facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 24, 2013, 08:00 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Calculated assault vs. slogging

There are only a handful number of batsmen in the world who can launch a calculated attack when needed. In a calculated assault, you have to target the weaker bowlers and bad deliveries, unlike in blind slogging. In the Bangladesh team, only Nasir can do this somewhat effectively, IMHO. What do you think?

Old May 24, 2013, 08:21 AM

It has been said that Donald George Bradman could hit a boundary of any ball. (Since I have not bowled against him, I don't know how true this is.) Captains seldom moved a fielder in the middle of an over against him. Why? Because the next ball would go where the fielder was before being moved. Of the batsmen I watched, only Gavaskar had this ability to some extent. However, he could not play strokes much of his career because of lack of quality batsmen in the team. Anyone else saw his assault on Ian Chatfield? That was a calculated assault with straight bat!
Old May 24, 2013, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

A certain guy named Bevan comes to my mind
Old May 24, 2013, 10:49 AM

Here is an example of a calculated assault: Hodge does it with low back lift and small sixes.

Gayle's assault in BPL 2 also comes to mind. Although he hit six after six, none appeared forced.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Cricket Sage

... and all those time I thought its the same... only difference is a player being lucky or unlucky with the shot.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
... and all those time I thought its the same... only difference is a player being lucky or unlucky with the shot.
Sound like

Ashraful
Old May 24, 2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
If you play a high-percentage shot, you'll be lucky more often. Certain players in the team cannot grasp this.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

the six sixes ..... that yuvraj hit against broad ........ none of them were slogs. everyball ...... yuvraj picked the length and line and picked his spot and executed the shot.

yuvraj at his prime, never needed to slog, once he had his eyes in, he just picked the right ball and bang.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:12 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
the six sixes ..... that yuvraj hit against broad ........ none of them were slogs. everyball ...... yuvraj picked the length and line and picked his spot and executed the shot.

yuvraj at his prime, never needed to slog, once he had his eyes in, he just picked the right ball and bang.
I would have enjoyed that over a lot more had it not been for Ravi Shastri getting excited and making it awful.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I dont like the use of the word "calculated assault". Not everyone can choose when to hit a boundary. It's not as simple. If you are trying to hit particular ball for a boundary but miss then that kinda screws up your so called "calculated assault".
Old May 25, 2013, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

I think Mahela comes to mind for "calculated assault" it may not be at a sr of gayles but he slowly kills you like poison. His takes risks according to the field and is higly effective picking gaps consistently and hitting over the top of fielders inside the circle and it slowly takes the game away from the opposition. Love watching him play.

Bevan, Mr Cricket also come to mind.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Just look at the way Hashim Amla plays. Pushes, drives, nudges and before you know it, his strike rate is well above 100. Not that he rotates the strike too often, in his case, it has always been calculated shot-play.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old May 25, 2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
I dont like the use of the word "calculated assault". Not everyone can choose when to hit a boundary. It's not as simple. If you are trying to hit particular ball for a boundary but miss then that kinda screws up your so called "calculated assault".
In "calculated" assault, you don't play a premeditated shot. You have to take some risk, but you only go after certain bowlers and suitable deliveries. Clearly, not everyone is Don Bradman. Otherwise, too many players will average 100!
Old May 25, 2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Just look at the way Hashim Amla plays. Pushes, drives, nudges and before you know it, his strike rate is well above 100. Not that he rotates the strike too often, in his case, it has always been calculated shot-play.
Actually, I never would have thought of Amla in this regard. But, he is an amazing example. Also, he rotates strike better than almost everyone in the world.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

There are many, but Adam Gilchrist is a good example who comes to my mind at the moment.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Actually, I never would have thought of Amla in this regard. But, he is an amazing example. Also, he rotates strike better than almost everyone in the world.
What I love about Amla is "No chinta(worry), No tension approach" (He is so calm and concentrated) Virat Kohli is the opposite, it is like Fury(on opposition) ready to be unleashed. The most attractive part about Hashim Amla's game is with the relative ease he plays the game. It Looks So easy when he bats...

I can't exactly define Amla's game as "Assault", nonetheless very effective though.

Another Wonderful Quality about Hashim AMla I admire the most, I have noticed how Batsmen gets frustrated and "end of the world" type feeling kicking the ground in frustration, with Hashim Amla I remember him getting out cheaply many times against many opposition and yet he hardly has a reaction(mental toughness/ ability to accept reality and move on). Batsmen have a lot of regrets but Amla doesn't it is like he accepts responsibility for his own failure. He accepts his destiny that a certain particular innings wasn't meant to be.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The moment he walked on to the field the bowlers panicked and started their prayers. His roundhouse swinging arms (warming up) coming to the crease is legendary. Then his chewing gum - oh sh!t. He is in the mood. His confident strokes seemed like hot knife cutting through butttttaaah. Slog? What the heck is that? He defines CRICKET.

What calculation? You are going to be slaughtered which you already have accepted. The only calculation you will do is how to minimize the damage. This is way before Gayle was Gayle. - Sir Viv Richards.
+++
And before him there was another guy. Party-baz!! Shara rat dhoirey maay/drink koirey shokaley century. No one could tame this Lion. At Australia, in England .... fatai felsey. He is your original 6 sixes in a over guy. - Sir Gary Sobers.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

If Amla's game is an "Assault", then it might well be the only kind of assault that is pleasing to the eye, even to the fielding side.

Slogging: The current English T20 top order (Wright, Hales, Bairstow, Kiesweter etc)
Calculated assault: Kevin Pietersen, Dhoni, Sangakkara, Clarke etc.

Also Tendulkar in his good ol' days was the perfect example of calculated assault.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

AB De Villiers and MS Dhoni I consider to be players who dont just slog but do some dangerous calculated assault, these two in the IPL were just deadly!
Old May 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Difference between calculated assult vs slogging?

Difference between fixed game or not.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:40 PM

And there was Sir Donald Bradman. Everything said here about Sobers, the batsman, applied to Bradman and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The moment he walked on to the field the bowlers panicked and started their prayers. His roundhouse swinging arms (warming up) coming to the crease is legendary. Then his chewing gum - oh sh!t. He is in the mood. His confident strokes seemed like hot knife cutting through butttttaaah. Slog? What the heck is that? He defines CRICKET.

What calculation? You are going to be slaughtered which you already have accepted. The only calculation you will do is how to minimize the damage. This is way before Gayle was Gayle. - Sir Viv Richards.
+++
And before him there was another guy. Party-baz!! Shara rat dhoirey maay/drink koirey shokaley century. No one could tame this Lion. At Australia, in England .... fatai felsey. He is your original 6 sixes in a over guy. - Sir Gary Sobers.