facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2013, 01:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team
Default Shahbag Projonmo Chattor

Although every thing started with hanging of Kader Molla, but Public Demands in Shahbag are taking following shape:

রাজাকারের ফাঁসি চাই, পদ্মা সেতুর লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, হলমাক কেলেংকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই, শেয়ার বাজার লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, ডেসটিনি-র লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, খামব্বা মামুনদের ফাঁসি চাই , ২১ আগষ্টের হত্যাকারীদের ফাঁসি চাই , সাগর রুনী হত্যাকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই বিশ্বজিত হত্যাকারীদের ফাঁসি চাই , , লিমন হত্যাকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই , বিডিয়ার বিদ্রোহের পেছনের শক্তিদের ফাঁসি চাই , দশ ট্রাক অস্থ আমদানীকারকদের ফাঁসি চাই। যারা এদেশের স্বাধীনতা বিরূধী তাদের ফাঁসি চাই...ফাঁসি চাই...... ফাঁসি চাই.................. ফাঁসি চাই...।

Do you think, people can hold on to their demands for long enough to force a decision?

#shahbag trending on tweeter

Last edited by BANFAN; February 7, 2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old February 7, 2013, 01:51 PM

Well, I want justice to be served.

Judge/court will decide what might the verdicts are IMHO.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:45 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

[Through some timely coincidence, a friend of mine unearthed this article today. The quote I highlighted fits this thread even better than the ICT thread]

When Jalal Alamgir tragically died a little more than a year ago, Bangladesh lost one of its most perceptive and astute scholars. This clairvoyant piece, written at the start of the war crimes tribunal process, does not only seek to describe the merits of such a process but addresses a much broader and complex issue: the need for what he calls "a reflective search for truth"

I would encourage everyone to read it. I will highlight this particular (albeit long) passage in light of recent events:

"We need to get past fanaticism and finally begin a reflective search for truth. The trials at hand must set this as the goal. In the process, if counter-narratives come out, they should be given equal hearing and publicity. There are "dark sides" to 1971 that are due for open discussion, including war crimes against Biharis. And we may also find that some atrocities had less to do with liberation and more to do with settling family feuds.

As the trail of blood is traced, questions about our murky post-1971 history will come to the fore. The government must not suppress these questions, even though they will unsettle childhood friendships, or sully business reputations, or rattle political marriages.

After forty years, intimate ties between those labeled as "collaborators" and those on the side of "freedom fighters" have flourished up the rungs of leadership. We know accusations will swirl around many, but only a handful will be punished formally.

In this essay, I am making the following case:
We should recognise honestly that after decades of complexities, secret deals, and depraved politics, justice, though necessary and urgent, will be limited.

Such limited justice can be morally justified only by a long-term commitment to truth.

To prioritise truth, we must de-prioritise capital punishment. In 1941, years before the Nuremberg trials, Winston Churchill planned summary executions for fifty top Nazis at war's end. He considered this punishment a political decision, not a legal matter. But Harry Truman, the American president, wanted a tribunal. Josef Stalin cast the deciding vote. As the human rights scholar Geoffrey Robertson explained, Stalin "loved show trials as long as everyone was shot in the end."

And so a severely flawed tribunal was held at Nuremberg. It punished crimes against humanity by using inhuman standards: twelve Nazis were hanged first and then burnt in the ovens of Dachau, one of the German concentration camps.

Nuremberg's moment of success was not in the verdict but in the courtroom, when the Nazis were shown reels of the horrors that they had created. Some of them wept and sat stunned, as they came to grips with the truth. The punishment from exposing openly and publicly what they had done to humanity was far more compelling than what Churchill's planned executions might have produced. It is from this public record that the world's aversion to genocide began and Nazism, as an ideology, received its death penalty."

To Read More
Old February 7, 2013, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Thanks Novo.

And I strongly believe that the trial be widened and not kept limited to the collaborators. If these collaborators are hanged right now, a lots of evidence to establish the real criminals will be lost. As such this heinous criminals will never get a justice in this world.

At this point Shahbag looks like getting much more wider than just war criminals.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

people are already talking about Bangla Spring. Just found something called @bangla_spring AND #shahbag and #banglaspring have started to trend.

Let's see what happens.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

^^^ noticed #BanglaSpring surfacing on fb .... dekha jak... Pohela Falgun (Spring) ekhono 5 din baki...
Old February 7, 2013, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Although every thing started with hanging of Kader Molla, but Public Demands in Shahbag are taking following shape:

রাজাকারের ফাঁসি চাই, পদ্মা সেতুর লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, হলমাক কেলেংকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই, শেয়ার বাজার লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, ডেসটিনি-র লুটেরাদের ফাঁসি চাই, খামব্বা মামুনদের ফাঁসি চাই , ২১ আগষ্টের হত্যাকারীদের ফাঁসি চাই , সাগর রুনী হত্যাকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই বিশ্বজিত হত্যাকারীদের ফাঁসি চাই , , লিমন হত্যাকারিদের ফাঁসি চাই , বিডিয়ার বিদ্রোহের পেছনের শক্তিদের ফাঁসি চাই , দশ ট্রাক অস্থ আমদানীকারকদের ফাঁসি চাই। যারা এদেশের স্বাধীনতা বিরূধী তাদের ফাঁসি চাই...ফাঁসি চাই...... ফাঁসি চাই.................. ফাঁসি চাই...।

Do you think, people can hold on to their demands for long enough to force a decision?

Its called dilution of demands - need to be focused in their demands - the more they want the less probable it will become. Typical!
Old February 7, 2013, 03:30 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Chai na ar shoshoner rajniti
Shob kichu hariye nisshesh
Dekhte chai ekhon muktir joti
Ami eka, Ami michil, Ami Bangladesh

Disillusioned by the blood sucking politics
I have lost everything in this violent mesh
Yearning for the light of freedom
I am alone, I am million, I am Bangladesh

#Shahbag
Old February 7, 2013, 05:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Its called dilution of demands - need to be focused in their demands - the more they want the less probable it will become. Typical!
Not necessarily. Every revolution is sparked by an issue and that every time widens. Revolutions don't happen on every issue and every day. Not sure if this will turn into a revolution yet.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

#Shahbag
Superb ..!! I'm tweeting this by the way...
Old February 7, 2013, 05:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

^thanks. you can just take it from my twitter account and retweet it. taile koshto kore lekhar mullayon ta pabo. naile emniteo share korte partam. no copyrights required
Old February 7, 2013, 07:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Loved how the crowd adamantly resisted the attempted political hijacking of the protests. I've been expecting the people to rise eventually against these bloodsucking politicians who have been operating with impunity for over two decades now. Protests like this will continue to occur as long as the people are suppressed and hopefully grow in severity leading to changes for the better.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

Hobe hobe bhai, shobi hobe !! Manush bhuley gesilo kivabe dabi adaye kore nite hoy. Manush ei shob issue bhule jaye ni. Khali dorkar chilo ekta boro matrar upolokkho. Otit e ki korchi na korchi, ei shob niye ekhon ar doladoli na kori, shamne ki korte hobe shetai ekhon dekhar bishoy !!

Old February 7, 2013, 09:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

#Shahbag
FB e dita miya, okhan theke share martam. Onek bhalo hoiche !!
Old February 7, 2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

What gives me hope with the ongoing Shahbag demonstration is that, once again, the young have not only cast aside their indifference but also are also casting aside the venal politicians who were seeking to capitalize this grassroots groundswell. I hope that the spirit will not be quashed like the Occupy movement has been but the movement grows beyond the current calls for death towards rescuing the governance of the country from the current crooked politicians.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

I disagree with Doc. It doesn't take much to be culturally programmed by youth to paint "razakarer fashi chai" when they are just parroting their parents back. While it is important to know one's roots and culture and history it is also important to form an intelligent decision on one's own which is informed and individual of others validation.

If I had a child, I'd emphasize more on his own ability to think for himself than just inculcate my own agenda on him or her, however righteous it may be, and expect him to religiously adhere to it.

That's what God do as well. He gave humans free will.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

After a long time Bangladeshis are charged up, focused. Was really impressed to know that they didnt let the politicians take any credit out of this movement. A change is coming for sure. I am really excited
Old February 7, 2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I disagree with Doc. It doesn't take much to be culturally programmed by youth to paint "razakarer fashi chai" when they are just parroting their parents back. While it is important to know one's roots and culture and history it is also important to form an intelligent decision on one's own which is informed and individual of others validation.

If I had a child, I'd emphasize more on his own ability to think for himself than just inculcate my own agenda on him or her, however righteous it may be, and expect him to religiously adhere to it.

That's what God do as well. He gave humans free will.
And what makes you think they are not thinking and just parroting?

Have you spoken to any one of the participants of the demonstrations? You can disagree till the cow comes home, but once you speak to them, you'll realize that free will and ability to think is alive and well in Bangladesh. Yes, I have spoken to quite a few.

Cynicism is no longer cool.

PS; And god has nothing to do with this.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Changing the thread title (temporarily Projonmo Chattor) so that this thread can be the definitive ine for discussion this new movement.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Old February 7, 2013, 09:59 PM
Cricket Guru

This is almost surreal, amazingly powerful and as spirited as it can get, never seen people rise up for a very long time.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Amazingggg. Could not hold my tears watching this video. Thanks a lot sharing and i am sharing it too. Asking others to share it and spread it
Old February 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
And what makes you think they are not thinking and just parroting?

Have you spoken to any one of the participants of the demonstrations? You can disagree till the cow comes home, but once you speak to them, you'll realize that free will and ability to think is alive and well in Bangladesh. Yes, I have spoken to quite a few.

Cynicism is no longer cool.

PS; And god has nothing to do with this.
Well, where do you draw the line? I am not a parent, but how soon you take a kid out of cocoon and point out the Evil, yes with a capital E under the assumption, which of course results from Ego, that it is of Duty to point out right from wrong. Rapists, thugs, murderers, terrorists are all scums of earth that we can all agree on without worrying about bovine interference. Then again, if I had a child, which I don't but got lot of young cousins, I shall certainly not corrupt the youth with my views, which again, are my views.

But, I do not need to interview them personally to know they are not just getting on with the bandwagon. There is a still thick fog of "either you are with us, or against us" policy where dissent is denigrated, unlike of course this forum.

Youth at this age are at a tender age. Their brains are malleable and there is a reason why in Western countries a line is drawn at 18 or 21 for drinking and voting because brains are not developed for matured response.

While in Athens it was of moral obligation as well for citizens to engage in politics, but I think I will safely veer towards a different view than yours when looking at six or seven or eight years old painting their body and being excited about it.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 7, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO5zgFT0Esw

Wish I was there now
Old February 7, 2013, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Well, where do you draw the line? I am not a parent, but how soon you take a kid out of cocoon and point out the Evil, yes with a capital E under the assumption, which of course results from Ego, that it is of Duty to point out right from wrong. Rapists, thugs, murderers, terrorists are all scums of earth that we can all agree on without worrying about bovine interference. Then again, if I had a child, which I don't but got lot of young cousins, I shall certainly not corrupt the youth with my views, which again, are my views.

But, I do not need to interview them personally to know they are not just getting on with the bandwagon. There is a still thick fog of "either you are with us, or against us" policy where dissent is denigrated, unlike of course this forum.

Youth at this age are at a tender age. Their brains are malleable and there is a reason why in Western countries a line is drawn at 18 or 21 for drinking and voting because brains are not developed for matured response.

While in Athens it was of moral obligation as well for citizens to engage in politics, but I think I will safely veer towards a different view than yours when looking at six or seven or eight years old painting their body and being excited about it.
You are speaking only in abstractions and assumptions and basing your opinions on what photo-journalists can sell. Ignore those two kids. The people massing there are not just your easily manipulated teens or twenty-somethings - you have people in their thirties, forties, and fifities - not payjama wearing Marx spewing college students but working men and women - many of my relatives and friends are there.
Closed Thread