facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 26, 2013, 05:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

Does Bangladesh deserve the test status?

Undoubtedly YES. ICC will do well to get out of that incestuous club of theirs if they're really serious about spreading the game. The passion for the game in Bangladesh is unmatched even by the other south Asian nations and tbh, it is this passion of the subcontinental teams that will drive cricket, and for that matter ICC in the future. The ICC made a choice, a choice based on many parameters that will help spread the game and fill their coffers at the same time. So giving BD test status wasn't a favour to them, it's the other way round.

Is the Bangladeshi team improving?

Definitely YES. If you look at the current generation of players like Shakib, Tamim, Ashraful , Razzaq, Mashrafe etc, they're are visibly better that their previous generations like Akram, Aminul or Rafique. There're already plenty of hints that the future generation (Nasir, Gazi, Mominul etc) will be even better than the current one. This is a clear indication that the team is evolving, the test series against SL showed what the team is really capable of, given the time and opportunities.

Is the team's progress a bit on the slower side?

Frustratingly YES. With a huge pool of talent to pick from, with top quality foreign coaches and support staff, with more than decent sponsors, state of the art sport's stadiums and facilities that had come up in the last 10 years, you might feel that the progress shown by the team is not up to its full potential. It'll not be ideal to compare it with the progress of the 40's India team since they had neither of the those mentioned above. The game was played by a few, and watched by even fewer. A Bangladeshi fan (or any cricket fan for that matter) has every right to believe that their team will be among the test's top 8 in 5-10 years time, and has every right to feel disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Is Bangladesh not getting enough help from the other boards?

Unfortunately YES. I could've said ICC, but in effect it is nothing but a common platform of the individual boards. A team improves by playing matches, and there is no substitute for match practice. In an ideal world the BD team had got full support of the other teams, but this is not an ideal world. Here you're on your own unless its economically viable to help, and in the current situation, it is not. One might argue that India, being a neighbour and the centre of world cricket, could have been more accommodating. But to expect such thing from BCCI is naive at least. Also what help is given to Ireland by ECB other than poaching it's players? How much help did NZ received from Australia in their early days? How much help was given to Zimbabwe by SA? (OK don't bother the last part).The truth is sports (be it football, cricket or Olympics) is no longer played in its original spirit and is turned into business, where if you're not generation profit, you're a liability.

Is the OP wrong in his assessment?

Just YES. Period.

Old June 26, 2013, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

^^ great post sum_1,
i like the way you analyzed..
Old June 26, 2013, 07:28 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Old June 26, 2013, 08:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

this sort of threads appear more often than an India-SL match....and the reaction of fans is quite similar: They are damn bored of it!!!1
Old June 26, 2013, 08:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_1

Undoubtedly YES. ICC will do well to get out of that incestuous club of theirs if they're really serious about spreading the game. The passion for the game in Bangladesh is unmatched even by the other south Asian nations and tbh, it is this passion of the subcontinental teams that will drive cricket, and for that matter ICC in the future. The ICC made a choice, a choice based on many parameters that will help spread the game and fill their coffers at the same time. So giving BD test status wasn't a favour to them, it's the other way round.

Definitely YES. If you look at the current generation of players like Shakib, Tamim, Ashraful , Razzaq, Mashrafe etc, they're are visibly better that their previous generations like Akram, Aminul or Rafique. There're already plenty of hints that the future generation (Nasir, Gazi, Mominul etc) will be even better than the current one. This is a clear indication that the team is evolving, the test series against SL showed what the team is really capable of, given the time and opportunities.

Frustratingly YES. With a huge pool of talent to pick from, with top quality foreign coaches and support staff, with more than decent sponsors, state of the art sport's stadiums and facilities that had come up in the last 10 years, you might feel that the progress shown by the team is not up to its full potential. It'll not be ideal to compare it with the progress of the 40's India team since they had neither of the those mentioned above. The game was played by a few, and watched by even fewer. A Bangladeshi fan (or any cricket fan for that matter) has every right to believe that their team will be among the test's top 8 in 5-10 years time, and has every right to feel disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Unfortunately YES. I could've said ICC, but in effect it is nothing but a common platform of the individual boards. A team improves by playing matches, and there is no substitute for match practice. In an ideal world the BD team had got full support of the other teams, but this is not an ideal world. Here you're on your own unless its economically viable to help, and in the current situation, it is not. One might argue that India, being a neighbour and the centre of world cricket, could have been more accommodating. But to expect such thing from BCCI is naive at least. Also what help is given to Ireland by ECB other than poaching it's players? How much help did NZ received from Australia in their early days? How much help was given to Zimbabwe by SA? (OK don't bother the last part).The truth is sports (be it football, cricket or Olympics) is no longer played in its original spirit and is turned into business, where if you're not generation profit, you're a liability.

Just YES. Period.
Well summed up. As much as bias works within us Bangladeshi fans, the extent of unnecessary criticism we have had to take in the recent past is a bit too much.

Jodi bochhor e 7-8 ta kore Test match kheltam, taholeo nahoy shojjo kore nitam. Mot e 3ta ki 4ta Test kheli lower ranked team er shathe, taatei erokom nun er chhita.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old June 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
this sort of threads appear more often than an India-SL match....and the reaction of fans is quite similar: They are damn bored of it!!!1
Lol, quite right. I can't be bothered to come up with a 8 page thesis anymore. Just a few pertinent points and click "post reply".

Or maybe thats an unmistakable sign of aging?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

I don't think we do...so the fact that we have it, and won't be losing it - and that it drives so many ppl crazy, makes it all the more enjoyable.
Old June 26, 2013, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_1

Just YES. Period.
Too bad that there is no LIKE button in this forum

Well said, and truely unbiased
Old June 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

very well said sum1 bhai
Old June 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

sum_1 bhai that post was definitely something
Old June 26, 2013, 11:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

There is a LIKE button. Look around. And guys please, do not feed the troll.
Old June 27, 2013, 04:42 AM
Cricket Legend

This Indian Deepak guy comes onto a Bangladeshi Cricket forum and opens up a "Does Bangladesh deserve test status" thread. Just wanted to stir up trouble nothing else.
Old June 27, 2013, 04:57 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good post someone.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 27, 2013, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
There is a LIKE button. Look around. And guys please, do not feed the troll.
Not only Like, i found Tweet and g+1 button also..
But i am desperately in search of dislike or g-1 button here
Old June 27, 2013, 08:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I've got only a few words - Bangladesh deserves test status as much as cricket deserves test matches.
If we feel world cricket needs to go backwards instead of forward, I've got even a better plan-- restrict test cricket only to the Ashes as the founding fathers had envisioned it. Unless there's home team participation, that's probably the only series even neutral followers like myself enjoy watching for it's history.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
Street Cricketer

al Furqaan bhai, isnaad bhai and sum1 bhai - along with few others (don't mind me if I can't quote everyone) - I appreciate the logical discussion. Some excellent points made. Like I said, the purpose was to invite an honest appraisal of Bangladesh's test performance, the reasons around it and hopefully not shy away from seeing ourselves in bad light.

I do agree with some very relevant points, the fact that the richer boards like CA, CSA and BCCI try to avoid playing Bangladesh is certainly a dampener. And though I won't even sent my future mother in law to Pakistan, that BCB promised and then backed out from PAK tour also strained their relationship (and chance of playing tests) in Pakistan.

What I do agree is that yes, teams in the past had far better preparation - long tours, first class matches and all. Certainly the advent of T20 has robbed BD of that chance. That being said, rather than playing against Zimbabwe all the time, shouldn't BCB also try to send its players to counties in ENG or AUS. I don't know if they are that poor. I also concede their batting has improved a lot - but the overall stats in Tests and ODIs, in both batting and bowling still look under-par. In fact Shakib, Tamim, and Razzak (only in ODIs) apart few can be automatic picks for World XI.

For all those who couldn't even spell my name correctly, or simply started crying foul because of where I come from - get a life folks! Yes, this is a controversial topic. Yes, it is always painful when the faults of your team are pointed out - but by burying your head in sand you don't solve anything.

The idea was also to see if not playing tests really helps BD focus on T20 and ODIs to come up the ranks. My friends in Ireland tell me that each of their player plays for some English county, even if second XI, do you think the Bangladesh players take such an initiative to play in first class set up of Sri Lanka or India? A prime example of maintaining a good first class cricket structure is South Africa. Despite not playing cricket for years they quickly rebuilt after re-admission.

Have a discussion, debate it, .. and I'm fine if you think I'm totally wrong. I happily invite constructive argument. Just don't start yelling because it's Bangladesh. I'm just as critical of many things faulty with Indian cricket or BCCI, or for that matter WICB, ECB or any of those.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepanjan
The idea was also to see if not playing tests really helps BD focus on T20 and ODIs to come up the ranks. My friends in Ireland tell me that each of their player plays for some English county, even if second XI, do you think the Bangladesh players take such an initiative to play in first class set up of Sri Lanka or India? A prime example of maintaining a good first class cricket structure is South Africa. Despite not playing cricket for years they quickly rebuilt after re-admission.
Ireland players have it easy due to their proximity and association with English system for a long time. But its hard for a BD player to get a chance in English county leagues. You need to be extremely good or have recommendation (see Junaid Khan/Wasim Akram). Only Shakib after years and years of proven record got a chance in Worcs. But you have other players (Enam jnr, Ashraful, Bulbul) who played in less competitive local leagues.

Overall, BD plays only a handful of tests each year. There is no way to judge a player based on these few performances and that's why England/India or even SL domestic teams don't consider them. They have an abundance of local players and thus have no need to get players from BD. So our players are starved of competitive cricket and that results in poor performance. So you see, its a vicious loop.

Going back to your original argument, Zimbabwe took a break for a lot of reasons. Incompetent board, player contract resulting in exodus, political situation, and almost bankrupt board. BD don't have any of those issues in that magnitude. In fact, BCB made more money than NZ and SL board last year. 2nd fan base in terms of population after India (excluding Pak as they don't play in home anymore) and etc.

The performances will pick up. FC is little more competitive now and they also introduced another 4 day tournament called BCL. Just give it some time.

Finally, if BD is excluded from international cricket, then trust me cricket won't succeed or expand anywhere else in the world.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....m-akram-866215
Old June 27, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

so what really is your point deepanjan?

i dont think you a troll, but whats why bringin up this thread. This test status thing is dicussed everywhere in the world. We are supposed to bring more teams to cricket, and here we are doing the opposite
Old June 27, 2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
so what really is your point deepanjan?

i dont think you a troll, but whats why bringin up this thread. This test status thing is dicussed everywhere in the world. We are supposed to bring more teams to cricket, and here we are doing the opposite
He is just asking to wake up BCB and do their job what they are paid for!
Old June 27, 2013, 04:15 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
He is just asking to wake up BCB and do their job what they are paid for!
Questioning our test status is not always the same as questioning the board. He came up with his concern with stats to back him up. We always ask our boards to "wake up" and "do their job" but we dont say, take away our test status. at least not seriously.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh will become an invincible team sooner or later. Let us tour India first.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

You guys can take him down or do you need heavy artillery? I will remain standby mode. Let me know when to come in. This is getting old.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Of course bd deserve test status.we play more ODI, so we are good at ODI. We dont play much test, thats why we r sucky at test.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

when we mean revert, we will be world champions a million times.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepanjan

I do agree with some very relevant points, the fact that the richer boards like CA, CSA and BCCI try to avoid playing Bangladesh is certainly a dampener. And though I won't even sent my future mother in law to Pakistan, that BCB promised and then backed out from PAK tour also strained their relationship (and chance of playing tests) in Pakistan.
Correction: BCB never "promised" to tour Pakistan, technically speaking. PCB twisted the BCB's arm by linking Mustafa Kamal's nomination to a tour, and as a corrupt leader he saw it as a win-win situation for his personal ambitions at the risk of the team's security. PCB had no say in the matter, to be honest, because they had the previous nomination, Ehsan Mani, and as a result, Kamal should have been automatic pick tour or no tour. PCB played power politics and the result is there.

Quote:
What I do agree is that yes, teams in the past had far better preparation - long tours, first class matches and all. Certainly the advent of T20 has robbed BD of that chance. That being said, rather than playing against Zimbabwe all the time, shouldn't BCB also try to send its players to counties in ENG or AUS. I don't know if they are that poor. I also concede their batting has improved a lot - but the overall stats in Tests and ODIs, in both batting and bowling still look under-par. In fact Shakib, Tamim, and Razzak (only in ODIs) apart few can be automatic picks for World XI.
As long as Zimbabwe continues to be competitive, we should continue playing them. We thoroughly outplayed them in almost every bilateral series from late 2006 to late 2010, home or away. Since then, they have closed the gap and have been outplaying us. So we should keep playing them, because clearly we're not too good to play them.

As far as counties, a few of our players do play county cricket and a few more are "good enough" (Nasir, Mushfiq) but there is a limit to foreign players per side. Personally I think Bangladesh needs to play more Tests and ODIs against not only top teams, but also against Ireland, Afghanistan because there is no substitute for international cricket. Teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, or even Zimbabwe would not be that much weaker than playing your average county side and it would be tougher because of the pressure of being an international and having to win against "minnows".

Quote:
Well Irish players can seek county contracts under EU employment laws. In fact thats the whole defense England has when people accuse them of stealing Irish players like Morgan, Rankin, and possibly Dockerell. They argue that they are legally bound to accept those players if they seek employment otherwise they are guilty of discrimination. Same doesn't apply for Bangladeshi players attempting to play in India or some other country. Lots more red tape since we're not federated like the EU.

In conclusion, two things are evident. Bangladesh sucks, but they are improving perhaps a little slowly. Bangladesh need to play more Tests, ODIs against top teams, but also against top Associates like Afghanistan and Ireland.

#OneTeam1Dream