facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Support

Support Help & Support

Old August 11, 2007, 08:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Default DJ software - for you DJ folks

I'm looking for a software that can help me feed a pre-selected list of songs into it, and while we're running it during a function, the songs will continue to change like we programmed before. It's basically replacing a DJ (I guess DJ shahastra won't be happy to know this) with a software, except that the songs will be pre-selected.

I was told there are several DJ software out there that will do this. But I would like to get some help from you guys who know something about it. It's for a Holud (or Mehendi if you call it so).

Help please.

Old August 11, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Cant you just do that with WMP. Just add the songs in that order and it will change.

I am pretty sure you are asking for something different cause my solution seems too easy.
Old August 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Guru

I don't know any of those DJ terms, but basically, what I'm looking for is like a mixer...which will mix the songs well enough to make the transition from one song to the other sound "normal". WMP is the backup, I guess
Old August 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Right now I'm trying Lab DJ 1.2 on a trial version. I'm getting overwhelmed seeing the number of items there...what's "deck A" and "deck b"? I'm assuming these are mixer decks? Headphone mixer...what's that for?

Kisui bujhte partesi na...DJ koiii, kola gaach lagaite gelo naki???
Old August 12, 2007, 01:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Kabir,

Virtual DJ is an easy to use DJ software (comes with "software mixer", "software turntable" and all). It is meant for anyone from layman to beginner DJs.

It lets you drag and drop tracks, auto beat-match and all that along with adding effects. IMO, best suited for your requirement.

One of the best DJing software (IMO) is Ableton. It is not as easy to user as virtual DJ and is meant generally for professional DJs.

Being the old-school DJ, i hate all DJing softwares. I still like the good old turntables with actual mixers. But i guess softwares are here and for a good measure, here to stay.

Hope that helps.

P.S: If you only want to sequence tracks as in a playlist, you don't need any DJing software. DJing is definitely not about sequencing tracks.
Old August 12, 2007, 01:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Deck A, Deck B basically represent two audio players (decks). You basically start with one (say, Deck A).

1. Play a track on Deck A.

2. Then add the track that you wish to play next (or wish to mix/beat-match etc) to Deck B.

3. When you feel track on A has played enough, use beat-match and cross-fade to transition from Deck A to B. Once the transition is complete, Deck B is is playing and deck A is out. Softwares has automatic beat-match and cross-fade - use them.

4. When you feel track on B has played enough, use beat-match and cross-fade to transition from Deck B to A. Once the transition is complete, Deck A is is playing and deck B is out.

5. Repeat the above step for all tracks. Some softwares let you add tracks and also let you schedule their transition.

Virtual DJ will ensure smooth transitions (uninterrupted music - no start/end etc).

Hope that helped.

Last edited by DJ Sahastra; August 12, 2007 at 01:49 AM..
Old August 12, 2007, 01:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Man, DJ. You're a lifesaver

That Virtual DJ software...it's awsum. I don't know how to work a few other things though...but manually I'm being able to control many things. Things such as fading one song while the other one starts to play. And you're right, for the kind of thing I want to do in the mehendi, this one will probably suffice.

I have a few questions though...and will post them all together after a bit.

By no means am I going to take away your job. Being an IT professional, I don't believe in "quality" performance using software only...human touch is always necessary. You're the best in what you do...software just allows people like me without money to do an "acceptable" job for small parties...like the mehendi. Moreover, for a party where the songs will be pre-selected (coz the people who will dance already have the songs chosen...so u know), this software will probably suffice. For a party where you need to play the music depending on the audience's likings, that's when there's a need for DJ that arrives. Without a professional DJ like you, those parties won't work.
Old August 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Hi Kabir,

I am happy that it worked out well for you.

In all honesty, most desi DJs who cater to Desi parties seldom do anything beyond playing one-song after another. I once attended a party where the DJ invited me to share his DJing area. He was either playing one track after another or causing "train-wreck" when he was trying to overlay tracks. ("train-wreck" is a horrible transition when beats are not matched). And he didn't even sweat (It is a DJ's worst nightmare to cause train-wreck). I asked him how come he was enjoying all that and his reply was "Man, you don't understand. Desi crowd only need good songs - they are least bothered about mixing or transitions or effects or even train-wrecks."

He was being honest. Actually, the requirements of most parties makes the task of a DJ very simple. Just play some good songs. I was once invited to DJ at an American wedding and the bride and bridegroom actually gave me a list of tracks that they needed to be played - when bride is walking, when vows have been exchanged and so on!

My point is, and i say this to all my friends, please don't call a DJ unless you have to. Have your cousin or friend stand near your laptop. It may take 5-10 minutes to explain to him what to do (select-drag-drop-select-drag-drop with auto-cross fade option on). Hook your laptop's audio output to a good system (or amplifier) and you are all set. Just keep a good list of tracks that are a "hit" and definite crowd pullers.

Last edited by DJ Sahastra; August 12, 2007 at 11:43 PM..