facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old November 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Sampras vs Federer Exhibitions

Best of 3 exhibitions, Pete was up 4-2 in the first, than got broke back to back (Fed said pete missed a few gimmies) lost the next set as well. But what can you expect from a 36 year old who hasn't played a pro in 5 years? I thought he did really well 10 Aces, Broke fed twice ... maybe there was a gentlemens agreement that Fed would go easy on Pete who knows.

Quote:
SEOUL (AFP) — The world's former number one tennis player was no match for the current champion when they met on court Tuesday for only the second time.
In an exhibition match in the South Korean capital, Roger Federer beat Pete Sampras 6-4, 6-3 in a match lasting just 61 minutes.

Serving for the match leading 5-3, Federer was stretched to deuce when he badly mishit a return on 40-30. But he won the next two points for the victory.
After taking the first set 6-4, Federer took four of the first five games in the second set. Sampras showed signs of life in the sixth, winning it easily with the help of his booming serve.

But the 36-year-old American could only muster one more game against the 26-year-old Swiss, whose effortless performance demonstrated why he has been the world number one for four years running.

The Swiss ace is at the peak of his powers, lifting his fourth Masters Cup title on Sunday, whereas Sampras retired from the professional game in 2002.
But the American legend had been working hard on getting back in shape and is unbeaten in three starts on the Jim Courier Outback Champions seniors tour, his first serious tennis since hanging up his racket.

"It was a little tricky situation. I'd been playing well and Pete's been retired for five years," Federer said. "I expected myself to win tonight.

"I am very happy with my performance but I think Pete's still playing very, very well."
In a fast-paced opening set the two players traded two games apiece before Sampras broke Federer's serve in the fifth game. The American won the following game with his signature serve and volley attack to establish an early advantage.

But Federer came back to win the next four games and the set, breaking his opponent's serve twice in the process with an array of shots.

Sampras, known for his powerful serve in his playing days, hit 10 aces in the match compared to Federer's six and put up a good fight. But it was not enough.
"I feel a little disappointed," Sampras said. "But I made Roger sweat a little bit tonight.

"I can still serve quite well but the hardest thing for me is movement," the former number one said. "I was a little careless up on the net and missed a few easy balls. But I think I will play well in the next match."

Federer admitted he was "tensed up a bit" because he was facing one of his heroes. But once he found his rhythm, the Swiss was off and running.

"When I found my range, Pete missed a few too many shots," Federer said. "I was maybe lucky to win the first set. Then I got on a roll and started to relax. I enjoyed the match very much."

The two met at competitive level only once in their careers, in the fourth round of Wimbledon in 2001.

Next up for Sampras and Federer in their three-match exhibition series is Kuala Lumpur on Thursday. Their final Asian stop is Macau on Saturday.

Old November 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cricket Legend

10 aces against federer.... nice.....

federer is such a technically correct player, to me fed is better than Sampras at his prime, although I havent followed sampras as closely as I did fed (and consider me as a casual tennis fan)...

nonetheless, both master of the game...
Old November 20, 2007, 02:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Pete at his prime would destroy Fed. Ace count would go to 30+. No lose misses either. So would Agassi (any court I may add).
Old November 22, 2007, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Sampras really pushed the Fed express on this one, two breakers this time.

Quote:
By Hsu Chuang Khoo
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer said Pete Sampras would be ranked in the top five if he was still a player.

The American, who retired after capturing the last of his record 14 grand slam titles at the U.S. Open in 2002, proved that he was still a force to be reckoned with in an exhibition match against Federer on Thursday.

Although Sampras lost 7-6 7-6, his blistering 210 kph first serves impressed the Swiss.

"It was very difficult to read his serve," said Federer, who is two grand slam titles from equalling Sampras' record.

"I think if he was still playing he would be a top five player."
Sampras, however, has no plans to make a comeback at 36.

"No. It's a tough lifestyle and I'm happy with a great wife and great two kids relaxing in Los Angeles," he told reporters.

Sampras, retired for five years, brought back memories of his no-nonsense style of play during the match and later lamented the demise of serve-and-volley tennis that he put to such good use over the years.

"Serve and volley is extinct," he said.

"In my day we had some great serve-and-volley players. There was myself, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, Goran Ivanisevic and others.

"But with the size of rackets getting bigger, junior players these days are only taught to hit the ball as hard as they can. There are some players who come in but they are not natural serve-and-volleyers."

The match in the Malaysian capital was part of the country's 50 years of independence celebrations.
Old November 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Pete at his prime would destroy Fed. Ace count would go to 30+. No lose misses either. So would Agassi (any court I may add).
Absolutely. Even at 36 and without any pro games for the last five years, he's pushed Federer quite a bit. I find the latter's comment on Sampras being in the top 5 had he still been playing to be an understatement.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Pete at his prime would destroy Fed. Ace count would go to 30+. No lose misses either.
patano khelay lafalafir kisu nai Mijan bhai.

Quote:
So would Agassi (any court I may add).
It sounds like blasphemy to me. Anyway this is what Agassi said about Fed...

Quote:
"Pete (Sampras) was great, no question," he said. "But there was a place to get to with Pete. It could be on your terms.
"There's no such place with Roger. I think he's the best I've played against."

Agassi rates Federer the best

Last edited by reverse_swing; November 23, 2007 at 03:56 PM..
Old November 23, 2007, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru

goat vs goat action

Genius vs Genius

Last edited by cricman; November 23, 2007 at 03:24 PM..
Old November 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Sampras won the third match in straight sets
Old November 28, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
patano khelay lafalafir kisu nai Mijan bhai.
patano khala? bhaloi bolsen. Then I would say Fed has still ways to go to become the ultimate competitor like Tiger (his gigri dost) or MJ. They would never let anyone win even if it exibition, friendly practices, or just pick up game of one-on-one on the street. be it their idol or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
It sounds like blasphemy to me. Anyway this is what Agassi said about Fed...
Both Agassi and Sampras are humbled people. They both have said Federer would get more Grand slams. That proves nothing.