facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 12, 2011, 06:51 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Thumbs up BD Batting vs England

For those of you not privileged to be at the ground or even be in line with the wickets, I wanted to cover off some myths about the BD batting yesterday (only).

1. We did not collapse due to stupid shots. Mushy, Roq and Naeem got world-class deliveries that undid them. Nothing they could have done about any of them - truly super deliveries.

2. Two unnecessary run outs (not stupid shots) contributed to the difficulties.

We have all spent months wanting our Top and Middle order batsmen to not lose their wickets due to reckless shots. Yesterday, Imroze, Imrul, Tamim, Roqi, Naeem and Mushy didn't.

It is always depressing for any coach (batting, bowling or fielding) if he witnesses the SAME mistakes over and over. We DID NOT see those yesterday. Instead, we had players not in a rush, with plenty of overs in hand and scoring at around 4 an over for the most part. Bresnan and Shahzad bowled well and turned the screw.

Instead we saw REAL GUTS from Ryad to come in under pressure of a recall and bat with such authority and calmness. And of course the totally unexpected amazing knock by Shafiul, who is fast becoming one of our most reliable performers in the team.

England were TOTALLY outplayed the entire match save for those clatter of BD wickets in the middle, due to an inspired Shahzad spell, when they had the best chance to defend their total. But BD deserved the win and it would have been a travesty had we not won it.

Criticism is justified and fair where it is correct. Yesterday, I thought we did pretty much everything right in the field and then showed why cricket in BD is vastly improved in recent times. We won a tight match AGAIN, without choking, and against a TOP 4 team as well.

Last edited by Ian Pont; March 12, 2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old March 12, 2011, 06:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Right on the money, Ian. Except those two "senseless" runouts they boys played like men. Shahzad was truly inspired when he got those wickets. Great cricket match.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Very well said Ian, people keeps blaming Nayeem/Mushy for getting out at such a crucial stage. But the balls they got were unplayable, those deliveries will get any batsman out, any day, any where.

But still, the inability to rotate strike and getting bogged down under pressure was a bit painful to watch.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I still think Rok could be a little swift in his response. Other than that thanks for the analysis.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Thanks Ian.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
Cricket Guru

The only blemish, perhaps, the Shakib's wicket. Not impressed at all with his shot selection at THAT time. Having said that, Rahim did bog down. But, the captain should have kept his cool.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:08 AM

Congrats Ian for a great win.

Junaid seems low in confidence lately. Are you thinking to replace him with Nafees?
Old March 12, 2011, 07:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Excellent Excellent Analysis!

I felt almost the same away about the proceedings of the match, with one disclaimer maybe--Mushi may have wasted too many balls when he came in which put unnecessary pressure on Shakib
Old March 12, 2011, 07:12 AM

Please guys.. i know you keep saying 'so and so' got bogged down or used up deliveries, but we ONLY wanted 4 an over not 10 and over. The batters are trying to learn to score runs without slogging. England had an inspired 10 overs in the third quarter of our innings. They are allowed to. They are a Top 4 ranked team.

Shakib also got tied up at that time, too, and he is our best player when it comes to keeping runs flowing.

Cut the batters some slack. If you are only going to be satisfied with a 'perfect' batting display then you are going to be constantly disappointed.

Last edited by Ian Pont; March 12, 2011 at 07:21 AM..
Old March 12, 2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Please guys.. i know you keep saying 'so and so' got bogged down or used up deliveries, but we ONLY wanted 4 an over not 10 and over. Te batters are trying to learn to scores runs without slogging. England had an inspired 10 overs in the third quarter of our innings. They are allowed to. They are a Top 4 ranked team.

Shakib also got tied up at that time, too, and he is our best player when it comes to keeping runs flowing.

Cut the batters some slack.
Ditto coach.
Fans have to understand it's a 50 overs match, NOT a 20 overs.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote:
They are allowed to. They are a Top 4 ranked team

Cut the batters some slack.
I agree . Once our batters get some healthy score in the next Dutch clash , they will too recover confidence just like our bowling battery did. Being the #4 team England made a lot more errors than we did , after all.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Some posts are really annoying as so much negativity is inter-mixed within. But a healthy discussion to point out the weaknesses and sharpening the strengths should be welcome.

We won, that is the biggest achievement here.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Please guys.. i know you keep saying 'so and so' got bogged down or used up deliveries, but we ONLY wanted 4 an over not 10 and over. The batters are trying to learn to score runs without slogging.
Apreciate that. And, no, most of us are not looking for 'utopic' batting displays. Been involved with cricket for too long to expect those every other days.

That said, Rahim faced 20 balls, hit a four, that means he scored only 2 runs from 19 balls. Yes, no need for 10 an Over but where were the singles...and the much needed momentum?! Not, everyday Shafis and Rubels going to bail them out. We still need to do the right things -right?
Old March 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Spot on Pont. This is exactly what I mentioned in another thread yesterday -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Let's be honest on those 3 deliveries of Shezad to Raqibul, Mushi and Nayeem - I doubt how many right handed batsman can survive on those deliveries - pitching on line and swinging away 3 to 4 degrees. If Shezad was able to produce 6 of those deliveries, he could easily got 5 wickets out of 6 if not all 6. Those were simply brilliant unplayable quick deliveries for any right hander in this earth.

While saying that, I want to see Abir in the team in place of Raqibul for next two games!
Old March 12, 2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Apreciate that. And, no, most of us are not looking for 'utopic' batting displays. Been involved with cricket for too long to expect those every other days.

That said, Rahim faced 20 balls, hit a four, that means he scored only 2 runs from 19 balls. Yes, no need for 10 an Over but where were the singles...and the much needed momentum?! Not, everyday Shafis and Rubels going to bail them out. We still need to do the right things -right?
I GIVE UP WITH YOU GUYS.

Read my second post again at how well England bowled for 10 overs.

Slow batting is one thing. World class pressure from two good bowlers is another. If you don't get that I cannot help you and you will always criticise.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
What about the shot Shakib got out to? He got out to a similar shot in the previous match too.

They way Tamim, Imrul and Shakib were running between the wickets it looked like they didn't know the Required run rate was just 4. They were running like every over was the last over. The run outs were inevitable. Watching them running like that Mike Artherton was saying they only likely way of getting out was run out. And the match almost slipped away after Imrul's run out.

I know we have won the match and I might become a National Villain for saying these but I have just said what I witnessed.
Glass always half empty, eh buddy?
Old March 12, 2011, 07:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I GIVE UP WITH YOU GUYS.
Frankly, this isnt the attitude we expect for an international coach, either. We saw the match, too. Please, do read my other posts about Eng bowling in other threads. Fans will always have their 'shout'.

Nobody is undermining yesterdays win, Ian.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

In international cricket you have to defend good balls. Mushy and Rock is not capable of playing good deliveries?
They were lacking positive attitude. Mushy's blocking inflicted pressure on Shakib to lose his head. There should not be any excuse.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

We won it.

All these words about batting are coming because the middle order has been failing for quite a long time now. Once they start to perform everybody will be quite and happy.

Thanks Ian.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

its right we wont have everything perfect.

but in the end we won.

england bowled well from 31-40 overs and got 5 wickets for 21 runs.

but we had our say in the last 10 overs.

mushfiq could have batted a bit better. that my only problem ......

but in the end we won, thats important
Old March 12, 2011, 08:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Mushy,Nasir,Naeem

Everyone Critizizes Mushfiqur when He drops a catch and when he does something birlliant they dont seem to realize
Old March 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
Club Cricketer

I agree with Ian Pont. If we expect that at every match evererybody will perform A class then we are wrong. The opponenets are also playing good criket. Tendulakr also got duck, Messi is not striking goals everyda y. So the thing is that as a team how can you handle the situation after the fall. It does not matter how many times you fall, it matters how many times you can stand up again. and here we definitely won, so congrats tiger.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Mods, I demand your attention.
One match at a time, mate! Lets focus on NED now
Old March 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

Why are BC'ites still so edgy?
Old March 12, 2011, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
What about the shot Shakib got out to? He got out to a similar shot in the previous match too.
No. Then Shakib pushed at the ball and this time he tried to sweep it. And the ball kept low, so can't blame him tbf