facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Default A reason for our failure: player's fitness

I think one of the main reason for our failure is the lack of fitness in our players during the world cup. We already talked about Tamim's bhuri and most of the players in general looked a little bulky. I was watching highlights of our win against England last summer and all the players from that time were a lot more leaner and looked fit. Its the same group of players that played in the world cup but they were more fit 6 months ago. Because, its true that we have been playing good cricket during the last 2 years and we managed to keep the same set of players. All the essential ingredients were there for a successful world cup campaign. I think after the New Zealand and Zimbabwe series in October/December, the players left for domestic cricket and lost their physical fitness by the time the world up came about.
So no matter how talented you are and how much temparament you show, if you are not fit enough, you will get tired after batting/running for 10 to 15 overs and at one point because of your lack of fitness, you will play a shot without good footwork which may cause you to loose your wicket.
I think there is no need to fire any of the coaches who I believe are doing a good job and most of the players are responding to their training, so I think the team should be kept the same and the players should start hitting the gym and get back their fitness.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Time to send them to another military camp (well, may be before the prep camp for Zimbabwe tour).

And yeah, both the coach and manager should be fired for their failures to instill basic disciplines among players.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

So tiredness was an issue when we lost against the West Indies(batting 1st and getting all out for 58 in next to no time), and again a factor when we lost to South Africa when we lost wickets right at the top of the order, but not an issue, when we won close pressure filled matches at the death against Ireland and England(matches where fitness, fatigue, would be much more of an issue?

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Last edited by F6_Turbo; March 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM..
Old March 20, 2011, 12:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
So tiredness was an issue when we lost against the West Indies(batting 1st and getting all out for 58 in next to no time), and again a factor when we lost to South Africa when we lost wickets right at the top of the order, but not an issue, when we won close pressure filled matches at the death against Ireland and England?
Batsmen were horrible in those two matches also, though not as bad as 78 or 58. I highly doubt we would have won the match against England if dew was not such a big factor that evening.

Batting debacle in the WC is not an separate incident, majority of the batsmen performed poorly in the NZ series also, but bowlers broke us out of jail in the series (And a He-man like performance from Shakib with both bat and bowl). Batsmen should have been told to step up or step aside after that series. Instead Siddons kept pampering them and made the batting department worse.

Last edited by Eshen; March 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM..
Old March 20, 2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Batsmen were horrible in those two matches also, though not as bad as 78 or 58. I highly doubt we would have won the match against England if dew was not such a big factor that evening.
Fair enough...

I just think fitness, fatigue would have been a factor if we had slaved away in the field chasing leather for 50 overs, and then been set a massive total to haul down. Bit hard to use that as an excuse when we bat 1st, not to mention we put up 280 odd on a docile pitch against India, after being in the field in match 1. Also the long breaks we had during matches, meant, all the players had plenty of time for recovery.

That would explain, lethargic shots, lazy minds, or lazy feet, but that was not the case, nor did we see players cramping up, or huffing and puffing away. The ground fielding over all was decent(it was bad yesterday, but over the course of the tournament it was decent).
Old March 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

You cannot blame fitness for 58 and 78.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Health is wealth. That applies to all of us -pro athelete or not. Attituide towards fitness is also a reflection of the mind. Any player -no matter how talented- who doesn't take his fitness seroiusly should not be in the team. It highlights negligence towards the self and, therefore, the team.

Tolerate bad practices be ready to accept bad results.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

I am not sure how fitness makes you less skillful than the other world teams!

Fitness is important when you have your skill levels, mental approach and EXCUSE CULTURE under control. But not before. Being responsible for your performances like Australia, England and SA are is what counts. Then having the skill coached into you over and over and over.

Anyone watching the big teams will see that very clearly.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
I am not sure how fitness makes you less skillful than the other world teams!

Fitness is important when you have your skill levels, mental approach and EXCUSE CULTURE under control. But not before. Being responsible for your performances like Australia, England and SA are is what counts. Then having the skill coached into you over and over and over.

Anyone watching the big teams will see that very clearly.
I've had this discussion about EXCUSE CULTURE and professionalism with others and some members of the coaching staff. Can you elaborate on what YOU mean by that phrase. To me I understand it to be these kids' inability to man up and take responsibility for their actions. I bet they would often preempt possible repercussions of a less than ideal result by blaming on a niggle here or a sprain there. Do they have the balls to stand up ans say I screwed up and not pass the buck and blame someone else? Shakib with his last press conference seems to be the only man amongst the boys?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I've had this discussion about EXCUSE CULTURE and professionalism with others and some members of the coaching staff. Can you elaborate on what YOU mean by that phrase. To me I understand it to be these kids' inability to man up and take responsibility for their actions. I bet they would often preempt possible repercussions of a less than ideal result by blaming on a niggle here or a sprain there. Do they have the balls to stand up ans say I screwed up and not pass the buck and blame someone else? Shakib with his last press conference seems to be the only man amongst the boys?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Excuse culture is;

1. Never my fault (ball kept low/bounced/turned/moved etc etc )
2. Someone else's fault (pace bowlers/other spinners/fielding/razzak's catches let us down
3. I got 30 (daily star did a feature on Imrul when he scored 30) and I am happy
4. The team lost but I did alright (I got 20-30)
5. We didn't get the team/wicket/conditions/support we wanted
6. Now I'm on the national team averaging 23-30, I don't have to work hard (like Tendulkar, Ponting and Sangakkara who average 45-50)
7. It's the way I bat (when slogging caught on the fence)
8. It's the way we play in Bangladesh (not moving feet and waving at the ball without getting into line)

and a whole host of others...

When someone points the finger of blame, just have a good look at where the other three fingers on that hand point.
Old March 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

First thing I want to clarify is that tiredness and fitness are two different things, our players werent tired as they had plenty of rest before the world cup. I am talking about their fitness which is more related to their physical shape, if you are in top shape, you are able to move your feet more which causes you to play fewer lazy shots which can cost you your wicket. I am not using this as an excuse for the 58 and 78 but in general our batting has been horrible during the world cup which is not the case if you look at our batting performance over the last 2 years; even in a lost cause, we would finish the 50 overs and score around 240 chasing 300. In all our games this world cup, the batting has been a key concern as the batsmen could not keep going after making a start. Some will say its temparament but that too is related to fitness.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:25 AM
Banned

What is the fitness coach doing? Complete waste of money.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

The fitness coach is in charge, he should weigh these guys every 2 weeks and if they put on weight, put them on a strict diet,make them work out, These young fellas are developing tummies, and Tamim is getting stodgy. If you look at the teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, you can see that they are athletes, and IMO, they are the best fielding sides at the moment.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

physical fitness na mental/psychological toughness e problem.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

did someone ask grant luden about why our players have a bhuri and lack stamina?
Old March 21, 2011, 04:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
did someone ask grant luden about why our players have a bhuri and lack stamina?
ভাত।
Old March 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tiqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDaMartian
ভাত।

During Bangladesh Tour of England 2010, Manchester.
Source: http://www.facebook.com/Tamim.Iqbal

Last edited by shiplu; March 21, 2011 at 08:49 AM..
Old March 21, 2011, 08:25 AM
First Class Cricketer

শান্তিতে খায়তে দেন ভাই।
Old March 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

We are lacking mental toughness a lot more than physical fitness... The ugly shot Junaid played against the Netherlands where he had the opportunity of a life time to see the innings through till the end underlines the major flaw in our thinking. Once we score 30+ we are already satisfied with our selves... these guys probably think about a par score to retain their place in the side rather than what is required during a match situation
Old March 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think we have been talking about the fact that players get satisfied with 30 and then go out for long enough that I am sure the players will have realized now that 30 is not enough. In fact Tamim and gang have been in the media saying they are not satisfied with 40, they want to make 100 so what is causing them to get out at around 30. I am saying after batting for about 1 hour, our players due to their lack of fitness, tend to play lazy shot and then go out. Do you seriously believe Junaid got out to that delivery because he was satisfied with his 30 or that he lacks mental toughness, he just played a lazy shot, and what do you think causes a player to play a lazy shot? I am saying its their fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
We are lacking mental toughness a lot more tha
n physical fitness... The ugly shot Junaid played against the Netherlands where he had the opportunity of a life time to see the innings through till the end underlines the major flaw in our thinking. Once we score 30+ we are already satisfied with our selves... these guys probably think about a par score to retain their place in the side rather than what is required during a match situation

Last edited by Go_Bangladesh; March 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: missing word
Old March 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Grant must go.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: tamim,sakib,riad,rajib

yes broo i know the fitness is the main problem , but u cant blame this to the player , u have to blame to our country for making really unhealthy food at really dirty area , but thats what people doesnt know if they are easting a good healthy food or not , everythings people making with the begal whats really bad for people health ,bangladesh government needs to take serious actions against this kind unhealthy food which is really bad for people and also player fitness
Old March 21, 2011, 06:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Remand e niya duita dola dilei to hoy...
shob bhuri koima jaibo ek din e....
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
Cricket Guru

their mind and way of thinking has more to do with it...we need players with better thought process to avert this failures...physically fit is important but mental fitness is missing also
Old March 21, 2011, 01:08 PM
Test Cricketer

I cannot say it anymore gently than this. "We do not yet have the talent to compete consitently against the G8 teams". That is the truth and we are afraid to articulate this simple fact. Blaming the coaches or the players would not alter this basic truth. Granted that our players are young but they have played a lot of matches. They have experience but not the mental maturity. They most certainly also lack in basic talent. We get carried away by one or two flashes and daydream about what it could be. Just observe the early 20s players of other teams that performed. They played admirably in this tournament and ours did not. The difference is that these kids were playing under the calming influences of the teammates who are older as well as experienced and whose preformances could be counted on in any given day. I think we will reach there in about five years. We will have 30yr olds playing along with a sprinkling of a few talented 20yr olds. The young phenoms in the squad will be the exception and not the norm. You may scream or wish for it to come sooner but there are no shortcuts. It has to grow and take hold. It takes time. The so called overnight successes are just the flipsides of overnight failures. Please be patient and give these coaches and players the time they need.

Last edited by LateCut; March 21, 2011 at 05:06 PM..