facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Now is the vital period

The inevitable period has arrived. After having excelled in the international scene for the last couple of years, the period of bad/lean patch has finally arrived for Shahriar Nafees. There will be many who wouldn't agree. They would say he was bashing minnows over the last couple of years, hence putting a team like Australia in that category, and now is failing against the big sides.

Having scored heavily in the run up to the World Cup, he was due to have a lean patch. Unfortunately for him and Bangladesh the lean patch had to come in the World Cup. Now, the question that is arising is will Shariar be able to return from this lean patch and perform?

That is the real challenge. And this is where I feel is the real worry. Bangladesh have lost many players in the past after the players have shown promise in the first year. Alok, Hannan, Rajin are just examples.

It's in these lean patches where, the experience in domestic cricket is neccesary. Players who come to the international level after having played first class cricket, know how to overcome these patches, because in first class cricket they would have the experience of making a comeback. Shahriar Nafees, like almost all the forgotten talented youngsters of Bangladesh doesn't have much of that experinece. All he will have to bank on is age group experience.

This is the pivtal moment for Shahriar Nafees and in some way also for Bangladesh. If Shahriar Nafees can break this jinx of fading off after the first year, it can just start a new trend for Bangladesh cricket. If he can't then he would just extend the list of players who will faded away and more importantly with so many of his category in the team, the danger of losing more players wouls still be there.

Old April 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

interesting and scary..
Old April 12, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Sn is realet to Nafis iqbal. I hope we don't lose another opener to their wives. if that happens i hope BCB tels Tamim that he can't get married until he is 35
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2007, 11:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Eddur pola hotat biya pagol hoya gelo keno? Girlfriend thakle jothesto na?

Anyway, it's important that we stick by Nafees during his lean patch, we have to help at least one cricketer break through with our support and not abandon for the flavour of the month. We've lost too many openers that way.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
Test Cricketer

I don't see this happening again.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

I do not see Nafis Iqbal, Alok and Hannan ever coming back to the national team. They really showed great potential to become great Bangladeshi players, but they perished and it hurts to see them disappear slowly. But Rajin still has a chance, I do not know what is wrong, but I still feel he can do much better than Forhad Reza, Tushar, Mehrab Jr and so on.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:42 PM

Honestly these lean patch players shouldnt be made to hang around being benchsitters for the National squad. If anything they should be dropped to the domestic circuit where they can play against lower quality, play well, improve and regain confidence. Honestly JO and Rajin got back into WC squad also because their domestic showings were so good. Its really harmful if they're just batting at the nets and not able to play in games. I'd rather they stuck it out in the domestic matches than do that.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Alok can come back our middle order is still not finalized. He was not picked for the WC final 15.And he is playing good in the domestic league. But Hannan/Nafis has an uphill battle to get back with SN/TI/JO//RS all being drafted for opening. I dont think SN is not going to be picked against India but he fails against India again then we might have a problem. I still dont know who was it that thought of bringing back SN against England,,especially when JO plays better against pace.
Old April 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Good one Safaat. If Shahriar Nafees is dropped, he can always perform and make a comeback. Right now, he needs some domestic cricket where he can go out and spend some time in the middle. But seriously, he didn't help himself by getting married. He should have focused on cricket and cricket only.
Old April 13, 2007, 12:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
But seriously, he didn't help himself by getting married. He should have focused on cricket and cricket only.
Cricketers have a life you know! If we impose anything of this sort, we're soon gonna see this game vanish from the face of this earth. Even Trini women can't do anything about it!
Old April 13, 2007, 05:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Good one Safaat. If Shahriar Nafees is dropped, he can always perform and make a comeback. Right now, he needs some domestic cricket where he can go out and spend some time in the middle. But seriously, he didn't help himself by getting married. He should have focused on cricket and cricket only.
I agree, we really don't want to loose batsman like him.. I wonder is it the wedding or is it his wife? I got married young too and I am successful.. he must of fought with his newly married wife
Old April 13, 2007, 06:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

the thread opener has a valid point.now,from our past experiences,it will be bettert that we give sn a break..give him chance to retain his form back by playing domestic cricket and then coming back in the team.he is a good player and i hope he doesn't fade way.i also think he won't inshAllah.now,i think marriage is a personal part of his life.we shouldn't comment about his marriage life.and it will also be childish if we seriously believe that he is doing bad because of his marriage.
Junior
Old April 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Test Cricketer

If some of you talk about Hannan as a player with great potential i wont agree to it. He gout exact the same way out against the same bowler and in the starting of game.the very1st bowl against west indian some bowler. u call that a batsman. i think the bowler was j taylor.correct me if i m rong.
Old April 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner
If some of you talk about Hannan as a player with great potential i wont agree to it. He gout exact the same way out against the same bowler and in the starting of game.the very1st bowl against west indian some bowler. u call that a batsman. i think the bowler was j taylor.correct me if i m rong.
Ha that's very poor logic...

Flamming got out to vass like 4/5 time now and i thik more than once for 0.

Hannan started very brightly but something happen outside the ground that made him lose his concentration or what. I wish he could get his form back. cause we need another opener in TEST.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
Club Cricketer

My biggest regret in this WC is that BD played the match against England in an amateur attitude, while some amateur quality players won the game for England with professional attitude!

Why do we need to change the opening pairs who were doing decent job against NZ & SA? Is reviving the confidence of an out of form batsman more important (in such a big tournament like WC)…………….. than keeping the winning combination of the team!……………Crazy thoughts……………disastrous outcome!
In fact Shahriar out twice in England game……….himself & partly responsible for skippers runout!
Old April 13, 2007, 08:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash, Mash, Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR-BD
My biggest regret in this WC is that BD played the match against England in an amateur attitude, while some amateur quality players won the game for England with professional attitude!

Why do we need to change the opening pairs who were doing decent job against NZ & SA? Is reviving the confidence of an out of form batsman more important (in such a big tournament like WC)…………….. than keeping the winning combination of the team!……………Crazy thoughts……………disastrous outcome!
In fact Shahriar out twice in England game……….himself & partly responsible for skippers runout!

I can't agree more...why change when things are going well for you in a big Tournament. I read somewhere that BD will keep the same team against Ireland as well...to give Minnow basher SN get his confidence back. I hope he does get it back and do well against Minnow wanna be WI

Ashraful should bat at 4 and Bashar should bat at 7.

My 2 cents.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:51 PM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

All players have a bad run at various times but i think you will find Abir will come out of this one. The difference between he and some of the other names you mentioned has having started well and then faded is that he was averaging 40+ in over 40 games. I am pretty sure none of the other guys got anywhere near this figure. Greg Chappell once got 5 ducks on the trot, as did Mark Waugh, Ricky managed to tour Sri Lanka once making only a handful of runs in three tests, so it does happen. Rest assured i think Abir has the qualities to get through this period. When he does, as has happened with Michael Clarke, they come out the other end a better player, they understand their game better.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
Rest assured i think Abir has the qualities to get through this period. When he does, as has happened with Michael Clarke, they come out the other end a better player, they understand their game better.
And the proof to that is when we see Ashraful play these days. Even though only one good score against SA doesn't mean much, but his shot selection is much better these days. And the maturity in his approach is simply outstanding. He has learnt how to play under pressure, which is a blessing for the team.

So yes, I agree with you. I just hope Abir gets his form back soon.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

How can you just attach Michael Clarke's ability to come back with Shahrier Nafees? Look what happened to Shehvag.. But you know what guys,, he is out of form for only 7 matches for a month or so,, its not like he is Alok Kapali who took a year to come back in form or Tusher Imran who never gets his form during actual games. So for SN its premature to discuss whether he will come back or not because he is not yet even considered out...None is even thinking about opening pair. Shahrier, Tamim, with Rajin being the backup
Old April 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
How can you just attach Michael Clarke's ability to come back with Shahrier Nafees? .......
If anyone has the right and the qualifications to use Clarke as an analogy for Abir, it has to be our very own favorite observer.

Just in case you weren't paying attention to his special title. Observer is Richard McInnes, erstwhile coach of our world beating U-19 team and now currently with Cricket Australia.
Old April 13, 2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
All players have a bad run at various times but i think you will find Abir will come out of this one. The difference between he and some of the other names you mentioned has having started well and then faded is that he was averaging 40+ in over 40 games. I am pretty sure none of the other guys got anywhere near this figure. Greg Chappell once got 5 ducks on the trot, as did Mark Waugh, Ricky managed to tour Sri Lanka once making only a handful of runs in three tests, so it does happen. Rest assured i think Abir has the qualities to get through this period. When he does, as has happened with Michael Clarke, they come out the other end a better player, they understand their game better.

coooooooooaaaaccchhhh!!! welcome back! been a long time! you should post here more often
Old April 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
coooooooooaaaaccchhhh!!! welcome back! been a long time! you should post here more often
Co-Sign
Old April 14, 2007, 02:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
I do not see Nafis Iqbal, Alok and Hannan ever coming back to the national team. They really showed great potential to become great Bangladeshi players, but they perished and it hurts to see them disappear slowly. But Rajin still has a chance, I do not know what is wrong, but I still feel he can do much better than Forhad Reza, Tushar, Mehrab Jr and so on.
It's too early to comment about Farhad Reza or Mehrab Jr. Isn't it? I think so far they performed well and hope them to carry on.
Old April 14, 2007, 02:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

It's nice to see you here again Richard. Please post here and encourage us more and more.
Old April 14, 2007, 06:12 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
You would know him better then most of us and thus hopefully what you say comes out right. But then whats ur opnion on playing him now. Is it better he spents time out in the middle (specially on that Barbados wicket) or should he given a break away from the break just to relax.

There are two ways of looking at it: 1) He plays out there. Spend some time on a difficult wicket and once he gets, the runs wil flow and even his confidence. 2) Since he has spent so much time at the crease over the last few months its time he spends some time away from it.