facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 13, 2005, 01:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Warne\'s Suggestion!!!!!!!

I'm just curious to know the reaction on Warne's comments about splitting the Test nations into two divisions. Personally i think its a good idea, what about u guys? Read the article from this link Link

Edited on, April 13, 2005, 6:43 AM GMT, by Rubayed.

Old April 13, 2005, 01:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Shane Warne? You mean this dude?

Shane Warne says he loves it in Hampshire, but he won't enjoy this.

A day after launching the new English county cricket season as Hampshire captain, Warne woke up to a newspaper photo of him with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and trousers hanging around his knees.

In the photo in The Sun, Warne's cricket shirt was high enough to reveal his underpanted modesty.

The Australian leg spinner showed in 1999 he can be sensitive to candid photos when he snatched a camera from a New Zealand schoolboy who snapped a shot of him smoking while he was being sponsored to quit.

He confirmed on Monday he and his family were moving to Southampton permanently and was just waiting for the completion of the sale on a house he had bought in Ocean Village.

"I love it over here, love it at Hampshire and the way they've taken me in and treated my family," Warne said.

If he moved to England to avoid press intrusion, he's come to the wrong place.

SMH
----
hehe what a clown!

I prefer his two-tier scheme (five teams in each tier) and a relegation mechanism rather than Ganguly's idea. But you may find that most people here are TOTALLY against a tiered system
Old April 13, 2005, 03:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Haha what a funny topic ? What did he suggest ? How Aussies gonna win against bangladesh after 5 years ....... That's bad . Everyone has a time , Now time is on their hand ...... So , they are playing , not to worry when our players gonna get matured and old enough then we won't loose with them ...... Poor Aussie ........ Think about 5 years what happens !!!!!!!!!
Old April 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
Test Cricketer

I may not dislike two-tier test cricket system with five teams in each tier that comes with clear promotion/relegation mechanism . In that case i would also like to see another (3rd) tier of top five associate teams and winner of the associates get rewarded for a term of n-years ( 2 or 4 years to coordinate the whole schedule with WC / ICC champions Trophoy and ICC Trophy for associates) to play with 2nd tire of 5 nations. Thus the next test playing country will have smooth transition to test cricket.

I absolutely detest a 2 tier system with anything less than 4 teams in a tier!
Old April 13, 2005, 08:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Another thing if globalization of the sport and sponsors' money are main driving force of all these n-tier talk then ICC should separate test cricket from limited over internationals. It may not have effect on most of test playing countries but would give countries like Scotland, Ireland, UAE, Canada and USA a clear direction.

Edited on, April 13, 2005, 1:35 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

This idea just might work with some twicking. Promotion/relegation should take place every 2 years between 2 divisions. I don't think it is a good idea to have a 3rd division with the associate members with the option of promotion/relegation, because to qualify as a test playing nation in addition to level of the game each country need to have sustainable and progressive infrastructure and many other criterias (specially financial). The associate members can play test among themselves and if any of the is qualified to join the test group they can do so like BD did.

Each group should have 5 teams with current situation. The 2 tier system is a bad bad bad idea, but this is actually not.

One thing for sure this system will make test matches more competitive in each group. Each country will have more definitive objective, preparation and growth.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by DotBall
This idea just might work with some twicking. Promotion/relegation should take place every 2 years between 2 divisions. I don't think it is a good idea to have a 3rd division with the associate members with the option of promotion/relegation, because to qualify as a test playing nation in addition to level of the game each country need to have sustainable and progressive infrastructure and many other criterias (specially financial). The associate members can play test among themselves and if any of the is qualified to join the test group they can do so like BD did.
I guess I need to clarify. I'm not suggesting promotion / relegation between test playing countries ( proposed tire 2 of 5 nations) and proposed tire 3 of associates countries. Promotion / relegation should take place only between test playing countries ( tire 1 and tire 2). The winner of tire 3 of 5 associate countries will be rewarded to play 1st class matches (3 or 4 days) with tire 2 test nations in regular basis. It will ensure the growth and popularity of the sport in the winning associate country. Based on their performance and other parameters as you mentioned in your post the winner could be 'adopted' to the test family. Thus they will remain competitive in tire 2 in terms of cricketing ability and by the time they reach that stage we can assume they will have infrasrtucture, popularity of longer version of the sport and sponsors in place.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
Club Cricketer

Shane Warne thinks he is a great cricketer but against India his avg is crap ..... So many aussies think warne doen't have a character . Looks like an White Aussie Sheep anyway . eg: drug ban , sms scandle .......... what a character lol ?
Old April 13, 2005, 11:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Tamim

Well done, fab......................
What a picture............?
Old April 13, 2005, 01:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Nastak Ferulla.... I thought its a g-Rated site
Old April 13, 2005, 01:48 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Fab secretly loves Warne. For a ONS of course.
Old April 13, 2005, 07:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think Warne's suggestion is a far better one than Ganguly's one. It might make test cricket more interesting!
Old April 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubayed
I think Warne's suggestion is a far better one than Ganguly's one. It might make test cricket more interesting!
Gang does not want to put his team into 2nd division. If 5 in upper division certainly India would not make it. I like Warne's suggestion too.
Old April 13, 2005, 11:34 PM
Test Cricketer

test cricket is just fine the way it is. bangladesh and zimbabwe just needs to be more stronger to compete with the rest. bangladesh is getting there but zimbabwe is declineing. i am tired of hearing all this talk about changeing cricket. cricket is just fine the way it is. ICC should keep it like this.
Old April 13, 2005, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

who gives a damn....
Old April 14, 2005, 01:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by fab

Shane warne might be a bengali.

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 6:14 AM GMT, by Orpheus.
Reason: format
Old April 14, 2005, 01:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

About the Idea
Among all the tier-talks(which is itself still a hypothesis), this format of 5-5 Relegation has the lowest chance of getting the top 8 Test-Nations interested. None of them will want to even think of anything that might put them in 2nd tier.

About the Inventor of the Idea(Warne)
Well.. there is a very good bangla proverb for him:
"Koto hati ghora gelo tol... mosha bole koto jol!"

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 6:38 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Reason: spell
Old April 14, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Must be looking for the Ball.
Old April 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

[quote]Originally posted by fab

Smart Guy
Old April 15, 2005, 12:38 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default A follow up story

Test cricket is 'not sport'

Cricinfo staff

April 15, 2005

Rodney Hogg, bowling in 1978, wants the current Australia side to have some competition © Getty Images

Rodney Hogg, the former fast bowler, has branded Test cricket "not sport" after a string of one-sided matches involving Australia and New Zealand. As the Kiwis cleaned up the series against Sri Lanka with a four-day innings victory, Hogg joined Steve Waugh and Shane Warne in worrying about the standard of the game.

"Test cricket is not sport at the moment," Hogg, who picked up 123 Test wickets, said in the Herald Sun."I don't want to see Test matches over in three days. I don't want to see blokes averaging 75 with the bat all the time. I want to see Australia win, but I want to see competition."

The newspaper reported Australia's dominance had given them 40 extra rest days in the 76 Tests since May 1999. Warne suggested earlier this week that the game should be split into two tiers with a promotion and relegation system because there were too many cheap wickets and runs.

Waugh said the concept would be difficult to implement with only nine Test teams. "I'd like to see more A cricket, Australia A and England A against the lower sides, but having two tiers would not help," he said.

The "lull in the bowling stocks" is Waugh's major concern about worldwide standards. "There's some great batsmen at the moment but the bowling is thin," he said. "When I first started in the mid-80s the bowling depth was very strong and each team had at least two or three strike bowlers. But it's very thin at the moment with the exception of Australia and, to some extent, England."

Test cricket is 'not sport;