facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: As a struggling developing nation, what are your opinions about military expenditure?
The BD government should reduce the amount it spends on the armed forces 3 15.79%
The BD government should continue with military expenditure at current levels 12 63.16%
BD doesn't need a military bigger than Habiganj thana police-we don't need a military 4 21.05%
I have no particular opinion on this matter 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15, 2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Question Bangladeshi Armed Forces Expenditure

I was browsing the net looking for all things Sylheti/Bangladeshi, and I was astonished when I came across a website claiming that the Bangladeshi government allocates an annual military budget amounting to $900 MILLION!

Given the grinding poverty, social instability and political mayhem that is the Bangladesh we know and love, how can such waste be justified as being halal? Does Bangladesh realistically face an external threat that necessitates the purchase of fighter planes, tanks and warships instead of improving the countries infrastructure and wiping out preventable diseases and rampant illiteracy amongst the masses?

It seems to me that a disproportionally large number of netcitizens of Sylheti/Bangladeshi origin live outside Bangladesh, precisely because of the poverty and lack of opportunity rather than because they are anxious about an external threat.

Last edited by Sylheti; November 15, 2006 at 05:09 PM..

Old November 15, 2006, 02:46 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I'd say Bangladesh faces an "internal" threat more, so we can bomb them back to sanskrit age if the situation requires.
Old November 15, 2006, 03:55 PM
Test Cricketer

can you provide us with the link?
Old November 15, 2006, 04:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I see where you are going. Here is a question for you and the respected members who think BD don't need that much budget for Armed forces.

Say BD has a budget reduction to $1,000,000 for the Armed forces for each year. Which means almost a nine tenth of the Armed forces would be "beykaar". The remaining $8,000,000 is allocated to else where in governmental projects. How much of the $8,000,000 will actually benefit BD citizen? They way things are being done my guess would be a maximum of $100,000. The rest will go to the politicians pocket. All in all, in which form more BD citizen gets the benefit?

Ar koto politicain'der poisa khawaben??
Old November 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Bangladesh

it says there too. i think they should spend a billion dollars. and they should increase the pension. hehe my dad will be very happy then
Old November 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I see where you are going. Here is a question for you and the respected members who think BD don't need that much budget for Armed forces.

Ar koto politicain'der poisa khawaben??

You may be surprised to learn that there is corruption within the armed forces establishment (although perhaps not as endemic as the civilian sector) in Bangladesh.

When last I visited Bangladesh, I stayed with my cousin who is an officer in the Biman Bahini at Dhaka Cantonment (near the old airport). During my stay I either noticed or was informed of the following:

1. Armed Forces and ancillary personnel are given subsidised saul and dail in the form of 'rations'. Alas, most of the good foreign-aid derived foodstuffs are sold on the black market and substituted for inferior Bangladeshi produced rice and dail with stones in it.

2. In terms of forces housing, personnel can often bribe their way to larger flats than they and their family circumstances entitle them to.

3. During my stay, my family were often ferried from one place to another eg. Kosu Keth, Gawsia & Elephant Road by a staff car at my cousins disposal. I am pretty sure that the Bangladeshi government does not maintain it's army car pool to ferry around NRB's! Apparently, my cousin knew someone at the car pool.

4. The rumour is that the elite Army Medical School was set up so that certain families with long military/political traditions could send their children to this establishment, then Europe and onto greater things, at the publc expense.

In my opinion, if the government of that country insists on spending so much money on such frivolities, there should at least be a full and transparent accounting. In addition, the officer corps shouldn't be composed of a close-knit clique of families but be truely representative of the country that armed forces purports to serve.
Old November 15, 2006, 05:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
1. Armed Forces and ancillary personnel are given subsidised saul and dail in the form of 'rations'.
I know dail is some kind of performance enhancing drugs as mentioned by some one in this board. But what is saul? And why BD government supply these kind of banned product to our military?

Last edited by Fazal; November 15, 2006 at 05:35 PM..
Old November 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Looks like you forgot " Bangladesh Government should increase to a much bigger defense budget" option. Please add it, so, many more of us can vote.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Sylheti Bhai,

I have one more question. Whose money are you talking about.

If I have to pay in any form and I have a say, then no way... they should take extreme cost cutting measure, and I am ok with the 3-not-3 rifles if that saves money.

Now if its someone else's money and I still have a say, then why not? go for it, buy some more mig 19s and battle worn tanks from Iraq. If nothing else, it will give some false moral boost to the nation. After all its not my money we are talking about.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:57 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

AFAIK, they receive the same grade of food ("ration") that the general people get during disaster relief, i.e. the thick rubbery rice that's hard to swallow. They're paid meagre wages; they have to work, train and study very hard. They signed up to give their lives to protect this country that we have liberated through the loss of so many lives. They are the protector of our sovereignty and territorial integrity against any threat we may face. They are the biggest peace-keeping force in the world, through which they earn our country $200m a year, and most importantly pride. They respond quickly and set an example of our perseverance during natural disasters. They manage all of that with $900m. If anything, their expenditure should be increased.
Old November 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I know dail is some kind of performance enhancing drugs as mentioned by some one in this board. But what is saul? And why BD government supply these kind of banned product to our military?
ha haa Fazal, It would appear that Sylheti is not aware of the bangla alphabet
Old November 15, 2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I was browsing the net looking for all things Sylheti/Bangladeshi, and I was astonished when I came across a website claiming that the Bangladeshi government allocates an annual military budget amounting to $900 MILLION!

Given the grinding poverty, social instability and political mayhem that is the Bangladesh we know and love, how can such waste be justified as being halal? Does Bangladesh realistically face an external threat that necessitates the purchase of fighter planes, tanks and warships instead of improving the countries infrastructure and wiping out preventable diseases and rampant illiteracy amongst the masses?

It seems to me that a disproportionally large number of netcitizens of Sylheti/Bangladeshi origin live outside Bangladesh, precisely because of the poverty and lack of opportunity rather than because they are anxious about an external threat.

I thought people from other district are jealous of 'foisawala' Sylheti people! how come they go and live outside because of poverty and lack of opportunity? Besides how you justify $900m is a waste and not being halal, based on that figure? How did you come to a conclusion that we don't have external / internal threat?

Though I agree with you on 'there should at least be a full and transparent accounting' ( your 2nd post ).
Old November 16, 2006, 12:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
AFAIK, they receive the same grade of food ("ration") that the general people get during disaster relief, i.e. the thick rubbery rice that's hard to swallow. They're paid meagre wages; they have to work, train and study very hard. They signed up to give their lives to protect this country that we have liberated through the loss of so many lives. They are the protector of our sovereignty and territorial integrity against any threat we may face. They are the biggest peace-keeping force in the world, through which they earn our country $200m a year, and most importantly pride. They respond quickly and set an example of our perseverance during natural disasters. They manage all of that with $900m. If anything, their expenditure should be increased.
Arey Hatebreed bhai, desher manushe khiate pare na, military der ki khawabe?

Its a pity our country contributed so much in those screwed up places around the world, yet we dont have any security in our own backyard.

Its time the army was restored to law and order in our own home.
Old November 16, 2006, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
They are the protector of our sovereignty and territorial integrity against any threat we may face. They are the biggest peace-keeping force in the world, through which they earn our country $200m a year, and most importantly pride.

You are divorced from reality.

Sovereignty, pride and territotrial integrity do not occur in a vacuum. And they certainly cannot be earned by the deployment of the military. For example, the army isn't liked in the CHT because of rights abuses.

What does the common man care for these nebulous terms understood and appreciated only by those of us who have full bellies? Besides BD military lost it's pride when it got involved in politics in the 70's, often bloodily.

Fazal makes a valid point about who pays for these fat, inefficient, corrupt and overly politicised military officers (although I suppose there are some dedicated and public spirited individuals as well) to swan around in their Toyotas. In many ways we who live abroad do through remmittances, investment and payment of taxes in Bangladesh. Sylhetis chief amongst them. I would hope that the bulk of this money went to poverty reduction measures rather than maintaining the luxurious lifestyles of the military elite (I guess a few of these and their relatives are on this site).

Personally, I think it is haram for the government to basically take food from the mouth of the poorest in society to maintain an colonial-era institution overly representative only of the middle and upper classes. Help where help is needed the most.
Old November 16, 2006, 02:34 AM
Banned

Yo, Sylheti:

Ahem...trying to get your attention again: Could please add another option, "Bangladesh government should increase to a much bigger defense budget" to your poll, so a LOT of us can vote? Please?
Old November 16, 2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
... Personally, I think it is haram for the government to basically take food from the mouth of the poorest in society to maintain an colonial-era institution overly representative only of the middle and upper classes. Help where help is needed the most.
Hmmm ... All this 'halal', 'haram' and 'colonial-era institution' drive me to think, who would be benefited if army get dumped? And what is External threat to us? and what is 'internal' threat to us? How exactly we will be benefited by dumping them ( more or less )? very fishy I guess.

Btw, 2 of us voted for "BD doesn't need a military bigger than Habiganj thana police-we don't need a military" LOL! Like to hear why and how they think so!
Old November 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Hmm.. why Habiganj thana police and why not sunamgonj thana police??

On a serious note, please read the history of Sikkim and Kashmir and then repost the poll question.
Old November 16, 2006, 07:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Sylheti bhai, in other thread you mentioned your loyality to UK. So better concentrate how they manage their budget. Whether they should go for Tri-dent or not.
You mentioned about CHT. If army was not there, by this time it would have been a protectored of India. To me, it is wear, as a Bangladeshi I could not settle in a part of my country but any Chakma could settle any part of Bangladeh. This BullSh*** media also tried to justify those demand.
HB forgot to mention one think, army is now the second major export earning source of Bangladesh.
I have two questions to you
1. Did you took those rationed food which they sell in Black market?
2. If you so concerned about wastage of money why you took the benefit.
Old November 16, 2006, 08:23 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitler
Arey Hatebreed bhai, desher manushe khiate pare na, military der ki khawabe?

Its a pity our country contributed so much in those screwed up places around the world, yet we dont have any security in our own backyard.

Its time the army was restored to law and order in our own home.
There is a good side to it, foreign participation keeps them away, or should I say 'unspoiled' by corrupt politics at home. There is always a risk, you know that don't you?
Old November 16, 2006, 09:30 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Sylheti, let me break it down to you.

"Sovereignty, pride and territotrial integrity do not occur in a vacuum. And they certainly cannot be earned by the deployment of the military."

No they don't pop out of thin air, unless you missed something called "Liberation War 1971", i.e. when Bangladesh was liberated. That's how we "earned" our sovereignty and territorial integrity as a free nation. The goal of the armed forces is to "protect" that pride and our rights to freedom. So why should it be "earned" again unless I missed a headline "[INSERT YOUR VILLAGE] INVADES BANGLADESH".

The army isn't liked in the CHT because of rights abuses.

The army isn't liked by who? What abuses? Give me source, give me information on victims. Let's compare!

Besides BD military lost it's pride when it got involved in politics in the 70's, often bloodily.

Welcome to the past. So what's your point? Feel free to elaborate on your meaning of this "lost pride", what precise "bloody" involvements you speak of, whether or not you condemn them, and if so why? Also what does it have to do with current military expenditure, and so forth.

Fazal makes a valid point about who pays for these fat, inefficient, corrupt and overly politicised military officers (although I suppose there are some dedicated and public spirited individuals as well) to swan around in their Toyotas.

No, Fazal merely gave his opinion that he would rather not have his share of income spent on things that he doesn't directly benefit from, just like any average taxpayer. I don't enjoy the fact I have to pay tax for UK's welfare system that gives benefits to lazy people, many of whom are fraud and regrettably Bangladeshis.. but that's how the system works. So like he said, wherever else the money comes from or goes to is none of his business. You just added up your own BS to spice up your agenda, about fat military officers, Toyota cars (hey why not BMWs?), blah blah, birds can fly, Sylheti is a language, etc. Newsflash: no army is holy, live with it!
Old November 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

the ration they giv to us are not good. the rice is full of worms and the dals are full of stones.
Old November 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Yo, Sylheti:

Ahem...trying to get your attention again: Could please add another option, "Bangladesh government should increase to a much bigger defense budget" to your poll, so a LOT of us can vote? Please?
I honestly didn't think anyone was [edited] enough to insist that Bangladesh, one of the poorest countries in the world, should waste even more money. I still don't. It's like a begger running after a BMW. lol

Most probably the Dhakaiya nature of this forum and blowback from my earlier Sylheti offensives. Besides first generation immigrants tend to be overly zealous in their misguided attempt at maintaining links with the 'motherland'. Despite the fact they have left of their own choice. In addition, I suspect that we have a few adherants of the AL/BNP criminal cliques here, and these ppl always believe in maintaining the military in order to underpin their rule. Even if, as a fighting force, the forces are pretty useless.

Last edited by reverse_swing; November 16, 2006 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: mod.edit
Old November 16, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Personally, I think it is haram for the government to basically take food from the mouth of the poorest in society to maintain an colonial-era institution overly representative only of the middle and upper classes. Help where help is needed the most.
1st, you have moved away from the Armed forces to Govt. Keep the discussion where you started.

2nd, labeling "haram" needs references that ends up with the Quran. I don't see any. Are you a religious "Alem" too? In that case, it is doublely required for you to mention references. We tend to over use words that we don't understand.

3rd, $200 mill in remittance can be subtracted from the $900 Mill you have mentioned. Are you happy now? (See Hatebreed's post) Not to mention the price of saving lives in any natural disaster we have.

4th, those who protect the country with life should be previliged. How hard it is for you to understand my brother? Every country or nation, present or past, have/had enjoyed it (except the true Islamic nation in the time of prophet (PBUH) and his Khalifa where every citizen has that responsibility of protecting their nation). Since BD is not a true Islamic state in any form or fashion, why can't they enjoy the little things that they have.

For corporations CEOs, businesses or in some cases Govt. can right off dinners, as misc expenses, can right off personal travel expenses as "travel expenses". It only becomes a problem when BD millitary uses there vehicles for personal use. What makes you thing your cousins borrowing the millitary car is not documented? The oil that was burnt is unpaid for? Every detailed misc. expenses for millitary is transparent as water. Ask your cousin before you post in a public forum and ask for blood.

Our millitary is not that rich to give every officer a car for personal use. That is why they have created a system where from a pool of car they can book in advance and get to point B from point A. Those are small privileges they enjoy. If you are jealous, I suggest go join the armed force. I can garantee,living in UK your system won't be able to digest the "saul" and "dail" they furbish. The only option you will have then is to sell it to the market (black market if you are money hungry).
Old November 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

BD military is one of the most efficient organizations we have in BD amidst all the corruptions, it is the army who does most of the hard work when in natural disaster or election, BD police is one of the worst of the world, I wonder why not try to change BD police instead of Army
Old November 16, 2006, 03:58 PM
Cricket Legend

you know the car pool aint free. u hav to pay for every mile u go or something like that. but its true that the senior officers get the cars most of the time. ahhhhhhh memories. i loved those army jeeps.