facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 13, 2005, 12:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut
Default \"Best of Britain\" on CBC Television : White Teeth

"Best of Britain" is the television program of CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), whose episodes 3 and 4 were shown on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 at 11.45 PM (ET), is based on Zadie Smith's 2000 bestseller - White Teeth, about the perils of cultural assimilation in modern day North London. Taking place in the years 1974 to 1992 and set in the melting-pot community of Willesden Green, the story focuses on three different families, one of which finds its background in Bangladesh.

The movie White Teeth, originally released in 2002, features Om Puri, Philip Davis, Naomie Harris, Geraldine James, Robert Bathurst, Christopher Simpson.

Please post your comments or reaction if you happened to have watched the above-mentioned program.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 6:29 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.
Reason: time zone specified

Old July 13, 2005, 01:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Are there more episodes to go? ...and if so, when? I wonder if it's on now. Actually, it's 11.07pm here on the West Coast. Maybe I can catch it.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Hey Everyone, I just looked and it's on CBC at 11.25pm on the West Coast as I thought. Anyone on the west coast can watch it. Lets watch it so we can post comments and reactions for Master Blaster. I'll be back here after the show with my comments MasterBlaster.
Old July 13, 2005, 03:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Very interesting show. I wish I had watched it from episodes 1 and 2. Maybe there will be a repeat at somepoint.

It certainly sheds some light onto how Britain might have grown these terrorists.

Further, I have to say that I relate to this movie a lot, if I compare Communism to Islam.

Please read on before you get upset by this statement.

My father moved to Canada, with my mother, and by the time I was 13 years old, he hated it here. He wasn't happy, and complained about everything.
He said the West is awful, dirty, full of drugs, and it's the reason I turned out the way I did. He blamed Canada for everything, and said that Communism was way better than democracy.
This simply INFURIATED me because when I was young, he told me horror stories about communism, about the killings of our kulak families, and about not having any freedom. I was soooooo angry that he would talk like this now. I was down right pisseedd!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't understand it.
This just seems to me like very similar rhetoric that this boys Bangladesh father had. Similar attitudes towards his son. He lamented had he sent his other son back to Bangladesh, all would be better now. Just like my father lamented, he should never have come here. Had he sent me back home, all would have been better.

Sheesh!!
But now, at 33, years later, and after much councelling, I realize he's an immigrant, and one that failed at many things. He didn't achieve what he thought he would. And the regular individualism that all kids go through in the West to uproot themselves from their parents, is taken as disrespect and dishonour by our "old school" parents. Basically, he was depressed, sad, lonely, unhappy, and missed everything in his homeland. I think one never ever really feels at home. (there's exceptions).

In the movie, the father couldn't understand the west and the different ways, and had no tolerance for his son, wanting, essentually to be British, which is really what his son was. By Hating the British, it was like saying he hated his son. I felt it too. He told me he hated everything here. Well, Dad!!! God damn it, I grew up here now, this is my home, i went to school here, made friends here, speak the language, have the accent, watched the tv's, read the books. This is MY homeland you are condeming. Boy he'd get angry if I said that too him. A boxer from the army, chasing me around the house. I always out ran him, for his anger was so deep, if I didn't he WOULD kill me. Thank God I was quicker.

Its funny, he travels home now every year, now that its possible, wathes Czech tv on the net, is older wiser, and has a daughter and son, whom are psychologist, and understand the crazy situation we were put into. However, it doesn't always work out so good, as most immigrant families, don't talk.

I was a kid caught, like our Bangladeshi friend, in between two cultures. I kept arguing with dad, why the hell did he bring me here if its so bad, and kept arguing with him that it's not that great back home.
When I pointed out some negative things, he hit me.

At 14 I ran away, got into a bad crowd, and drugs, and hospitals, you name it. Lots of trouble. I couldn't please my father no matter what.
Had some Czech fundamentalist extremist group provided me a way out to get immediate respect and honour, I might have taken it.

Why am I drawing comparisons to myself and this movie?
For the simple fact that my ordeals, and troubles, along with all my Czech, Polish, basically all white families immigrant issues were hidden. As whites in a majority white country, it was not as seen, hence it is not talked about, and it appears like only non whites seem to have trouble, but this is an illusion my friends.
This fact, I think, makes the Muslim, Indian, Chinese, boys of these families, whom get into trouble more picked on, unfairly by news reports, media etc., or it was the case back than at least.

Basically, it portrays, multiculturalism, immigration, and western, / eastern conflicts very well.\

What can be done? Immigrants need to be more educated about where they are going, and if that is not possible, than when they are here. If they don't listen, then I don't know what can be done. I guess the first generation will always suffer.
...........and believe you me, we suffer. There are always exceptions. But I'm lucky to be alive today.
I think my brown brothers suffered more, however, by having the additional issue of being a visible minority, although, this is now not really the case in many multi-pluristic areas. In this area, it woud not be the case anymore as much, Vancouver and area. However, it was 20 yeas ago.
Great documentary

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 8:06 AM GMT, by whiteguy.
Old July 13, 2005, 05:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

'Whiteguy' no offence, but nobody has time to read that long story of yours. So try to keep it short, then some people might actually read it and that's the point. Right? Cheers.
Old July 13, 2005, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Uh, excuse me, but I read the post. I found it interesting. Keep it up, whiteguy!
Old July 13, 2005, 08:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

I guess you have the time. Keep it up whiteguy, some people need it!
Old July 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

I saw White Teeth a year or so ago. Very funny indeed.
Old July 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

All "desi" type forums, as long as you are [ ] and non-desi, you can spam around. You get treated like a king for posting useless blog posts.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 6:14 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: Sounds like polemical.
Old July 13, 2005, 11:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

But then, no one knows who is white or black or male or female online.

When a user randomly spams his thought all over the forum seeking attention, it reduces the quality of discussion.

But, if the forum is desperate to keep some [ ] l who seems to be interested in the "desi" culture, then, off course, he is welcome to make the forum his own blog post..

A worthy [ ] user is "Rob." His posts are interesting and are of quality.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 4:32 PM GMT, by dawah.tabligh.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 6:19 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: Pls try to avoid inflammatory post.
Old July 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
All "desi" type forums, as long as you are [ ] and non-desi, you can spam around. You get treated like a king for posting useless blog posts.
Kind of reminds me of the 3rd world, in particular the middle east and sub continent, and even the far east, where being caucasian gets one a much higher salary, and lenient penalties for crimes.

This racism is gradually creeping into the net as well.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 7:07 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Old July 13, 2005, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Man, you guys need to chill! Whiteguy isn't spewing racist vitriol or doing anything else that could even remotely be classified as offensive.

If he wants to share his thoughts, let him. Some of us don't complain when you bring religion into everything on this forum. As long as you exercise your right to free speech responsibly, you are allowed to speak your mind.

Don't deny other people the right to do the same. The poor guy just wanted to share his personal story with you. If you don't like it, don't read it. But to denigrate his writing just because you think his posts are too long, or because he writes too much stuff that doesn't interest you, is plain wrong.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

I believe you are referring to Dawah Bhai's comments above. I myself didnt think "his posts are too long, or because he writes too much stuff that doesn't interest you" is the reason for himgetting peeved. Read Dawah Bhai's comments carefully again.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

disappointing that only a couple posts so far actually talks about the movie itself, including "whiteguy's". What he wrote is interesting indeed. Can we not refrain from criticizing him unnecessarily and actually write something constructive of our own, and something that's about White Teeth.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Interesting ad placement
Old July 13, 2005, 01:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

ad placement ? how so ? on whose part ? Enlighten me please, newbie.
Old July 13, 2005, 02:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
ad placement ? how so ? on whose part ? Enlighten me please, newbie.
I was refering to the Ads by google that are placed on the top of the thread. For this thread it is one for an orthodontist! Can't you guys see it?
Old July 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
BC Editorial Team

MB tis the nature of the online forum that ppl will digress You can only do what you are already doing, which is provide gentle reminders that you are interested in the topic in question

Ppl who find so-and-so is spamming - let the mods figure out what's spam or not. If you don't want to read a long post - move on! No one's twisting your arms.
Old July 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
Test Cricketer

What's everyones problem? I was just sharing my difficult life as an immigrants child, and making comparisons to the movie? Have you guys even seen the movie that are critisizing me.
You sure know how to hurt I guys feelings.
I'm wasting my time sharing my soul here.
whatever&*()*%!@#$%^
Old July 13, 2005, 02:47 PM
BC Editorial Team

Mod:
Whiteguy - chill ... To put it in bangla "uttejito hobar kono proyojon nei". In the net, for anything you put out there, you'll find ppl who are appreciative, ppl who are indifferent, and ppl who are crtical. Enjoy the 1st, don't worry about the 2nd, and ignore the latter - unless they make valid points.

Myself:
I for one found your post interesting.
Old July 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
Mod:
Whiteguy - chill ......In the net, for anything you put out there, you'll find ppl who are appreciative, ppl who are indifferent, and ppl who are crtical. Enjoy the 1st, don't worry about the 2nd, and ignore the latter - unless they make valid points.
totally agree with RazabQ. Yes whiteguy, keep your cool. Stay calm and collected. This forum is one of a kind.

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
Myself:
I for one found your post interesting.
hey, you seem to have ignored my appreciation for whiteguy's post. :P In all seriousnes, I did feel it was worth reading his long-but-practical post. Knowing about others wasnt tiring this time.
Old July 13, 2005, 03:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteguy
What's everyones problem? I was just sharing my difficult life as an immigrants child, and making comparisons to the movie? Have you guys even seen the movie that are critisizing me.
whatever&*()*%!@#$%^
Sorry dude! Totaly didn't mean it that way. So I am asking for forgiveness because I said your post is too long. I offended you and I should not have done that.
Again, I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Thanks.
Old July 13, 2005, 05:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteguy
whatever&*()*%!@#$%^
Sorry dude! Totaly didn't mean it that way. So I am asking for forgiveness because I said your post is too long. I offended you and I should not have done that.
Again, I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Thanks.
It's ok. I'm being too sensitive I think...and dawah.tabligh mades everyone upset with his views, so I should know better. I guess I reallys shared from the heart, and that's when criticism hurts. I should not make my posts personal.

I forgive you Locutus. So has anyone actually seen the movie? ...and mwrkhan, what exactly was funny about the movie?
Old July 13, 2005, 07:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Funny as in humorous.
Old July 14, 2005, 03:12 PM
Test Cricketer

I found it interesting in the move that the jamaican girl (forgot names of characters) was upsed with (Mahmood, is it), that he was dating a blond girl. She got angry that he didn't want her, and went and got her hair painted blond, in an effort to make him like her more. She was upset, looking at pictures of white blond girls, etc. Yet, the white British/Russian boy wanted to date her, but she wouldn't give him the time of day.

Mahmood hated the girls new hair, and told her she's a [bad girl], and why would she ruin her beautiful curly black hair, and he tore some of her hair out? Why did he react like that? He didn't want her to act "white," yet he dated a blond white girl. Upon reflection I see some of the humour in the movie that Mr. Khan was talking about. I was taking it tooooo seriously. It actually IS quite funny.

Edited on, July 14, 2005, 8:50 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Edited on, July 14, 2005, 9:38 PM GMT, by whiteguy.
Reason: oops, bad word, now its pg. sorry parents.