facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: As a struggling developing nation, what are your opinions about military expenditure?
The BD government should reduce the amount it spends on the armed forces 3 15.79%
The BD government should continue with military expenditure at current levels 12 63.16%
BD doesn't need a military bigger than Habiganj thana police-we don't need a military 4 21.05%
I have no particular opinion on this matter 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16, 2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
... Besides first generation immigrants tend to be overly zealous in their misguided attempt at maintaining links with the 'motherland'. Despite the fact they have left of their own choice. In addition, I suspect that we have a few adherants of the AL/BNP criminal cliques here, and these ppl always believe in maintaining the military in order to underpin their rule. Even if, as a fighting force, the forces are pretty useless.
Purely an imaginary version of above quote ... those bold part has been changed.

... Besides second generation immigrants tend to be overly insecure in their misguided attempt at maintaining 'identity'. Despite the fact neither they become 'foreigner' ( but in paper ), nor they like to be called as his 'root'. In addition, I suspect that we have a few adherents of Paki kind of 'Muslim identity' cliques, and these ppl always believe in maintaining the Muslim brotherhood in order to underpin their rule and identity crisis. Even if, as a fighting force ( army ), the forces are pretty useless, but become a damn obstacle on their way.

Old November 17, 2006, 05:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Sylheti Bhai,
i know as a government officer, I am entitled to avail any car from car pool for my personal use. Depending upon the size of carpool, rank I would get the car. It does not matter whether I have good connection in car pool or not. The only thing if you have good connection is that you could get your prefered driver.
Like Billah bhai, I also want you add the option to increase budget. That means at least three votes (Billah bhai, HB bhai and I) compare to your one vote (i presume) for reduction.
Last time I checked, I am mentally and physically fit. But I think you check your mental health not because you voted for reduction of military budget but for finding dhakaiya consipiricy in every thing
Old November 17, 2006, 03:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

i wanted to vote to increase the budget but since it wasnt there....
anyway i think there are more important things to worry about rite now
Old November 18, 2006, 01:58 PM
Cricket Sage

I think adding more fund for the army doesn't mean it will make it a stronger organization. The main issue is how we are spending that money? Just look at the news

Quote:
Bangladesh Navy is procuring Tk 1.5 crore worth of spare parts for its six high-speed boats for an exorbitant Tk 6.19 crore violating rules and bypassing the director general of defence purchase (DGDP), sources said.

On November 5, based on a restricted tender the Naval Store Sub-Depot (NSSD) issued three separate work orders for spares for these speedboats. Two of these work orders worth Tk 2.66 crore and Tk 3.42 crore were issued to one firm -- AJA International -- and the other worth of Tk 11 lakh to a firm -- Habib Enterprise.

Sources said while the price of Tk 6.19 crore itself is highly inflated, it includes import duty and taxes to be payable to Bangladesh. But these will not be paid to Bangladesh as the goods will be delivered in Sudan this month and in January.

Navy sources said actual price of the spare parts would be Tk 1.5 crore, and even if taxes are included, the price would be around Tk 4 crore.

The deal was pushed by a relative of the immediate past prime minister along with a former political appointee of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO).

One of the in the deal includes a former official of the PMO during the Awami League (AL) rule. He was included as a 'future strategy'. In case the AL returns to power in the next elections and starts punishing those involved in corruption in naval procurements, he would 'save' them. The suppliers who were given the job do not include names of any of these beneficiaries.
Just look at just one (out of many) corruption. And just see how they are including the army, the government party and the oppoenet party (in case they come to power).

Like anywhere in Bangladesh we have very little accountability how they are using the the money, and therefore a significant chunk of money goes to individual pockets instead.
Old November 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I think adding more fund for the army doesn't mean it will make it a stronger organization. The main issue is how we are spending that money? Just look at the news

Just look at just one (out of many) corruption. And just see how they are including the army, the government party and the oppoenet party (in case they come to power).

Like anywhere in Bangladesh we have very little accountability how they are using the the money, and therefore a significant chunk of money goes to individual pockets instead.
Yes, but Fazal, this news comes from the propaganda machine, anti-Bangladeshi, India-loving, fag-faced stinker Mahbub Anam's দুঃ সংবাদ পত্র Daily Star. Who else, in the newspaper world of Bangladesh works so hard for the India lobby? Can we rely on this sinky garbage to bad mouth our military procurement process?
Old November 18, 2006, 09:34 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:

If I've read the article correctly I don't see any mention of the "Army", please enlighten me.
Allocating more budget doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be spend correctly, especially in a country as corrupt as ours. A few corrupt entities don’t make an entire organisation corrupt, neither justify the money isn't required. That’s why we need a transparent system in place to ascertain these illegal transactions and the people accountable.
Old November 18, 2006, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Hatebreed:
You are right, no mention of Army but Navy. But does it really matter? As I said, its just an example. If it happends in Navy (if the news is right) most likely the situation will also be same in Army also.

And yes I agree with you 100%, "That’s why we need a transparent system in place to ascertain these illegal transactions and the people accountable"

Billah:
You raised another valid issue i.e. the validity of the news. I can neither validate nor invalidate the news as published in the Daily News, except for take the face value of it. Beacause I don't have any more inside information regarding that news.

My guess is, if its false, the the Navy should protest the news with their own briefing and further more ask for apology from the Daily Star or else take legal action. Unless they do that, atleast for me, I guess I have to believe that it may have some truth in it. However, I understand each invidual have to use their own judgement in this kind of matters.
Old November 18, 2006, 10:48 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
You are right, no mention of Army but Navy. But does it really matter? As I said, its just an example. If it happends in Navy (if the news is right) most likely the situation will also be same in Army also.
It probably is, but we can't relate corruption and “armed forces” with Army only.

I personally think corruption exists a little more in the Air Force and Navy than the Army, but let’s not overlook our beloved Police force. We both know what they can do but I don’t see too many people here demand something to be done about THEIR expenditure or THEIR corrupt members and officials, who rip off and abuse the poorest of the poor on an everyday basis. People suffer so much at their hands, and here we are discussing why our military should be reduced to the size of a VILLAGA THANA. How absurd!

As far as I’m concerned the Army is at least doing their jobs right with dignity. It’s a disgrace trying to justify their expenditure should be reduced while our incompetent Police and politicians are the biggest causes of our social and economic instability. So the only thing we need to reduce right now is corruption and double standards.
Old November 18, 2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hatebreed:

And yes I agree with you 100%, "That’s why we need a transparent system in place to ascertain these illegal transactions and the people accountable"

Billah:
You raised another valid issue i.e. the validity of the news. I can neither validate nor invalidate the news as published in the Daily News, except for take the face value of it. Beacause I don't have any more inside information regarding that news.

My guess is, if its false, the the Navy should protest the news with their own briefing and further more ask for apology from the Daily Star or else take legal action. Unless they do that, atleast for me, I guess I have to believe that it may have some truth in it. However, I understand each invidual have to use their own judgement in this kind of matters.
So, you are saying, even though this rubbish newspaper has an established track record of spreading anti-Bangladeshi propaganda, we should still take their garbage at "face value". Isn't it like actually validating the rubbish?

If you take this argument a step further, we would have to belive another Daily Star propaganda that selling our sovereignity to eendia would be a sound economic policy. Daily star has been pushing this agenda for a while now, give in to eendian pressure, and let them move their stuff through the middle of our country for free. This will start a golden age in our economy ! Everyone will be rich then, milk and honey will flow, we will all drive mercedes benzes. They often arrange "round tables" to promote this.

So, since you probably do not have any data to prove otherwise, will you subscribe to the noble idea above also?

Just wondering.
Old November 19, 2006, 01:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
As far as I’m concerned the Army is at least doing their jobs right with dignity. It’s a disgrace trying to justify their expenditure should be reduced while our incompetent Police and politicians are the biggest causes of our social and economic instability. So the only thing we need to reduce right now is corruption and double standards.
Sorry I failed to understand why its disgrace if someone think Army expenditure should be reduced. Just beacuse other sector is more corrupted doesn't mean that we ignore corroption in Army or Navy sector (if corru[tion exixts, which is most liekly). And its just one side of the opnion of the whole spectrum, you don't need to agree...

... but failed to under stand why its so disgrace... looks like you are trying to play the Bush's patriotic card game to shut down other opinion than any thing else... and if thats true... ist really sad as its comming from you.

Last edited by Fazal; November 19, 2006 at 02:10 AM..
Old November 19, 2006, 01:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
So, since you probably do not have any data to prove otherwise, will you subscribe to the noble idea above also?
Billah bhai, not trying to justify Fazal bhai's thoughts, but I think he makes a valid point. BD defence is extremely powerful, and any newspaper trying to make false claims about the defence will eventually be in trouble. But here's what's more important. You mentioned about Daily Star...and if the stories in Daily Star are not in other newspapers, average citizens like us are left with no other alternative than personal judgement. You have to understand one thing here. The amount of alternative media sources in BD is limited...and we're the direct victims of these oligopolistic (or even sometimes monopolistic) media sources.
Old November 19, 2006, 02:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

So, you are saying, even though this rubbish newspaper has an established track record of spreading anti-Bangladeshi propaganda, we should still take their garbage at "face value". Isn't it like actually validating the rubbish?
Again, just because you consider TheDailyStar as rubbish newspaper doesn't mean that I need to believe the same. Now I understand that all major Bangladeshi newspaper, including theDailyStar, once in a while publish twisted news. For you it may be easy to pre-judge the news because you already termed the newspaper as rubbish. For me, its not, as I don't have the same prejudged opinion about this newspaper. Actually this is one of the few newspapers that I regurlary read.

So how do I judge a news? Is there any collaborating or conflicting news about that from any other source... ... if there is none... then I take it as its face value as a starting point and adjust my opinion as event flows. Why?

In every civilized world, you have civil system and judicial system to protest and clear your name accused by the newspaper, specially government officers and Organization. Now lets see if Navy protest this news with some counter facts or even are they planning to sue the news-paper? If they do... I can give benefit of doubt to the Navy in this case.... if they don't then I will assume there are some truth in this story.

This is the way I use any news from any major Bangladeshi news media... and this is the way I will continue to do so.... and thats the way it help me to keep a open mind in every issue, including this one.

Last edited by Fazal; November 19, 2006 at 02:37 AM..
Old November 19, 2006, 03:27 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Sorry I failed to understand why its disgrace if someone think Army expenditure should be reduced. Just beacuse other sector is more corrupted doesn't mean that we ignore corroption in Army or Navy sector (if corru[tion exixts, which is most liekly). And its just one side of the opnion of the whole spectrum, you don't need to agree...

... but failed to under stand why its so disgrace... looks like you are trying to play the Bush's patriotic card game to shut down other opinion than any thing else... and if thats true... ist really sad as its comming from you.
I already acknowledged there is corruption in armed forces at varied extent, we agreed on a transparent account system to prevent corruption. I fail to understand how am I ignoring or disagreeing with anything?

Sorry, but you misinterpreted me through and through. I’m not blocking anyone’s opinion, but rather condemning what’s clearly double standard. There is no consistent evidence to suggest the current military expenditure is excessive or even the cause of corruption. To justify it is a “waste” or "haram" by using the country’s existing social/economic instability as an excuse is ridiculous. You’ve got enough brains to figure out who or what really causes this social, economic instability, political mayhem and ultimately corruption. Why do we ignore that none of this should exist in the first place? If you truly agree the corruption people suffer from our country's politicians and law enforcement is severe, why should the military be asked to compromise their expenditure to prove their “holiness”, when we receive and WASTE billions of dollars in loans and aids! Where does all that money go? May be it's all media propaganda huh?

Bangladesh isn’t suffering from military dictation, not yet, so they are the least of our worries compared to the everyday corruption and political chaos people put up with everyday. Likewise, you don't need to agree.

You have seriously misunderstood me as "Bush" playing his tricks, it's really sad that its coming from you of all people.

Last edited by Hatebreed; November 19, 2006 at 03:36 AM..
Old November 19, 2006, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again, just because you consider TheDailyStar as rubbish newspaper doesn't mean that I need to believe the same. Now I understand that all major Bangladeshi newspaper, including theDailyStar, once in a while publish twisted news. For you it may be easy to pre-judge the news because you already termed the newspaper as rubbish. For me, its not, as I don't have the same prejudged opinion about this newspaper. Actually this is one of the few newspapers that I regurlary read.
Actually, I can prove to you that Daily Star is actively involved in lobbying pro-India agenda, and in anti-Bangladeshi propaganda. For that, we don't have to go to a secret source or evesdrop on any conversation. We can just take any volume of their daily published paper on the net, and point out these propaganda.

So, here's my proposal to you: Let's look through the Daily Star for the last 30 days, and point out at least 10 pieces that are either blatantly anti-Bangladeshi or blatantly twisting the truth to benefit their benefactors. We can do the same with the future 30 volumes of this newspaper. With Daily Star, deliberate anti-Bangladeshi propaganda is as certain as that. Whad'ya say Fazal? We can open a special thread and monitor them for this kinda garbage for the next 30 days. At the end, may be I will be able to convince you that DS is involved in bad mouthing your motherland. Hey, may be I have been wrong about them all along. In that case, I will change my views about the paper.

Should we go for it?
Old November 19, 2006, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

billah, I don't know whether some newspaper are anti-Bangladesh or pron-Indian, or pro-Pakistani. I want to know more about how ' a vanga suitcase bacame billion billioner in 20 years', 'how S. F. Rahman became adviser after paralyzing the bank (defaulter) system and pocketing billions by destroying the capital market', 'how aborodh affects Mercentile bank', 'how a waiter of Purbani hotel became media tycoon in 15 years', how Harbin get every contract despite having the example of Tongi power plant', and many more.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

It doesn't make any sense to have an army in this age in any country. It is no longer an necessary evil now, it has become unnecessary evil (aka plain evil). The police is now the necessary evil. Hopefully the day of maintaining an army will gradually become a thing of past, like the days of invading and conquering neighbour countries are almost a thing of past now.

Of course we don't need an army. But we can't abolish our existing army within a couple of years (if we decide to do it). First of all, we need to stop new recruits. Then we should compensate current army members (full salary) for a reasonably long period of time for their loss of job, and provide the senior members the post-retirement period benefits. We could give army members priority to get a job in law enforcement department. Spending the saved budget in law enforcement department will be a much more productive use of money.
Old November 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Regarding possible corruption within the armed forces, I have to question the tendency of high ranking army officers sending their children to study at Universities in Britain.
A couple of years ago, I attended the ‘Shornali Shondha’ event held by the Kings College Bangladesh Society and organised amongst others by my brother. I sat behind a group of six gentlemen who from their introductions were the sons of army generals and colonels. In short, military families. They were foreign students studying at KCL and UCL

Can anybody in the know please confirm the average pay of Bangladeshi army officers? I have doubts whether they are (officially and legally) paid well enough to be able to send their children abroad, paying course fees and accommodation amounting to over £20,000 annually. Are there subsidies for military families and are these available to students whose families are from the civilian sector? I personally think this feeds into the unaccountability of the armed forces with regards misappropriation of public funds and the lack of scrutiny of the armed forces for fear of being labelled ‘traitors’ by right wing elements connected to the establishment.
Ps. Don’t bother to shout me down as an ‘Indian Zionist anti-Bangladeshi traitor’ or some such other nonsense for questioning the armed forces. I have never held Bangladeshi citizenship and do not envision doing so in the future. Therefore, I can hardly be a ‘traitor’ in the Bangladeshi context.
Old November 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
You’ve got enough brains to figure out who or what really causes this social, economic instability, political mayhem and ultimately corruption. Why do we ignore that none of this should exist in the first place?
Well then let us try to use our brain cells then... Can you tell me who are the politicans now a days comapred to 30 years ago? 30 years ago, it used to be a... (good or bad) a 100% politicans and then there were other professionals.

But now... most of these top level politicians are comming from business man, ex-beuracrats, ex-military man. And just check, who are the most corrupted ministers and law makers out of them? Guess what, most of them are businessman to politicians, beuracrats to politicians and military man to politicians. Plus if you check the big shots (i,e, chairmans) of different government organization... you will see lots of them from ex-military, and they are as much corrupted as the rest.

So who are we kidding our selves when we are saying its all politians fault? Its the whole society's fault. And who are we kidding our sellves when we try to justify that some how if Military is less corrupted then police or politicians, some how we shouldn't point out corruption in military? Its the same old logic... "X is less evil than Y... so some how X shouldn't be criticized"... which doesn't fly in my logic.

Last edited by Fazal; November 19, 2006 at 12:44 PM..
Old November 19, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

So, here's my proposal to you: Let's look through the Daily Star for the last 30 days, and point out at least 10 pieces that are either blatantly anti-Bangladeshi or blatantly twisting the truth to benefit their benefactors. We can do the same with the future 30 volumes of this newspaper. With Daily Star, deliberate anti-Bangladeshi propaganda is as certain as that. Whad'ya say Fazal? We can open a special thread and monitor them for this kinda garbage for the next 30 days. At the end, may be I will be able to convince you that DS is involved in bad mouthing your motherland. Hey, may be I have been wrong about them all along. In that case, I will change my views about the paper.

Should we go for it?

Thanks but no thanks. Why? One thing is clear to me, from other discussion, what is
"anti-Bangladeshi propaganda" to you will most liekly will not be "anti-Bangladeshi propaganda" to me. And we will continue to argue about that instead. Obviously you have a clear criteria what constitute "anti-Bangladeshi propaganda" and I have my own...the difference between your and mine is like north pole and south pole...you cannot change mine... and I cannot change yours... so whats the point? For example, we stand completely opposite view in 'Ship-breaking industry', 'Kansat', 'Unrest in Garment Industry', etc.

To me just to critisize government or BNP government or write government corruption doesn't falls under "anti-Bangladeshi propaganda" in my standard. Its just help us retify our selves to be a better. Plus I cannot so easlity and casually accuse anyone one (i.e. the DailyStar, AL, or some one I don't agree with, etc) as anti-Bangladeshi as you do.

So thanks for the offer, but thanks but no thanks... I can better utilize my time reading some interesting blogs like dristipath instead, speacilly during this election year. Those discussion stimulate me more in soacial issues.

Last edited by Fazal; November 19, 2006 at 12:47 PM..
Old November 19, 2006, 01:54 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Yes, but Fazal, this news comes from the propaganda machine, anti-Bangladeshi, India-loving, fag-faced stinker Mahbub Anam's দুঃ সংবাদ পত্র Daily Star. Who else, in the newspaper world of Bangladesh works so hard for the India lobby? Can we rely on this sinky garbage to bad mouth our military procurement process?
Quote:

So how do I judge a news? Is there any collaborating or conflicting news about that from any other source... ... if there is none... then I take it as its face value as a starting point and adjust my opinion as event flows. Why?

In every civilized world, you have civil system and judicial system to protest and clear your name accused by the newspaper, specially government officers and Organization. Now lets see if Navy protest this news with some counter facts or even are they planning to sue the news-paper? If they do... I can give benefit of doubt to the Navy in this case.... if they don't then I will assume there are some truth in this story.
Here goes the credibility of Daily Star..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Star
Correction
The Daily Star's yesterday's report headlined "Navy flouts rules in boat spares deal" contained some factual errors.

It said that the six naval high-speed boats were delivered in Bangladesh upon purchase. Actually those were delivered in Sudan upon procurement in foreign currency through an open international tender.

The story also mentioned that the naval chief approved procurement of spare parts worth Tk 70 lakh in the first tender in May last. Actually the second tender had the approval for parts worth Tk 75 lakh. The first tender did not even have any financial approval.
We regret the errors
Yet another propoganda ??

How come Daily Star published such a story in the front page without necessary verification??

Too much boozed in supporting BAL and allies against BNP and allies
Old November 19, 2006, 02:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Here goes the credibility of Daily Star..

Originally Posted by Daily Star Correction
The Daily Star's yesterday's report headlined "Navy flouts rules in boat spares deal" contained some factual errors.

It said that the six naval high-speed boats were delivered in Bangladesh upon purchase. Actually those were delivered in Sudan upon procurement in foreign currency through an open international tender.

The story also mentioned that the naval chief approved procurement of spare parts worth Tk 70 lakh in the first tender in May last. Actually the second tender had the approval for parts worth Tk 75 lakh. The first tender did not even have any financial approval.
We regret the errors

Thnaks Miraz for the followup information. Thats exactly I was talking about and looking about before changing my opinion, Only protest by Navy and apology by news-papar is the way to go to dispute wrong info. Now this follow-up actions makes the news less credible. And its only possible because ,looks like they may followed due process disputing the news.

For any other cases... unless we do the same.... we cannot just cry foul play and don't follow the due process.
Old November 19, 2006, 06:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Well then let us try to use our brain cells then... Can you tell me who are the politicans now a days comapred to 30 years ago? 30 years ago, it used to be a... (good or bad) a 100% politicans and then there were other professionals.

But now... most of these top level politicians are comming from business man, ex-beuracrats, ex-military man. And just check, who are the most corrupted ministers and law makers out of them? Guess what, most of them are businessman to politicians, beuracrats to politicians and military man to politicians. Plus if you check the big shots (i,e, chairmans) of different government organization... you will see lots of them from ex-military, and they are as much corrupted as the rest.

So who are we kidding our selves when we are saying its all politians fault? Its the whole society's fault. And who are we kidding our sellves when we try to justify that some how if Military is less corrupted then police or politicians, some how we shouldn't point out corruption in military? Its the same old logic... "X is less evil than Y... so some how X shouldn't be criticized"... which doesn't fly in my logic.
this was not about criticizing in the first place, this is about why we should be made into lamb to the slaughters by having no military at all and that thought scares me. ( Though we are still lambs, but with still machine guns ).
Old November 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Okay, so far we've seen lots and lots of example for corruption by some of our fellow countryman. It doesn't matter wheather he is a politician or a policeman . The thing is we have to find out is how to prevent those things happenning again. How to stop politicians from getting the advantages or how to prevent a police officer from taking bribe, thats the million dollar question?

In order to find a solution there is one thing should be done at first. And that is law and order. It may sound simple for a country like America or Japan, but for us that is unimaginable. The main concern is we have too much population living in such a confined space and most of them live in below poverty limit. The competition is huge for just only to survive. If there is no right way left for someone, then people starts to look at the wrong way. Well, who doesn't want to live a better life when they've the opportunity. Although we should recognise the wrong doing, we must place a practical system that will prevent it to happen again.
Old November 19, 2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
Ps. Don’t bother to shout me down as an ‘Indian Zionist anti-Bangladeshi traitor’ or some such other nonsense for questioning the armed forces. I have never held Bangladeshi citizenship and do not envision doing so in the future. Therefore, I can hardly be a ‘traitor’ in the Bangladeshi context.
Not even a BD citizen, nor even has intention to be so in future, but yet questioning whether BD 'need a military bigger than Habiganj thana police-we don't need a military'!! Why care this nonsense in the first place?

Last edited by PoorFan; November 20, 2006 at 01:18 AM..
Old November 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:

Fazal bhai, you lost me this time. I don't see anyone is denying there is no corruption in the military and that it shouldn’t be dealt with. I simply denounced the plain absurdity of suggesting our armed forces expenditure should be reduced because some morons think it is pointless and a "waste". There are people out there are dying of poverty, getting beaten up, getting killed, can’t go to their work, forced to pay, there is no law & order, no justice, and here we are blaming it on "corrupt" military. Do you reckon reducing their budget will solve the problem? If a lousy $900m is all it takes to make Bangladesh rid of social/economical instability, then why not!

We are only good at criticising and pointing the finger, but when it comes to taking action we blame something else, like the military or SOCIETY for example. OF COURSE! You are stating the obvious, because we all know corruption exists at some level anywhere in Bangladesh. So tell us what you think should be done?

Now you are also generalising that because "most politicians" are ex-businessmen, bureaucrats and "military men" and they must all be corrupt. We are back to square one, because they are POLITICIANS nonetheless. I fail to see what it has to do with corruption within our armed forces?

Let's focus on that, and assume that all these 'military convert politicians' you speak of are "corrupt". Were they corrupt during their services to the military? Do you have any evidence, now that your DS article is not-so-credible? Does becoming a politician automatically make a military man (or any man for that matter), his past, present and future corrupt? On what basis did you come up with this conclusion? Does the act of an 'EX'-military current POLITICIAN make the military corrupt?

Let's criticise.