcutta and other areas of "indian" bengal and not on our side...
Even that isn't historically accurate and we cannot absolve ourself of all blame too. A consequence of Direct Action Day was the Noakhali riots of 1946 which spread to nearby regions and led to thousands of deaths.

We all live in glass houses and should be careful where we cast our stones.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
So what did India do after the Mumbai incident?
Old January 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

As Mod:
Moved this to FC.

As myself:
Neel Here, you were pretty much on point except that tired old BD harbors etc etc crappola. Any country which has harbored the LTTE, the Shanti Bahini and has/had internal terror/extremist issues such as Khalistan, RSS, etc should not be, to quote Z bhai, casting stones.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

Quote:
If our team is the only entity capable of sending out a message as you claim, it should be through beating the living hell out of their team to the extent that their players are fallen to their knees, their apparel torn in several places, their hands clasped together begging in vain for mercy for their careers. All in the cricket field. And no, the message we send out shouldn't be political, but something that will forever instill fear in the minds of their cricketers, something that will take the form of their worst - and only - nightmare, every night.

And we should do the same to all other teams.
excellent answer. totally agree. Team should turn anger and sorrow to power that will make india ashamed on the ground, while whole world is gonna watch it.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
Unfortunately we lack cojones to stand up to India like that. But if our players do end up wearing black arm bands, it will send an unbelievably strong message to the whole world and let everyone know we are not a football and others can't just kick us around.
Unfortunately, our BD Govt. wont allow this
Old January 27, 2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
While any kind of extrajudicial killing is bad but border guards everywhere has the right to shoot at suspected smugglers and drug peddlers. To the best of my knowledge Bangladeshi Border guard also shoots at Rohingas. U just dont see that in bengali newspapers.......
Bro,
So you are agreeing that if 15 years old "Felani" was smuggler/drug peddlers, she should be raped, shot and carried like an animal and hang on the fence ??

Are you a human or just blind??????????????????????

Do you know how many illegal Mexicans crossing US borders every day? Lot of them are smugglers/drug peddlers.. How many of them are getting killed by US border patrol? You can count with just your pinky!!! Brother do your research before you post anything like that. Knowledge is the power..

You should be kicked out of the BD if you are supporung this brutality..or should be handed over to RAB ............

Last edited by CricketPagolChele; January 27, 2011 at 01:38 PM..
Old January 27, 2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bangladeshi guards do, yes, and either side has to make an effort to put an end to this. This isn't an us vs them issue, this is the lives of innocent people we're talking about.
ATM bhai,
Indian BSF never protested so called "BDR killing" not even in BSF-BDR meeting..where did you get this info? Yuo brother know something that BSF does not know.. No offense.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
While any kind of extrajudicial killing is bad but border guards everywhere has the right to shoot at suspected smugglers and drug peddlers. To the best of my knowledge Bangladeshi Border guard also shoots at Rohingas. U just dont see that in bengali newspapers.......
Right to rape? Right to carry like animal once killed? Right to hang the dead body on the fence?
Old January 27, 2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are other approaches to solving political issues. Our cricket team should not have to suffer the consequences of the people electing spineless leaders every five years. Reiterating what has been said in the other thread, the government isn't doing its job and that's where the real problem is.
ATM bhai,
I completely agree with you.............
Old January 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
We all know what kind of atrocities BDR is capable of....And YES Rohingyas are shot at everyday (including women and children)....
US border guard shoots the mexicans too....its easy to shoot than chase...So get on with your life...
Time to look into our own flaws and fix it first....
BSF doesnt just shot, they shot to make sure they can kill..where as US border guards dont do that.. BSF hardly can injure anyone, 99.99% of the time victims get killed.. So is it just shot to stop smuggling or shooting to make sure to kill? Yur choice bro..
Old January 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

I really don't care for limited overs cricket at my age. I am 35. Older than most posters here. So this world cup means precious little to me. However, I'd still like to see Bangladesh do well and at least reach the semifinals, which ought to be a realistic goal and a most credible achievement. Beyond that, luck will serve the prudent!

In terms of the original question, I think the best approach would be to beat India in the games played against them and at the end of match press conference, the victory could be dedicated to the fallen. If Bangladesh were to reach the final, a victory and dedication at this level would certainly raise a little more consciousness. Any donation of prize monies to the innocent victims' families would also be a major news item within Bangladesh.

Apart from India and Bangladesh no other participating country care about minor border skirmishes in the present context. The ordinary Indian doesn't so much care about these issues either. That leaves the typically hotheaded Bangladeshi youth to squirm even more. However, the ordinary Indian, especially in the bordering province in India could be made to care -

India's military and industrial might dwarfs anything Bangladesh can muster at present. However, there is a very simple solution to curbing this 'big brother's' influence. Bangladesh needs to establish much closer ties with West Bengal. This needs to be achieved through delegations at local government level as well as educational and cultural exchanges. Sports tournaments, invitation to celebrate Hindu festivities in Bangladesh based holy shrines and emphasising the common Sufi religious elements that had so often kept the faiths celebrating each other's differences. This would also require the traditionalist Hadith quoting Mullah to be more tolerant.

Bangladesh and its people need to demonstrate to West Bengalis how much we have in common. Provisions should be created at governmental level where West Bengalis are treated with more dignity and respect over non-Bengla speaking Indians. Cheaper holidays and offers of tax free shopping could well go a long way. The internet and internet businesses could be utilised to promote this closer cooperation. Over a ten year period this in itself should create a fifth-column within India that would be far more sympathetic to fellow Bangla speakers.

Consider the Jewish influence in American social, cultural and political sphere, and how that consciousness props up the state of Israel.