facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 16, 2010, 01:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default Hebrew Qawwali

So my Israeli friend shared this GEM of an artist with me, and I was immediately captivated.

Shye Ben-Tzur, born and raised in Israel, joined the mandatory draft for the military. To relieve the mental strain that came with the service, he took a trip to India, where he fell in love with Zakir Hussain and Hari Prasad Chaurasia's music after hearing them in concert. He immersed himself in Qawwali music, and started collaborating with the Qawwals when he came to Israel - and soon after scores of beautiful music were made.

and there's MANY more on YouTube.

Old September 16, 2010, 02:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Is it qawali in music or by the espirit of lyrics as well?
Old September 16, 2010, 02:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

sounds gay. Why is there a thread for this? what's wrong with "what you are listening to" thread? Should I open up a new thread for an obscure musician from Djibouti that sings spanish songs which has nothing to do with Bangladesh/Bengali/Bangla blood or anything that is remotely related to us??

Which part of this video relates to us dear Electric brother?
Old September 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Which part of this video relates to us dear Electric brother?
So a thread has to relate to this group of "us" whoever that may be? You do live up to your name huh?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 16, 2010, 07:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Btw...I am not denying the gayness of it tho' lol.

Old September 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Is it qawali in music or by the espirit of lyrics as well?
It is qawwali by spirit, as well. If you want I can get the lyrics for you.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old September 16, 2010, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Lyrics for the first song in my OP, "As You Will."

Quote:
here i am, all yours
do to me as you please
i came empty
i surrender
my heart is given to your mercy
even if all will be taken away from me
i will hear your voice inside of me
from the pain he will lift me
and will fill me with love
And if you hear closely, like most qawwali songs, there are references to Allah and his Rasul in the song.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
So a thread has to relate to this group of "us" whoever that may be? You do live up to your name huh?
yet no body reads my full post. It should relate to the interest of the majority for it to warrant a thread of its own. Otherwise, there is already a thread for whatever you are listening to. hence it goes there. Imagine posting a new thread for every song you wanna share.. FC would look horrible no?

I thought my example of djibouti singer was clear enough.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
yet no body reads my full post. It should relate to the interest of the majority for it to warrant a thread of its own. Otherwise, there is already a thread for whatever you are listening to. hence it goes there. Imagine posting a new thread for every song you wanna share.. FC would look horrible no?

I thought my example of djibouti singer was clear enough.
So by your logic since majority of the Bangladeshi/Bangladeshi-Americans are Muslims we should continuously churn out one religious thread after another? "Majority interest" is a subjective concept. Btw I thought a thread quality should transcend above all stereotypes and norms. Now is this is crappy thread? Absolutely. You can argue the quality of it, but I find your argument for the rationale of it rather weak.

Anyways at the end of the day, ma booty or your booty, everybody got the right to open a up a their djibouti thread. You can always rate it with those dreaded red arrows if you think it sucks. I am sure a mod would tell you the same thing.

Old September 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Zeeshan - ghumaite jao, raat onek hoise. Bhondami bondho.

iDumb - Z'r shonge kaijja koiro na. I got his back.
Old September 16, 2010, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
So by your logic since majority of the Bangladeshi/Bangladeshi-Americans are Muslims we should continuously churn out one religious thread after another?
When did I say that? Why are you assuming all Muslims like to talk about religion all the time?

If there is a great interest in religious talk, we should have threads on it (just like there is a thread on music). But it will be a problem if you open a thread for every sura or ayat of the Quran and its interpretation. An obscure ayat by itself do not deserve a thread but discussion of the whole Quran does. This is a cricket forum and people complain even about the number of threads we create for Ashraful and you can't get more "related to us" than Ashraful on a bangladeshi cricket forum. My whole point was that there was already a thread for this song that electric is enjoying. I am just wondering why he felt the need to open a new thread?

Quote:
Btw I thought a thread quality should transcend above all stereotypes and norms.
ok. What stereotypes am I showing here?

Quote:
I find your argument for the rationale of it rather weak.
It says more about you than me.

Quote:
Anyways at the end of the day, ma booty or your booty, everybody got the right to open a up a their djibouti thread.
yeah and everyone under freedom of expression have the right to burn the Quran but should they is a different story.

Quote:
Now is this is crappy thread? Absolutely.
Ok then!

Mods should merge this thread with the song thread.
Old September 16, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
iDumb - Z'r shonge kaijja koiro na. I got his back.
Sure! He needs it. But you would probably be hurting anyway..
Old September 17, 2010, 01:20 AM
Cricket Legend

I opened a separate thread on this topic instead of including the songs in the generic and over-populated "What are you listening to now?" thread because I found it to be a really intriguing issue. I mean, this guy is building bridges through his music ... literally! I meant to share this with BC-ites, knowing that some would find it as fascinating as I do.

With all that being said, I want to say I did NOT need to justify myself. You guys are acting like the FC section on BC is prime-property, and cannot, at ANY EFFIN COST, be used for what you perceive to be "trivialities." Grow up. Every time someone opens a thread that you may not like, you guys start your pan-panani about how it should be moved, merged, deleted, etc etc etc. Have you thought about NOT clicking on the damn thread? I mean the title was very self-explanatory. And what is it about "relevance to us" I hear? Seriously? That's one of your arguments, iDumb? That it is not relevant to "us?" ... whoever you include in that group.

FC is not your forefather's inheritance. It is public domain, and it can and will be used for "crappy" threads. As simple as that.

*I am done stating this issue. Henceforth, I'll be only replying to comments/queries about the topic.
Old September 17, 2010, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
I opened a separate thread on this topic instead of including the songs in the generic and over-populated "What are you listening to now?" thread because I found it to be a really intriguing issue.
I find a Djibouti song very intriguing, so I should open up a thread about it instead of posting it in the a thread already dedicated to music. There is nothing "overpopulated" in that thread. That is a targeted thread.

Quote:
Have you thought about NOT clicking on the damn thread? I mean the title was very self-explanatory.
How was the title self-explanatory? "Hebrew Qawwali" could as well be name of a terrorist group. Instead had you put it in the "listening" thread, i could have easily ignored this crap.

Quote:
And what is it about "relevance to us"?
-Bangladeshis
-Bangaldeshi cricket supports

That is us. Do you see any sticky thread about "Breaking Japanese news"? Sure you can open a japanese news crap thread, no body has to click it. But then what will stop somebody else from opening Djibouti news thread? If this is allowed its own thread, all other members if they open a thread for each song they watch in youtube should be allowed too. No body has to click it. RIGHT?

Quote:
FC is not your forefather's inheritance. It is public domain, and it can and will be used for "crappy" threads. As simple as that.
This is bosti mentality you do realize that right? Since street is public property, you can urinate and defecate on it. Throw your garbage on it... it's public property. No body can tell you anything.

Quote:
*I am done stating this issue. Henceforth, I'll be only replying to comments/queries about the topic.
yes you are being poured with questions regarding this topic.... we all want to know... what color underwear you were wearing while listening to this song.

And who told you to state this issue anyway. You could have just ignored it in the first place. Something tells me you are more interested in what *I* think or say than this "topic".

I will be on this thread throughout the day.....and will make my point further with my Djibouti dance music videos.

Quote:
Grow up.
Yes I need that advice from YOU! ok!

Last edited by iDumb; September 17, 2010 at 02:10 AM..
Old September 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
Cricket Savant

This time I want my in before the lock!

Old September 17, 2010, 01:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I really like Shye Ben Tzur! His Qwallis are indeed very good!
I was once lucky to have listened to his music in New York! Love his music!
Old September 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Good stuff, BK bhai. I wish I could go to his concert.

His trailer for his just-released album Shoshan. Recorded in India with Rajasthani and Sufi musicians from Punjab.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Cricket Legend

I respect you electrequiem, that's why i am gonna make sure this thread is a hit and it doesn't die an early death. I am gonna post on topic posts here.

Qawwali songs are huge in Chittagong. It has been bridging gaps between Pakistan and Bangladesh since 1971 war.

Forefront in this battle stood one Chottogram girl, Moon. She is the pride of Bangla with her Bangla Qawwali songs:

She also brought us this though:

She deserves a Nobel prize for uniting Bangalis and Pakistanis.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

idumb.. where do you get time to do all this ??
If you spent as much time in Forex and Options, you would be a millioniare by now ;-).
Old September 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
Cricket Savant

how does moon change her saree so fast in the first song?

Old September 17, 2010, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjad
idumb.. where do you get time to do all this ??
If you spent as much time in Forex and Options, you would be a millioniare by now ;-).
Or I would be broke and beg on the subway singing Hebrew/Urdu/Bangla qawwali. Not that I am not begging now.
Old September 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
how does moon change her saree so fast in the first song?
Those were edited to fit this forum.. Duh!! you gonna have to pay your 200$ salami if you wanna see the whole thing buddy. Magna Magna Moon dekhba? Eita ki Eid paicho?
Old September 18, 2010, 07:36 AM
Forever Bangy

Well I for one found it highly interesting Elec, thank you. I really like Sufi-inspired music, being a fan of Junoon, but don't really know anything about it. I didn't even know it was called Qawwali. This guy is great, it's good to see him helping to keep this music alive. It would be such a shame if music like this were to die out thanks to the opinions of some of our more highly esteemed members of society, like Orph and Zee (Gay? Really went for the most unoriginal and easy shot didn't ya guys? Sounds like something Ashraful would do).

As for you two.. who the eff died and made you guys lords of FC? You call the thread crappy? The fact that there is such a thing as a 'crappy' thread is ridiculous. It's an internet message board! Who takes stuff like opening threads seriously? Multiple, pointless threads about Ashraful on the main forum where people are already highly strung because of our 'performance' can not be compared to Elec, who hardly posts, let alone opens threads! If I don't particularly care for a topic, for example 'Menu for Eid'.. or how about this little gem.. 'How Much Eidi did you get?' by none other than our most righteous Lord Zee, I just don't goddamn click on it!

And Orph.. Dumb.. whatever.. what is this 'us' nonsense? To be perfectly honest, I've learnt about so many things not related to Bangladesh OR Cricket OR Religion from BC (even from you two) it makes me so appreciative to be able to read the thoughts of so many people smarter, more knowledgable or more experienced than I. Because, yes, I don't get to discuss such a wide range of topics with those I hang with, except for Fab. So if something does come out of left field on here, I'll take it and I'll be thankful for it too.

Anyway, back on topic again, sort of. Since we're talking about Western musicians being inspired in India, thought I'd let people who are interested know about this 'cultural exchange' (because God forbid I open a new thread about it). I don't know about the US, but this band Mumford and Sons are very popular in the UK and Australia, and they went on a trip to India where they engaged in a 'cultural exchange' of music. Here is a product of that:

Old September 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I really like Sufi-inspired music, being a fan of Junoon, but don't really know anything about it. I didn't even know it was called Qawwali. This guy is great, it's good to see him helping to keep this music alive. It would be such a shame if music like this were to die out thanks to the opinions of some of our more highly esteemed members of society
Mona, are you serious? This guy is keeping Qawwali alive?? Have you heard of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan? You know the guy who made Qawwali MAINSTREAM through out the WORLD after working with many famous western musicians. You know the musicians who never dared to fiddle with the purity of Qawwali.

Regarding the opening post, the suggestion that Tzur visited India and "discovered" Qawwali is highly an insulting one.

Quote:
'Menu for Eid'.. or how about this little gem.. 'How Much Eidi did you get?' by none other than our most righteous Lord Zee, I just don't goddamn click on it!
You don't click on it cuz Fab probably didn't cook on Eid cuz she was busy or you didn't get any money because you are too stuck up to be touching elder's feet. These are traditions we have grown up with and all of a sudden our tradition is "crap" and some guy raping the sanctity of Qawwali is intriguing. Good thinking. Why doesn't Tzar learn the language and then sing Qawwali. It's like singing Tagore songs in Hindi - oh wait weren't there attempt to bastardize tagore by bollywood?

Quote:
You call the thread crappy? The fact that there is such a thing as a 'crappy' thread is ridiculous. It's an internet message board! Who takes stuff like opening threads seriously?
To be honest, I don't think the thread is crappy but the tone of Electrequiems posts irked me. He sounds like he found the next Nobel peace prize candidate and Qawwali found its saviour.

Last edited by iDumb; September 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old September 18, 2010, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

mona, qawali doesn't need to be kept alive, it's quite thriving. I'm a sucker for rajasthani folk songs though, try aslam khan langa on youtube. you won't regret it.
if you like sufi you should give kailash kher a look as well.

anyway, how about a japanese singing baul ?