facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 19, 2005, 01:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Faruque for: More involvement of the captain in team selection

As per daily star:

The chief selector also emphasised on the need for more involvement of the captain in team selection.

"I have always tried to hold informal discussions with the captain before announcing a team. But I feel he should be officially a part of the selection process. But with the Board's policy of naming the captain on a tour by tour basis, that is not possible. My suggestion is that the Board should pick a captain for a certain length of time."

Edited on, July 19, 2005, 6:16 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Old July 19, 2005, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

I think its a good idea as long as they select a captain for long term and stick with him. If they select a young player as a captain, it may be added presure for him at the begining though.
Old July 19, 2005, 01:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Bashar cant inspire da players and it shows how much leadership qualities hi has.

It aint make much difference if he is into the selection panel...

He is a silly guy..who just cant think leaving Chacha and playing the ODI's..

He thinks its Chacha's arrival that inspired the team b4 the Natwest series...
Old July 19, 2005, 03:51 PM
Test Cricketer

you're an even sillier guy. Apparently, after 238 posts you know nothing about the intricacies of the game of cricket and how hard it is for our players to play against 100 year-old teams. I detest forum members like you, who make this stupid rash comments based on their belief that cricket is a game of math just like 1 + 1 = 2.
Old July 19, 2005, 05:05 PM
BC Editorial Team

As mod:
Aosaif ... easy there. Just because you find someone's comments justifiably asinine doesn't mean you start a flame war. Attack LK's point. Don't attack him. Breathe in ... breathe out...
Old July 19, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

This is a little odd to me seeing Bashar is not the Imran Khan type of personality. I am not necessarily against him being an official part of the team selection, but the Chacha incident somewhat altered my mind about him. It may be better to leave the team selection to the selectors and stick to the current system, but that perhaps wouldn't augur well for our future. So, let us get accustomed to this system. This way the youngsters in the team will have a closer view of the team selection process as they get to mingle with the captain (and a mate) easier than they can with the selectors (who happen to be Boro Bhais). Hopefully this will make them more cautious about their individual performances, and respect the captain more since he is also a "selector".

Edited on, July 19, 2005, 10:28 PM GMT, by Carte Blanche.
Old July 19, 2005, 07:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

In the current scheme of things, I prefer that our captain stays out of selection debates. Unfortunately our game is still not professional enough yet, and getting the captain involved may open doors for favouritism, negative power politics, and take the focus away from the on-field activities. Pakistan has had first-hand experience of this in the post-Imran period.

Perhaps what would work best for us is for the selectors to have a sit-down with the captain to get his general input, but make their choice independent of the wishes of the captain.

Edited on, July 20, 2005, 12:51 AM GMT, by Zobair.
Old July 19, 2005, 08:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

how about we make chacha a selector.aosaif bhai,maf koira diyen.just could not help:P.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Captains have to be loyal to their players.

Selectors sometimes have to take older players behind the woodshed and end their careers.

tBoth these things are difficult - what if a captain wants someone dropped, and gets out-voted ... and the player hears about it ?

Australia have a tradition of over-riding what the captain wants (ie both Waughs) to renew the team in time.

So, me, I'd leave the captain out of it.

Ian Whitchurch
Old July 19, 2005, 09:53 PM
Cricket Guru

good point IanW
and overall the country like BD where policitics and selection process face emotional involvment for any actions, it will be difficult if any players become rebelious after the drop out.
it's not just selection, also players have to listen to the captain and also has to respect him, the team overall. Our players play mostly for themselvs but now team work is working better than before. But as competition arises and choices of selection increases, players tend to perform "individually". So, even Bashar with his naive characteristic might not be able to have an bully impact on players and give them instructions to play based on the game situation.

I didn't see recent matches but reading the posts over here I have a feeling he was bewildered and had no clue couple of times about changing and using bowlers. He was not even talking to the bowlers or fielders. He seemed to be waiting for "Chacha" like character to come and "boost" the moral and strength of the players when they were superseded in the test matches withing two and half days. Their confidence level was so low that we thought we will score 130 or so max. But then "Moral booster(!!!)" chacha came and according to Bashar players were very "eager" to see him. I am not enchanting Chacha's name or his performance, I am just emphasizing the presence of a person who can be like a leader, who gives "hope" for "moral boost". the way Chacha can scream at Rafique to bowl over the stamp, or scold at Tapash to bowl with line and length. Bashar might not be able to do like that. Just my opinion.
Old July 20, 2005, 02:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by aosaif
you're an even sillier guy. Apparently, after 238 posts you know nothing about the intricacies of the game of cricket and how hard it is for our players to play against 100 year-old teams. I detest forum members like you, who make this stupid rash comments based on their belief that cricket is a game of math just like 1 + 1 = 2.
Look dude...wht eva u think of me..i dont care...i know that whn i say Bashar is a silly guy ..it means he is...

I know its hard for our players to play against 100 yrs old teams but the players playing there are aint that much old....

Secondly, u seem to be in favour of Chacha....am i rong in telling that Bashar wants Chacha to be there as he cant inspire....i dont think so..u keep ur thinking in to ur self...okies...