facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default What Are The Chances?

I predict a slight move away from the boards' love affair with the Australian coaches (only slight though as the southern twang of accents will still be strong in these parts) towards our new found friends in Sri Lanka.

Working on the always misplaced theory of what a player can do he can definitely coach to others, what are the chances of Chaminda Vaas as fast bowling coach and Murali as spin bowling coach for the Tigers?

The BPL has seen a small influx of SL players and staff. The first signs perhaps of a change?

And with the SL board almost bereft of cash and the BCB rammed with it, the flights from Columbo to Dhaka could soon be laden with new coaches looking to try Bangladesh as a testing ground for their fledgling coaching.

The SL tour for BD could be important in more ways than one

Thoughts?

Old February 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
MLC World Series I

I would love it if we were to utilize the resources available in SL. That island always produces talent not only in terms of players but management skills as well.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Back in the time we did try quite a few Lankan coaches for Academy and BKSP (Rumesh Ratnayake was one). Somehow the board was not too impressed with them and did not try to retain them when their contracts ran out. It may be because, as you said, we fancy Aussie coaches more.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Coach, I think Vaas and Murali both have tenures with the SLC. Not sure if they have long term assistant coaching roles, but its full time for sure. Cricinfo reported on it a few weeks back.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 11, 2013, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Before you (Ian) came to be the fast bowling coach of Bangladesh, I believe our coach was Champaka Ramanayeke (someone who worked with Malinga and also Vaas). Our curator is also a Srilankan.
I dont think Murali would ever coach Bangladesh though, he really does not like this country much, there are not too many foreigners who love this country as much as you do ... Vaas might be an option after his stint with Srilankan cricket.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Vaas wouldn't be a bad addition, murali would be good to I guess but he has a unique action so I'm not sure how effective he will be and even so I would hope they would retain saqlains expertise.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Before you (Ian) came to be the fast bowling coach of Bangladesh, I believe our coach was Champaka Ramanayeke (someone who worked with Malinga and also Vaas).
Yeah, it was Ramanayeke, not Ratnayake. I mixed up names
Old February 12, 2013, 12:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Vaas wouldn't be a bad addition, murali would be good to I guess but he has a unique action so I'm not sure how effective he will be and even so I would hope they would retain saqlains expertise.
Yeah, I don't think Murali could teach much. He was a freak, you don't make Muralis...you're just born like that. We have no shortage of bowlers with his pace, and physical attributes. He was a pure skill bowler and if we could learn 10% of what he knows, we'd be a much better pace bowling side.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Sri Lankan coaches have had some role in our development. Its not just Ramanayake and Kalpage, there were 4 coaches at age group level-http://www.bangla2000.com/News/Archive/Cricket/8-30-2000/sports_detail4.html.

Saber Hossain was smart. He knew these guys were much better than our local coaching options and didnt require a large budget. Unfortunately since 2005-06 we havent brought in anyone to manage our age groups. Recent presidents have overlooked the Under 19 team completely.

I think Sri Lanka will tie up Vaas and Murali at some point. But there are plenty of other good coaches here.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:37 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Not all smart bowlers become good coaches, but if Vaas can impart some of his knowledge and thought process, Abul, Rubel, and Co could really benefit.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Vaas was heavily praised by New Zealand team (He worked with them for a tour), which is why Sri Lanka is considering him to mentor national pacers.

Shuziboro what you said is true. And then theres the other part. Even the best of coaches may not have much effect if players dont listen and dont want to learn and improve. Ramanyake continues to do a good job with the Sri Lankan pacers. He picked up where he left off. But think of his stint with Bangladesh. It wasnt much of a success. Jurgensen isnt getting anything out of the bowlers either.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Yeah you could get the best fast bowling coaches in the world but if the players don't listen and learn then it's all a waste of time.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
Cricket Sage

in other words, goru pityee manush kora jai na.