facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 25, 2003, 07:13 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Moniruzzaman In Place of Aftab

Moniruzzaman takes the place of Aftab Ahmed, who instead travel to Pakistan with the under-19 squad.

Details Here

Old October 25, 2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

One issue - when was the last time Monir picked up a bat in a realmatch (league or even practice)?

Other then that, I am all for giving the league's highest scorer a shot at finishing the job that Sumon, Pilot and Hannan started (turn the 50's into hundreds).
Old October 25, 2003, 06:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Zaman\'s inclusion

I am excited to see him included in the squad. I hope he really gets a shot with the bat. This would mean that someone would have to be chopped and the person I would axe is Kapali. His recent performances have really not been up to par.

Mushfiq has impressed me although I was really skeptical about his inclusion. He seems to be the all-rounder that BD desparately needed.

It's frustrating to see Sujon take the spot of a genuine pace bowler. If only Tapash could replace him, BD would have a strong shot at achieving better results.

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by Ockey]
Old October 27, 2003, 11:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

I keep hearing how he is the highest scorer in the league, but no one has shown any stats. Which league are we talking about?

Anyway, if he is good then I say give him a chance and let Kap rest.
Old October 27, 2003, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Hey why not play me, I have scored the most runs in the league that plays in front of my garage every other Sunday? And I consistently get runs by playing across the line, pulling from outside the offstump, and other assorted goodies....

Dropping Kapali is sheer madness...
Old October 27, 2003, 11:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Here are my reasons for "sheer madness":

1. He has a minor injury.
2. He has not been performing in the test for some times.

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by bhobishshot]

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by bhobishshot]
Old October 27, 2003, 11:55 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Have you considered the possibility that Javed Omar might have a severe injury on his leg and Moniruzzaman could take his place?
Old October 27, 2003, 11:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I highly doubt Dav will drop Kaps! He is our future. He is not even out of form or confidence, just poor shot selection!!!
Old October 27, 2003, 02:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Including Zaman...

The basis for any player's inclusion should be the national and local leagues. I know that's not the best league in the world to judge player talent and performance but it's all we've got.

Moniruzzaman has performed up to the bechmark to warrent his test call. I would have preferred to have seen him in the first test rather than the second one, just because there are higher expectations of the BD side to preform better.

I would like to see him given a shot at proving himself. I am sure with his age and the number of cricketing years he has left, he will play with some determination. As to who gets cut, I only see a couple of choices...Kapali, Mushfiq, or Javed. Out of the three and given the circumstances Kapali would be my choice to take the axe.

In the PAK tour he scored a total of 89 in six innings with an average of 15. There was that hat trick in one of the test but as the days progress that seems to have been a once in the blue moon occurance. He did perfrom much better in the ODIs. In the AUS tour he scored a total of 22 runs in four innings, with a ducks in both the innings of the first test. Again he did play better in the ODIs. Against England at home he scored 40 runs in the two innings in the first test. Even though statistically it's a better performance from him, it overlooks his lack of temperment in the first innings (28 off 32 balls...what was the rush?) and his complacency in the second.

There is the choice of taking Javed out and opening with Zaman. Although Javed always starts shakily, he can build up a good innings once he gets over the initial jitters. And as far as Mushfiq is concerned he as proven himself as a worthy batsmen and a better bowler than our feared captain.

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Ockey]
Old October 27, 2003, 02:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

Your logic seems to be "sheer madness" .

Anyway, I would still keep Kap in the ODI squad.
Old October 27, 2003, 08:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Default let\'s Dave decide what to do

I guess whomever we choose the way we play is not upto the test quality yet...it will take more time...hopefully not years...so though zaman plays or kapali or even Javed or Sujon we will perform almost the same...may be couple of runs more or so...but we really need a good middle order batsman and a good seamer...for that reason if Kapali or Sujon has to leave they have to do that for the sake of the country...but before omitting them we have to make sure about getting the right choice to replace them...which bd haven't found yet....unless we change our system we won't find that quickly to replace them...