facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 29, 2011, 02:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Apologies to All Australian BCers

Yesterday, I posted a post, completely sarcastically which could be taken very offensively by our resident Australian posters.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize from the bottom of my heart for any bad feelings that may have been aroused.

I would like to reiterate that my post was one of complete sarcasm (and I can prove it by showing which post I was parody-ing). I do not at all believe that Australians are any different from citizens of any other country, although that is what was (sarcastically) stated in my previous post.

Once again, I am very sorry, and I am sure that posters such as IanW, OZfan, James, bourny, and others have hearts big enough to forgive me.

Most apologetically,

Asaad

#OneTeam1Dream

Old January 29, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Asad Al Furqaan is a very good soul! He is indeed a very good young man.

I would also like to take this opportunity and ask for everyone's forgiveness, as I might hurt you sometimes knowingly or unknowlingly.
Old January 29, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Honestly, i was shocked to see your comment in a thread where condolence and sympathy was required. I aint an Aussie. But that does not make me less angry or rather ashamed. I hope our BC Aussie friends would take your apologies as a good and friendly gesture from all other BC members specially who are residing in Australia. Aussie people are very friendly and supportive. Hope they would understand your remark on them.
Old January 29, 2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I would like to reiterate that my post was one of complete sarcasm (and I can prove it by showing which post I was parody-ing).
Well context makes all the difference, dude. That post of yours was *not* appropriate in and of itself!
Old January 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Well context makes all the difference, dude. That post of yours was *not* appropriate in and of itself!
was this a post in that flood thread. Yeah I read that and was like wth is wrong with him and then figured maybe he is being sarcastic but i asked myself what is the context? I looked up.. i didn't find anything. I decided to stay quiet....

I mean how do I know this is a not a sarcastic apology. CONTEXT is your friend.

anyways don't feel bad furqan.. we all have idiotic moments.. even Barack Obama....
don't bring attention to yourself. LOL
Old January 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I see that now, and I apologize for that.

The context was several months old, and althought it was fresh in my mind (since both Mona and I had a lengthy discussion about it with Neel), its next to impossible for someone else to remember the context.

But I do want everyone to realize that original post was equally offensive to Pakistanis and people who donated during the floods there. That post, to my knowledge was not in jest.

perhaps you haven't followed the news of relief work of the 2005 earthquake once the media hoopla died down ?

Quote:
coming to UNICEF, on pressure from pakistan govt UN has appealed for aid to be sent to a swiss bank account with no independent monitoring of funds, a highly suspicious event. I'll let you form your own opinions on the matter.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...qhl5AD9HQKLU80
to argue that the UNICEF is complicit with that should be rather offensive, especially since you and I both know people in our family who risked life and limb to work for the UN in places like Somalia and Uzbekistan. Impotent and oligarchical (by design) the UN - which was intended to be a humanistic association - might be, but to call it terrorist or terrorism-supportive, is not only not true, but offensive as well.

what fell completely by the wayside was how, even with the intention of hoarding UN Aid money, how would the Pakistan government pull that off without anyone noticing? Remember, this is most scrutinized nation on earth, unlike other rogue states like North Korea and Iran, their dirty laundry is exposed for the world to see. Pakistan is on the cover of Time and Newsweek every week, but none of the stories have to do with military embezzlement of funds.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
Cricket Sage

even without context...have you guys not learned anything from Dr Z's sarcasm 101 thread/class???

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 29, 2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
to argue that the UNICEF is complicit with that should be rather offensive, especially since you and I both know people in our family who risked life and limb to work for the UN in places like Somalia and Uzbekistan. Impotent and oligarchical (by design) the UN - which was intended to be a humanistic association - might be, but to call it terrorist or terrorism-supportive, is not only not true, but offensive as well.

what fell completely by the wayside was how, even with the intention of hoarding UN Aid money, how would the Pakistan government pull that off without anyone noticing? Remember, this is most scrutinized nation on earth, unlike other rogue states like North Korea and Iran, their dirty laundry is exposed for the world to see. Pakistan is on the cover of Time and Newsweek every week, but none of the stories have to do with military embezzlement of funds.
I think the post you're referring to could have been dismissed easily with coherent logic and argument. Time or Newsweek may not talk about embezzlement, but the saucy and insecure South Asian media does jump on that sort of talk easily. I think editorial bias and slant is there for all to see when anything comes out of South Asian media, just as it does from Fox, Time and Newsweek. We end up viewing any op-ed or article critically. But thats also why you and I had never come across UNICEF's complicity story ever before.

The posters assertion then is no different from the idea that the 'holocaust is a fabrication perpetrated by the zionists' and the one about 'no Jews died in 9/11'. And for the paranoid types its always convenient to call the UN into question when their eternal enemy is needing their help, and then call on the UN as your lifeline and aid when its convenient.

Regardless, your specific post was out of context and extremely offensive in the very assertions that you made whether in jest or not. There was nothing ironic about it given the overall flow of the debate on that thread. For many a hardened reader, that post read to be in very poor taste.
Old January 29, 2011, 04:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I knew the post was sarcastic, but totally innappropiate considering people had died; I didnt expect this kind of thing from Al furqaan.

I was not offended by the comments, but Ive lost some respect for Al Furqaan, that cannot be redeemed with a simple apology.
Old January 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
I knew the post was sarcastic, but totally innappropiate considering people had died; I didnt expect this kind of thing from Al furqaan.

I was not offended by the comments, but Ive lost some respect for Al Furqaan, that cannot be redeemed with a simple apology.
yes, now we should see how much more respect should be lost if i had been serious about it and hijacked a thread in order to promote some dubious claim (ie. pakistani flood victims shouldn't be helped because a certain percentage of them are terrorists) which can be held to be false within even a strict confidence interval.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 29, 2011, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
yes, now we should see how much more respect should be lost if i had been serious about it and hijacked a thread in order to promote some dubious claim (ie. pakistani flood victims shouldn't be helped because a certain percentage of them are terrorists) which can be held to be false within even a strict confidence interval.
I held you to a higher standard to those others.
Old January 29, 2011, 04:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I think the post you're referring to could have been dismissed easily with coherent logic and argument. Time or Newsweek may not talk about embezzlement, but the saucy and insecure South Asian media does jump on that sort of talk easily. I think editorial bias and slant is there for all to see when anything comes out of South Asian media, just as it does from Fox, Time and Newsweek. We end up viewing any op-ed or article critically. But thats also why you and I had never come across UNICEF's complicity story ever before.
IMO, ease of dismissal shouldn't be the focal point, but rather whether or not such a post should have been allowed to stand. of course there was lengthy discussion after the said post, which remained civil, and its unfair to cut any part of a discussion out, unless one locks the thread completely. so its a moot point now, either way.

i do apologize for any confusion, although i don't regret the actual post itself, since intention is all that counts and my intention was to be sarcastic.

i will however, accept all negative fallouts from such a asinine post, and stress to any and all Australians that those views were as much a caricature as Dave Chappelle's assertions that African-Americans use their "wide noses" to "breathe up all the white man's air". Only difference being his remarks were being directed towards his "own people".

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

The truth is: we are not always in the "ideal" state of mind. we are constantly influenced by internet, friends, TV, people around us. it is not always as easy as hitting the "refresh" button because it is a struggle. but Alhamduilllah! al-furqaan did the right thing at least publicly apologizing which is excellent because some people won't even admit their own faults in an attempt to make themselves look "good" while Allah knows what is in each and every one of our hearts!

what i find a bit funny is that no "Australlian by birth" person has stepped up to accept/deny your apology...at least yet!
Old January 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Why is everyone so kissy kissy these days?
Old January 29, 2011, 10:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
we're waiting to be whipped.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
cuz our women don't put out... they all stuck up! I mean how you gonna act hard to get even after I married you.. it's getting old and i am getting cold and begging for love from anybody..even other men, dogs, chicken anything.. kiss me!!

I like to share this favorite song of mine for the people who don't kiss me enough:

Old January 30, 2011, 03:28 AM

iDumb is such a girl!
Old January 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

How dare you al Furqaan....

Just kidding mate. Don't know what (or where) you've written in that post, but you're still my hero.

We need a sharp Assad bhai in BC and in our neighbour forums to handle people like BossBhai. Keep it up bro.