facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2008, 01:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Play To your Strengths!!! Batting doesn't and won't win us matches for Quite sometime

People forget we were a very dangerous Side under DW, I'm making this post because people have given in to Siddons notion that were not good enough and we need to start from scratch, the winning may have happened once every 4/5 matches but the competitiveness was alot more frequent especially towards the end

Remember when Haba used to win a toss, He'd always Field, if he was just Smart enough to realize Bat 1st In Tests he'd still be here, but he knew if the bowlers and the fielders did there Job, we would have a chance at winning

Batting doesn't win you matches, Catches win you matches (umpires too) and it's obvious how you get catches from good bowling. If Ashoka knew how to raise his Index finger or Had we held on to a few catches, Whatmore would be the Billion Dollar Coach.

The Bowling ... I'm speechless at this moment of how spineless it has become you can talk about team rules 240 all you want but this short pitched 75 mph deliveries and down legsides wide and if isn't wide than it's 4, Spinner Over-Stepping time after time and this man tells me 240 and Blatantly ignores that the other 2 facets of the game is appalling

Are best Result under Siddons was under the Whatmore Way: Good bowling, Great Fielding, Watching that Test there was a point where SA were scared sh!tless to take a single cause they would have been run out, How can you run out the fastest man in International cricket twice (Ashwell Prince) and now field like Amateurs droping skiers, overthrows etc.

You Can't win every match, but you play to your strengths, Bowl stump to Stump and field like savages, you can give your self a chance and Under DW Our Fielding was Top 5 (If it was Top 3 our record would look better than Zimbabwe under the Flower Dyansty) and Our Bowling was Top 8 Quality 70% of the time

I can name you on memory a handful of matches that We Choked Under Whatmore not because we couldn't bat but because of Fielding, Bowling and Umpiring errors that should warrant investigation

Name me how many matches Under JS we had a chance to win just bowled and fielded well 2 thats it, At the end of the Whatmore regime you could of said we could have won 35% of the matches played vs the Top 8 had we not choked.

Chokes in Descending order with a little story behind it
Bangladesh vs India 1st ODI 2007: Dominate 80 overs off the match, Lala makes a dumb error on a run out and Ashoka forgets what an LBW is on Dhoni
Bangladesh vs West Indies Super 8: Your Chasing 230, you should have won the match bat with some brain, after the innings break your on Top and have Chance something we haven't seen under JS
Bangladesh vs England Super 8: Not Really a choke defending 144 is beyond stupid but almost defending is amazing, I remember in the chat room for this match, I remember Flintu Golden Duck and I thought 1 more wicket and its the Tail, look at Rasel's line
1st 2 ODI's vs Australia 2006: 251 For another Unthinkable, But we picked Tushar and Javed too teach Ash a lesson and they taught the selectors a real lesson, Masri opening spell was FIRE!, Bowled really well in the 1st ODI too showed real heart wasn't the bold heading coach on tour than as well, Gilchrist was the difference had he batted with a 100% SR instead could have a chance Rafique 10 overs 14 runs Godly!
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka the entire Series 112 in the 1st ODI but the bowlers cared and showed heart and took wickets, Should have won the Series, All I have to say, Mortaza's Last Spell Was the Worst ever in the 3rd ODI and the Inclusion of Tapash in the 3rd ODI, one of the bigger chokes i'ver ever witnessed lanka should been in the 245 at best from where they were, 309 SMH

2007 played vs the minnows, thats why such a big gap from Aussie Tour to WC

To even go even back further, We lost by a wicket to the West Indies, Lost by 2/3 wickets to NZ Aftab fluke and after Cardiff almost had a chance to beat Australia again posting 250, Under Whatmore there was always that chance to win at some point in good number of matches, whether at the 50 over mark or even past that mark with 70% of the match completed, it's a 100 over game, Under Siddons no sign of a slight chance of winning, he's thrown that out the window

Test Matches, I'm just gonna Say Mortaza Drops Ponting, Ash drops Dilshan or Samaraweera, Aleem Dar and Ashoka can stick there Index fingers up there ....

We were leaps and bounds better than we are now, We were competitive and no pushovers during Pre WC to the India Series, Bowling and Was Top Notch, Batting was inconsistent had they applied them selves better Could even made the semis, but this Man Siddons has destroyed the bowling and the fielding he thinks were idiots, didn't he know Austraia won more matches because of Fielding and McGrath and Warne than Superb Batting?

Note: You can't compare the beginning of the JS era to DW's for the fact there using the same players

Old July 8, 2008, 03:22 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I lost count of how many times the opposition scored 250+ and we gave that target no real chase at all during Whatmore regime. That team couldn't even chase 240+ against Ireland. Does anyone remember the scare Mukuddem gave us in the Bermuda match?

I remember in the last few days of DW regime people couldn't wait till his contact would be over. Now that DW isn't in charge anymore, all is forgiven!!!

Last edited by Spitfire_x86; July 8, 2008 at 03:29 AM..
Old July 9, 2008, 02:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
I lost count of how many times the opposition scored 250+ and we gave that target no real chase at all during Whatmore regime. That team couldn't even chase 240+ against Ireland. Does anyone remember the scare Mukuddem gave us in the Bermuda match?

I remember in the last few days of DW regime people couldn't wait till his contact would be over. Now that DW isn't in charge anymore, all is forgiven!!!
Nothing forgiven, nothing forgotten. In DW era we were creating chance; going for that taking that chance (i.e. opposition scoring 250) or not has nothing to do with JS performance where we can not even create the opening.
Old July 9, 2008, 04:25 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Depends on your definition of "chance". For a team which couldn't chase 250+ in their dreams, a target of 250+ isn't a chance.
Old July 9, 2008, 07:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman

but he knew if the bowlers and the fielders did there Job, we would have a chance at winning
oh man, BC memberra je ato slow, lmao... i posted this type of line long time ago, now i see this line........oh .....r kichu bolar nai
Old July 9, 2008, 11:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Here's what your analysis missed.

Bofore, the scenario was that: we were a decent bowling team, with zero batting skills. We sucked, and sucked, and sucked even more.

After JS, the scenario is: he's identified batting to be the core issue; thus he's working on it. He has relaxed on the bowling issues, and this has put us at the bottom once again. Now we're getting thrashed and thrashed and thrashed.

So to argue to your point: no, ONLY batting will not win us matches. But saying that "Batting won't win us matches" is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard lately. (sorry, didn't mean that in an insulting way)
Old July 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

batting is part of the game. with the current cricketing laws, 80% of test cricket, 70% od ODIs and T20. Focusing on the majority part will make us better. Ofcourse we can not forget the remaining part.

For BD team, Batting would ensure we do not have white washes in test series. That is enough for me.
Old July 9, 2008, 12:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Unless that special bowler is born who can run through a side, we won't win too many test matches. Collectively we are not that good. In one dayers, bowlers can work in tandem to minimize the runs scored against and thus poaching wkts away. But, to win test matches, you need at least two very good wkt taking bowlers. We don't have that, yet. So, batting is the main option for tests. If you can put up total of 300+ consistently ( more so in first innings ) in both innings, there is always a chance for a draw and even an occasional win. I think we can achieve that. Thats a more realistic goal with what we have. Of course, things change dramatically, if a Murali falls on your lap, who gets 5 fer's for just showing up! Compare the win-loss ratio of SL before and after him in tests.